Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea

Chapter 35. Seeing the Old Year Out

The rest of the year slipped by quickly and quietly. Several more of the ruffians’ stores were discovered in the neighbourhood of Bywater, so that the hobbits of that locality had a much merrier Yule than they’d anticipated. Word came from Budge Hall that there had been a fire in the kitchens, spreading smoke throughout the entire grand dwelling, though only the kitchens had sustained serious damage due to quick action on the part of the workers who were restoring Budge Hall to its former splendour. In any event, the Hall would not be fit for occupation until some time in the New Year.

’What a pity,’ Freddy said, passing the letter to Frodo, even as he suppressed a sigh of relief.

’Yes,’ Frodo said with a thoughtful look.

’Why don’t you write your mum and dad and invite them to the farm for Yule?’ Mrs Cotton said, plumping Freddy’s pillows and settling him for a nice nap after his noontide meal. ‘It would hardly be a celebration with them there in the gardener’s home and you and your sister here. Families belong together.’

’Why thank you, Mrs Cotton,’ Freddy said sleepily.

’I shall write them for you, cousin, and send the letter off post haste,’ Frodo said with a pat for his shoulder.

Freddy opened one eye. ‘You’re supposed to be writing something else, as I recall,’ he muttered.

Frodo laughed. ‘Don’t you worry about me!’ he said. ‘Just as soon as you drop off, my work begins.’

’I’ll take a nice long rest then, cousin,’ Freddy murmured, closing the eye once more and adding, ‘Get lots done; I expect to see results by teatime.’ Within a few breaths he was asleep.

By teatime, Frodo had a nicely-written letter and several pages of manuscript to show for his afternoon. Freddy held out a demanding hand.

’What, you want to read it?’ Frodo said in astonishment.

’Isn’t that why you’re writing it?’ Freddy responded. ‘I can tell you whether it’s destined for a dusty shelf, or if it’ll be a favourite read.’

’You?’ Frodo laughed. ‘I’d have pegged Merry for the part.’

’We have a fine library at Budge Hall,’ Freddy said. ‘At least, I hope we do. I don’t know how much might have been damaged by smoke.’

’A fine library, indeed,’ Frodo said. He’d curled up in an oversized leather chair with a good book on more than one visit. ‘I didn’t think you even knew it existed.’

’It’s his deep, dark secret,’ Estella whispered behind her hand. ‘He doesn’t want folk to take him too seriously, you know. ‘Twould spoil his reputation as a rake and an idler.’

’Most folk think I don’t have a brain in my head,’ Freddy said with satisfaction. ‘Gives me quite the advantage, y’know.’

’I’m afraid your reputation is ruined,’ Frodo said. ‘Your band have been talking about you back in Bridgefields, and you’re quite respected now.’

’What a shame,’ Freddy said. ‘I might have to turn my hand to honest labour of some sort or other. Now cousin, you have not succeeded in distracting me from my end. Give it over.’

With a sigh, Frodo handed him the pages. Freddy began to read, pursing his lips.

’It starts out a bit slowly, cousin; do you aim to send your reader off to sleep first thing?’ he said.

’Exactly my plan,’ Frodo answered.

’Ah. It succeeds marvellously well.’ Freddy read on. Estella perched on the bed beside him and began to read over his shoulder. When he reached the end of the page, Freddy looked over at her. ‘Ready?’ he said.

’Quite,’ Estella answered, and he turned to the next page. Several pages along, he began to chuckle. ‘ “gave away presents to all and sundry”,’ he quoted. ‘How did you know young Pip went out the back way and came through the gate again?’

‘He told me how his first present “broke”—actually, he took it apart and couldn’t get it back together again—and very proudly showed me his second present,’ Frodo said. ‘Cost me a copper to see how it worked.’ Freddy threw back his head and laughed loud and long.

’Went out the back way and came in again!’ Estella said indignantly. ‘Why, I only got one present!’ Secretly she was delighted to hear her brother laugh again as he had in the old days.

’Ah yes, I remember the fireworks,’ Freddy said a little later.

’I would have thought it was the food you remembered,’ Estella said acidly.

’That, too,’ Freddy said. ‘I don’t think I ate anything for days after Bilbo’s party, did you?’

’Not a lot of folk did,’ Frodo said.

’You left off the trees, don’t you remember them?’ Estella said.

’Trees?’ Frodo asked, puzzled.

’You know, with trunks of dark smoke, and all their leaves unfolded as if spring came in a breath of time, and they dropped the most beautifully shining flowers but when you reached to catch them, they disappeared with a sweet scent as if they were real flowers.’

’Real flowers don’t disappear,’ Freddy said.

