Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Go North  by sheraiah

Title: Go North ch 4

Author: sheraiah

Rating: PG

Warnings: Violence, character death ( canon past tense, oc), questionable humor



A/N: Just as an FYI, in my headcanon, Thranduil's paternal grandmother and Celeborn's father were siblings. That's why Elladan and Elrohir call Legolas cousin. This is NOT canon at all. Another piece of my headcanon that's relevant is that I see Legolas as being very young, as in somewhere between 400 and 900 years old. Again, this is not canon. Tolkien never actually gives a birth date for Legolas and the age PJ & company gave is actually Aragorn's birth date so in essence, they pulled an age for him out of their collective asses. There are some excellent essays on the subject on which I base my own views on the subject.. I list URLs for them in the author notes of another of my fics: Out of Space and Time. If anyone's really interested in reading them, PM me and I'll point you towards them or they do come up when you Google the subject.











Ooo







Legolas shifted, gasping when he jarred his wound. A hand grasped his shoulder, holding him still.



“Easy, do not try to move,” the quiet, deep voice said. Belatedly, Legolas realized his eyes were closed. He struggled to open them, the lids felt as if they were made of stone. “Wait a moment.” A soft, wet cloth was gently wiped over each eyelid. “Now try to open them.” To his surprise, his eyes opened easily.



The dimly lit room was unfamiliar to him. The only source of light was the fire , which had burned down almost to coals. He lay on a pallet near the hearth, his companion sitting tailor fashion between the hearth and Legolas.



“Where am I?” He coughed, choked and curled in on himself as his wound protested the movement.



“Easy! Slow breaths, keep your torso as straight as you can. That's it, easy.” The Man laid one hand between the elf's shoulder blades and the other on his chest. “Easy, breathe slowly but not too deeply. That's it. Good.” He fussed with the bandage for a moment. “Good, you did not reopen the wound. How does your stomach feel? Do you still feel sick?”



“No, thirsty.”



“Good. Here, have a sip of water.” He held a cup to Legolas' lips. “Only a small sip. There, very good. We will see how that settles.” The Man set the cup down. “Now, to answer your question, you are in my mother's house. Gilraen's house.”



“Estel?”



“Yes, good, you do remember.” He laid his hand on Legolas' forehead and then on his cheek. “You have had us worried.”



“Halboron?”



“He is recovering well. You did a fine job of tending to his injury. He will always walk with a limp, but has the leg still thanks to you.” Estel picked up the cup again. “Would you like another sip?” He held it to Legolas' lips again, allowing the elf to take a slightly bigger drink than before. “Rest now and we will try some broth when you wake again.” The Man placed his hand lightly on Legolas' shoulder and the elf sighed, allowing his eyes to close once more.








Ooo











“How is he?” Gilraen entered the main room of her cottage from her bedroom, closing the door quietly behind her.



“Better. He woke a little while ago and was able to take some water. It is a good sign.” Estel laid a gentle hand on Legolas' brow. “His fever has lessened.”



“Did Elladan and Elrohir go to get some rest?”



“Yes, just after midnight when his fever broke the first time. They should be returning soon.” Estel stretched his back.



“You should rest when they do.” She moved to the cupboards in the front corner of the cottage. “I had best prepare some breakfast for all of us, and something that Taurion might manage as well.”



“Broth would be best,” her son said. “I can prepare that, if you wish.”



“No, I can. You have enough to do tending to him.” She smiled at her son. “Truthfully, I am glad to be able to do something for him. He has been a tremendous help to me.” She shook her head. “I never would have guessed from his manner that he was a king's son. He's very humble.”



“We really know very little about what life is like in the Woodland Realm. Those who may know more of it in Imladris are remarkably closed-mouthed,” Estel commented, laying a cool, wet cloth on Legolas' brow.



“That is because King Thranduil would rather be underestimated,” Elladan said as he passed through the door, his twin in his wake. Elrohir shut the door behind them and handed Gilraen the cloth sack he was carrying.



