Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Go North  by sheraiah

Title: Go North ch3

Author: sheraiah

Rating: PG

Warnings: Violence, character death (minor, o/c, canon and past tense)



A/N: Well, my lovelies, I'm on a roll it seems. Let's see where this journey takes us, hmmm?








Ooo








Legolas shifted Halboron's weight slightly before continuing down the path. The Man had been fevered and unconscious for the last several hours, adding to the elf's worries. He would have to stop long enough to clean and tend Halboron's wound as soon as the sun was high enough that he was unlikely to run into orcs.



They had been dodging the orcs since they had left the farm house four days earlier, Legolas using every trick he knew to throw the foul creatures off their trail and keep himself and Halboron alive, He swore that as soon as he got his companion to safety, he would backtrack and give this particular band of orcs a taste of what angering one of the House of Oropher really meant.



'The foul things have already cut us off from the outpost Halboron intended us to make for,' the elf thought sourly. 'I have no choice but to make for the Angle.'



He set his companion down by a small stream and tended his wound as soon as the sun was high enough. Halboron's leg was inflamed but looked better than it had the evening before. The Ranger woke enough to take some water and some hardtack before lapsing into unconsciousness once more. Legolas sighed, it was as he expected. He was strong, far stronger than a Man, but carrying Halboron slowed him down. It would likely be another day and a half at the least before they made it, if they were lucky. If they were very lucky, they would run into another patrol. Legolas had done a fair amount of praying to that effect in the last day or so.



He refilled his waterskin and Halboron's and ate a bit of hardtack before hauling Halboron over his shoulder once more and setting off.








Ooo








Legolas crouched as low as he could, shielding Halboron with his own body and mentally cursing the orcs that shuffled past their hiding place. This was the largest group he had seen, a dozen strong. Had he been alone, he might have considered starting to thin their numbers but he would not risk Halboron. He had heard wargs in the distance ahead of them and feared that this group was heading to meet up with a larger pack. He only hoped that they could remain concealed until the orcs passed, then circle around them and make for the Angle.He estimated that the stronghold was no more than six leagues North of their current position. Dirhael needed to know about the orc activity.



Remaining still until the last of the stragglers passed, Legolas hefted Halboron again and moved as swiftly as he dared in the direction of the Angle. The time for subtlety was now passed. Hopefully, the orc's trail would conceal his.



Keeping to the trees as much as possible, Legolas traveled through the night and well into the next day before stopping again. He checked Halboron's wound and was pleased to see it looking better. Halboron roused, and took in more water and food than he had been able the previous day. The elf was relieved to see lucidity in the Man's eyes once again, and his fever was much lessened. He was able to walk for awhile with Legolas' assistance when they resumed their trek.








Ooo







“That's the fourth group that's passed us,” Halboron whispered. “I have never seen so many orcs this close to the Angle.”



“There is purpose behind this, I am sure of it. Dirhael must be told.”



“Agreed. We just have to stay alive long enough to tell him.”



They cautiously emerged from their hiding place, Legolas lending support to the still ailing Halboron. The companions continued to keep to the shadows, leaving as little sign of their passing as possible. A couple of hours later, the elf cocked his head, listening.



“I hear horses,” he said softly.



“This close to the Angle, it's likely Rangers but better safe than sorry,” Halboron whispered, weariness patent in his voice.



“Agreed, Friend Halboron. The bushes on our left should conceal us.” Legolas quickly got Halboron settled and doubled back to erase any track they had left before sinking down next to his companion. Soon, Halboron could hear the horses approaching.




“More orc sign, Brother,” a melodious voice stated.



“Too much,” an almost identical voice agreed. “Estel, I have never seen so much orc sign this far North. We must be cautious.”



“We must wonder for what purpose. I do not doubt that there is one,” a third voice stated.



“The less said of that out here the better, pen neth,” the first voice rebuked.



“Stop for a moment,” the third voice said. A pause, and then, “A Man with an injured leg has passed this way. See, here?”



“Yes,” the first voice agreed.



“And here, do you see what I see?” the third voice asked. A soft curse.



“Yes an elf's print, and more than that, I know who made it!” the first voice exclaimed. “We have no way of knowing how long ago they passed this way.”



“Not so very long ago, my friend,” Legolas said mildly, rising from where he had circled around to stand behind the riders. All three, who had dismounted, whirled at the sound of his voice.



