Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 14 - Songs to Heal the Heart

"There is no cause for alarm, my Lady," Baranor called through the cart’s flap. "It is wolves only and they are in the Drúadan Forest. We will camp here for the day. Would you join us as we break the fast?"

Indis pulled back the flap and nodded. He held his hand out and she accepted it, stepping onto the rear step then jumping down. Listöwel followed. The two women walked hand in hand to the fire that blazed. The smell of coffee and rabbit filled the air. Someone had been hunting; thankfully, it was not the wolves.

"Who do we have to thank for this fine repast?" Indis laughed. "Fit for the halls of Denethor have you made it."

"Gorlim made the coffee. The chuckbox is full and we shall eat well, if naught happens to disturb our plans."

She smiled. "Naught always happens. But I am most grateful for the coffee."

"And the rabbit?" Listöwel asked.

"That was the duty of Gildor. And I sliced the potatoes."

Gildor bowed before them and then turned back to the heavily laden spit. Three young rabbits, still pink, roasted above the fire.

She rinsed her hands and sat by the fire. The others sat around her. "Let us not discuss what we are about until after we have broken our fast. The food smells wonderful and I would give us a moment’s peace."

Gildor turned the spit and hummed. The song was an old ballad of Ulmo and of his love of Númenor and the sea. The song was as old as Gondor itself and all knew it well. Even the children would sing it in the mornings.

Watching the clouds slide across the sky, Indis could imagine the great sea lord sending droplets of water into the sky thus creating the white puffs that skimmed across the mountains before her. She joined her voice with Gildor’s.

"Shield me, secure me,

Shelter me from harm.

Encircle me; protect me.

Take me in your arms.

Ulmo, Lord of Waters, make me yours.

I stand upon the sea and look towards Westernesse.

Lost so very, very long ago.

My heart cries out to stand again on Westernesse

And hear your lapping laughter on her shores.

Shield me, secure me.

Shelter me from harm.

Encircle me; protect me.

Take me in your arms.

Ulmo, Lord of Waters, make me yours.

The woodland and the lowlands, the marshes and the bogs

The hills and plains, and Meneltarma’s peak.

The seagulls call from bay to bay and o’er the great sea’s swells

And rivers flowing swiftly to her shores.

Shield me, secure me.

Shelter me from harm.

Encircle me; protect me.

Take me in your arms.

Ulmo, Lord of Waters, make me yours.

"Boromir!" The cry ripped the silence that followed the song’s plea. Indis ran to the wagon and climbed in. Faramir lay quiet. She looked at Théodred in wonder.

"I do not know what happened. It was not the way it always has been. He opened his eyes for a moment and cried out. But it was not pain, my Lady Indis. It seemed more sadness this time." Théodred burst into tears.

"Hush. Do not fear, Théodred. Perhaps it is a sign that he is healing. Take heart, my young prince."

~*~

The night was not restful. At least, not for Aragorn. He tossed and turned in his sleep. Elrohir had lain close by and noted the quickened breathing, the thrashing. Once, he put his hand upon Aragorn’s arm and the touch seemed to calm his brother. Elladan lay nearby, sorrow in his eyes.

"Do you feel any different?" Aragorn suddenly said. His eyes were wide open though the night was not yet done.

Elrohir knew why he asked. "I do not," he said quietly, his brow furrowing. "Do you?"

Aragorn put his hands to his forehead and rubbed vigorously. "I do not and that frightens me. I did not feel any different before the – let us call it a fit – before that struck me. I do not want it to happen again."

Elladan smiled. "We are ready, if it does, Estel. Do not be concerned. We will protect you and not let you harm either of us. I promise."

Aragorn sighed and stood up. "I wish to travel. Dawn is near; the sky colours slightly. Would you mind?"

"Nay. Let us start a fire, make some food, and we can be on our way before morning fully breaks."

"Please," Aragorn said quietly.

"Now?" Elladan asked.

"Aye. I cannot eat. I must be away. I need to know we are at least making some headway." He shook his head. "You must think me weak."

"Weak-headed to suggest such a thing," Elrohir smiled to take the sting from his words. "We have seen you at your worst, Estel, and this was not it."

Aragorn smiled. "You promised not to mention that incident again." The smile became more brilliant. "If father ever heard…"

"I will say no more, brother. Except perhaps that you think too little of yourself. I believe, if it had been any other man, the wizard’s damage would be irreversible. I do not think that now. My hope is that, as we travel further from his influence, we will all be safer."

"I hope that too. I behave like a fool. Let us eat and then be on our way."

Elladan moved towards the fire and poured the tea. Elrohir broke a loaf of their bread into three pieces and lathered them with honey. Estel saddled his horse. When all was prepared, Elrohir called him and he joined them.

"We should reach Edoras in four days if the snows do not hamper us."

Aragorn stood up, his bread in hand. "We can eat this, mounted and traveling."

Elladan sighed. "If you wish, Estel, we will go." He rolled his blanket, poured handfuls of snow upon the embers, and then stirred them until they stopped hissing. He laid another small layer of snow over the top. "There! We are ready."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List