Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter

Chapter 25

I’m not broken..

Don’t try to fix me

I’m not broken...

(Hello by Evanescence)

*~*~*

Three days had passed since he had been allowed back in his room, but he was starting to regret it. He was under constant watch, be it from his friends or family.

What he hated most was the fact that they practically refused for him to do anything except read a book or draw. He was not allowed anything sharp and even had his meal already cut for him, so he would only need a knife... And if he did need a knife the person by his bed would easily grasp *their* knife and cut if for him.

It was very frustrating for the prince who was forced to take with good manners. As Lomion had stated, “‘You’re not a child, so stop acting like one.’”

He sighed, drawing the glance of his newest ‘sitter’, Haldir.

Legolas didn’t know why they had put the arrogant elf on watch over him, but had accepted it.

“Bored?” Haldir asked calmly.

He received a glare for his troubles.

“No I’m not.” Legolas snarled back sarcastically. “I’m perfectly happy, can’t you tell?”

“You know you’re an awfully lot like Lomion.” Haldir replied smoothly, ignoring the prince’s glare.

“Very stubborn, willful...” Haldir commented.

“Ok, ok.” Legolas sighed, throwing an arm over his eyes. “I get the point.” After a moment of silence he removed his arm and looked at the March warden again.

“How do you know Lomion?” He questioned curiously.

Haldir chuckled. “Lomion and I were the best of friends.” He reminisced. “Before your grandfather decided to move away from Lothlorien and settle further north, we literally grew up together. I was the son of a noble March warden while he was the son of the Prince.” He smiled. “We hunted together, shared food we did everything together.”

“Then grandfather moved?” Legolas asked quietly.

Haldir nodded grimly. “We stayed in touch for a long while, he sent his condolences when my parents were killed and I sent my congratulations for when he was married. I was unable to attend but I sent them that picture that hangs over their fireplace.”

“The one with the meadow scene?” Legolas queried.

Haldir nodded. “My little brother, Rumil painted it.” He shrugged. “I supplied the frame, but it was Rumil who did all the work.”

“You have a brother?” Legolas pressed.

“Two actually.” Haldir smiled. “Orophin and Rumil.”

“Are they also March wardens?”

“Nay.” Haldir sighed. “Rumil wishes to be, but he has yet to be fully trained as one. Orophin could be, but he stays as my second in command. And indeed while I am away he is in charge of all the patrols and whatnot.”

Legolas cocked his head to the side. “Perhaps he wishes to be a March warden, but doesn’t know how you would react.” He said thoughtfully.

“What do you mean?” Haldir questioned curiously.

“You said he is content being your second in command, perhaps he is content because you wish him to be content.”

“I don’t understand.” Haldir shook his head.

“I bet Orophin would like to be a full March warden, but isn’t doing anything about it because he feels like you don’t want him to be a March warden.” Legolas stated quietly.

“And why wouldn’t I want him to be a full March warden?” Haldir protested.

“He’s safer under your care isn’t he?” Legolas pressed. “He’s not alone most of the time and if ever he is in danger you are always there to save him.”

Haldir leaned back in his chair, startled at the words and the revelation.

“He’s suffocating.” Legolas whispered. “He wants to do something different, but feels that if he would press the issue you would turn him away.”

“How would you know?” Haldir asked, shaken.

Legolas sighed. “I’m the youngest child in a family of six.” He gave the Lothlorien elf a world-weary glance. “And it doesn’t help that I almost died several times when I was little, so my entire family still thinks I’m made out of a fragile glass that will shatter when poked.”

Haldir gave a faint grin. “Orophin almost died when he was about five, he almost drowned then he had pneumonia that almost killed him as well.”

“See.” Legolas stated not unkindly. “You think you are protecting him, when in all facts you are suffocating him.” He gave another shrug. “Think about it Haldir. I have three older brother, a crown prince, a second in command and a first in command of the horses.” He gave the other blonde elf a level stare. “How do you think I feel?”