“You mad, reckless, idiot!” Elladan exclaimed, crossing the distance between them to cuff Legolas on the ear before embracing him. “What were you thinking?”



“Or were you thinking at all?”Elrohir growled, cuffing the other ear before likewise embracing Legolas.



“I was thinking that Halboron needs a healer,” Legolas said, scowling and rubbing both ears.



“Where is he?” asked the young Man traveling with the twins. “Halboron is my cousin.”



“This way,” Legolas said, leading them.








Ooo








“Your leg is on the mend, cousin,” the young man Estel said, tying the fresh bandage.



“Thank Taurion for that,” Halboron said. “He's kept me alive these last few days. Refused to leave me behind, even though he would have been wiser to.”



“You would not have left him, had your positions been reversed, cousin,”



“Nay, I know. I only left Durion after I was certain he was dead.” He ran a hand through his hair. “What now?”



“Now.” Elladan said, “We get the two of you to the stronghold.” He rose and helped Halboron to his feet. “You will ride with me. Taurion can ride with Elrohir.”



“Ware! We have tarried too long. The orcs have caught our scent!” Legolas cried, running from the direction in which he had been scouting. “Now is the time for haste.”



“Then let us make haste.” Elladan lifted Halboron onto his horse, mounting behind him. Estel was in the saddle a heartbeat later. Elrohir mounted and wheeled his steed around, reaching out a hand to Legolas, who jumped up behind him. They set off at a gallop, all pretense at stealth gone.



They broke through the trees, their speed increasing as the country opened up ahead of them. Behind, they could hear the howls of wargs. Legolas looked back and swore.



“Warg riders, with bows!”



“Let's hope their aim is as poor as usual!” Elrohir replied.



“I hate it when you do that,” Legolas growled, stringing his bow and taking aim at the closest warg. His accuracy, responsible for the rapid demise of three of the wargs, succeeded in backing the pursuit off a bit. As the familiar walls of the Angle drew near Legolas' arrows, now nearly spent, were joined by the arrows of the Dunedain archers stationed on the walls. The orcs broke off their pursuit and turned tail, fleeing back the way they had come. The gates were opened and the three horses and their riders passed through them at a canter, the gates closing swiftly as soon as they were safely inside. Elladan handed Halboron down to Dirhael, who steadied him until Estel could help him into the council house. Elrohir helped Legolas down and then both twins dismounted, handing their horses and Estel's off to the young boys waiting to lead them to the stables.



“What happened?” Dirhael asked.



“We ran into a large pack of orcs just East of the Road,” Legolas said. “I tried to lay a false trail and lead them off but the group split and some followed Halboron and Durion. They killed Durion and injured Halboron before I caught back up to them. We have been making our way back since then, almost a week now, and have been dodging orc packs every step of the way.” Dirhael exhaled, running a hand through his hair.



“Damn. No, Taurion, it wasn't your fault. It was a good plan, and probably the best thing the three of you could have done. I'll go tell Durion's wife and sons. You go let Elladan and Elrohir look you over and get some food and rest. We'll talk more later.”



“Halboron?” Areliel came running up, her son by her side. “I was told that my husband is injured.”



“In the council house, Areliel. Estel is with him.” Dirhael clapped Halbarad on the shoulder, gave Legolas a pointed look and nodded towards the twins and then set off towards Durion's home. Areliel flew through the door of the council house and Halbarad turned to Legolas.



“How badly was he hurt?”



“An arrow to his thigh. He is on the mend, Halbarad. He will be well,” Legolas said, unstringing his bow and shrugging out of his quiver. Halbarad sagged with relief and Legolas offered him a slight smile. He grieved Durion's death, but was very glad that Halboron had made it home to his family.



“Come into the council house, Taurion,” Elladan said, placing a slight emphasis on Legolas' alias. “The sooner we have a look at you, the sooner you can put some food in that skinny, Wood Elf body of yours.” Out of habit, Legolas responded with a gesture that, among the archers of Mirkwood, was considered extremely rude.



“Shame on you, Taurion, teaching young Halbarad your bad habits!” Elrohir jibed, causing jaws to drop all around them. The sons of Elrond were typically grim and not prone to jokes, in the experience of the Dunedain.



“Oh, shut it, you insufferable Noldor prat,” Legolas shot back. “I will be right there.”



