Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter

Chapter 26

A Walk To Remember

“I dare you to move
I dare you to move
I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Like today never happened
Today never happened before”

(Dare you to Move – written and sung by Switchfoot – A Walk To Remember soundtrack)

*~*~*

‘Sometimes life gives you gifts that you never wanted until the moment was upon you and then you knew exactly why the gift had been given.’

The words from Mithrandir in an age-old saying suddenly surfaced into the mind of the young prince. The gray old wizard had given him a smile, a hard candy and then had left to talk to his Adar.

He had never really thought of the saying before now, but now thinking upon them... Legolas realized that Mithrandir was right... once again....

Legolas knew that he had his entire family wrapped around his little pinky, and if ever he truly wanted something, all he had to do was to ask and usually, nine times out of ten, it was given to him.

But not this time.

He had not asked for the pain, suffering and agony inflicted upon him... But he realized now that what had happened to him had also given him a rare chance to ultimately prove himself as who he truly wanted to be.

Legolas: a selfish prince who got whatever he wanted, or Legolas: a warrior who fought his hardest to win the approval of everyone including his family.

This was his chance to prove himself to be who he wanted to be.... Legolas the warrior: who also happened to be a prince, not the other way around.

“Legolas?” Meldon’s voice broke through his thoughts.

“Yes?”

‘Are you ready?” The other warrior’s voice was calm.

“As ready as ever I guess.” Legolas shrugged.

Meldon had been helping him walk around his room several times, each time standing at his elbow in case he weakened and stumbled. It had been a trying time for the proud prince, but he suffered in silence and allowed Meldon to help him.

No one had yet come knocking upon his door.

Legolas felt guilt creep upon him. In saying the harsh words to his Adar, he had also sent the message to everyone else present. Unintentionally, but still sent the message.

The prince sighed and limped back to the other corner. While his leg was quite sore and aching, it felt good to actually be up and around.

A slender hand caught in the still short hair. It was growing rapidly and hung in his eyes when he looked down, but still. He hated looking in the mirror at his hair; how he wished that stupid Tourec had left his hair alone. He still had no clue why the Easterling had felt the need to cut it.

“Still bothering you?” Meldon asked quietly.

There were times when Legolas wished he wasn’t an elf or that his entire life was centered around elves.... Then they couldn’t read his emotions or anything else for that matter... He smiled suddenly thinking on Aragorn and Halbarad. He was sure that the two rangers wouldn’t have appreciated that thought.

A sudden knock at the door broke the prince from his thoughts. He exchanged puzzled glances with Meldon. They had been undisturbed since breakfast, several hours ago.

“Enter.” Legolas called out, quickly sitting on the bed covering his legs up with the blanket. He did not, for some reason want anyone else to know that he could walk by himself.

The door slowly opened revealing a smiling ranger. “Really?” Aragorn teased, fully expecting a comeback and was surprised by a sigh instead.

“Yes really, you can come in.”

Aragorn frowned. “What’s a matter with you?” He demanded. “I thought that you would be happy after putting everyone in their place.”

Legolas frowned. “Aragorn.”

“Yes?”

“Shut up.”

Aragorn smirked.

“Meldon can you go get everyone to go in the Throne Room?” Legolas asked suddenly.

“And what do I tell them?” Meldon demanded.

“Tell them Ada wants them.”

“Lie?” Meldon asked dubiously.

“Tell them they’re needed there then.” Legolas amended. He met the other’s raised eyebrow. “Well they will be when I get there.”

Meldon rolled his eyes and sighed. “The things I do for you.”

“You don’t have to.” Legolas said immediately contrite.

Meldon shook his head and walked out the door, mumbling something about Legolas underneath his breath.

Legolas raised an eyebrow while Aragorn, who was close enough to hear chuckled.

“So tell me what you are you doing here?” Legolas asked quietly, fiddling with the blanket.

“I wanted to see how you were doing.” Aragorn shrugged seating himself. “And I wanted to apologize.”

“For what?” Legolas asked startled.

“You were right to call us up like that.” Aragorn explained himself. “We were all half afraid you were going to kill yourself or something.” He met the blue-gray eyes. “But in doing that, we made you weak when you are really strong.” He offered a half smile. “So I’m sorry.”

Legolas stared at him for a long while, making the ranger uncomfortable before looking away.

“Your Adar is too.” Aragorn said quietly.

