Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Go North  by sheraiah

Title: Go North ch 6

Rating: PG

Author: sheraiah



A/N: Okay, okay, I like Tauriel! I truly do! For this storyline, she had to fade and die. I'm sorry but that's just how it had to be.










Ooo







Legolas drew in a deep breath, appreciative of the scent of the trees around him. The patrol had left the Angle three days ago and the elf, for one, was mightily glad to be outside walls. He was still dealing with his grief over Tauriel's death, and would be for a long time, but he accepted her decision and the reasons for it. Death was inevitable among the Dunedain, but life carried on and it helped the young elf immeasurably to witness their fortitude.



Estel had been very closed-mouthed about the purpose of this particular patrol, but it was obvious to Legolas that there was one, beyond the usual. They traveled swiftly, as if they were on course to a rendezvous. The prince held his tongue, willing to trust the Rangers to tell him anything he truly needed to know, and carried on with the tasks he was assigned. This was the first time he had patrolled with Estel, and he had the sense that the young Man was observing and testing him. So be it. Legolas had had far older and more intimidating evaluators than a barely adult adan, whatever his lineage. Besides which, he had become very fond of Estel in the months prior.



Estel had told him that terrible night that they were going to the Shire, but by Legolas' reckoning they were on course to pass it. His fierce and rampant curiosity had always been foremost among the traits that his father's council deemed undesirable and in need of eradication in their Crown Prince. Thranduil, however, had encouraged him albeit adding instructions not to endanger himself in the course of investigation. Keeping a tight rein on this tendency was difficult, but he managed. He asked no questions, merely observing and cataloging clues to mull over during his turn as sentry. They were definitely meeting someone but for what purpose he had been unable to discover discreetly and he refused to abuse the trust the Dunedain had placed in him by asking. They would tell him in their own time. He would just need to remain patient, unfortunately not one of his traits.





Ooo





“Taurion, a word with you?” Estel asked, quietly as they finished breaking their fast several days into their journey.



“Of course,” Legolas replied. “If it is urgent, our bowls can wait a little while for cleaning.”



“No need,” a Ranger named Fallin said cheerfully. “I'll see to them. I drew last watch, so I'm free until then. The bowls won't take long.”



“Mind you do as good a job as Taurion does,” a Ranger named Siril quipped from across the fire. “I've no desire to taste Elrian's stew more than once!” Elrian gave him a good-natured shove as the rest of the camp laughed.



“No worry for that, Siril. We're already going to be tasting it for days!” Fallin shot back, dodging the spoon that Elrian flung at him in retaliation.



“Thank you, Fallin. It is important, if not urgent. I'm certain you can think of something that you'd like to trade the duty to Taurion for.”



“Anything but your laundry,” Legolas said dryly. “There is nothing of great enough worth as a trade to merit handling your stockings.” The camp roared with laughter as Fallin playfully slugged the elf in the shoulder.



“Just for that, I'll trade you privy duty on my next turn. And I'll have you know that yours don't smell like roses either after weeks on the road.”



“I am aware of that, but at least they do not smell like wet wargs who have rolled in carrion.” The camp erupted in laughter again and Estel, shaking his head, motioned for Legolas to follow him.



“Fallin, never try to best an elf with words. They are practically born knowing how to tease and argue.”





ooo





Legolas hopped up to perch on a rock just on the edge of a Man's sight of the camp. “What did you wish to discuss?”



“I know you have been very curious about our purpose and destination. I appreciate that you have trusted us as a whole and me in particular enough not to ask questions.”



“I knew that you would tell me what I needed to know in your own time.” He drew one leg up, wrapping his arms around it and resting his chin on his knee. “Estel, you are very used to keeping secrets, I deem. I understand that only too well. So, what is it that I need to know that you could not say before your kin? I am guessing it has to do with my lineage.”



“In a word, yes. Lord Elrond requested that we meet and escort a party heading from the Blue Mountains to Erebor by way of the Shire and Imladris. As your father's son, it might prove awkward but I believe that you must be among us to meet someone in this party.”