“Well, that is gratitude for you, Brother. We pull his fat from the fire and this is the thanks we get,” Elrohir smirked at his twin.



“As I recall, that was merely just payment for a certain incident with some eight-legged trespassers whilst you were visiting my home a few decades ago,” Legolas said sweetly. “Go torment your companion. I will be along presently.” Elladan gave a bark of a laugh.



“Careful, Taurion, I believe you have shocked poor Halbarad. You have been on your best behavior, have you not?” The twins turned and entered the council house.



“What did you just call him?” Halbarad asked.



“Insufferable Noldor prat,” Legolas replied firmly, a grin pulling at the corner of his mouth. “He is not, truly, of course. We merely enjoy twitting each other.” He chuckled at the expression on the young Man's face. “I have known Master Elrond's sons since I was a babe. We have always behaved thus with each other.”



“I can take your things to your house for you, Master Taurion,” a young boy who was one of Legolas' archery students piped up.



“Thank you, Aris.” Legolas handed his pack, bow and quiver to the boy who grinned and took off running. Legolas turned toward the council house, swaying suddenly on his feet. Halbarad steadied him.



“Are you all right?” the young man asked, concern plain on his face.



“No, I think perhaps I am not,” Legolas said, gripping Halbarad's shoulder as his knees buckled. His last conscious thought was that Elladan and Elrohir would never let him hear the end of it for fainting as Halbarad caught him, hefted him and began to carry him into the council house, shouting for help.








Ooo








“Taurion!” Halbarad caught the elf as he slumped, and shifted him into a bridal carry quickly before heading into the council house.



“Halbarad, what happened?” Gilraen appeared at his elbow.



“I don't know! He was fine, joking with Elladan and Elrohir and then he just fell over.” Halbarad said, fear making his tone sharp.



“Is Estel with the twins?”



“Yes, my lady. He's looking after my father.” Gilraen patted his arm.



“Let's get Master Taurion inside and get him seen to. I'm sure you're wanting to see your father as well.”



“After I make sure Taurion's all right. I'm pretty sure he saved my father's life.”







ooo





“Elladan, Elrohir!” Gilraen called as she guided Halbarad toward a table. “Halbarad, lay him down here.”



“What happened?” Elladan exclaimed, rushing to Gilraen's side.



“He was talking and he just collapsed,” Halbarad said.



“Help me get his cloak and tunic off. We need to check him for wounds.” Elladan unfastened the cloak and the tunic, easing the elf's arms out of the sleeves and lifting him to remove the tunic.



“Here, Elladan. There's blood on his shirt,” Gilraen said. “Best we cut the shirt off, it's ruined anyway.” She pulled a pair of shears from her pocket and slit the sides of Legolas' shirt, then slit the sleeves and lifted it off of him. “I see a broken arrow shaft. The arrowhead looks like it may be lodged in a rib. I wonder that he didn't feel it.”



“He may well have known it was there, the idiot,” Elladan ground out. “And did not tell us because he felt Halboron's need to be greater than his.”



“Be fair, Brother. He might well not have felt the wound. You know how he gets,” Elrohir chided, joining his brother, steaming bowl of water and bandages in his hands. “Estel, we may need you as soon as you are finished with Halboron. Now, let us see what we have.”



“We need a bit more light, for a start,” Elladan said. “Halbarad, can you light a couple more lanterns, please.” The young man quickly did as he was told.



“Brother, look at the shaft of the arrow,” Elrohir's voice was hushed.



“I see it,” Elladan replied in a clipped tone. “Gilraen, we will need the poison kit. And some athelas, if you have it.”


“I do. He brought me some before he left on patrol. I will be right back.”



“Elladan, what do you need me to do?” Estel asked.



“Hold his shoulders down. Halbarad, hold his legs. I'm going to get that cursed arrow out and then clean the wound. Estel, we'll need your help again when your mother gets back with the athelas.”



“Of course,” the young man said. “You might want to sit on his legs, cousin. Elves are a lot stronger than they look.”



“I can help as well,” Halboron said, hobbling over to sit opposite his son and draping his upper body over Legolas' legs.



“My thanks, this will not be pleasant,” the elder twin stated, washing the blood from the wound. He wrapped a cloth around the shaft of the arrow and gave a hard yank. Legolas' body jerked and he cried out. “It is stuck in the rib. Brother, hand me..”