“My Adar is sorry?” Legolas asked slightly confused.

“Yes.” Aragorn replied simply.

“Oh.”

There were a few moments of quiet reflection.

“I didn’t realize that everyone thought I would commit suicide otherwise I would have told you guys to knock it off.” Legolas grinned.

Aragorn laughed.

The elf reached over and knocking twice on the panel of the bed and a small drawer shot out. Grinning at the ranger, the prince reached in and pulled out three knives, each one of varying size and width.

Aragorn frowned curious as to what else was in that small drawer.

“Some more knives.” Legolas said bored, easily reading his friend’s thoughts.

Aragorn grinned. “So how many knives do you have in your room?”

Legolas grinned back. “Last time I counted there was about twenty scattered around.” He gestured carelessly around his room.

There was a playful glint in his blue-gray eyes. “But then again, that was twenty years ago, I think I’ve acquired some more since then.”

“Don’t you ever get sick of sharpening them?” The ranger asked shaking his head.

Legolas snorted. “They are of elven make, therefore you of all Edain, should know they don’t need to be sharpened unless they are purposely dulled.”

Aragorn shrugged. “True.” He sobered. “What are you planning to do?” He questioned neutrally.

Legolas stared at him. “What makes you think I am planning to do anything?”

“Legolas.” Aragorn stated. “You’re like my brother, in fact you are my brother, my blood brother. Remember?”

Legolas winced. “How could I forget?” He sighed dramatically.

Aragorn glared at him. “Rude!”

Just ‘cause he could and he knew that Aragorn wouldn’t react like he usually would, the prince stuck his tongue out at him.

The ranger immediately swept a hand out to smack the prince across the head when his hand froze and he looked at the still pale, weak prince. He looked into the blue-gray eyes and suddenly wished he didn’t.

He knew, without a single doubt that Legolas was planning something.

Something that he wanted absolutely no part of.

He shook his head and sat back. “No.”

“Come on Estel.” Legolas pleaded.

Aragorn winced. He hated when Legolas did that. “No?”

“Yes.” Legolas nodded, a grin plastered all over his face.

Aragorn groaned. “I hate when you do that.” He stated resigned to his fate.

Legolas only laughed.

The door opened. “Alright.” Meldon said grinning. “Everyone is headed towards the throne room.” Ignoring Aragorn, the elf quickly picked out the prince’s formal robes and laid them out.

Aragorn frowned in sudden understanding. “You can’t walk!” He protested.

Legolas merely looked up then with a graceful move, stood up on his own two feet. “I can’t?” Was all he said as Meldon helped him into his formal robes and carefully buttoned the back up. The collar, as it always was, was stiff and tight against his throat.

The smaller crown was carefully placed on his unbraided hair then attached to a few strands to hold it there.

“What are you going to do exactly?” Aragorn questioned.

“Go apologize.” Legolas said matter of fact. “Wanna come?”

Aragorn sighed, rubbing his forehead. Why had he decided to apologize now? Why couldn’t he have waited a few more hours?

“What do you want me to do?” He asked resignedly.

Legolas look up from smoothing his robe. “Just be there?” He asked, his eyes quietly pleading, hoping his friend would agree.

He knew that he would need all the both emotional and physical support that both his friends could provide.

Aragorn smiled and clasped the prince’s shoulder. “Of course Nin Mellon.” His gray eyes met the blue-gray ones reassuringly.

Making sure everything was in place, Meldon stepped back. He knew, perhaps with clearer certainty what Legolas was about to do. He knew that with Legolas taking this step in humility, there would be a change in the prince.

There was pride in his eyes.’ Legolas thought wonderingly. ‘Why is he proud of me?’

With a nod of final approval, Meldon swung the door open and the three friends slowly made their way out the door and then down the corridor. They ignored the murmurs of the elves in the corridor. Many had heard the rumor that Legolas would be a cripple for the rest of his life and to see him walking, unaided well... It was a surprise nonetheless.

Though his hair was extremely short, it somehow seemed to add to the dignity and the new level of maturity in the young prince’s eyes. He had a slight limp, but it was nothing that time wouldn’t heal, hopefully anyways.

With a determination in his step, and a pride in his still shoulders and back, Legolas walked forward, each step taking him closer to his family.

*~*~*

Thranduil glanced curiously at his children silently gathered around. They had filed in, in ones and twos, but knowing that their Ada and king was in session, they didn’t interrupt, but stood calmly waiting for their turn.

