Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Sound of Silence  by Deana

Legolas didn’t wake again until late that night. Awareness came just as slowly as it had that morning, and he felt utterly miserable.

Elrond saw his eyes open and he sat up straighter in the chair, smiling at the younger Elf. "How do you feel, Legolas?"

Legolas slowly blinked his eyes, feeling too weak to answer.

Elrond saw this, and didn’t repeat the question. Leaning forward, he took Legolas’ right hand. "Can you feel this?"

Legolas almost didn’t hear the question, as his eyes scanned the room for Aragorn. "What?"

"Do you feel this," Elrond repeated, squeezing his hand.

Legolas did, slightly, and relief lent him enough strength to tell the other Elf.

Elrond gently poked his finger up and down his forearm. "Can you feel that?"

Legolas blinked, feeling sleep coming to claim him. "Yes…no…"

Elrond frowned, halting his movement. "You feel nothing here?"

"The feeling…left," he replied, nervously. "I feel nothing…anywhere…"

Elrond hoped that he meant only in his arm, and not his entire body. "Do you have numbness anywhere else?"

"No," Legolas whispered. "Where…is…Estel?"

Elrond noticed his words growing weaker and softer, and hoped that Aragorn came back from the kitchen soon. "He is bringing back some food. Can you eat, Legolas?"

Legolas said nothing, his eyes now closed.

Elrond sighed. They hadn't been able to get any food into Legolas while he'd been unconscious, naturally, besides broth and water that they'd managed to get him to swallow. He looked thinner, as if he wasn't already thin enough.

The sound of footsteps alerted Elrond that Aragorn was coming back, and he turned to the human as he approached the bed.

Aragorn placed a tray on the nightstand. "I brought Legolas some Lembas bread."

Elrond sighed. "That would be beneficial to his health, but it is too heavy. Since Legolas hasn't eaten in so long, he will need to eat lightly at first."

Aragorn nodded. "I know, and have an idea." He pointed to a bowl. "We can crush small pieces of the Lembas into the broth. That way it will not be so heavy."

Elrond nodded. "Very good idea, Estel."

"I agree," they suddenly heard.

Looking to the bed, Aragorn saw his friend's eyes slightly open. "Legolas! How do you feel?"

"All right," the Elf lied.

It was such a ridiculous answer, that Aragorn wasn't sure how to react. Instead, he took the dish containing the Lembas, and broke off some small pieces.

"How long?" Legolas suddenly whispered.

"How long has it been since we arrived here?" Aragorn asked. "Nine days."

At that statement, Legolas' skin turned paler than it already was. Saying nothing, he closed his eyes, trying to remain awake long enough to eat. He couldn't remember ever being so weak, and knew that food would help him to regain his strength.

Suddenly he felt a hand slide under the pillow he rested on, and another grip his arm. He quickly found himself in a half-sitting position, and was grateful for the mountain of pillows cushioning his aching head.

"Here, Legolas."

Opening his eyes, he saw Aragorn holding a spoon, but before the human could feed it to him, Elrond stopped him.

"The medicine first," said the Healer, handing him a cup.

Taking it, Aragorn held it to Legolas' lips as he drank, before feeding him the soggy Lembas.

"Lembas soup," Legolas whispered, after two bites.

Aragorn and Elrond both smiled. "If you enjoy it that much, I can be sure to keep a supply on hand," Elrond said.

Legolas smiled, his eyes drifting closed.

Aragorn placed a hand on his arm, gently squeezing it. "Do not sleep yet, mellon nin, you need to eat more."

Legolas made a protesting sound, seeming only half-awake.

Elrond shook his head at Aragorn. "He needs sleep, to aid his body in healing," he whispered. "We can give him more the next time he awakes."

Suddenly, Legolas' eyes reopened, and he shot an almost panicked look at them. "My arm…" he whispered. "Why…?"

Elrond sighed inwardly. "The toxin weakened blood vessels within your head," he explained. "They bled, creating pressure on your brain..."

Legolas was stunned; the expression on his face was one of shock and horror.

Aragorn put a hand on his arm, in comfort.

"Do not fear," said Elrond. "The damage may heal quickly and you will again have use of your arm."

And if not, then I will never again be able to use my bow, Legolas thought. I would no longer be a warrior, but rendered useless…

Aragorn realized the situation abruptly…he'd been so worried over whether or not Legolas would live, that he hadn't yet grasped the fact that the numb limb was Legolas' arrow arm…

Legolas said no more, sighing as his eyes grew too heavy to keep open despite his anxiety.

After being sure that the Elf was asleep, Aragorn turned to Elrond. "Father?"

Elrond knew what he was asking. "I have seen this before, Estel. The pressure caused by the bleeding affected a part of his brain, the part that controls movement. I do not know why it is only his one arm, but I do know that this kind of damage usually heals."

"We can't be sure that it is only his arm," said Aragorn. "He has hardly attempted to move, nevermind walk!"

Elrond knew that he was right. "It will likely be a while before he is out of bed. This recovery will not be as fast as usual. His strength is completely depleted."

Aragorn nodded with a sigh, though he was relieved to know that his friend's arm would eventually regain its proper sensation.

"The only thing that we can do," said Elrond, placing a hand on the human's shoulder. "Is be here for him, and try to lift his spirits. The sooner he regains his strength, the faster he is out of bed, and the quicker that we can work with his arm."

That made sense to Aragorn. He knew that they couldn't allow Legolas' arm to weaken further, which is what would happen if its movement were restricted for too long.

Suddenly Legolas made a noise; a sound of distress.

Aragorn reached forward and put a hand on his friend's shoulder, whispering softly to him in Elvish.

Legolas heard him, but he was too focused on what he was seeing in his mind…

"Estel!" Legolas yelled. "Behind you!"

The Elf watched as an orc came out of the woods, heading towards his friend. He reached to pull an arrow from his quiver, but his arm wouldn't cooperate.

"Aragorn!" he exclaimed.

The human had turned to face the orc, but the monster attacked before he had a chance to draw his sword.

Legolas started running towards them, but he was too late, as the human was brutally cut down before his eyes…

Aragorn and Elrond carefully held Legolas down, watching as he mentally fought some foe. It took a few minutes for Aragorn's words to soothe Legolas, but he eventually calmed, his nightmare fading away.

Sighing, Aragorn sat back, looking at his father.

Elrond said nothing, reaching forward to brush hair from Legolas' face. He looked at his son in time to see him sigh. "Take heart, Estel," he said. "Legolas has awoken and the bleeding did not affect his mental capacity. His physical weakness will heal. You will have your friend back."

Aragorn gave no answer, but he gave his father a smile, appreciating the comfort.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List