Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Sound of Silence  by Deana

The next time that Legolas awoke, they managed to feed him more of the Lembas soup. He was very quiet, speaking only when he had to, obviously exhausted.

As Aragorn fed him, he watched as his friend's eyes kept drifting shut and reopening again, as Legolas valiantly tried to remain awake so that his body could get the nourishment that it so desperately needed.

Aragorn held the spoon in front of his face, waiting for the Elf's eyes to reopen. They stayed closed this time, and the human placed the spoon back into the bowl. Watching his friend, it bothered him to see Legolas' eyes closed in sleep, as Elves only slept with their eyes open—except when badly injured or utterly exhausted.

A minute later, Legolas reopened his eyes, giving him a slight smile. "Sorry," he said.

Aragorn smiled at him. "How is the pain?"

Legolas sighed. "Troublesome…but no longer agonizing."

Aragorn smiled, immensely relieved. Lifting the spoon again, he brought it to the Elf's lips.

Legolas obediently ate, even though he wasn't hungry. Suddenly, he noticed something, and his eyes widened.

Aragorn brought the spoon to his friend's mouth again, but stopped it in mid-air. "What is it?" he asked, seeing the surprised look on the Elf's face.

"My arm," Legolas whispered.

Aragorn realized that the his friend apparently had regained sensation, and he quickly touched it. "Do you feel my hand?"

Legolas said nothing, his expression suddenly changing, and he closed his eyes.

Aragorn let go, seeing that the feeling in his arm hadn't lasted. "Don't despair, Legolas, this was a very good sign. It is proof that you will recover."

Legolas opened his eyes and smiled tiredly. "You are right, Estel…hannon le."

Aragorn smiled back as Legolas once more fell asleep.

Elrond walked into the room then, and stopped, sensing a change in the atmosphere. "What has happened?"

"He had feeling in his arm, for a minute," Aragorn told him, happily.

Elrond smiled. "That is indeed good news! Mayhap his recovery will come faster than I anticipated."

Aragorn nodded, wanting to believe it, but afraid to expect too much too soon.

He would soon come to find out the wisdom in his reasoning.

 

********************

Legolas awoke the next morning to find Aragorn asleep in the chair beside the bed. He chuckled inwardly when the human gave a snore loud enough to wake the dead.

Aragorn's body suddenly jerked, and he opened his eyes. Seeing Legolas looking at him, he gave an embarrassed smile.

"Wake yourself?" Legolas asked.

Aragorn chuckled. "Yes. I hope I did not wake you."

"No," Legolas said. He looked better today, not as groggy and muddled.

"How do you feel?" Aragorn asked. "Is the pain any better?"

"A little," said Legolas, sighing in relief.

Aragorn studied him, trying to see if he seemed any stronger.

Legolas closed his eyes, but reopened them when he sensed the scrutinizing look. "Estel?"

"I do not wish to rush things," said Aragorn, shifting his position in the chair. "But Father and I discussed it. Since you've suffered damage regarding movement, it is imperative for us to find out the extent of it." He sighed. "You have been off your feet for nearly two weeks, and we do not wish your condition to be complicated by further weakening of your muscles."

Legolas literally felt too weak to sit up, nevermind stand, but he saw the truth in his friend's statement. Taking a deep breath, he tried to push himself up.

Aragorn quickly left his chair. "Wait, Legolas!" he said, grabbing him. "Ada!" he yelled.

 

********************

Elrond had just sent a message to Thranduil, letting him know that Legolas was 'visiting' his home. He'd left out mention of the dangerous toxin—knowing full well the panic that reading such a message would cause. Legolas' life was no longer in danger, so there was no reason to scare the wits out of the Mirkwood King.

Heading down a corridor, Elrond was startled by Aragorn's sudden voice. Quickly running to the room, he tried to calm the panic induced by the implications of his son's yell. He saw Legolas half-sitting up with Aragorn's help, and approached the bed, inwardly sighing with relief.