“You are foresighted, are you not?” Legolas asked, unsurprised when Estel nodded. “Then, it is well that I am here. Did Lord Elrond tell you who we are to escort?”



“No, but if I had to guess I would say it is probably the sister of Thorin Oakenshield. I know she has not yet made the journey to Erebor.” The elf's face became pensive, and Estel frowned. “What is it?”



“She might not remember, but I have met the Lady Dis before.”





-many years prior-







“Hush, do you hear that?” Legolas said, gesturing for the other elves in the patrol to be quiet.



“It sounds like a bird, but not,” Histel, an older warrior, commented softly. “That direction, I believe.” He gestured to the northeast.



“We must be careful. We are coming close to the edge of the forest. It is not safe to venture too close to the Lake if the dragon is hunting,” another of the elder warrior cautioned.



“The king has commanded that we stay clear of the areas that the dragon is likely to roam, and we shall do so,” Tauriel said decisively. “I do not believe that we will have to go that far and we should investigate. We are still finding animals wounded by the dragon's attack on Dale and Erebor.” She glanced at the prince. “Legolas, your eyes are the best. You may scout ahead. Take Delios with you. If you find a wounded animal, deal with the situation as you feel appropriate. I will take the rest of the patrol on. You will meet back up with us when you are able.” He nodded respectfully and moved cautiously in the direction the cries had come from, Delios trailing after him.



The cries grew louder the further from the path. It was not a bird, and Legolas suspected that it was not an animal, either. That would complicate things, but Tauriel had proved as canny as he had expected. She knew him too well. Legolas rarely pulled the rank he was entitled to, and Delios was the member of the patrol that he would be least likely to have to do so with. Should the source of the sound turn out to be what he suspected, Delios would not be much of an obstacle. He might even be curious enough to be an asset. Legolas crept out onto a thick limb that shadowed a clear spot in the underbrush, his eyebrows climbing to his hairline at the sight that met his gaze.



“What is that?” Delios asked in a whisper. He was a very young warrior and this was his first patrol.



“A dwarf child. A female, I think.” Legolas tilted his head, looking the child over as best he could from a distance. “She does not appear to be badly injured. Bruises, cuts and perhaps some minor burns.” He glanced around, straining his ears. “I do not hear any other dwarves. She must have gotten separated from her family.”



“What do we do? We cannot leave her here. She will die.” Delios said, wide eyed.



“And we shall not. Come along.”








The dwarfling's cries had become watery sniffles. Legolas dropped silently to the forest floor a couple of yards away from the child, motioning Delios to stay just behind him. Delios did not speak the Common Tongue, but Legolas was fluent. Deliberately, he snapped a twig and the dwarfling startled violently, her head snapping up, terror plainly written on her face.



“Peace, little one. We will not harm you.” Legolas said quietly, keeping his hands where she could see them. “Are you lost?” She sniffled loudly.



“You're elves.”



“Yes, little one, we are. And you are a dwarrow dam, yes?”



“Yes. How do you know that? My brother says Men and elves are usually too dim to tell.” Legolas chuckled, thankful that Delios was unlikely to have understood her words.



“I have seen dwarrow dams before. In Dale, my lady. Are you hurt?”



“I fell down. My ankle hurts and I can't walk anymore.” Her lip trembled. “Wolves are going to eat me.”



“If any wolves come, Delios and I will not let them eat you.. May I look at your ankle? I might be able to make it feel a little better.” She eyed him suspiciously for a moment before sniffling again and nodding. “Delios, hand me the healing supplies.” The young elf passed him the pack and fished some waybread out of his own supply.



“She looks hungry,” he said, taking a bite before offering it to the dwarfling. She took it politely, but devoured it as if she had not seen food for days. He handed her his waterskin, allowing her to drink enough to slake her thirst but not enough to make herself sick. While the dwarfling ate and drank, Legolas assessed her ankle. He was not a healer per se, but he had had the same training any warrior received to deal with combat wounds and accidents.



