Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Sound of Silence  by Deana

The next few days were difficult for Legolas, who was recovering very slowly. His Elven healing ability had been suppressed by what he had suffered, his body having completely depleted itself in its fight against the deadly toxin.

Aragorn hardly left his side, essentially making himself the Elf's slave, wanting to be there when and if Legolas needed anything. He was glad to see that his friend was regaining some strength; he could now speak in longer sentences.

"I would like to go outside," Legolas suddenly announced.

"Outside?" Aragorn echoed, not expecting the request, though he shouldn't've been surprised.

Legolas sighed. "I have been in bed for too long."

Aragorn nodded, understanding every Elf's need to feel the sunlight on their skin. Standing, he approached the bed, helping his friend sit up. Suddenly smiling, he said, "I wonder what my father's reaction will be when he comes in here to find us gone."

"He'll know where we are," Legolas told him as he stood, with Aragorn's help.

Holding onto his friend tightly, Aragorn waited for Legolas to gain some balance…hoping that he had some to gain. He didn't mind carrying his friend, but he didn't want to damage Legolas' pride by insisting.

Legolas sighed in frustration when dizziness assaulted his senses. He automatically gripped Aragorn's arm to keep himself upright, even though he knew that his friend would never let him fall.

Aragorn patiently waited for the Elf to compose himself, smiling gently when Legolas opened his eyes. "Ready?"

Legolas nodded slightly, and they slowly left the room, heading for the nearest door.

The Elf was shocked at the extent of his weakness; he quickly became breathless and his legs began to shake as he tried to keep his balance. He desperately hoped that Aragorn wouldn't end up carrying him.

Aragorn saw his friend's struggle, and grew concerned. What little strength he's regained, I'm letting him lose! He was immensely relived however, that Legolas' balance problem wasn't as serious as they had originally thought.

The door finally appeared in Legolas' sight, and he tried to draw on more strength as they approached it.

Suddenly they heard footsteps echoing down the corridor, and Aragorn shot Legolas a humored look, knowing that Elrond was approaching Legolas' room from the other direction.

A mischievous expression graced Legolas' face, and the thought of surprising the other Elf supplied him with a burst of adrenaline, providing him with the strength to continue.

They finally made it out the door and approached a bench. Legolas sighed in relief as Aragorn carefully sat him on it. The Elf couldn't believe that a walk that normally only took seconds seemed to take an hour.

Aragorn put a hand on Legolas' shoulder, keeping him steady when the Elf closed his eyes, breathing heavily. He was slightly surprised to see the sudden smile that graced his friend's face. "Legolas?"

Legolas reopened his eyes, his smile widening. "They are happy to see me."

Aragorn frowned in confusion, before feeling a light breeze blow gently by. "The trees."

Legolas nodded, closing his eyes again.

"Estel!"

Turning, Aragorn saw Elrond hurrying towards them.

"What in Middle Earth have you done?" the shocked Elf exclaimed. "Legolas should not be out of bed!"

"Forgive me, Father," said Aragorn. "He needed to come outside."

Elrond stopped beside them, searching the younger Elf's face. He frowned to see that Legolas' eyes were closed, but then he saw the smile. Redirecting his attention, Elrond sensed what so captured the Elf, and smiled himself.

"What are they saying?" Aragorn asked, wishing that he could hear.

"They are rejoicing in his recovery," Elrond told him.

Legolas reopened his eyes, and Aragorn was surprised to see that he seemed on the verge of tears. Happy tears.

Legolas saw Aragorn's look, and gave a short laugh. "Mayhap 'rejoicing' is not an adequate word. They overwhelm me with their joy."

Aragorn smiled. "We feel the same, mellon nin."

The Elf smiled back, and they were silent for a few minutes, allowing the recovering Elf to bask in the warm sunlight.

Elrond sat on a rock wall next to the bench, studying his patient. "Legolas? These silent trees…I would like to know about them, if I could."

Legolas knew that the other Elf was extremely curious, and was surprised that he'd been so patient, waiting so long to ask. "It was very…disconcerting," he said. "To listen and yet hear nothing. No sound came from them."

Elrond looked amazed. "Did they give off anything that you could sense?"

Legolas sighed. "I could sense something odd, but I was unable to correctly identify what it was."

The older Elf pondered this, saying nothing.

Legolas suddenly started to stand and Aragorn leaped up, quickly grabbing onto him.

The Elf reached out his left hand towards the nearest tree, and Aragorn helped him over to it, where the Elf leaned on it heavily.

Aragorn noticed that it was the same tree that Elrond had conversed with that day.

Legolas smiled when the tree flooded him with its happiness and relief. To find trees that don't speak…He sighed, looking towards Elrond.

"The sound of silence," he said. "It was very disturbing…I hope to never encounter it again."

Elrond nodded, not able to imagine silent trees, himself.

Suddenly a gentle breeze blew, and Legolas lifted a hand to brush hair out of his face. He heard a gasp, and looked to see that both Aragorn and Elrond had expressions of shock on their faces.

Legolas realized what he'd done, and stared at his right hand…the hand he'd lifted.

He could feel it.

Wiggling his fingers for the first time in more than two weeks, Legolas looked at them, smiling from ear-to-ear.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List