Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

Forelithe 1431SR

He sits on a warm stone in the sunshine, black eyes bright and full of intelligence. Slugs and assorted flying insects are not safe when he is around, although Sam marvels that he does not seem to trouble the helpful insects. Ladybirds and bees fly by with impunity, but let greenfly or blackfly appear and the toad soon snatches them from the air. A big fat bluebottle is caught on his long sticky tongue and swallowed with a satisfied gulp.

       "That's right, my lad, you eat those all you like."

       Large as a saucer and reckoned to be at least twenty years old, he has been a part of life at Bag End since before the Quest. The children have named their garden resident 'Mr Pootle.' He takes no notice of Rufus as he wanders the Bag End gardens, and even little Sooty has decided to leave him alone. Young Sooty once rested a paw on the great toad's back, only to be disconcerted by the lack of reaction. The disgusting taste when he licked that paw made him foam at the mouth and Frodo had to wash the little cat's mouth out with cool fresh water. Now he gives Mr Pootle a very wide berth, staring suspiciously as he lumbers ponderously by on some errand of his own.

       Frodo smiles as he watches Sam chatting to the creature. The children have been out to inspect their friend before Ellie and Fro left for school and Rose is always careful not to stand on him when she hangs out the washing. Frodo wonders what happened to the toad while the ruffians were around. He was obviously a very sensible creature and stayed out of their way, camouflaged against soil and stones.

       "Look, Goldie. This is Mr Pootle and he helps your Da to look after the garden."

       He holds little Goldie so she can see the toad as he clambers up onto a larger rock. She probably cannot see well yet but she watches with interest. In time she will come to love the toad and look upon him as a guardian of the garden.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List