Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

For all who wanted to know how Bag End's garden toad acquired his name.

20th Halimath 1430SR

       "Now, is everyone settled?"

       Frodo opened the book and glanced round at the expectant faces. The lads now had their own room but the lasses had joined them for the bedtime story. Pip-lad was in his cot, sucking his thumb and gazing solemnly at them. The four older children were sitting together, propped against the pillows and waiting eagerly for Uncle Fro to read to them. He had been away at Brandy Hall for a while and they were delighted to have him back.

       "Yes, Uncle Fro!"

       "So - what is it to be tonight?" It was a book from Dale, full of legends and fantastic tales, which Legolas had brought back for the Gangee children on his most recent visit.

       "Read the one about the garden fairy!" they chorused.

       "Once upon a time there was a beautiful garden. It was sunny and warm, sheltered from the wind by a fine old wall. All sorts of flowers grew there, and herbs, fruit and tasty vegetables for the kitchen. The gardener was gentle and patient and loved his plants......"

       "Just like Sam-dad!"

      "Yes, just like your Sam-dad. Of course the gardener thought that the garden's beauty was all due to his efforts and care, but he would have been very surprised to learn that others looked after it too. In the rockery lived a strange and rather plain little creature. During the day she remained out of sight for fear of frightening people, cool in the shelter of the damp stones, but at night, when the light of the stars and the moon filled the garden with silvery light and odd shadows, she crept out to visit all the plants in her beloved garden. No-one knew what kind of creature she was, but her name was Pootle.      

       "When the moonlight fell upon her plain features she became transformed. Her back straightened, her hair grew long and curling, she wore a pretty dress of pale silvery blue and, most wondrous of all, she grew....................."

       "Wings!" cried the children excitedly.

       "...........wings, shimmering and translucent. On her head was a little cap made from flower petals, and he tiny feet were bare.     

       "She took her watering can and little trimmers and flew to the tops of the fruit trees, where any diseased buds or fruit were snipped off, ledt they harm the tree. Tiny seedlings were watered, seeds were collected and dried before being sprinkled in exactly the right spot to grow and make the gardens even more beautiful. All night she worked, singing sweetly as she stroked the leaves and whispered to the trees to grow tall.

       "When the sun began to peep over the hills she hastened back to her damp home, her body and clothes changing and her wings disappearing. In her little house she made breakfast, then curled up in her bed to sleep for a while and visit the Land of Dreams. Around her, the garden was waking and new flower buds were opening. The gardener might believe that he was solely responsible for the garden's magnificent appearance but the flowers knew the truth."

         Frodo closed the book and smiled at the sleepy children. "Now I think you too are ready to visit the Land of Dreams." He kissed the lads, lifted Rosie-lass and took Ellie's hand and led the lasses across the passage to their room.

                                                                          **********

       The next morning, and the day before Uncle Frodo's birthday. The children were all out in the garden, exploring and helping to sweep at the same time. Merry-lad spotted the huge toad sitting on a flat stone in the sunshine and leaned down to touch him.

       "I wonder if we have a garden fairy who looks after things for Sam-dad?" Ellie was saying.

       "Where would she be during the day?" asked Fro. "We should try and find her."

       "I know where she is!" cried little Rosie, pointing to the toad.

       "Don't be silly! That doesn't look like a fairy!" retorted Fro. Rosie poked her tongue out.

       "Pootle doesn't look like a fairy in daytime."

       "She's Pootle!" said Merry-lad, his face glowing with belief.

       "Mr Pootle," Ellie corrected. "He's a lad, isn't he, Uncle Fro?"

       "Yes, he is."

       "There are lad fairies?" Fro and Rosie-lass demanded..

       Ellie rolled her eyes and replied with all the superiority of an older sister. "Of course there are, otherwise there wouldn't be any new fairies!"

       Frodo hastily disguised his snort as a cough. "Quite right, Elanorelle. There are certainly lad fairies." He looked down at the toad. "Well, Mr Pootle, it seems you are a great help to Sam and long may you continue. Your secret is safe with us."

       "What's all this - a secret council?" Sam approached, on his way to the compost heap with a barrow full of clippings and plants past their best.

       "That's Mr Pootle. He's a fairy - a lad fairy!" Rosie-lass explained. "At night he changes and he looks after the garden and makes sure all the flowers are happy."

       "Does he now?" Sam squatted on his haunches.He was careful not to meet Frodo's eyes or they would both laugh. "That's mighty good and helpful of him. We have to be careful where we tread so as not to hurt him. He'll eat all the bad insects and greenfly and some slugs too." He watched his younger daughter stroke the toad's head. "Now you make sure you wash your hands. He has bumps on his back where he makes nasty-tasting stuff so's no other creature eats him."

       "Bye-bye, Mr Pootle!" they cried. "We'll come back and see you soon."

       Sam chuckled and looked down at the toad. "Just our secret then lad." He winked at the creature and although he never told a soul, he could have sworn that Mr Pootle winked back.

                                                                         **********

       "Can we have one of your stories tonight, Uncle Fro?"

       "Oh yes please! Tell us about our garden fairy!"

       "Tell us about Mr Pootle. What does he wear when he's a fairy?"

       "Where does he live?"

       "Is there a Mrs Pootle?"

       Frodo held up his hands, laughing. "Quiet then and I shall tell you." He leaned back in the chair and began:

       "Once upon a time......................................





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List