Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 13 - Beasts in the Night

She tried to hide her smile from the boy. He had earned her respect, but the seriousness with which he spoke reminded her that he was but thirteen and caught in the angst that ran rampant in a boy in his teens. Yet, she could not help but remember all that this particular lad had been through. Catching her upper lip between her teeth, she felt her eyes moisten.

"We are traveling at night, for the moment," she began. "We will stop in the Grey Wood."

"I heard all that," he interrupted. "What are the plans for Faramir? Where are we taking him? Why did we leave Minas Tirith?" His face turned into a deep scowl as he reeled off question after question. "If you are planning on leaving me at Edoras or Aldburg you had best think again. I will not renounce my vow!" His voice had slowly risen in pitch; his youth betrayed by his voice as it broke in a squeak.

"Be still, Théodred," she whispered. "These are not questions to be asked while Faramir lies thus between us. When we finally stop, we will leave Faramir in Listöwel's hands, find some secluded place, and I promise, I will tell you my plans, though, in truth, I have not even discerned exactly what I am doing or where we are headed. Will this suffice for now?"

Théodred nodded and Indis was suddenly aware that morning was nigh; she could see the lad clearly. "Thank you. I meant no disrespect, Prince Théodred. Yet I know not what Faramir is able to hear, and I would keep all discord from him. I know that is your wish too." Again, the lad bobbed his head up and down; Indis smiled. "Would you join us when we break the fast this morning?"

He shook his head. "I will keep my watch over Faramir. It is better if I stay with him in the morning. He seems restless, as if he knows the day has begun and he is left behind." He swallowed and she noted the sorrow in the boy's eyes.

"Very well. I will give an account of all we discuss when we meet."

He lay back down and she waited for the wagon to stop.  They had entered the woods but a short time before.  Winter had fully hit the Grey Wood, snow covering the floor, not hampered even by the thick foliage above them. At that very moment, the baying of wolves was heard. Théodred clambered to the front of the wagon, climbed next to the driver, and pulled his sword. Indis shook Listöwel awake. She heard hoof beats as their escort drew close to the cart.

~*~

"We will continue south in the morning," Elrohir stated quietly. "This is a fell winter; it seems as if the elements conspire against us.  If we go by way of Tharbad, we should find human habitations. We can replenish our supplies and discern our path while we have a roof over our heads."

"Nay. I think we should forego following the Snowbourn and cut straight across the Mark, head directly for Edoras. There is no need to speak with anyone. Our path is clear. We must reach Edoras as quickly as possible, procure new mounts, then I must be off to Minas Tirith." Aragorn's voice was strong and his own; Elladan smiled.

"I believe Estel is in some bit of haste."

"Indeed. I concur, brother." Elrohir turned in pity towards Aragorn. "We will continue to ride with you a little further. The snows make it difficult for hunter to find game." He held up his hand, smiling. "I do not mean you, brother, for I know your skills. Did not Elladan and I teach you them! But," and his voice grew serious, "hunters of a different sort, four legged beasts in need of flesh. We must be wary."

Elladan smiled - more brilliant than the snow. "Do you remember Master Baggins would sing the song the warg's sang when they attacked the Dwarves and him?"

'Bake and toast 'em, fry and roast 'em

till beards blaze, and eyes glaze;

till hair smells and skins crack,

fat melts, and bones black

in cinders lie

beneath the sky!'*

Elladan smiled as he finished the song.

Aragorn stood in amaze. "I had not heard that song. He had performed other songs in Elrond's hall, but that one I do not remember.  It is rather gruesome, is it not?"

"Here, in this desolate place, it does seem that way, but any song, sung in our father's home, carries naught but joy with it." Elrohir laughed. "I remember how our feet tapped in rhythm to the song. Bilbo delights in sharing these things."

"He does," Aragorn whispered. "Hobbits delight in much for they see further than most; they see the simple and are pleased by it.  Like clouds and soap bubbles and rushing water."

Elladan sighed. "It would be pleasant to be seated in the hall now, with harp and song about us. If the snows continue, we may have to content ourselves with mice over the spit."

"A feast for our welcoming home is what I envision.  My mouth waters as I think of the bounty that we might have when we return." Elrohir looked longingly down at the fire, visions of the last feast flooding his memory.

"The song of the owl, the scurry of the mouse, and the grunt of the doe as she calls her babes to her are enough song for me this night. I tire and will sleep now." Aragorn lay down, pulled a cover about him and was soon sleeping soundly.

Elrohir frowned. "He gave me a fright, Elladan," he whispered.  He turned to his brother. "I spoke the truth. We, too, might be susceptible to the wiles of the wizard. Keep watch."

"I will, my brother. I will."

They settled for the night, eyes slits in stilled faces; no need for sentries for vigilance was ever nigh.

*song from The Hobbit, JRRT





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List