’They smelt like real flowers,’ Estella said stubbornly.

Freddy laughed. ‘What I remember was Pip’s nearly setting fire to old Odo Proudfoot’s big toe when he lit that string of crackers!’

’Ah yes,’ Frodo said, leaning back in his chair with a laugh of his own. ‘Odo told me the next day he didn’t know how all the curls got singed that way...’

’That’s all?’ Freddy said, coming to the end. ‘What about the speech?’

’All, you say?’ Frodo said, sitting up again. ‘That is several days’ patient labour, I’ll have you know!’

’And done to a turn. You’ve pulled me in quite nicely, you see: I want more!’

’Well the speech is a bit difficult,’ Frodo said, settling back to sip from his now cold cup of tea. He put it down with a shudder. Estella quickly rose, took the tea tray and bore it away, to fetch fresh tea and pour out the cold.

’Difficult? How so?’ Freddy said.

’You should see the wadded-up paper in the dustbin,’ Frodo confessed. ‘I cannot seem to get it quite right. It was so long ago, you know, nearly twenty years now.’

’Talk to Ferdibrand Took,’ Freddy advised. ‘You know how phenomenal his memory is. He’ll give it to you word-for-word.’

’Will he? I thought he’d had his brains badly rattled,’ Frodo said.

’That hard-headed cousin of mine? Hah!’ Freddy answered. ‘I got a note from Rosemary just the other day that he’s on his feet and not much the worse for wear,’ he sobered and added, ‘save the fact that he’ll probably never draw a bow again.’

’I wonder if he remembers Bilbo’s speech?’ Frodo said thoughtfully.

’No harm in asking,’ Freddy said. ‘Why don’t you go down to the Smials and wish him a glad Yule?’

’What a good idea, cousin! I can check on Pippin at the same time,’ Frodo said.

’I’m full of good ideas, cousin,’ Freddy said. ‘You stick with me, you’ll get that book of yours written in no time at all.’

’I just might,’ Frodo said. ‘You wouldn’t care to read it, would you?’

’Probably not,’ Freddy said. ‘On the other hand, you might need someone to check your spelling or tell you all the things you’ve left out.’

’I’m the one who told him he left out the trees,’ Estella said, having returned with the tea tray a moment before. She now busied herself pouring out and fixing fresh cups for Frodo and Fredegar.

’Well, then, you’d best let Estella read it too,’ Freddy said. Seeing Frodo hesitate, he said, ‘What is it, cousin?’

’It’s not all fireworks and birthday parties, you know, Freddy,’ Frodo answered slowly.

’I know that. It’s about the Ring, after all. I was one of the original conspirators, remember?’

’But Estella—‘ Frodo protested.

’The midge knew as much about it as I did, after you disappeared. She has a way of worming information out of a fellow, as you ought to know quite well,’ Freddy said equably.

’Effectually annoying, like all midges,’ Frodo agreed. ‘Very well, midge,’ he said, addressing Estella, ‘on one condition.’

’What is that?’ Estella asked.

’That you let Freddy read it first, and only if he approves shall he pass it on to you. It is for your own protection,’ he added as she bridled. ‘Merry wasn’t sure I ought to write the story at all, you know. Pippin is all for it, of course; he wanted to lock me up in a tower in Minas Tirith so I could get it all down properly!'

’Merry?’ Estella said, subsiding as Frodo thought she would at the mention of the name. ‘Why not?’

’He fears that the darkness will stain the hearts of the hobbits who read the tale.’

’You don’t have to worry about me,’ Freddy said quietly. ‘My heart is already tainted by evil; my mind has known its shadow. Your tale can do me no further damage, I think.’

’Freddy!’ Estella gasped, but Frodo nodded.

’I know, Freddy, or I would not have let you begin to read at all,’ he said. ‘Still, your heart is not as tainted as some. Perhaps you can tell me if there are parts I ought to leave out.’

 ‘I’ll do my best, Frodo,’ Freddy said. Estella had the feeling that the two of them hardly noticed she was in the room with them at all, but then suddenly, her brother stirred himself, gulped down his tea, and held out his cup for more. ‘Did you manage to make sure this pot was properly hot, Babe?’ he said casually.

’Of course, Gaffer,’ she replied promptly, filling his cup, adding milk and sugar, and stirring well. She put the pot down again, seeing that Frodo’s cup was still quite full. ‘I know how it keeps the ache from your old bones, after all.’ She picked up the papers from Freddy’s lap, tapped them straight, and handed them to Frodo.

’Thanks, midge,’ he said. ‘I’ll go write down those trees now so that I won’t forget to put them in later.’

’You do that,’ Estella said firmly. ‘But drink your tea first, before it goes cold.’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List