Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea

Chapter 34. The End of the Chase

Merry stayed to supper with the Cottons, regaling them with tales of the ruffian-hunt.

’They’re all gone?’ Frodo asked. ‘You’re sure?’

’As sure as Uncle Merimac and the Thain can be,’ Merry said. ‘Of course, there will be watchers at the Bounds, and Shirriffs within the Bounds will be on the alert, but we’ve combed every inch of Woody End and all of Southfarthing thoroughly, and the Thain and his archers routed them out of Westfarthing.’

’What about the North?’ Frodo asked.

’Too cold, I think, with winter coming on,’ Merry said practically. ‘We’ve had no reports of ruffians there.'

’Where’s Mr Pippin?’ Samwise asked. He had turned up just before suppertime, and would be in Bywater a few days to check on the work on Bagshot Row and Bag End before going off again to plant more trees.

’He’s at the Smials already, taking up his duties,’ Merry said, with a glance at Frodo.

’Perhaps I ought to celebrate Yuletide in Tuckborough,’ Frodo said at once.

’An excellent idea, cousin, I understand they have quite the celebration planned, what with the son of the Thain returning from the dead and all.’

’How about Buckland?’ Nibs asked.

’Ah, well, they never gave up hope for me, you know,’ Merry said smoothly. ‘It’ll be the same old celebration as it always was.’

’Nothing wrong with that,’ Farmer Cotton said calmly. ‘It is good to return to the way things were before.’

’Yes it is,’ Merry said firmly. ‘And I’m off to Buckland, to take up my own duties, after supper.’

’Tonight!’ Frodo said in amazement. ‘What about sleep?’

’O that,’ Merry said dismissively. ‘Why, the stars are thick tonight, and who knows when the clouds will roll back in to cover them! Bright Nose and I will enjoy a nice, quiet ride, having the Road all to ourselves, and by morning we’ll be that much closer to home.’

’You’re welcome to stay, young master,’ Farmer Cotton said.

’My thanks, good sir, but what I’d really like...’ Merry said, and unaccountably hesitated.

’What is it, Mr Merry?’ Mrs Cotton said indulgently.

’I’d really like...’ Merry repeated, and suddenly Rose had an inkling of what he was going to say. She groaned inwardly and shook her head, but Merry wasn’t looking at her.

’If there’s no one there before me, that is,’ he added, and then said in a rush as if he were a shy and awkward farm hobbit. ‘I’d like to take Miss Rose back to Buckland with me someday, under proper circumstances, that is...’

At the gasps around the table, he looked around and then dropped his eyes, saying sheepishly. ‘Well I’ve asked and asked, even tried to go down on my knees in the market today...’

 ‘In the mud!’ Rose muttered indignantly.

’And she simply will not have me,’ Merry continued. ‘D’you suppose, Mr Cotton, sir, that you could put in a good word for me?’

’Well now,’ Farmer Cotton said, carefully not looking at Samwise, though that lad was white as a sheet. ‘I cannot force my daughter’s choice,’ he continued slowly. ‘You may pursue your suit, if you don’t make a nuisance of yourself, but it’s up to her to say “aye” or “nay”.’

Merry sighed sadly and toyed with his food for the rest of the meal. Samwise asked to be excused and stalked from the house. Frodo kept the conversation going, but when Merry got up to say he would spend some time with Freddy before riding on, the elder cousin quickly rose from the table, saying, ‘I’ll accompany you.’

When Rose started for the bedroom to ask if Mr Freddy or Miss Estella needed anything, she found the cousins still in the hallway. Frodo was evidently taking Merry to task, for she heard, ‘...taking things a little too far, don’t you think?’

’All he has to do is speak to the lass, and it’ll end!’ Merry said. ‘Who knew that Sam could be so stubborn?’

’You ought to know,’ Frodo said severely. ‘You ought to know very well just how stubborn he can be. He’s a rock, and you’re not going to pry him from the garden bed this way. The more you tease, the firmer he settles.’

’O very well, Frodo,’ Merry said, throwing up his hands, and Rose breathed a sigh of relief. ‘I’ll leave off. You have to admit it has been a good joke.’

’No,’ Frodo said. ‘It hasn’t. Samwise hasn’t found it funny at all,’ he added.

’Very well,’ Merry said in exasperation. ‘I’ve already said I’ll leave off. You have my word; I won’t speak to Rosie-lass again, nor tease her anymore.’

’Good,’ Frodo said shortly, and turned abruptly to go back to the kitchen, catching Rose in the doorway. He spoke no word, simply bowed to her in a gentlehobbitly fashion, and cheeks flaming, she turned back and hurried to fill the teakettle without a word.

***

In the bedroom, Estella had allowed Freddy to feed himself, though she kept up a light banter to make the task less onerous. Both looked up, seeing Merry in the doorway.

’Hullo, there,’ Freddy said. ‘Still dressed up like an old book of tales, are we? Slain any dragons lately?’