“Fresh bread from Areliel. I believe it is her holiday bread.” He glanced at Estel. “How is he?”



“Better. His fever is less and he woke for awhile and was lucid.”



“Good.” Elladan sat down on the floor by Legolas' head. “King Thranduil is a very strong, very stubborn elf. He has held his realm together through war, famine, the loss of 2/3 of it's warriors and through the loss of his queen and has done so with only his own determination and that of his people.”



“You respect him greatly,” the young Man commented.



“Yes, I do. In no small part because I met him in happier days and remember fondly how he allowed Elrohir and I as small elflings to climb into his lap and be given sweets when our Naneth was not looking and stories when she was.”



“We also,” Elrohir added as he sat next to his brother, “remember how he was with this young one when he was a small elfling. Do not for one moment think that he does not love his son more than life, more than his realm. Legolas is not one to rule a kingdom, and his father will not force him into a role for which he is unsuited.”



“Is that why he's here?” Gilraen asked, setting out the bread along with cheese and fruit preserves. She dropped a few meaty bones from the previous day's meal that she had kept in the cellar into a pot of water as a start for the broth along with a couple of roughly chopped root vegetables and some herbs.



“No. Why he is here is for him to say or not as he chooses. All I will say is that being here will be good for him.” Elladan removed the cloth from Legolas' brow, dipped it in the bowl of cool water, wrung the excess water out of it and laid it back on the young elf's forehead. “Estel, Elrohir and I will tend him now. Eat and then go rest.”



“Yes, Elder,” Estel replied with a grin, dodging the half-hearted cuff that Elladan aimed at his ear. “Wake me if his fever worsens.”








ooo








Legolas came to himself again with a sharp gasp, feeling strong hands restraining him. He tensed, his warrior's experience telling him to fight, when a soft voice by his head claimed his attention.



“Easy, pen neth. You are among friends and safe.” Legolas opened his eyes to see Elladan smiling down at him. “Do you know where you are?”



“Lady Gilraen's house,” the prince croaked.



“Here is water to soothe your throat,” Elrohir, who was kneeling between Legolas and the hearth, said, holding a cup to the prince's lips. Legolas took a small, cautious sip. “Better now?”



“Yes.” Legolas let the tension seep out of his body, relaxing and laying his head back onto the pillow. “How long have I been unconscious?”



“Two days. You have had us worried, cousin.” Elrohir laid the backs of his fingers on Legolas' brow. “Your fever is lessened. You are not out of danger yet, however. Do you think you might manage some broth?”



“I will try. I am thirsty rather than hungry.”



“I do not doubt it but your body needs fuel to heal. So long as it does not make you ill, broth would be best now.” Elrohir moved to the pot that hung over some banked coals and ladled a small amount of it's contents into a bowl. Settling back next to Legolas, he held a spoonful of broth to the prince's lips. “Let us see how this settles.” Legolas ate the broth without protest, knowing that not only would protest have been futile but he was not steady enough to manage the spoon himself.



“How is Halboron?”



“He is well. His days of patrolling are likely over but he has his leg and his life.” Elrohir set the bowl aside. “Let us see how that does before we try more.” He sat back on his heels. “We have a letter from your Adar, if you are feeling well enough to read it.”



“Yes, please. I have had no word from him since before I left Imladris.”



“Brother, if you will retrieve the letter, I will get us some more light,” Elladan said, reaching for the candle holder that sat on the corner of the hearth. Elrohir rose gracefully and fished the letter from the pack he had left by the door. He handed the letter to Legolas with a smile as his brother carefully helped Legolas to prop himself up with a folded quilt and a second pillow. The prince thanked them solemnly and broke the seal on Thranduil's letter.




My beloved son,



I hope this letter finds you well and with more peace of spirit than when we last were in each other's company. Elrond was kind enough to include a letter along with your last letter assuring me of your well being. I know well that you would have told me of anything important, but I appreciated his gesture. As he is a father as well, he knows the worries of a parent whose children, albeit grown, are absent from his presence.


