Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Go North  by sheraiah

Title: Go North ch 7

Author: sheraiah






A/N: Yes, I know it's been forever. I write very slowly, and I have multiple WIP. I have not, however, abandoned any of them except Pearl of the Sea. Be patient, I'll get to updating the rest eventually. Anyway, I'm back from Dragon Con and decided to spend the last day of my vacation updating at least one of my WIP.









Ooo





Dis, daughter of Thrain, sighed heavily as she signed her name to the sheet of parchment before her, sprinkling sand over the signature to dry the ink and prevent smearing before using the wax and her seal on it. Handing off the message to the dwarf waiting to receive it, she nodded politely as that dwarf bowed and took his leave. Turning to her companion, she accepted the goblet that the dwarrow dam held out and drained it gratefully.



“It's done. Dain will make the arrangements and await our arrival to issue the invitation.”



“Are you certain this is what you wish? No one would dare argue either way, of course, but I worry that you're thinking only of the kingdom. If there's any time you're allowed to think only of yourself, it's now,” the dark haired dam stated softly.



“Nothing will bring them back. Barring the maid surviving, Kili would have wanted her with him. That's reason enough for me. The fact that Thranduil asked it, and politely at that, Dain can use as he sees fit.” She sighed again, rubbing her forehead. “Naris, we both know that Thorin likely antagonized Thranduil. My stubborn fool of a brother never could reign in his temper. Especially not where Thranduil was concerned. Da said that was why he always asked for Legolas to negotiate trade agreements. He has a longer fuse than his father does, and more of a sense of humor.” She smiled humorlessly. “So long as one doesn't underestimate him. He's every bit as sharp as his sire, and just as ruthless when he needs to be.”



“He puts on airs less than any elf I've ever met, I'll give him that,” Naris stated. “Did he answer your questions?”



“Yes, and in greater detail than I anticipated. He clearly cared a great deal for the maid, and he mourns her loss far more than he lets on.” She glanced at her companion. “He intended to champion the match to his father.”



“He told you that?”



“No. He told Dwalin when Dwalin told him that the company would have done so to the kingdom for Kili's sake. He was very careful not to tread into territory that might be exceptionally painful for Kili's mother unless I asked.” Dis' mouth twisted almost into a smile. “I think perhaps he doesn't have much experience with females if he thinks we're that fragile. I do, however, appreciate that he was trying to be kind. It speaks well of his upbringing.” She reached for the pitcher and poured another goblet, and a second for Naris before handing it to her companion. “This isn't the first time I've been on the receiving end of kindness from the prince of Mirkwood.” The look she gave Naris was eerily reminiscent of her younger son. “I never told you that I wandered away from our group while we were fleeing the dragon and he found me and brought me back to Da and my brothers, did I?”



“No, you didn't. As curious as I am about that tale, it would be better told tomorrow while we travel. You need to rest. I know for a fact that you've hardly slept since Dwalin and the others arrived.”



“Grief will do that. I'll try and rest, Naris. After today, I may manage a few hours.” She glanced up as her companion moved to the entrance of the tent. “Naris, please pass the word that Prince Legolas is known as Taurion among the rangers and is to be addressed as Master Taurion rather than by his true name.”



“He's hiding his identity?”



“Not from the rangers' captain. My guess is that he's doing so to protect his father. Regardless, he's been fair and honest with me so we will respect his wishes.”






ooo








Thranduil stood before the hearth in the Great Hall of Dale, listening to the activity taking place behind him with little interest. His company had arrived earlier in the day, bearing supplies for the people of Dale, as much as he could spare from his kingdom's stores without risking his own folk going hungry over the winter. At the moment, a group of his warriors were hunting to add to the stores of smoked meat that were running low in the city. He himself had declined a meal, not wishing for anyone to go hungry in favor of providing him a meal that he could well afford to miss. He remembered only too acutely being a refugee after the fall of Doriath, as could many on his council. For once, there had been little objection to sharing the stores with Bard's people.



Something brushed against his ankle and he looked down to see a gray kitten winding between his ankles and purring. A slight grin formed on his stern face and he knelt, picking up the small creature. “Where did you come from?” he asked quietly in his native tongue. The kitten merely purred louder and cuddled under his chin. He chuckled, scratching behind it's ears and rising to his full height again.



“Oh, you found Smudge!” Thranduil turned to see Bard's youngest grinning up at him.



“She is yours?” The little girl laughed.



“She belongs to everyone. And no one. Smudge goes where she pleases. She's already a really good hunter. Da swears she's keeping the mice out of the grain stores all by herself.”



“Then I am pleased to make her acquaintance,” he replied, humor lacing his tone. He handed the cat to the child and it settled contentedly into Tilda's arms.



“Sigrid said you didn't want any lunch.” She cocked her head, studying him. “Weren't you hungry?”



“Not enough to accept food that would be better given elsewhere,” he replied. Her eyes widened slightly.



“That's nice of you. Bain and Sigrid do that, too, unless Da catches them at it. They make sure I don't, though. Sigrid says I'm growing too fast to be skipping meals now.”



“I would agree with your sister's assessment. You are taller than when last I saw you.” He smiled slightly, enjoying his interaction with the charming child.



“Da says I'm growing like a weed. Sigrid had to let out the hems on all my skirts.”



“My son was the same when he was your size.” He chuckled, remembering Legolas as a gangly child and sobering as he remembered Tauriel as the same. “As was Tauriel.” A small hand slipped into his.



“I miss her too.” She looked solemnly up at him, the kitten having climbed onto her shoulder.



“She would not wish sadness on us,” he said softly. “Shall I tell you a happy story of her?”





ooo







“But Sigrid, he tells the best stories! And he doesn't mind. He would have said so if he did.”