’O any number,’ Merry said casually. ‘You haven’t seen any round here, have you?’

’No, as a matter of fact,’ Freddy said.

’See?’ Merry said with an expressive gesture.

’You’ve been quite busy, then,’ Freddy added approvingly. ‘Good lad.’

’Hullo midge,’ Merry said, turning his attention upon Estella. ‘D’you know, you bear the most remarkable resemblance to my true love’s cousin Tilly.’

’Is that so, hedgehog?’ Estella murmured. ‘Tell me, do you wear your armour all the time?’

’Easier than carrying it about,’ Merry said cheerily.

’Even when you sleep?’ she pressed.

’Have you ever known a hedgehog to take his armour off?’ Merry said comfortably.

’Besides, he doesn’t sleep,’ Freddy said, and when Merry turned to him in surprise, he shrugged. ‘So I’ve heard tell.’

’That’s me!’ Merry said, striking a noble pose. ‘Always on the alert, watching for dragons or ruffians or wolves, never sleeping, ever vigilant.’

’The armour’s too uncomfortable to sleep in,’ Freddy said in an aside to his sister.

’So that’s what it is,’ Estella said. ‘I thought he was losing sleep over his lady-love.’

’My lady-love no longer,’ Merry said, placing the back of his hand against his forehead in a tragic way. ‘She has rejected me, and I am taking myself off in dejection.’

’Just so long as you take yourself off,’ Freddy said dryly, but Merry suddenly put his hand down and affected to stare at Estella as if he’d never seen her before.

’On the other hand, lass, you look quite a bit more interesting as “Tillie” than you did as “Twig”,’ he said thoughtfully.

Freddy sat up abruptly. ‘Don’t you start,’ he said in a completely different tone.

Merry stepped back. ‘What’re you on about?’ he asked in surprise. ‘It’s just good fun!’

’Not with my sister, you don’t,’ Freddy said severely.

Merry shook his head. ‘Goodness, folk around here have absolutely no sense of humour,’ he said. ‘I had better take myself off to the merry land of the Bucks who drink their brandy and know a joke when they hear one.’

’Good riddance,’ Freddy said, and grinned. ‘Have a safe trip, cousin, and don’t be a stranger.’

’O I won’t be,’ Merry said with a grin of his own.

’No he’ll keep turning up like a bad penny,’ Estella said dryly, to cover her feelings.

Merry grinned at her and said, ‘Fare-thee-well, midge!’ He glanced at Freddy and was reassured to see his cousin had settled back against his pillows. Abusing a younger cousin was apparently acceptable where love-making was not.

’Fare-thee-well, hedgie,’ she returned coolly, picking up the tray. ‘I’ll walk you to the kitchen.’ She half-expected him to pretend to swoon and begin his lady-love talk, but he’d evidently taken Freddy’s warning to heart and was civil, even more polite than usual.

In the kitchen, the Cottons bade him farewell, and Frodo had a hug for his cousin, Rose was glad to see.

’Goodbye, Miss Rose,’ Merry said, perfectly polite.

’Goodbye, Mr Merry,’ Rose answered.

’Is Samwise still gone?’ Merry asked in surprise.

’I believe he went up to see Marigold and his old gaffer,’ Farmer Cotton said quietly.

’Frodo?’ Merry said.

Frodo nodded and put an arm about his shoulders. ‘I’ll walk you out,’ he said.

Jolly had Bright Nose saddled and ready to go. ‘He’s had a good feed, and a bit of a rest,’ he said, and hesitated. ‘Mr Merry, don’t you think he’d like a night’s sleep, like the rest of us?’

’Bless you, Jolly, he’s half owl,’ Merry chuckled. ‘But thanks for getting him ready for me.’

Jolly heard the dismissal in his tone; evidently the cousins had some business to finish before Captain Merry rode away. ’You’re most welcome, Mr Merry,’ he said, and went back to his evening chores.

’Frodo, I really did not mean to grieve Samwise,’ Merry said.

’I know,’ Frodo responded. ‘I’ll tell him so.’

’Do you think he’ll hold it against me? I’d hate for that to happen,’ Merry said seriously.

’Samwise? He has far too much sense for that,’ Frodo said. ‘What I fear is that you’ve put his back up. Who knows when he’ll propose to Rosie after this, if ever?’

’Frodo, no!’ Merry said, horror-stricken. ‘Don’t say that! It was all in good fun...’

’You’ve been hanging about Pip too much, to have been so thoughtless in your pursuit of fun, cousin.’

’I’m sorry, Frodo,’ Merry said humbly. ‘I’ll... I’ll take more care in future.’

’You do that,’ Frodo said with another hug, then stepped back to let Merry mount the pony. ‘Safe trip, Merry, and don’t be a stranger.’

Merry raised his hand in farewell, turned his pony’s face to the lane, and rode away.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List