Before you think to ask, Tauriel is as well as can be expected. She is eating, and I have endeavored to provide distractions to keep her busy enough not to dwell on her grief. From my own experience, I found that to be necessary. I dare not allow her to resume her tasks as a warrior as yet, knowing again from my own experience that she is likely to be reckless and disregard her safety in her desire to obliterate the creatures who robbed her of the one she loves. Her healing, if indeed it can be called such, will take much time and is largely up to her. I will provide such help as I can, as she will allow.


As for Dale, Bard is proving to be worthy of his line. Indeed, he reminds me greatly of Girion. We have provided as much as we can spare from our stores, and I have tasked Delion, Thalion, and Luinil to stay and hunt for the people of Dale. Bard has seen to the fair distribution of the stores and of the meat. He will likely lose a few of his people over the winter, but his actions will save the majority and that is the best that can be hoped for. He has a steadfast set of helpers in his two elder children, his eldest daughter in particular, and a source of comfort in his youngest. That young one is a delightful child, who could brighten the darkest day merely with her presence. I was completely charmed, I must admit.


Dain is proving to be an adept king. His manner is rough, but he is shrewd and he has been fair in his dealings with Bard, and with us I must concede. He has honored Thorin Oakenshield's original agreements with the people of Laketown and beyond. I can find no fault in his dealing with them, nor with our people. Time will tell, of course, but in my view he has already proven a far better king than his late predecessor. He has brought his heir, his son who is also called Thorin, to Erebor. The young one seems to be of a stoic and steadfast sort. He certainly has put an end to some foolishness that a few of the rowdier of the young warriors got up to after the dust of the battle settled. As much as I abhor the loss of life, particularly of Oakensheld's two young nephews, I believe Erebor will be fortunate in its current leadership.


Our people are also as well as can be expected, given the losses we took in the battle. I am ever thankful for the fortitude of Silvan elves. Once again, they have proven to be stronger than loss and grief and I am grateful for it. We will endure.


And because Dol Goldur has been cleaned out, we have enough of a respite from orc incursions to finally deal a decisive blow to the spiders. We may even be able to reclaim some of the territory we have lost over the last couple of ennin. Not all of it, as we do not wish to spread our forces too thinly, but at least some of it. And we will again be able to patrol the Forest Road. I suppose I should thank our cousin and his Noldor wife for their aid in that. I have already thanked Elrond, Mithrandir and Aiwendil. Curunir, I trust not regardless of his assistance with the matter of Dol Goldur and prefer not to have dealings with.


As for myself, I am as I have always been though I miss your company and your counsel. However, I would not have you return until you are ready to do so. Be well, and return when you will.




Adar





Legolas smiled; he could almost hear Thranduil's voice speaking the words of his letter. He was glad to hear of home, but he would not be ready to return for some while yet, perhaps for some years. He folded the letter, and handed it back to Elrohir.



“Good news, I trust?” the younger twin asked.



“Yes, or at least as good as is possible.” Legolas relaxed back on his pillows. “I need to write back to him soon. He will know that I have been wounded and he will worry until he hears from me.”



“Our Adar does that too,” Elladan remarked. “We sent word to him of your wound and that you were recovering, which he will pass on to your Adar, but you are correct that hearing from you directly will assuage your Adar's cares.”



“Do you think you might be able to manage a bit more broth?” Elrohir asked.



“I think so, “ Legolas replied, allowing the younger twin to feed him again.








Ooo








Legolas eased himself down onto the bench outside Gilraen's house with a sigh. It had taken most of his energy to get himself out to the bench, but he was profoundly grateful to be outdoors. He had scowled when Estel insisted that he wear a cloak, but now that he was outside he was glad of it. The day was cool, there had been frost on the ground that morning, but the sun was out and it would likely be a fair day. He turned his face to the sun and simply sat, soaking in the relative warmth.



“It's good to see you up again, Taurion,” Areliel called as she made her way towards him, Her arms were laden with a basket full of breads and other treats. She had taken it upon herself to help feed not only Legolas, but Estel and the twins as well. Legolas grinned at her.



