Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Spectrums  by Eärillë

Genres: Character Study, Hurt/Comfort, Family, Spiritual

Rating: PG

Warning: related to war and past torture of prisoner

Term used:
Fana: body, incarnate form (“earthly raiment”), for the Ainur – who are essentially spirits

Notes: Companion piece to my larger ficlet, “Toy Soldiers.” Story-gift for Fiondil, Ellie (Ellfine), KyMahalei, Larner, Dawn Felagund, and Kaylee Arafinwiel. Alternate title: “Hope.”

Summary: Eönwë went forth to battle not without fear.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7

People trickle into the ships like sand in an hour-glass. But mayhaps our lives are now measured so; even us Spirits. Not even Lord Námo knows about the outcome of the battle soon to be waged against our fallen brethren.

6

Fionwë is staring at me knowingly from his position near the prow of the ship. I hope he comes back intact, even if I do not. I cannot bear the thought of informing my family that the Traitor has done to him what he once did to our youngest brother Lúnwë.

5

My heart thuds rapidly in my chest, and blood rushes all around my fana; it only heightens my discomfort. But soon, I might lose the ability to clothe myself in earthly raiment anyway, as the Traitor might capture me and sap away my life-force like the Black Beast did the escence of the Two Trees…

4

Fionwë encases me in a mental embrace. I can barely hold back a start.

`Trust Father, brother mine. Everything shall be all right in the end, and that is the best that we can ask.`

The reckless, impetuous one, who now is giving comfort instead to his elder brother. – The thought somehow steadies me from the panicked state, until, at last, I manage to embrace him back in the same manner.

3

Ilmarë joins us likewise, bringing Lúnwë with her. The time is nearly up. The gangplank is being lifted. Soon the mooring shall join it on the deck.

2

A ghust of wind feeling like a kiss – a kiss farewell. A last squeezing hug.

1

Fionwë gives me a last knowing stare. A faint smile curls up the edges of his lips.

0

Fionwë blows on the horn settled before him. I rig up the banner. We are fairing forth. Home is behind, battle is ahead.

The flagship I am aboard on lurches onward.

To hope, with faith.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List