For what, Thranduil had no idea. He had no idea why there were there, and looking forward to hearing the reasons why.

The guard cleared his throat and Thranduil brought his attention to the present.

“Prince Legolas requests an audience.” The guard said formally, sending a buzz throughout the throne room, making the royal family glance at each other.

Thranduil carefully hid a smile. ‘The little imp, always the one to do things the hard way.’ He thought rather ruefully. Knowing that his youngest happened to get that certain trait from the king himself.

Thranduil nodded. “Send him in.” He exchanged amused glances with his eldest.

Then sat up in a startled shock as Legolas calmly walked through.

‘The little imp.’ Was all the king could think. He watched startled as his son walked forward with Meldon and Aragorn on each side and then dropped to his knees in a manner used only in asking forgiveness, pardon or mercy.

The court hushed as the clear words came from the lips of their youngest prince.

“I wish to make my report about the failure of my patrol.” Legolas said quietly, but the words rang throughout the court. “And I also wish to accept any punishment deemed fit for the failure.”

The courts buzzed at the words.

Thranduil sat back in slight shock. Of all the things he hadn’t thought of that one.

Legolas carefully kept his gaze downward, awaiting his king’s reply.

Thranduil exchanged quick startled glances with his two sons. “Clear the court.” He said quietly gesturing to the guards. It wasn’t a rare occasion that the king would clear the court, but everyone turned to look at the still kneeling prince and each wished they could stay and listen, but knowing Thranduil tolerated no eavesdropping, intentional or not in his court they quietly cleared out.

“Tend to me.” Thranduil said, after the last elf, not a guard or family had filed out.

Legolas carefully raised his eyes to meet those of his Adar’s and king’s.

Thranduil studied him for a long moment, then quietly told Lainiel, Miriwen and Lothgil to wait just outside the doors until called. The three women exchanged quick glances knowing that their men were going to talk about something they did not want the Elleth’s to know.

After the three Elleth’s left, Thranduil told a guard to fetch Haldir and the twins. He knew that Haldir would need to hear a portion of it as well as the twins. Events were happening too quickly for the king’s liking, but it would be helpful not to have to explain things so many times and make Legolas suffer all the more.

Waiting quietly for the three warriors to come, Thranduil took in the sight of his youngest. Many times Legolas had been on his knees asking for forgiveness, but it was rare indeed for him to come asking for a punishment. And... Thranduil had the perfect one picked out for him... One that would not only help him in the long run, but would also help the kingdom.

Killian, their mapmaker had just requested an aide for a few months to help him remake several maps. It would help Legolas learn patience, keep him out of trouble, make him learn not only Mirkwood, but the surrounding areas as well, and it would also help Killian. And on top of it all, it wouldn’t hurt Legolas at all to learn a new trade.

The doors opened revealing three puzzled looking elves, two dark haired ones and one blonde haired one. They gave Thranduil puzzled glances then turned toward the still kneeling prince, with open curiosity.

“No doubt your leg is bothering you.” Thranduil said without preamble. He motioned for Legolas to stand.

They all watched, each poised to help him, but Legolas slowly, carefully stood to his feet.

“I have summoned you three here, because I feel it is important that you hear Legolas’ report.” Thranduil said calmly. “There are several details that I feel you all need to know.” He motioned once again, this time gesturing for his son to speak.

With a clear concise voice, the prince reported, from the first day they had left to the day they had all gotten back. Many times his voice wavered, and a few times his voice broke when his tale became too hard for him. The rest of them sat in silence, not interrupting or commenting.

Once his report was done, there was utter silence in the throne room. Elladan, Elrohir, Aragorn, Haldir and Tasari had not heard the full tale until now and each one stared compassionately at the prince, who kept his gaze on the floor.

‘Now they all knew why Adar and Galion had a suicide watch on him.’ Legolas thought miserably. He hated that his Adar had summoned his best friends to hear him speak. He hated telling them of his weakness, his shame... But as his Adar had said, it was something that the other two prominent elven kingdoms needed to know. And they unknowingly sent representatives of Lothlorien, Rivendell and the Dunadain.

The blue-gray eyes lifted sorrowfully, to met the blue-gray eyes so like his own. Telling the story had taken a lot out of him, emotionally more than physically, but the physical strain tore down his strength rapidly, leaving him weaving on his feet.