Haldir gave a low chuckle. “I stand corrected.” He smiled. “Thank you.” He said simply.

Legolas sighed. “Now if I could only get my brothers to get the same lecture.”

Haldir laughed.

*~*~*

“Adar? This is Arielle. We have decided that we want to bond.”

“No.” A sigh of frustration filled the room.

“Adar, this is Arielle. She lives in one of the flets near here. Her parents are going to the Valinor soon and we thought.....”

“No. That wouldn’t work either.”

“Adar. May I present you to Arielle? She has consented to be my wife.”

“She has?” Another voice filled the small room.

Tasari whirled around to see his Adar and two older brothers standing, smirking in the doorway. He felt his face flush.

“Oh don’t worry Tasari.” Thalion drawled. “Arielle’s parents have already talked to Adar about you.”

“Thalion.” Thranduil shook his head.

Lomion chuckled. “It seems like everyone wants to get married.” He smiled. “First Lothgil then you.”

“That’s not everyone.” Tasari protested lightly.

“No.” Lomion agreed. “But it certainly is more than usual.” He clasped the younger elf’s shoulders. “Congratulations.”

Tasari blushed lightly. “Thanks.”

“There you all are.” A female voice commented lightly from the doorway.

The males turned to see Lainiel and Miriwen with Arielle in the middle. Each of the two married elleth’s had an arm around the younger. Arielle had a pretty blush on her face.

“Arielle.” Thranduil quietly strode over. He lifted her hands up. “I’m a happy to welcome you to the family.” He greeted her with a gentle kiss upon her smooth cheek.

Arielle blushed a deeper red. “Thank you.” She replied quietly. On an impulse she quickly grabbed his hands and stepping up on tiptoes she placed a kiss upon his cheek.

Thranduil laughed, a little amazed at the little maid’s audacity and more than a little pleased at her response.

Tasari quickly came up. “What did your parents say about the ceremony?” He questioned.

“They wish for us to wait for at least until tomorrow Tas.” Arielle teased lightly placing another of her kisses upon his cheek as well.

“Tomorrow is perfect for me.” Tasari grinned back impishly.

“Nay!” Lainiel and Miriwen cried out simultaneously.

“There is the feast to prepare, the guests to invite, the rooms to get cleaned.” Miriwen ticked her fingers off counting the list of all the things that would need to get done.

Thalion and Lomion shared a grin watching Tasari’s face get paler and paler with each item mentioned. Arielle was trying to look pleased, but the males could easily tell that she wasn’t looking at all to the upcoming wedding.

Thranduil carefully leaned so his three sons could hear him, but the ladies could not. “Perhaps we can get Legolas in on this.” He said softly, with a twinkle in his eye.

The three Thranduillion’s were taken aback. They had never seen such an...an innocently guilty look in their entire lives. But then again, Legolas wouldn’t have gotten that same look from a rock.

Sharing grins the three younger males nodded and each suddenly had things they needed to do and quietly excused themselves.

Preoccupied, the two married females didn’t notice the devilish light in their eyes.... But Arielle did, and she returned the bold wink from Tasari, just hoping that she wouldn’t have to go through all the details that Miriwen was still listing.

*~*~*

Meldon quickly looked up making sure no one was around then quietly knocked once then twice.

“Enter.” Legolas voice called out softer than usual.

Meldon had snuck in several times and they had worked out a sort of code to know each other. Why, Legolas still had no answers because just when the other elf was going to tell him something happened or someone interrupted.

“Tell me.” Legolas demanded.

“Ok. You want to walk right?” Meldon whispered.

“Yes.” Legolas sighed.

“So let’s play a joke instead.” Meldon snickered.

“What?” For a single instant, Legolas thought that Meldon had truly lost his mind.

“Come on, think about it. Now is the perfect time to play a joke. No one would even think twice about you.”

“What about you?” Legolas shot back.

“No one has seen me around you.” Meldon stated a fiery glare directed toward his friend. “Not your ranger friends, the twins, Haldir, your siblings, your father no one.”