Aragorn saw the look on Elrond's face, and realized what he'd accidentally done. "Father…"

Elrond waved away his apology, reaching out a hand to touch Legolas' shoulder. "I see that Estel has told you of our concern."

Legolas nodded slightly, breathing deeply in an attempt to ward off the dizziness that he knew was coming.

"I want you to take this very slowly," Elrond said, pulling the covers off the younger Elf and helping him scoot to the side of the bed.

Legolas was glad for Aragorn's steadying arm around his back as he sat there for a minute, trying to gather whatever strength he had. He closed his eyes tightly against the expected dizziness, and tried to suppress a shiver. Despite his warm clothes, he felt strangely cold without the blankets covering him. The unexpected sensation showed him just how bad his condition was; Elves shouldn't feel cold.

"Legolas?" he heard.

Opening his eyes, he saw Aragorn giving him a worried look. "Ready?" he asked.

Legolas gave another slight nod, and Elrond and Aragorn carefully lifted him to his feet.

The room immediately tilted, and Legolas gave a sound of distress, closing his eyes as his legs gave way.

Elrond and Aragorn had expected that, and they held onto him tightly, not letting him fall.

The weak Elf tilted to the right and Elrond let him lean against him, easily supporting his weight as Legolas tried to catch his breath. After a minute, Elrond felt the other Elf try to take some weight off him but he didn't allow it, holding him tighter. "Do not, Legolas," he said, gently. "You need all your strength. Do not move until you are ready."

The only thing Legolas felt ready for was a week-long nap, but he obeyed, never doubting Elrond's wisdom.

Elrond could see the impatience in Aragorn's face. He knew that the human had been worrying over the extent of Legolas' disability, but the impatient look was mixed with concern.

Elrond felt Legolas attempt to straighten up, and helped him right himself.

Legolas couldn't prevent the expression he knew was on his face; one of pain and near-despair. He had never felt so weak in his life, and nearly gave up on walking before even trying. He knew it wasn't like himself to give up, but he had no balance whatsoever, and the room refused to stay still.

Aragorn and Elrond were quickly alerted to their friend's balance problem and held onto him tightly, helping him take a few shaky steps, catching him when he could walk no further.

Elrond nodded his head to Aragorn in the direction of the bed, and they carefully got the breathless Elf back where he belonged. They were both upset to see the state that Legolas was now in; eyes shut tight with pain, breathing as if he'd just done battle.

"Dihennin, Legolas," Aragorn whispered, sorrowfully asking forgiveness for what they'd just put him through. Squeezing his friend's good arm, he looked towards his father with a sigh.

Elrond likewise was surprised by Legolas' new problem; his lack of balance was from more than just weakness. Before he had the chance to say anything, Legolas suddenly groaned, pulling his good arm up to rest a hand on his head.

Frowning, Aragorn looked to his father, relieved to see him preparing something for Legolas to drink.

Quickly going back to the bed, Elrond placed a hand on the side of the Elf's face. "Legolas?"

Legolas opened his eyes halfway, tiredly looking up at him.

"When you walked," Elrond said. "Did you feel numbness elsewhere in your body, besides your arm?"

Legolas wasn't sure if he could answer that; he'd been too preoccupied with forcing himself not to pass out at the time and hadn't really noticed. He figured that he wouldn't've been able to take those few steps if he had no feeling in his legs, so he whispered, "No."

Elrond smiled with relief, gently lifting him up so he could drink. "That is all that we needed to know for now, penneth. Rest."

Legolas drank the medicine quickly, hoping that it would ease the increased pain in his head. He never knew how long it took, for he was asleep before Elrond even lowered him down again.

"Ada," Aragorn whispered, sounding worried. "He had no balance…"

"I know," Elrond replied, with a sigh. "His body was not ready for such exercise."

Aragorn knew that to be true. Legolas was in no way fit to be out of bed, but they'd needed to know the extent of the damage to his brain. "So you think he'll regain his balance without difficulty? It is not an indication of further damage?"

"I will not know for sure," Elrond answered. "Until he is able walk on his own."

 *****

'penneth' : 'young one'





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List