“I am a poor patient, I am afraid. Estel has the patience of a Vala, thankfully.” He peered into the basket. “If that is your bread that I see, I think you spoil me.”



“Nonsense! You're too thin still. We need to put some weight onto your frame. I have eggs baked in sausage, biscuits, the bread, and some fruit pies. I know you like those, too.”



“Ah, now you truly are spoiling me! We will have to check with Estel and see if I am permitted to have a fruit pie because I would really like one.” He grinned up at her.



“I will ask him, you stay where you are. You've been abed for nearly a week. I imagine it feels wonderful to be up and outside for a change.”



“It does. I am enjoying having the sun on my face.”



“Good. Stay put and I'll go ask Estel what you may safely have.” Areliel knocked on the door, pausing until she heard Gilraen bid her to enter.



Legolas leaned back against the side of the house, turned his face back to the sun, and allowed himself to drift into a light reverie. He blinked, coming back to himself when Areliel passed back through the door, Gilraen a step behind her.



“Here, Taurion,” Gilraen said, handing Legolas an egg baked in a mild sausage. “Start on this and you can finish with a berry pie. You did well enough with the stew last night, and the sausage is mild enough not to bother your stomach.”



“Thank you both,” Legolas replied, accepting the egg and taking a small bite. He ate slowly, both to savor the taste and to not overtask his digestion. He finished the egg, making a mental note to ask Areliel to teach him to make the dish. He thought perhaps that his father would also appreciate eggs baked into sausage. Areliel handed him the berry pie with a smile before taking her leave. This he ate slowly as well, again savoring it. Brushing the stray crumbs from his shirt, he sat back and drifted into reverie once more.








Ooo








From then on, Legolas healed rapidly and Estel soon pronounced him sound enough to return to his cottage. The elf accepted the young healer's restrictions to his activities with good grace and soon found himself released to patrol again. Halboron, however, was permanently lame and acquiesced to being assigned to the instruction of the young warriors among the Dunedain.



Life once again settled into a routine for the settlement, the orc activity growing less as winter gave way to spring and spring gave way to summer. The twins left for Imladris in the middle of spring, bearing letters from Legolas to both Thranduil and Tauriel.








Ooo








Legolas strode through the settlement, a sack of herbs hanging from his shoulder. He had gone out before daybreak to gather some much needed medicinal plants. There was what the Men called Summer Sickness in the settlement and Estel and Gilraen had been working tirelessly to aid those who had fallen ill. There had been a few deaths, two of the oldest residents of the Angle and three young children.



Legolas had immediately volunteered his help in any capacity. He hunted herbs, fetched water, kept the supply of firewood and meat abundant and sat with those who were ill through the long stretches of the night. There had been no new cases of the illness for nearly a week and Estel was optimistic that the disease had begun to run it's course. The elf fervently hoped so.



He slipped soundlessly through the door, handing the herbs off to Estel before crossing the room to sit next to Areliel's bed. The woman had been among the last to fall ill and was in the most dangerous stage of the disease. Legolas removed the now warm cloth from her brow and dipped it in cool water, wringing it out and laying it back across her forehead. He did the same with the cloths on her chest, arms and legs she seemed to relax a bit when he was done and he moved on to do the same for another of the afflicted Dunedain.



The last bed he stopped by was one of the children, a young girl named Ellia. She had seemed to be recovering but had suddenly taken a turn for the worse during the night. He touched the cloth on her brow and frowned to find it cool. Taking a closer look, he saw to his sorrow that she breathed no more. Sternly controlling his expression, he gently wrapped her in the bedding she lay upon and lifted her into his arms.



“Oh, no,” Gilraen exclaimed, turning to see what he was doing. “Not Ellia!”



“She is gone, my lady,” the elf said quietly. Gilraen swallowed hard and nodded.



“Go ahead and take her outside. I will tell her parents.”



