Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Cling and Clatter  by Yuna_Dax

Title- Cling and Clatter – Chapter 13 – Tunnels of Darkness

Author – Jules

Rating – PG13 for angst and violence

Disclaimer – They do.. I don't. BUGGER! The lyrics contained within are 'Don't Stop Dancing' from Creed's 'Weathered' album.

Summery – Having passed finally through Mirkwood's borders, Legolas and Aragorn begin to make their way back to Rivendell.

Authors Notes – This is but chapter 13 of a rather longish story, it would make sense to read the other12 before going any further if you wish to make any sense out of this what-so-ever. This fic also has very strong links with my other LOTR story – Faded Ashes, one would also be advised to read that one as well.

Some reviewers have critiqued my use of song lyrics and poetry that are littered throughout my work. Quite simply, if it were not for that music or poetry, this story would not exist. Music is my inspiration and it seems only fitting to include to pieces that inspire me to write within the works themselves.

 

Tunnels of Darkness

At times life is wicked and I just can't see the light

A silver lining sometimes isn't enough

To make some wrongs seem alright.

Whatever life brings,

I've been through everything

And now I'm on my knees again.

 

It seemed as though the minute the close friends emerged from the blackened remains that marked the once glorious kingdom of Thranduil and the Mirkwood elves the heavens opened up and released a heavy cleansing rain. The temperature plummeted as Legolas let loose a low whistle, calling to him the faithful workhorse that had bore them over the mountain range. A shrill neigh and the soft vibration of galloping hooves greeted the elf as the animal sped towards them, showing very few of his many years. Stopping within inches of the elf then snuffling gently towards the Prince's face the animal seemed to understand what had transpired, and seemed grateful to be amongst their company again.

Aragorn smiled at the scene before him, his life with the Rivendell elves showing him that the firstborns had a way with animals, yet it never ceased to amaze the ranger the way all animals seemed to bond with the Legolas. Not wanting to ruin the moment, but unwilling to freeze to death in the sudden downpour, Aragorn reached over and spoke quietly to his companion, indicating that he thought they should south once again and attempt to reach Rivendell before the heavy snows of winter closed the secluded paradise completely off to all outsiders. The cold weather affected them both, making their abused and weary bodies sore with the ache of not properly treated injuries. Both were quickly reminded of how they barely made it over the mountains on their way here, the injuries from the past experiences were still yet to heal fully, having been pushed far beyond their limits just to survive.

Legolas carefully vaulted onto the horses bare back, settling and balancing himself before offering a hand to Aragorn, who pulled himself stiffly behind the elf and indicated he was ready to move off. With a simple Elvish word the horse collected itself into a steady canter, its mane plastered against its neck in the driving rain. Teeth now chattering uncontrollably in the frigid conditions Aragorn slid his arms around the figure in front of him, leaning as close as he could to let the elf provide natural warmth and a barrier against the driving rain.

Several hours later Legolas called for his equine companion to halt near the mouth of a small cave he had found despite the misty and miserable conditions. A heavy snow had begun to fall even at the lower altitudes, making the clouds seem lower and the two companions colder still. Legolas pointed into the near distance, seeking the Rangers' approval before they decided to make camp. Aragorn nodded at the Prince's choice, eager to be out of the driving wind and snow and dismounted first. He grunted softly as his frozen joints bent to accommodate his weight, he noticed that Legolas fared no better when he slipped of with the elf hissing as his still sore leg bent with the landing. Without words the friends leaned on each other for support in the growing snow until they reached the low mouth of the cave.

Aragorn's teeth continued the chatter even after they reached the relative comfort of the cave, having to duck to clear the lower entrance before being able to stand fully upright once inside. The rocks near the entrance of the cave blocked out the wind and snow, just leaving the frigid cold air within its solid walls. Legolas let his friend recuperate for a moment while he stepped back into the near blizzard to check for firewood. He searched beneath all of the surrounding trees, hoping that some kindling would have made it through the rain and snow dry. His hopes were dashed as he found nil but sodden timber. Thinking they may be trapped by the snow for a while he gathered an armful of the soaking wood and made his way back to the cave.

Aragorn meanwhile had taken the opportunity to somewhat explore what might turn into their new home for the next few days. He picked his way down the dark tunnel, leaning on the wall for support and guidance and the light started to dim with early evening. Something was odd about this cave, he could feel but not name the strange feeling that pervaded his senses. Something about it just didn't seem right. Finding nothing but more dark tunnels branching of the main cave, the ranger made his way back to his Elven companion who was laying wood out to dry.

To preoccupied with his task the elf didn't notice the eeriness that his companion had, separating the timber and breaking open their pack for their meal. Legolas passed Aragorn a small selection of fruits and berries by way of silent apology for the lack of fire and the two companions shared a cold lonely dinner before bedding down for the night.

Legolas volunteered for first watch, insisting he needed less sleep than humans. Too cold to argue Aragorn curled up next to the alert Prince, drawing what little comfort he could from the elf's warmth. He hadn't been asleep that long when a hand shook his shoulder, startling him out of his frozen dreams. A finger was pressed to his lips, telling him to be silent as the elf's keen ears picked up sounds he really didn't wish to hear.

