Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 12 - Trials

"Hush, Indis. Fear not. 'Tis I, Baranor. We are stopping at the Grey Wood. 'Tis almost morning and we thought 'twould be safer to travel by night."

"Are we already through the North Gate? Did they not stop us and search the wagon?"

Baranor chuckled. "If you had Gorlim and Gildor facing you in the livery of the Steward's own Guard would you not open the gate? Never fear," he said quickly as he saw indignation in those startling grey eyes, "the sentries are not at fault. Prince Imrahil wrote orders for our group to pass. The guard did their duty."

"And it is almost morning?"

"Aye. In less than an hour the sun will rise. We should be in the wood by then. I considered stopping at the fortress at Amon Dîn, but thought better of it."

Indis smiled. "We did the same on the trip here. Thought better of many things. But none seemed to help in the end." Her voice trailed off and Baranor stood silent.

"How is the Lord Faramir?"

She took the boy's hand in hers and rubbed it lightly. "The same. His eyes open once in awhile and I have hope. But they see nothing."

"Is it some malady or some trickery?"

"I know not. Is Siriondil with us?"

"Aye. He joined us at the North Gate. It is much to Ragnhild's dismay that he is here and not she. He would not let her join us. Some illusion that life goes on must be kept in the City, he said. She will remain Faramir's nurse for all to see." He smiled. "She is a good one for deceit, I will give you that."

"What mean you by that?" The tone of Indis' voice caused the smile on Baranor's face to fade.

"I meant no disrespect for your counselor, Lady Indis. All fear her. If she tells them something, none has the temerity to question it. She is curt and efficient. When she tells them she is taking care of Faramir, all will believe it. She also has Ioreth as ally. The woman might talk a man's head off, but she does not say anything." He smiled. "I like that woman."

She heaved a sigh and touched the Captain's hand. "Forgive me. I slept hardly at all this night and when I did my dreams were not pleasant."

"My Lady. You are Regent to the Steward. I beg forgiveness from you."

"Let us not have words over this. Let us reach the wood quickly and camp. The jolting of this wagon can do naught to help Faramir's condition."

Baranor saluted and left the wagon. She heard the creak of leather as he mounted and shortly afterwards the cart moved. She lay back and tried to sleep, but it eluded her.

She felt a hand on her shoulder. Surprised to think it might be Baranor once again, she looked closely into the dark of their wagon. Théodred stared back at her. She drew in her breath. 'What have we said? Were there things spoken of that the boy should not have heard?' She quickly wracked her brain, trying to remember.

"You spend too much time trying to hide things from me," the boy said quietly. "I am old enough to have seen one I love murdered before my very eyes. I am old enough to have taken vows and kept them. I am old enough to gain some respect at least."

~*~

Elrohir stood and glared at anything that his eyes lit upon. Elladan stood back until his brother's anger subsided. After only a moment, Elrohir turned to him. "Estel is correct." Elladan opened his mouth to speak, but Elrohir silenced him with a sign. He turned and walked towards Aragorn.

"Estel. You speak wisely. You have since you began training with us so very long ago. You rode in silence, learned your lessons well, and became a great warrior for the Elves of the Last Homely House and then a great Ranger for all of Middle-earth. No man surpasses you in wisdom. Your words carry such great weight."

Aragorn still had his back to him, not answering, not even showing any sign that he listened to his elder brother.

"If you would but look at the situation we face. You seemed for but a few moments to be under a spell of some kind. Whether the wizard is to blame or not is a question we need not answer now. What we need answer, Estel, is whether or not we all," and he emphasized all by putting his hand on Aragorn's shoulder, "whether we all have been enchanted?"

Elrohir sighed. Elladan had joined them and grimaced at how much Elrohir's sigh sounded like their father's.

Aragorn turned in surprise. "You seem to know who you are, what you are about. How can you believe you are afflicted as well?"

"Estel, you seemed just as clear-minded as Elladan and I until the fit took you. Who is to say the same thing will not happen to us? I said you were under attack because I saw the fruits of that attack in your response to us. Am I so proud to think that the spell that was laid upon you could not also be laid upon me?"

He took Aragorn by both arms and looked him in the eye. "We cannot return to Imladris until we discover if all of us have been affected, how long the spell lasts, and whether it even can be lifted. These are questions that must be answered before we go any further."

Elladan muttered, "Can we even go on with our quest? How can we help the young boy if we attack each other?"

Aragorn moaned and fell to his knees. "I must help him. I must."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List