“She has twisted her ankle, but it is not broken,” Legolas said. “Keep her distracted, wrapping it will not be pleasant.” He wrapped it swiftly as Delios fed the child a small amount of dried fruit from his pack. She seemed little bothered by the ankle when faced with food.



“My lady, are you traveling with your family?” Legolas asked as soon as her ankle had been seen to. Her lip trembled again.



“I don't know where Mam went. We couldn't find her. My brother picked me up and ran when everything started burning. Frerin carried me out of the mountain. There were lots of dwarrows, but we couldn't find Mam. Thorin and Da found us later, and Grand Da. Grand Da was sick. I want my Mam.”



“Shhh, little one.” Legolas picked her up, settling her in his lap. “We will help you find your family.” To Delios he said, “It is the princess. Her people will be frantic when they realize she is not with them. We must find them.”



“She cannot have wandered far, and they are dwarves. We will hear them long before we see them,” Delios said with a shrug. “Since you are able to speak with her, I will range ahead. Is that acceptable, my lord?”



“Yes, and take care not to call me by name when we do find her kin. They are not likely to look fondly upon me under the circumstances.”








It took longer than either elf guessed to find the dwarven refugees. By the time Delios found the first sign of them, three days had passed.



“How in Eru's name did she get so far from her kin?” the young elf asked, exasperated.



“Who can say? Judging by their tracks, they've been searching for her. They shouldn't be too far ahead. Let us get her returned to them quickly.”



'”The quicker the better, my lord. She is very cute and little enough trouble, but the king is not going to be pleased that you've been away for so long. I would as soon stay out of his notice.”



“My father will not worry. He knows I am well. The trees would have told him had it been otherwise.” Legolas settled the sleeping child more comfortably against his shoulder. “I think I hear them ahead of us.”










“My prince, we must accept reality: if the Lady Dis were alive, we would have found her by now!” the black bearded dwarf pleaded. “As terrible as her loss is, we must continue on. Our people need food and shelter. We cannot delay the inevitable any longer.” The dwarf prince, Thrain's muscles jumped in obvious effort to stay his hand from striking down the unfortunate courtier elected to confront him. Behind him, his eldest son, eyes full of anguish, held his younger son as Frerin wept openly.



“Get out of my sight,” Thrain growled and the courtier fled. He turned to his sons. “He is correct that our people need food and shelter. I doubt your grandfather will long survive without both. My son, what are your thoughts?”



“We cannot give up on Dis. But neither can we allow our people to starve and die of exposure.” Thorin scowled fiercely, attempting to hide his grief and failing.



“Agreed. Balin, you and Thorin will lead them on. I will take a group and continue searching.”



“Father, no. You need to lead our people. You are next in line after Grandfather. While he's ill, our kin look to you. I will search for Dis. Balin and a few other warriors will come with me.”






“Oh, hells,” Legolas muttered. “Delios, what we planned is not going to work. I apologize in advance.” Taking a deep breath, Legolas stepped out into the open in full view of the dwarves, much to his companion's dismay. “Lord Thrain! I think perhaps that you have misplaced something very valuable. Or rather, someone.” He drew his cloak aside to reveal the sleeping child. “She is unharmed. She turned her ankle and received some cuts and bruises going through the forest, but she is well other than that.” He handed the child over to her anxious father quickly and was very careful not to make any sudden moves after she was out of his arms. Her father and brothers looked her over thoroughly before turning back to the elven prince.



“You have my thanks, Lord Legolas,” Thrain said gruffly. Legolas merely nodded.



“There is a town three leagues west where you should be able to barter for food and shelter,” the elf said softly.



“Again, you have my thanks. You should go before any more of our people see you.” Again, Legolas nodded and disappeared back into the trees.






