Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Cling and Clatter  by Yuna_Dax

Title – Cling And Clatter – Chapter 12 – Moving On

Author - Julesmonster AKA Yunadax

Rating  – PG 13

Summery - Having confronted the demons of his past Legolas and Aragorn begin the journey back to Rivendell

Disclaimer – they do, I don't. Bugger bugger bugger. The first song is Goldie's Theme from the Water Rats Soundtrack, the second is Who's Got My Back? by Creed. The poem in the middle is Invictus by William Ernest Henley.

Authors Notes - This is chapter 12 of a series, please read the other 11 if you want to make any sense of this what so ever. This also heavily ties in with my other fic, Faded Ashes, one would also be advised to read that before proceeding

Dedication – Sonbon and the Ratpak Gals, Katiemunchkin and all my reviewers. Thanks!! 

 

Moving On

Tell me when this day is over

Tell me I'm dreaming

Tell me that this pain is over

Just take me away.

Wake me when the game is over

I'm drownin'

With their bags packed with the meager items within their possession, the crown Prince of the ruined city and the King of Gondor started back towards the magnificence of Rivendell. Silently they strode along the black ruins of Mirkwood, pausing here and there where Legolas wished to pay his respects one last time by a particular gravesite. They passed the rough-hewn mound where the oldest of the Princes lay and Legolas paused once more, his eyes downcast on the blackened charm embossed with the crest of a peacock. He whispered a prayer to the Valar, asking for them to care for his brothers' needs until he arrived himself. When his prayer was completed he turned and glanced at the man behind him, his eyes speaking volumes of thanks for the continued support as they once again turned and headed towards the green in the distance.

Once again moving the pair continued walking for the remainder of the day; little conversation passed between then as the distance out of the devastated area grew shorter. Nearing nightfall they camped by the scarred remnants of one of the great trees, only picking at their food before taking turns watching out for predators. Aragorn took the first watch, murmuring songs of old as he gazed into the stars above. They offered cold distant comfort and they shone unendingly from the heavens, oblivious to the emotions roiling beneath them.

Legolas slept fitfully, tossing and turning, trying vainly to find a position where sleep would be free of unwanted dreams. As he turned he caught the words of a poem Aragorn was singing softly.

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,

I am the master of my fate

I am the captain of my soul.

Legolas contemplated the words of the poem as he lay in the ash, his mind twisting the words this way and that until full comprehension dawned upon him. He had play the part of the victim for the past year, wallowing in his grief and lacking in self-worth, yet after the events of the past days and hearing the poem from Aragorn, he now felt in somewhat control of his perilous emotions. He was in control, in control of his soul, and in control of his life. Yes terrible things happen to those with whom one cares about, but the most fitting tribute is to continue living a full life. He mulled over this revelation for a while, allowing it to digest within his mind and heart before slowly rising and sitting propped up against a blackened trunk.

" What was that song?" he asked quietly, careful not to startle his companion. Aragorn looked thoughtful for a while, as if contemplating the answer himself.

" Its something I read in Elrond's library many years ago when I was but a boy. He also spoke it to me while I grieved the loss of my childhood companion during the war at Isengard. I know not its origins, only that it speaks truth within its lines. "

Legolas nodded, his eyes bright with starlight and emotion. He understood the words, their meaning, and the reasoning behind them. They charged his soul with purpose and set his mind at ease.

Feeling he had no more to offer Aragorn settled into the inky ground to sleep, almost instantly asleep as his body relaxed against the soft surface. Within his own mind he relived the days of the war at Isengard. Deaths were high amongst men and elves, and many whom were dear to him lost their lives in the struggle. Painful memories flashed before his eyes as he slept, oblivious to the blue eyes watching over him.

Legolas gazed at the sleeping King, amazed at how easily the man found rest. He had tried unsuccessfully for several hours to find the rest of sleep, yet none came at his bidding. Resolving that humans could in fact sleep anywhere, anytime if they wanted too the elf turned his attention back to the trees and stars around him.

Quietly the Prince rose to his feat, careful not to disturb the sleeping form and placed his palm on the blacken trunk of a great oak. His soul felt stretched being around death for so long and he yearned for the simple pulsing of life beneath the bark of a tree. For many long moment he waited, willing the tree to be alive somewhere underneath the evil Saruman had cast upon it. He had almost given up when he felt a weak thready pulse rise to meet his fingertips. It was alive! Joy assulted his heart and his soul leapt up from within the pits of despair. There was life here, tortured and ruined, but still it was life.

He felt the connection deepen through the contact of his palm, the ancient tree overjoyed with the return of one of its keepers. Slowly but surely, one by one other songs of life began to emanate around him. Subtle vibrations beneath his feet told him the earth was once again beginning to live, now having realised one of its village-people were alive. A smile spread across Legolas' face, his eyes closed and streaming with tears of joy. Given a few years this land would recover from its torment; it would forever bear the scars of its incineration, but life would once again take its course of death and rebirth.

For hours Legolas stood feeling the connection grew deeper still, unaware of all happenings around him. He started when a hand on his shoulder shook him out of his reverie.

" Did I miss something?" Aragorn whispered huskily, his voice still glutteral with sleep. His confusion was evident as he wandered what on earth Legolas was smiling about. The elf opened his eyes, still sparkling with tears, yet a wide smile traversed his features.

" The land is alive still my friend. It grieves much like you or I, and the loss of the Wood Elves has pained it greatly, but it has now found a reason to regenerate. A Wood Elf lives, and wishes to once again make his home amongst them."

Aragorn simply nodded, accepting the reason although not understanding it. 'How could the presence of a single elf turn the tide against an evil inflicted on this land over a year ago?' He mused to himself as Legolas stepped away from the tree, the smile still evident on his face. The first touches of sunlight graced the landscape, and Aragorn swore he no longer heard the deathly silence that had permeated these parts recently. There was a subtle throb beneath the earth, in the trees and within the air itself. It was alive.

Feeling invigorated the companions once again set out, mindful of the heavy rain clouds building in the east. The rains would come and cleanse the land, ridding it finally of the evil of Saruman and allowing for the restoration to occur. But from within the tower in the south, they were being watched.

There's still time

All that has been devastated

Can be recreated

Realise

We pick up the broken pieces

Of our lives.

To be continued

All feedback greatly appreciated at yunadax@bigpond.com





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List