Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Sound of Silence  by Deana

The night came quickly, and Legolas was still unconscious, as they expected. Elrond had noticed that during the afternoon, the trees' depression over Legolas' state changed into relief; meaning that they had finally sensed an improvement in the Elf's condition.

Both father and son were completely exhausted this night, and decided to take turns keeping watch over Legolas while the other slept. Elrond forced Aragorn to sleep first, as humans didn't have the endurance that Elves had.

When morning came, the sun shone brightly in the room and the birds were singing loudly. A gentle breeze wafted through the trees—who were no longer mourning—and the tension in the air had lessened.

"Please wake, Legolas," Aragorn whispered. "It is your favorite type of day outside, it would be a shame for you to miss it."

Legolas didn't react to his voice, remaining comatose.

Aragorn sighed and looked at his father.

"He will wake," Elrond said, smiling encouragingly. "It is just a matter of time."

Elrond was correct. Legolas did wake, but not until a great deal of time had passed…

Legolas wasn't even aware that he was awake until he felt movement around him. It took him a while to realize that he was lying in a bed, and that someone had gently lifted him up to drink something. He swallowed without thinking, and felt himself being carefully lowered back down again. He tried to open his eyes, but couldn't; they felt glued shut, and his head was throbbing.

What happened to me? he wondered. Where am I?

"Patience, Aragorn," he suddenly heard.

"Patience?" Aragorn exclaimed. "It's been a week since you gave him the antidote! I can't bear this any longer!"

Those voices sound familiar…Legolas thought.

Elrond sighed, placing a hand on his son's arm. The trees had assured Elrond that the antidote had worked and Legolas would live, but it was growing too difficult to continue waiting for a sign of life.

They were both afraid that his prolonged unconscious meant that there was serious brain damage.

Legolas drifted in a half-asleep mode, but suddenly heard Aragorn sigh. It suddenly came to him, who the voice belonged to, and he struggled to open his eyes. It proved shockingly harder than he thought, and he groaned in frustration.

Aragorn nearly fell out of his chair at the sudden sound. "Legolas?!" he exclaimed. Reaching forward, he took his friend's hand. "Mellon nin? We are here, please wake!"

Elrond smiled gently when his patient's eyes opened halfway, and he placed a comforting hand on the younger Elf's head. "Legolas?" he whispered. "Do you know who we are?"

Aragorn watched, wanting to cry with joy at his friend's awakening, but staying quiet while his father checked Legolas for brain damage.

"Legolas?" Elrond said, when the younger Elf didn't answer.

I know their names, Legolas thought. Shifting his gaze to Aragorn, he tried to think, but the action hurt. "Estel?" he whispered.

Aragorn smiled ear-to-ear, unable to stop tears from forming. "Yes, Legolas! You are in Rivendell, father found an antidote to the toxic sap—" He stopped when Elrond placed a hand on his arm.

Elrond could see that Legolas was too groggy and disoriented to understand what was said to him, so he gently whispered, "How do you feel?"

Legolas closed his eyes again, reopening them slowly. "Worse…than I…can ever recall…"

His voice was a mere whisper, his words pain-filled and feeble. Aragorn frowned at how utterly weak Legolas obviously was; it scared him to see the Elf so incapacitated.

Elrond patted Legolas' shoulder comfortingly. "Fear not, you shall be fine. Is your head all that pains you?"

Legolas assessed himself. It took longer than it should've. "No."

"What else?" Elrond asked, keeping his voice calm for Legolas' sake.

"Everything…" Legolas whispered, trying to use as few words as possible.

Elrond gave the nervous Aragorn a look that said 'don't worry'. "You have been unconscious for over a week, Legolas," he said. "Your body has been through a great deal, and your muscles are weak."

Legolas said nothing, closing his eyes again.

"Legolas?" said Elrond. "Can you move your arms and legs for me?" he asked, wanting to make sure that his brain wasn't damaged in the area that controlled movement.

It took a minute, but Legolas was able to move his legs slightly, and his left arm.

Aragorn realized that he had a hand on Legolas' right arm and he let go, thinking that maybe the Elf was too weak to move it with his weight on it.

When it still didn't move, Elrond grew concerned. "Legolas, can you move your right arm?"

Legolas started breathing heavier. "I…cannot…feel it…"

Elrond crossed to the other side of the bed and gripped his hand, trying not to show his inward alarm. "Can you feel this?" he asked, gently squeezing it.

Legolas was silent for a few seconds, before saying, "It feels…numb."

Aragorn turned stricken eyes to his father, knowing what it meant; the bleeding had caused damage.

"Do not panic," Elrond said, seeing the younger Elf's increased breathing rate. "It is likely temporary. You were bleeding internally and it put pressure on your brain."

Legolas said nothing, closing his eyes again. He felt too overwhelmed to comprehend it.

When he didn't open his eyes a minute later, Aragorn said, "Legolas?"

The Elf didn't answer, having fallen asleep.

"What can we do, Ada?" Aragorn nervously asked.

"The same thing that we have been doing all week," Elrond sighed, gently laying the Elf's hand back down again. "Wait."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List