End flashback








ooo









“She was a very small child at the time. It is doubtful that she would remember,” Legolas said. “How do you wish to handle the fact that they may well be hostile to the presence of any elf, much less a Mirkwood elf.”



“By not hiding your presence. You will be as you usually are, hood down. Your clothing is more of our style than of your home right now, so they may not realize that you're from Mirkwood.”



“Unless they have seen either me, or my father. We had best discuss what we plan to do if that is the case.”



“If necessary, I can send you ahead to Hobbiton, or back to the Angle. We shall see what happens.”



“Agreed. And now, since you have second watch, you should be sleeping, young Ranger,” Legolas teased with a grin.



“Yes, Dirhael.”



“Truly? That is the best you could do?”








ooo








Legolas stood among the Rangers, hood down, as Estel approached the dwarves. The dwarves seemed wary rather than hostile and Legolas was encouraged by that. It was a large group, males, females and children of both sexes as well as animals and carts. As Legolas' gaze swept across the assembled dwarves, he saw a familiar face. With effort, he refrained from grimacing as he recognized the bald, tattooed dwarf who had acted as Thorin Oakenshield's lieutenant. His presence might prove awkward.



“I am Strider. Elrond of Rivendell asked us to travel with you as far as the valley.” The young ranger bowed just enough to show respect without seeming subordinate. The tattooed dwarf bowed in the same manner.



“Dwalin, son of Fundin at your service. Master Elrond told us of this. Rangers are welcome in our camp. We can look after ourselves, but more warriors make the road safer.”



“Thank you, Master Dwalin. You are welcome in our camp as well. Master Elrond said that you wished to travel to Hobbiton?”



“Yes. We want to check on a friend there. We will not stay long.”



“Understood. We offer any aid that we may.” Estel bowed again. The dam standing next to Dwalin spoke up then.



“Captain Strider, I would speak with you, and with the elf who travels with you.”



“At your convenience, my lady,” Estel replied, bowing again, deeper this time.



“I will send for you once our camp is set up,” she said, her eyes moving between Estel and Legolas.



“We await your messenger.”






ooo







“It seems our wait is over,” Legolas remarked quietly, looking past Estel into the twilight gloom past the fire. The young Ranger stood, turning to meet the dwarf, Dwalin.



“Master Dwalin,” the Man said, inclining his head in greeting. “Let us not keep the lady waiting.” Dwalin merely nodded, turning back the way he'd come. Estel followed, Legolas a step behind him. Halfway to the dwarves camp, Dwalin stopped and turned to face them.



“I don't know what Lady Dis wants to talk to you for,” he said shortly, “But I want to know what you're doing traveling with Rangers, prince of Mirkwood.” Legolas briefly touched Estel's arm, forestalling anything the Ranger might have said.



“An honest question, and a fair one. I found I could not remain in the Woodland Realm after the Battle was over to watch my dearest friend die of grief. My father has had dealings with the Rangers over the years and thinks well of them. He suggested I spend some time among them. Lord Elrond agreed and sent a letter of introduction. I have been here since.” He met the dwarf's eyes steadily. Dwalin nodded and began walking again.



“Did she die?”



“Yes.”



“I'm sorry for that. From what Bofur and Oin have said, she loved the lad and he, her. It would have stirred up a hornet's nest, but we dwarves don't give our hearts lightly and we of the Company at least would have backed the match, if only to see Kili happy.”



“Nor do elves. Tauriel was young, but she knew her mind and her heart. I, too, would have supported her choice. He did love her. He told her as much when they parted company on the shore of the Lake.” Dwalin grunted what Legolas assumed to be agreement and they both fell silent again. They wound their way to a large tent at the center of the dwarves' encampment. Dwalin stopped at the entrance, speaking briefly to one of the sentries there. The sentry nodded and ducked into the tent, returning a moment later to bid them enter.



The lady Dis was sitting at a wooden table and rose as they entered her tent. “Thank you for agreeing to speak with me, Captain, Prince Legolas.”



