Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

                                                                  Hidden Treasure

Summer 1433 SR

Rose fought the urge to pinch herself. Sitting in her parlour were two of the greatest Elven lords left in Middle-earth. Sprawled comfortably on the couch - and cradling the tiny twins Hamfast and Daisy - was Glorfindel, warrior of Imladris, legendary Balrog-slayer and Lord of the House of the Golden Flower. In Gandalf's old chair sat the King of Eryn Lasgalen with little Goldie asleep on his chest.

       "I've brought you some tea, my lords." She placed a tray on the small circular table with an effort. Big People's teapots were heavy. "Shall I take Goldie now, my lord Thranduil? She'll be in the way while you'trying to have your tea."

       "Oh I think we can manage, my dear Mistress Rose. She is a very sweet child and she seems to be sleeping quite soundly."

       "Well if you're sure. I'd better feed the twins though. I'll just fetch some cake." She hurried out of the room, leaving two delighted Elf-lords grinning. She was back almost immediately and placed a large plate on the table before gathering the twins. "Will you be alright? I assume you know how to pour a cup of tea, my lord. Should be simple after facing a Balrog, the Witch-King and Lord Namo." She twinkled at Glorfindel and trotted out in a swirl of blue skirts.

       Thranduil shook his head bemusedly. "I have lived through several ages of the world but I feel as though I've been .............." he waved a hand as he sought for the right word.

       "Mothered?" the blond Noldo suggested, walking to the table and pouring two cups of tea. "Yes, Rose is a remarkable being in her own right. Shall I be mistress of the house?"

       "I doubt Mistress Rose would allow that, but I'm sure you can manage to pour tea without too much difficulty."

       The leader of the armies of Rivendell examined the contents of the plate and whistled. It was a trick he had learned from the Dunedain and Celebrian used to scold him for it, particularly when he taught little Arwen how to make a very un-ladylike whistle with her fingers in the corners of her mouth. No doubt very few people knew that the Queen of Gondor could have summoned her husband from anywhere in the Citadel if she so chose.

        "Now this is Rose Gamgee's celebrated coffee and walnut cake if I am not mistaken!"

       Within seconds the two Elves were happily scoffing the famous cake. Glorfindel noted that Thranduil seemed much more relaxed these days. The Fall of Sauron, avenging the death of Oropher, and the overthrow of Dol Guldur had led to better days in the Greenwood. The spiders and other fell creatures had been much easier to defeat without the guiding influence of the Dark Lord's will and Greenwood was Great once more.

       Goldilocks snuggled closer to the Elven King. She had toddled into the room and held out her arms with cries of "Up! Up!" and Thranduil obliged. He had first made the acquaintance of hobbit younglings during the visit to Gondor for Elessar's hundredth birthday and had been charmed.

       "Is that also cherry cake I can see?" he now enquired, one eyebrow lifting.

       "It is indeed." Glorfindel proffered the laden plate and they enjoyed another of Rose's specialities.

       "I wonder how she manages to keep the cherries spread through the cake? They usually sink to the bottom, don't they?"

       "I usually halve the cherries and dust them with flour, my lord Thranduil," Rose answered, slipping silently round the door. "That was my old gammer's solution to the problem and it seems to work."

       "Remarkable! I can see why my son loves to visit the Shire."

       "And we love having him here. And we are delighted to welcome you too, my lord. Sam and Frodo should be back soon. We knew surprise guests were coming but I'm sure they'll never guess who!"

       Goldilocks stirred, smiled up at Thranduil and gave him a hug. "Fank oo for my nap," she said with a beaming smile, and scampered off with her mother for tea.

       "You are most welcome, little one." Thranduil sat back with a look of great peace and contentment on his face, and sipped his tea.

                                                                         ************

       Frodo and Sam returned from Michel Delving to find the Party Field full of Elves and their attendant audience of hobbits. The Twins and Legolas were familiar faces but one they were delighted to see again was Haldir. The former Marchwarden of Lorien was on his first visit to the Shire and he was finding it a strange and wonderful experience.

       Assured that other surprises awaited them at Bag End, Frodo and Sam hurried along, stabled their horses and went straight to the kitchen. Rose and the children were resolutely tight-lipped about the guests in the parlour and, realising they were not going to be given any more information, the two hobbits hastened to see just who was there.

       "Glorfindel!" they both cried out in surprise as they saw the golden-haired Elf, who embraced them eagerly. As he hugged Glorfindel, Frodo noticed another Elf, one he did not know, who now stood and advanced slowly.

       "Frodo Baggins, at your service and your family's," he said, bowing. "You're Lord Thranduil, father of one of my dearest friends. Your son looks a lot like you."

       The Elven King bowed to the two hobbits. "I remember your cousin Bilbo. I came to learn that hobbits are remarkable, and you are both the finest examples of that. I have long wished to meet you and I honour you both."

       "Samwise Gamgee, at your service, and your family's, your majesty." Sam bowed.

       "Did Elessar not tell you that you bow to no-one? We are all indebted to you. Had the Dark Lord not fallen when he did, the Greenwood would have been a burned ruin and my people scattered or slaughtered. It is thanks to you that the Greenwood flourishes."

       "I should think the Greenwood must be a real sight - all those beautiful trees growing tall and strong." Sam's voice was full of the love and reverence he felt for growing things.

       "You must come and visit it, and see it in all its glory."

       Frodo laughed. "I fear the peace of the Greenwood might be a little unsettled if we bring the entire family!"

       "Not at all. The laughter and joy of the Shirefolk and the playful young hobbits would only enhance it." He watched the smiles on the faces of the Ringbearers, and then he noticed something else. Both shone with a dazzling light, one mithril silver and the other warm gold, and those lights spoke to each other. Neither hobbit seemed to be aware of the awe in the faces of both Elves, but Sam spoke for both.

       "We should go and wash and change our clothes. Rose won't allow us to the table like this! She's cooking roast chicken and I'm not missing that. If you'll excuse us, my lords. Enjoy your tea and we'll be back in no time."

       Thranduil gazed after them, his expression one of shock, awe and admiration. "I never set foot in Valinor but surely those are the lights of the Two Trees!"

       Glorfindel nodded. "The greatest treasure of the Valar lives on in the Shire, hidden from prying eyes. The Lady Yavanna may not have been able to re-create the Trees but that light has reappeared in our beloved Ringbearers."

       "How the Valar must rejoice, to see these two. How fitting that their lights drove away the darkness. Now I understand what Legolas meant when he told me there was hidden treasure in the Shire."

       "Indeed. I think we're really going to enjoy this visit and something tells me that it will not be our last."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List