Legolas gave him a slight, weary smile. In the time it had taken him to report, his leg had gone from slightly aching to a slow burning ache to slight shift would equal bone numbing pain.

He tried to mask his pain, but he knew that his Adar could easily sense it and was rather surprised that his Adar hadn’t ordered him to either sit down or had sent for Galion.

He carefully wiped a stray tear from his cheek, then looked up at his Adar and brothers. He was surprised when his Adar suddenly stood and stepped down from the throne and then Legolas crumpled into his arms. Trying his best not to cry, yet not succeeding. Tears slipped down his cheeks at their own free will.

The pain of the last few weeks rose upon him like a wave upon the ocean, and crashed upon him. He had not truly let his pain, his sorrow, and his shame free... Within the depths of his heart, he had kept it, wanting, needing the pain to try and make up for the death of Adoril.

“I’m sorry Ada.” He sobbed, not caring about anyone else. “I’m sorry.”

‘His path was a hard one.' Thranduil thought, gently rocking his child in his arms. “Shhh.” He whispered. “All is forgiven.” He tenderly wiped the tears away. “All is forgiven.”

He knew that there were many things to do, paper to send to the realms, reports to make out, maps to bend over to figure out the exact locations, but for now... His son needed him, and it was a far greater need than anything else.

He waited for a few moments, then helped Legolas to his feet. Supporting him, the father and son walked to the doors.

‘Legolas would walk many paths in his life... Many hard, some easy... Many would give him valuable life lessons and others would be just because... But in all the paths that his son would take.’ Thranduil thought. ‘It would always be a walk to remember.’

THE END

*~*Epilogue*~*

Weeks passed swiftly and soon Legolas was able to walk freely on his own... It was nothing short of a miracle Galion had declared. The past often came back to haunt the young prince, but with his family by his side he was able to move past the past and into the future. His hair grew back to the full length it had been before and soon not even a trace remained of his ordeal..

Spring arrived and the pass finally opened allowing Elladan, Elrohir, Halbarad and Aragorn to return to Rivendell and Haldir to Lothlorien. Little did they know it, but events were happening that would bring them all once more together, and it would all start, with one little hobbit named Bilbo Baggins of the Shire.

Tasari and Arielle were happily married beneath a newly blossomed oak tree, much to Miriwen and Lainiel’s delight at the formal wedding. But they both missed the winks that the ‘newly’ married couple received not only from Thranduil, but also from all the males in the royal family, because Tasari and Arielle had really been married for two months already... But little did the happy couple know the sorrow that they would face together. Tasari would die in the last battle for Mirkwood’s freedom. And Arielle would soon join him after a stray arrow flew past the defenses and into her heart, not knowing that her husband had died only a few short minutes before.

Miriwen gave birth to a son whom they name Danuas and a girl whom they named Dawriel. They had light hair and sea green eyes. And took after their father in their stubbornness and pride and after their mother in their neatness and order. Both Thalion and Miriwen and their twins left the same time as Thranduil did to the Valinor.

Thorinell and Lothgil were also married, but they had a much less formal wedding. Thorinell had to leave for a few months to get his settlement prepared to go to the Valinor and when they had left he had ridden back to claim Princess Lothgil as his own. He was soon in charge of a battalion of elves, but died tragically saving the life of another. Stricken with grief, Lothgil left for the Valinor, but never made it. She died in Lothlorien, weeping for her only true love. When Thranduil heard the news that his little ‘Gil had died, he locked himself away and wept bitterly, but knew that Thorinell and Lothgil would never be parted again.

Lomion and Lainiel tried several times to have children, and finally after several years they had a son, whom they named Bregolas. They had three other children, Orophin, Deirdre and Morwen. Each lived happy lives, the boys often pretending to kill orcs and spiders like their uncles did and the girls often pretending to help cure their wounds or be kidnapped for the boys to save them. In the long peace after the end of the War of the Ring, orcs and spiders were a rare thing and many of the children would never be able to actually see one, let alone fight one, much to the relief of all.

Thranduil watched his children grow up and his grandchildren grow up... But finally he heeded the call of the sea and went to join his beloved wife. He waited for several years for all of his children to come ‘home’ and was at last rewarded when Legolas finally sailed.

Indeed their lives had all taken different paths, but every walk, was A Walk To Remember...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List