“At your service, my lady,” Estel replied, bowing slightly again. “But I think perhaps it is Legolas you wish to speak with rather than me.”



“Not entirely, Captain. I do wish to speak with you, and we shall, but I did not wish to be disrespectful by asking to speak with the prince first. At least not in front of your command.”



“Come on, Captain. I've some fine ale that I can share in the meantime,” Dwalin said, nodding towards the fire out in front of the tent.



“Lead on, Master Dwalin,” Estel said, smiling.







Ooo







“You have not changed at all, Prince Legolas.” Lady Dis resembled her eldest brother to a great degree, down to the silver in her black hair and startling blue eyes.



“You have grown quite a bit, Lady Dis. I am sorry for your losses.” She nodded briefly.



“That is, in part, what I wished to speak to you of. I know you fought in the Battle. Dwalin sanitizers his account, he still sees me as the child I was when last we met at times. So, I will ask you: how did my sons die?”



“Fili died attempting to save both your brother and his, and Kili died attempting to save my friend.” Legolas glanced down before meeting her eyes again.



“Your friend. That would be the elf maid I have been told of. Tauriel.”



“Yes.” He truly did not wish to speak of Tauriel, but if she wanted to hear of her, he would do so.



“Lord Legolas, I have heard that she has died. I am sorry for that.” She sighed, walking back to the table and pouring two tumblers of wine. “Please, sit. I would speak of this in as civilized a manner as possible. I have a decision to made that you are uniquely able to assist me in making.” He sat carefully, folding his long legs under the table. “My cousin has sent word that your king has requested that Tauriel's remains be placed with my son's. The decision whether or not to allow this is mine, Dain says. So, I would know more of Tauriel. Will you tell me of her?” Legolas took a deep draught of the wine.



“I will. What do you wish to know?”








ooo








Much later, Legolas and Estel parted company with the dwarves and began the trek back to the Rangers' camp. The elf was quiet, his mood subdued. Estel shot worried glances at him every so often. Finally, when they were roughly halfway between the camps, Legolas rolled his eyes and stopped in his tracks.



“Estel, please ask what you wish to know.”



“Very well. How are you after that?”



“I would rather not have spoken of Tauriel, but she needed to hear of her. Dain has deferred the decision of whether or not to allow Tauriel's ashes to be interred with Prince Kili to Kili's mother. Lady Dis is not the sort to make an uninformed decision.”



“Will she allow it?”



“She did not tell me and I did not ask. It is rightly her decision. I would not attempt to sway her either way. She is a grieving mother. Pressuring her would be unconscionable.”



“I am sorry. Truly I am,” Estel sighed. “Did you draw sentry duty tonight?”



“No,” the elf said, turning and beginning to walk again. “But I may as well as I doubt I will find rest after that.” He shot the Ranger a sharp glance. “Do not look so at me. She did nothing wrong. The difficulty is mine and I will deal with it.”



“Far be it for me to try to get past your stiff necked elven pride,” Estel shot back. “Legolas, I think you have been too long in the way of having to rely only on yourself. Let go of some of the stubbornness and let us help you. Let me help you.” Legolas stopped again, drawing a deep breath.



“You have. All of you have.” He turned to face the young Man. “Estel, you helped me far more than you will ever know the night I learned of Tauriel's fate. Speaking of her then was what I needed. I needed to remember the good parts more than the end of it. Had I been home, there would have been little respite from the grief. Adar and I would likely have drunk ourselves blind. Adar most probably did. He did not often show it, but he loved her as if she had been his child too. He has far more regrets than I do.” He sighed, turning his face up to look at the stars. “Estel, I will be well, I promise you that.”



“I will hold you to that.” The young Man regarded him for a long moment. “And we will likely have some variation of this conversation again. For the time being, let us get back to camp. You may not need the rest, but I drew third watch.” Legolas shook his lead, almost chuckling.



“You are a fine one to talk. You are easily as stubborn as I am.”











<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List