“Well.” Legolas hesitated. “What did you in mind?”

And so the pieces of the game were set.

*~*~* The next day – early morning *~*~ *

As the family members slowly trickled in for breakfast, they soon noticed that everyone was there.

Thranduil, Lomion, Lainiel, Thalion, Miriwen, Tasari, Lothgil, Aragorn, Halbarad, Haldir, Elladan and Elrohir.

Everyone.

So who was watching Legolas?

Quickly abandoning the hot food they all, fearing the worst quickly ran to Legolas’ bedroom.

*~*~*

“Hurry!” Legolas hissed, his hand quickly catching the door and pulling it shut behind him, just as he heard the whispers of feet on the rock corridors.

They held their breaths.

Then slowly sighed as everyone rushed past.

They quickly went along the dark passage, usually used for supplies and peering out another door found themselves just one room away from the dining hall. Meldon making sure no one was around, quickly found the quickest route and then jogging back, half carried and half dragged the grinned prince into a chair and quickly proceeded to serve themselves various foods.

They could hear the mild panic at the disappearance of the youngest prince and they grinned happily at their success.

Legolas had just grabbed an apple and was munching contentedly away at it, when the doors burst open revealing the entire Royal family and the guests.

“Good morning Ada.” Legolas said cheerfully around a mouthful of apple. “How are you this fine morning?”

The elves and two men stopped and stared almost in an incredulous manner, at the totally unfazed the prince and his friend.

Instead, Legolas quickly cut the rest of his apple into small bite sized pieces and liberally poured honey all over it.

Thranduil sighed.

The rest of the males groaned at the prank that had been played upon them so easily, while the females rolled their eyes.

“Legolas.” Thranduil started, then changed his questioning. “How did you get here?”

“Meldon.” Legolas shrugged carelessly.

“And how does your leg feel after you’ve no doubted-ly been dragged around?” Thranduil questioned, seating himself.

“Feels just fine.” Legolas said spearing an apple piece with a little more force than necessary.

“This is obviously a joke that you thought would be funny.” Thranduil stated.

“Yes.” Legolas stabbed another piece of apple. “It was actually very funny and I am very happy to get out of bed and actually be up and around.”

The others slowly sat down, each quietly as possible.

“Don’t be so hard on him Ada.” Tasari spoke up in defense. “It was just a joke.”

“A joke that had us all worried.” Thranduil shot back.

“Why?” Legolas asked sharply. “Do you think I’m going to kill myself? That I would be so cowardly?”

“Legolas...” Thalion began.

“No!” Legolas interrupted with a slash of his hand. “I want to know if you truly think that I would commit suicide.”

Everyone flinched at the word.

When no one answered, when no one met his gaze, Legolas pushed himself back. “Meldon, help me back to my room?” He requested.

It was utter silence as Meldon helped Legolas stand and together they slowly made their way to the door.

At the door Legolas stopped and with help turned. “Don’t fix something that’s not broken.” He said, then turned again and left.

Thranduil sighed. How could he have ever thought his son to be so weak?

He pushed back his chair, intending to go to Legolas and apologize.

“Sire?” A quiet call from the other set of doors stopped him.

“There are several petitioners who are already at the throne room.”

The king sighed, glanced longingly at the doors that his youngest son went through, then making a decision hurried towards the servant. He would apologize later.

*~*~*

“Meldon?” Legolas sighed.

“Yes?” The other elf answered quietly.

“Can you help me outside?” Legolas asked.

“Why?” Meldon questioned.

“I feel like I’m suffocating in here.” The elven prince sighed again, dragging his leg behind him. “I haven’t been outside in ages.”

“Ages I’m sure.” Meldon teased, but changed their course to the outer doors that would lead them to the small area that was shielded from the wind.

They made their way in silence. No one stopped them, but word quickly reached back into the palace to where the family was.

When the two friends finally stood outside, each took a deep breath of the cold biting air. The snows had come quickly, the whiteness on the ground making the world eerily still and calm. But Legolas could sense a sad undertone underneath it all.