“This, yes..” Elrohir said, placing the instrument into his brother's hand. Gilraen entered the building. Dirhael a step behind her.



“What happened?”


“He has an arrow lodged in his rib. Dirhael, bolt the door and come take Estel's place. Estel, prepare the athelas. We will need it. Gilraen, you know the remedy for blackroot poison, do you not?” Elladan latched the instrument around the shaft of the arrow.



“Yes, Elladan, I do. I will prepare it,” Gilraen moved to the hearth. Elladan took a deep breath and pulled on the instrument, hard. Legolas writhed, screaming.



“”Hold him! Hold...curse it! The shaft broke off.” He glanced at Elrohir. “We will have to cut to get an adequate grip on the arrowhead. And we will likely have to break the rib.”



“Then we must,” Elrohir said steadily. “I will assist you.” He laid out a clean cloth and laid several instruments out upon it. “The knife, Brother.” He handed the small blade to Elladan and blotted away the blood with clean cloths as Elladan worked.



“I see it,” the elder twin said. He clamped the first instrument onto the arrowhead. “On three. One.. two..three!” He pulled again and Legolas writhed again, screaming. “Come on, cursed thing! Ah!” He pulled the arrowhead free. “Thank the Valar! It is in one piece and I did not have to break the rib.”



“Elladan, here is the mixture.” Gilraen held a small pot.



“We will pack the wound with it, and then give him the tea,” the elder twin said, cleaning his hands again before suiting action to words. Once the wound was packed, Elladan stitched it loosely and bandaged it. He sighed, helping his brother to turn Legolas onto his side before looking around the room. “You are all sworn to secrecy about what you are about to hear. Dirhael, I imagine he told you when he arrived.”



“He did,” Dirhael confirmed. “And I'd just as soon not have make any explanations to King Thranduil if it's all the same to you.”



“Nor do we,” Elrohir said, “aside from the fact that we are very fond of this reckless young elf in his own right.”



“And aside from the fact that he is our cousin,” Elladan said, frowning at his twin. “Estel, when you call him back, you must call him by his true name. He is Legolas.” Estel nodded and breathed on the athelas before adding it to the bowl of hot water. He laid his hand on Legolas' cheek and began calling the elf back. “Our father thought it best that Legolas conceal his identity from all but those who truly needed to know. What one does not know, one cannot be made to tell. We must remember to call him Taurion still.”



“He's the king's son?” Areliel asked, her cheeks pinking. “King Thranduil's son insisted on helping me wash dirty dishes,” she said faintly. Elrohir snorted.



“Did he really?” He looked down at the prince, who was beginning to stir. “Good on you, tithen ernil.”



“Legolas, come back to us now,” Estel said, stroking back from the elf's face the hair that had come loose from his braids. “Come back now.” Legolas drew a deep breath, which caught as his wounds were shifted and he groaned, trying to curl into a fetal position.



“No, stay still, Legolas. You must stay still. “ Elrohir soothed, gently restraining him. Legolas' eyelashes fluttered and his eyes opened wide, darting from face to face around him until they landed on Elrohir and the tension seeped out of the elf's body.



“Elrohir? What...?”



“Lie still. You were struck by an arrow. You will be ill for some time yet.”



“”Poison?”



“Yes, cousin. Blackroot.”



“Elrohir?”



“Yes, cousin?”



“Kill those thrice damned orcs twice for me.” He swallowed thickly. “And twice more for Durion.” Elrohir grinned ferally at him.



“Always, cousin.”



“Elrohir?”



“Yes, pen neth?”



“Move. Going to vomit.” Elrohir rolled him forward to the edge of the table while Estel swiftly grabbed a large basin and held it under the beleaguered elf's head. Areliel gathered Legolas' hair away from his face and held it while he retched. When he was done, Estel set the basin aside and wiped his mouth, offering a swig of water so he could rinse and then holding the basin again so he could spit. Elrohir eased him back onto his side and Legolas muttered something that made the younger twin laugh.



“Watch your language, pen neth. There are ladies present.”



“Never you mind, Taurion. Both Gilraen and I have heard worse,” Areliel said, smoothing his hair.



“Indeed we have,” Gilraen confirmed, shooting a pointed glance at her father. “Let's see if we can get some of this tea into you. If you can manage to keep it down, you will start to feel better.”







TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List