“The hunters were coming in. King Thranduil needed to talk to them. You can get more stories later if he feels like telling them. Right now I need to make sure your best dress still fits and then I need your help making berry tarts.”



“Well, why didn't you say that in the first place? Berry tarts are his favorite, he told me so.”



“He said that? I wasn't sure, he usually won't eat when he's here.” Sigrid shook out the dress before turning to help her sister out of her everyday clothing.



“That's because he doesn't want anyone going hungry to feed him. He said that too, when I asked.” She smirked at her sister. “Just like you and Bain when Da isn't looking.” Sigrid flushed red.



“I honestly never considered that and I should have.” Her lips firmed into a line. “We'll see about that. And what do you mean just like Bain? He's got no business doing that, either. He's growing faster than you are.”



“Da doesn't like you doing it, either.”



“That's different, I'm grown or as near to it as makes no difference. Now hush and try this dress on.” She surveyed the dress' fit. “Not too bad. We do need to let the hem down a little, but that won't take long.”



“Don't stick me with a pin this time, Sigrid.”



“I won't if you hold still, wiggle-worm.”





ooo






“It's beautiful country, isn't it?” Strider asked, moving to stand at Legolas' left shoulder. The elf nodded, his eyes roving over the green fields and winding roads before them.



“It it a peaceful place. I pray that it remains so.”



“That is what we are trying to preserve by patrolling it's borders,” the young Man commented. “Hobbits are far from helpless, and they will defend their homes like badgers, but if we can prevent the need for that we will.” Legolas shot him a sharp look but held his tongue. From their vantage point they could see Dwalin, Lady Dis, Lady Naris, and a few others making their way along one of the winding tracks towards a hill with a green door. “Dwalin told me they intend to visit for a few hours only. Shall we visit the marketplace? I seem to recall that you are fond of sweet pastries.” Legolas shrugged and unstrung his bow, gesturing for the Man to precede him.






Ooo





Thranduil chuckled, shaking his head ruefully. Trust the ever-resourceful elder daughter of Bard to enlist his valet/assistant/bodyguard, Luinloth, to make certain he ate. The elf in question had placed to tray, filled with a modest amount of food and exactly one berry tart, in front of him moments before with a raised eyebrow and the comment, “I trust I do not have to stand over you to make certain that you eat, my lord?” Still chuckling, he applied himself to his meal while looking over the proposed trade agreement with Erebor.



It needed little tweaking, but these things were always done with negotiation. He made notations in several sections, initialed his changes and sealed it, setting it aside for the courier. Taking a bite of bread, he perused the letter from Dain, eyebrows shooting up as he laid the bread aside. He released a breath he had not realized he was holding and closed his eyes briefly before taking a clean sheet of parchment and setting his pen to it, his lunch forgotten.





Ooo





Legolas perched atop a large rock, turning an arrow idly over in his fingers, his attention on the group of dwarves winding their way back up to their camp. He hopped down, bowing respectfully to Lady Dis as she drew even with him. With a slight smile, she handed a cloth bag to him.



“Master Baggins said he remembered your fondness for sweet things and sent honey cakes for you with his compliments,” she said, a hint of her sons' playfulness in her tone and expression.



“Thank you, my lady. I shall write to Master Baggins and thank him for thinking of me,” he said, his dimples on full display as he smiled at her.



“I would speak with you again before we leave in the morning, if you are not standing guard, Master Taurion.”



“I am off duty in two hours time, Lady Dis. I will be at your disposal any time thereafter.” He bowed again.



“I will send someone to escort you.” She nodded briefly and her party continued on towards the camp.



“Good manners for one of the tall folk,” one of the males commented once they were out of earshot. “Someone had a good hand in his raising.”



“Indeed,” Dis remarked, humor lacing her tone. “I shall make a point of telling his father that when next I see him.” The dwarf who had made the first remark turned a startled look on the her.



“I didn't know you knew him, my lady.”



“Yes, I know him. In fact, Master Taurion saved my life once when I was but a child. A small measure of respect for him would not go amiss.” It was Dwalin's turn to look startled.



“Thorin told me about that but he never told me that it was him.” He frowned thoughtfully. “That explains some things.” Dis' expression turned curious, but Dwalin said nothing else.





Ooo





“Prince Legolas, please come in.” Naris held the tent flap aside, allowing his to duck through the opening.



“I thank you, my lady,” he replied quietly. He turned to Dis, “My lady Dis, you wished to see me?”



“Thank you for coming, my lord. Please, have a seat.” She indicated the table and he again carefully folded his legs under it. “Would you care for a goblet of wine and some of Bilbo's seed cakes?”



“Yes, thank you.” He accepted both the wine and a plate of the cakes from Naris before she bowed and passed back through the tent's entrance.



“My lord,” she began before he raised a hand to stop her.



“Please, I am much more comfortable being addressed merely as Legolas or even Taurion. Away from my father's domain, titles mean very little.” She studied him for a moment before nodding.



“Legolas, then. I wished to tell you that I have decided that Tauriel will rest with my son. It would be what Kili wished.” He breathed out heavily.



“Thank you. Tauriel would wish it so also.” She nodded again.



“I thought as much from your description of her. This is as close as they may get to being together. However much we all may wish that things had ended differently, we can at least give them that.” It was his turn to nod, and he took a quick, deep draught of the wine. “You grieve her loss as I grieve mine, however much you may try to hide it.” He met her eyes for a moment before looking away.



“She was my sister in every aspect except blood. I miss the thought of my mother, though I remember little of her, but I grew up with Tauriel. I miss her. I always will.”



“Then we will speak of her, and of Kili. Of happy times with them.”



“Of both your sons. And of your brother.” He raised his glass and she smiled, raising her own to touch his.








TBC












<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List