It was if the trees were mourning, crying out for something, someone.

Closing his eyes, Legolas listened to the cry of the trees. Then suddenly began to laugh.

The trees were mourning for him.

Him!

Legolas Thranduillion.

Meldon raised an eyebrow.

“They think I’m dead.” Legolas laughed.

“Well aren’t you going to tell them otherwise?” Meldon asked dryly. “Before they fall asleep for the winter?”

Legolas laughed again, the lifted his voice in song, letting his beloved trees know that he was alive, and while not so well, on the mend.

Instantly the trees changed their sad lament to a joyous song of happiness.

“See?” Legolas asked suddenly his voice a little choked. “I’m not dead and I am not broken.”

Meldon hugged his friend tighter.

“I’m sorry Meldon.” Legolas whispered suddenly.

“Whatever for?” Meldon asked startled.

“Adoril.” The name summed up everything. The pain, the sorrow, the hurt, the tears and finally the release.

Meldon shrugged. “You know I once asked him what the best way to die would be.”

“Why would you ask that?” Legolas asked shifting his weight. His leg was starting to bother him, but nothing to worry him too much.

“It was after one of the warriors died protecting his family. Remember? He was at the settlements.”

Legolas nodded. He could easily recall that certain death. It had been one of Lomion’s closer friends and Lomion still grieved for his friend.

“Anyway, I asked him and he said ‘I think the best way to die, if there is such a way, would be to protect the ones you loved best and make sure they had a future, even if you didn’t.’” Meldon smiled. “And he did just that.” He sighed, the grief was still fresh, but the memory was a good one. Adoril died to protect his king, knowing that it was actually you he was protecting.”

“What you do mean?” Legolas brow furrowed.

“If your Ada would have been slain, you would have died as well.” Meldon said quietly. “Everyone knows that you and your Ada are especially close.” Meldon searched the blue-gray eyes calmly. “If Thranduil died, Legolas would die. Everyone knows that.”

Legolas said nothing, knowing it was true yet not finding the words to say anything.

“Everyone knows why you two are close.” Meldon said quietly.

“You make it sound like we are married or something.” Legolas chuckled lightly, trying to ease the serious moment.

Meldon smiled. “You are closer than most father’s and son’s are.” He stated. “You hold his heart by a single thread, as does all of your siblings. But you are especially close him.”

“What are you trying to get at?” Legolas asked helplessly.

“When you hurt, he hurts.” Meldon said simply. “When you cry so does he. When you laugh, so does he.”

“But it is the same with all my brothers and sisters.” Legolas protested. “He doesn’t treat any of us any different.”

“But it is different with you.” Meldon laughed. “Don’t you see? Because the queen left, it was up to Thranduil to raise you. Not the two of them together as they raised the others. You are closer to him, because your Naneth left.”

Legolas looked down. It was true he supposed. If his Nana had been there to raise him, he would be just as close to her as he was his Ada.

“What’s your point?” The prince asked abruptly.

“Don’t hurt him because he only wants to protect you.” Meldon shot back. “Don’t push him away when you need him the most.”

Legolas smiled. “And what makes you think I’d do that?”

“You’re here away from your family aren’t you? You’re pushing yourself away, wither you know it or not.”

Realization dawned on the fair face. Hurt blossomed in his chest at the understanding that walking away as he had, had probably shut several doors previously opened.

Moving his crippled leg he tested it experimentally. It was surprising how much his leg had healed in just a few short days. Carefully moving his weight back to himself, he slowly stood for the first time in a couple of weeks. Alone.

He turned to Meldon. “Help me.” He requested.

With a grin, Meldon nodded.

*~*~*~*

Hey, Hey! Look who’s posting early?......

Am half afraid to say this... But..... I think the end is in sight:-( Possibly one more chapter than acknowledgements and perhaps and epilogue and perhaps an extended scene?

Lol.... Can you tell I don’t want to stop?





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List