Legolas carried the child out to the place where the dead were being interred. Burials must be quick to prevent further spread of the sickness. He laid her in the grave that had been dug in the event that it would be needed, settling her gently and respectfully before nodding to the young Man waiting to fill the grave.



“Ellia, daughter of Solon,” he told the Man, who grimaced and nodded before beginning his task.



Legolas walked back towards the council house, where the sick were being tended, but found that he could not bring himself to go right back in. He dropped to sit on the bench outside, taking a few moments to compose himself. He had seen death before, most recently during the events leading up to the Battle of Five Armies and the Battle itself, but seeing a child that he knew, that he had told stories to in the evening by the hearth in the council house laying in a grave was not something that he had ever thought to have to see. He took a deep breath and began to try to gain some semblance of control over his emotions.



“Taurion?”



The elf looked up to see Halbarad looking at him fearfully and he hastened to reassure the young Man,



“Your mother is holding her own, Friend Halbarad.” He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. Halbarad visibly sagged with relief before squaring his shoulders again.



“Who was it?”



“Little Ellia.” Legolas looked away quickly. “I should go back in.”



“You've been working without sleep for nearly three weeks. Take some time if you need to,” Halbarad protested. “My father sent me to ask if you needed anything.” Halboron had been ill but was now nearly recovered. Legolas shook his head.



“No, I just replenished the herb supply and we have all had a meal. I thank you both.” He stood and moved to the door. “Halbarad, I will do everything I can for your mother.”



“We know, and we are grateful. Send someone to us if we can do aught.” Legolas nodded and passed through the door.








Ooo








“Put your arm around my neck, Areliel. There, up we go.” Legolas stood, grinning at her. “Time to get you to your own bed, my lady.”



“Thank you, good sir. I am the envy of all the young lasses right now, you know,” the woman teased, smiling up at him. She was thin, and still weak, but had recovered enough to be sent back to her own home. Beside them, Gilraen chuckled.



“You and Lissuin,” she agreed. “Our Taurion is much in demand for transport these last few days.” Legolas felt his ears reddening and shook his head. He truly did not understand the fascination some of the Dunedain females had for his appearance.



“Poor Taurion, we're embarrassing you, aren't we?” Areliel asked.



“It is more that I do not understand,” he replied. “It is not as if the ladies here have never seen an elf.”



“We do occasionally see elves, yes, but seldom do we see elves with yellow hair and dimples,” Areliel explained, laying her head wearily on his shoulder. “You are a bit exotic.”



“I would think you would be a bit exotic anywhere you went. As I was told, most elves are dark haired. Is that not the case?” Gilraen asked.



“It is,” he confirmed. “My father's hair is paler than mine, and there are three or four others among the Sindar in the Greenwood that are fair haired. I know of one elf maiden who has red hair among the Silvans, but the rest are dark. And other than Lord Glorfindel, I saw only dark haired elves in Imladris.” He glanced at Gilraen. “May we please discuss something else?”



“I'm sorry, Taurion. I didn't wish to make you uncomfortable. I just wanted to see your smile again. You've been very grim of late,” Areliel said. “I have been worried.”



“I will be well, when everyone has recovered fully.” His mouth firmed into a line. “I do not fully understand sickness, but I do know that I hate it.”



“So do we all,” Gilraen replied softly, her eyes tearing. Areliel's arm tightened around his neck and he glanced down at her, afraid that he was holding her too tightly. She gave him a sad smile and he nodded, unable to say anything else.








Ooo








After getting Areliel settled with her husband and son, Legolas made his way back to his cottage. He expected that he would be sent out on patrol within the next day or two and wished to attempt to get some sleep before that happened. He had been four weeks without true sleep and he was beginning to feel the effects. As he reached his door, he heard his assumed name called. Turning, he saw Estel approaching.



“Taurion, Elladan and Elrohir just arrived. There are letters for you.”



Legolas accepted the packet of letters, thanking the young Man and sat down to read. He opened his father's letter first and began to read. Half a paragraph in, the letter fell from his hand.










TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List