" Orcs... they are coming towards us from further inside the cave" Legolas whispered, motioning Aragorn to quickly and quietly collect their things. They were in no condition to fight, yet the thought of going back into the now raging blizzard outside didn't thrill them overly either. The ranger slid his dagger out of the pack and kept it close at hand while he collected their few things. Legolas also quietly made his way around their small campsite, quickly searching out strategic position if they were forced to fight. It was either face a most probably small group of rouge orcs or face the freezing winter outside, and with snow already deep on the ground, fleeing would be difficult at best with a human by his side. His keen hearing had only heard a small number of orcs within the depths of the caves, and he prayed to the Valar there were no more hiding in the bowels of the cavern, as fighting even a few orcs with naught weapons but a stout dagger would be difficult. He turned towards the mouth of the cave, his intention to check their escape route if needed and in the dim lighting he did not like what he saw. The snow had built to a considerable level in the few hours the two had been inside the cave, leaving only small space between the top of the low cave entrance and the drifts of snow beyond. Even against the overwhelming odds, fighting suddenly seemed like a much better option.

Confident that the orcs did not know of their presence Legolas backed into a darkened nook of the cave, pulling a soggy but sturdy lump of firewood with him to use as a weapon. Aragorn followed suit, blending in with the natural contours of the cave and drawing his stout dagger, silently awaiting the evil creatures.

The dark beasts made their way noisily towards the entrance of the cave, completely oblivious to the two whom made themselves one with the walls around them. Stealth and surprise worked to the travelers' favour as they waited until the last of the orcs had passed them by and had begun to dig their way out into the snow that nearly blocked the low entrance. With a battle cry of old the pair pushed from their hidden locations, brandishing their weapons at the small band before them. Startled and taken completely by surprise the orcs had little chance to grab their weapons before the two warriors were upon them. Aragorn wielded the dagger with the grace of one who had been instructed in the martial arts by elves, slashing with deadly accuracy at the hideous faces before him. Legolas however had slightly more difficulty with his choice of weapon; all the sturdy piece of timber was really good for was clubbing orcs on the back of the head and blocking the now incoming orc blades. With little of his usual Elven grace the Prince dodged and parried the blows, striking and clubbing where he could to gain the offensive.

Aragorn was having an easier time, slicing and blocking with his stout blade, always on the offensive and pushing the orcs further towards the now blocked entrance. Things were going well for the ranger, the orcs fell swiftly beneath his blade until a heavy blow slammed into his shoulder, causing the human to stumble and stagger off balance. He whirled to face this new threat, biting back the pain that lanced down his entire left side and the orc raised its evil blade in response to his silent challenge. The duel was fierce but short-lived as Aragorn, though still reeling from the previous blow and having lost the use of his left arm, landed several vicious blows upon his enemy.

Slowly and painstakingly the two warriors wore down the group of orcs till no more than two remained standing. Aragorn struck the deathblow first, managing to put the creature off balance long enough to deliver a fatal blow to its midsection before turning to assist his companion. It was then he saw the lone orc archer in the dimness of the tunnel, nocking its arrow and sighting the fair elf as its target. Before the ranger could even sound a cry of warning the arrow streaked towards his companion, who was completely oblivious to its presence as he finally clubbed his orc on the side of the head, neatly incapacitating it. Time seemed to stand still for Aragorn as the watched the arrow seem to home in on its target, he saw Legolas' grim smile of victory directed towards him, the relief that the battle was over etched across the elf's features. Relief turned to question as the Prince saw Aragorn dive towards him, and then to shock as the ranger collided with his midsection, dragging the elf to the ground. The arrow whizzed beside Aragorn's head and he quickly turned his head to gaze towards the archer. He sized up the distance and angle in an instant and let fly with his dagger, supremely hoping that the archer was indeed the last straggler of the orc band. The creature fell with a shrill cry, the knife imbedding itself further into the fell creatures' chest as it fell forward onto the blade, ending its miserable life. He listened for a moment more, straining his ears to hear if any more of the band still lurked in the cave.

Hearing nothing and overjoyed that there were no more orcs to greet them, he turned his attention once more to his companion. Closed eyes and ragged breathing greeted him as the ranger slowly rose from his protective position. He almost wondered if he had winded the elf with his tackle, for surely the arrow had missed, he had even felt it ruffle his hair as it passed close. Unless it was too close. Glancing quickly down the elf's body to his horror he found he arrow deeply imbedded within his friends' right shoulder, a growing crimson stain darkly colouring the tatters of the shirt that covered the elf's chest. Cursing softly to himself Aragorn carefully turned his companion over, and despite the searing pain his own injury was causing him, set about tending to his friend.

Whatever life brings

I've been through everything

And I'm on my knees again.

But I know I must go on,

Although I hurt I must be strong.

To Be Continued

PS... I suck at fight sequences!!

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List