Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter

Chapter 21

Would you save my soul tonight?

*~*~*

Would you dance, if I asked you to dance?

Would you run, and never look back?

Would you cry, if you saw me crying?

And would you save my soul tonight?

(Hero by Enrique Iglesias)

*~*~*

Thalion glanced up at the sky, estimating the time that had passed since they had left Rivendell. They had ridden as fast as possible since leaving Rivendell, but not fast enough for the prince. The horses they rode were of a distant line of the famed Mearas, but since they were not the full breed, they did not have the full stamina that made the Mearas legendary.

“Thalion!” Halbarad cried out suddenly.

The prince looked over at the ranger. “What?” Thalion called back.

“We need to stop or else we will have to walk to Mirkwood!” Halbarad yelled in reply.

Though Thalion hated the thought of even stopping he knew that the ranger was right. His shoulders slumped ever so slightly, and then he nodded. “There is a overhang up ahead!” He yelled loud enough for everyone to hear. “We will stop there!”

Frustration tore at Thalion’s insides, but he knew that the stop was necessary but he still hated it. As he slid gracefully off of his horse, he suddenly wondered how bad Legolas’ condition was. Elrond had only told him a little bit leaving Thalion for the most part in the dark.

But what the prince did know that Legolas was injured worse enough to even have the elves of Lothlorien worried. But then again the elves of Lorien were of a different quality from the Mirkwood elves.

Thalion hid a smile from Haldir.

Haldir represented all that the Lorien elves were known to be, arrogant, rude and rather domineering. But once one got past all the walls erected one could easily see the genuine heart of an elf. Though Thalion knew that many elves weren’t exactly humble every elf that the prince knew had their moments.

One of the biggest differences between Lothlorien and Mirkwood was rather obvious. Lothlorien was a place of light and Mirkwood was a place of darkness threatening to take over the small light that still remained.

It had almost physically hurt Thalion to see Lothlorien in its full splendor. All he could remember was the lush green of Greenwood the Great before the shadow came back and then the forest was called Mirkwood.

It seemed as if Rivendell and Lothlorien mocked Mirkwood. Neither realm took such extreme measures as Mirkwood did. Neither realm trained their children with every single weapon known to elf, man or otherwise as Mirkwood did. Neither realm had to send out their best on patrols and wonder if they were ever going to see them again. Neither realm had so many deaths as Mirkwood did.

Thalion sighed gently rubbing his horse’s forehead whispering encouragement. Tasari was the one who had a way with animals, but he found that he still managed to get along with them, but not as Tasari would.

Thinking suddenly upon his younger brother he wondered just what Tasari was doing at the moment. Was he training more horses or was he at Legolas’ side? He didn’t know why he was thinking about Tasari, but he was, for some odd reason. Tasari had always been the quiet one. He was usually found outdoors either holding, on or beside an animal. Many of his friends teased that his bed should be in the stables because he was there so often.

Thranduil had seen his rare gift with animals and instead of tying the prince down with other matters that would have driven him crazy, the king had appointed Tasari in charge of training horses and he had done a fine job of it.

Thalion sighed. His family was a rare one. There were few families who would even think to have so many children as his family did. But Thranduil was happy with a large family.

Lomion, Loriel, Thalion, Tasari, Lothgil and Legolas.

Thalion and Tasari had always been close. The fact that their names were the only ones that began with a ‘T’ had very little to do with it. Even over the many years, the much heartache, pains, sorrows and joys of life, they had still remained closer than ever.

But then again Lomion and Lainiel were closer to each other than the others, but Lothgil and Legolas weren’t as close as their siblings were. Legolas was extremely close with Thranduil, and Lothgil had become close with Lainiel and Miriwen.

In all actuality Legolas was close with almost everyone in the kingdom not to mention Rivendell as well.

Thalion laughed lightly, ignoring the puzzled looks from the others. Legolas. He was everything and nothing. Happy and sad; aloof yet welcoming; sarcastic yet respectful; passionate yet indifferent; yes Legolas was a jumble of emotions.

The prince sighed, closing his eyes for a long moment praying that Legolas was alright...

*~*~*

The day passed quicker than one would think it would. While Thranduil and Lomion had been forced to bury themselves in documents that needed their signatures and long overdue talks, the others had found that they were also needed in various parts of the kingdom.

Tasari had been called back to the stables because of a mare that was giving birth, Miriwen had been sent to find some more herbs, Lothgil was set down with several medical books to look for various ways of treatment and Lainiel was given the charge of making sure that the four newly arrived warriors had a bed, bath and food to eat.

And before they all knew it, darkness had fallen and the kingdom was silent.

After the meal they all quietly slipped down to the healers ward to watch over the youngest prince. He had made very little movement thanks to the drugs in his system, but Galion was quick to reassure them that it was for the best.

The night was the hardest for all of them. Several times the prince showed signs of waking, but always calmed down as soon as the rest of his family started to worry. Lomion and Thranduil had fallen asleep in their chairs, while the others had assumed various positions on other chairs or on the floor.

The tension in the room seemed thick enough to cut with a knife. Each was occupied with his or her, own thoughts, each had varying memories of when Legolas was still considered a little elfling. Though he was still rather young, he refused to be considered as such, he took his responsibilities as an adult would and many knew that Legolas could often do a better job than an adult would or could.

The hard years had shaped many of the younger elves into harden warriors, each one eager to fight for their realm against terrifying the odds. Death was still a novelty, but something that every elf in Mirkwood had dealt with at some point. Wither it had been a family member, distant relative or a friend nearly everyone had lost someone they knew.

As the night quietly wore on, the royal family fell asleep one by one. Their peacefully faces belied the worry that each one felt inside.

Miriwen was the last to drop into sleep and for a while, she wondered if her children would ever be subject to such terror as their uncle was....

Galion crept into the still room, looking at each of the royal family carefully. This was something that would take its toll on the entire family, not just Legolas, Thranduil or Lomion. As he went over to the prince’s side, he quietly adjusted the blanket that covered him.

He hoped that the drug would keep the prince unconscious until the herbs arrived from Rivendell. The trick was to somehow have the one leg start healing quicker than the rest of his body, so that when his other wounds healed he would be able to have more freedom of movement.

His experienced fingers quickly probed the leg again, searching for any more bone fragments and any other cracks in the bone that he might have missed... doubtful yes, but it never hurt to check.

Satisfied he pulled back his hands then easily checked the rest of the prince’s battered body. His back had already started to heal on their hurried journey homeward, but there were still several places where the healer knew he would have to stitch closed in order to make sure they healed properly. He wasn’t too worried about scarring because after a period of time the scars would fade, leaving only memories.

Galion quietly walked to the door and motioned for an elf standing just outside the door to come in. The other elf was holding a small basin, a towel slung over his right forearm and under his other arm he carefully held a small jar of ivory colored salve.

The basin was full of a tincture of herbs to be used on the various bruises to make sure that they healed with limited soreness. The salve was for the many open wounds on the prince’s back. While the tincture was the skin, it was very painful if gotten into an open wound. The salve would not only help heal but also help seal the wounds, helping Galion out so that he would only have to sew two or three of the larger cuts.

As the sun began to rise, the royal family began to stir one by one.

Since Galion had done most of his work while they were sleeping he let them crowd around the still unconscious prince, but he knew that they would all need to freshen up and eat something. Especially Miriwen.

He cleared his throat. “Legolas is fine for now, his condition won’t change until I get the herbs.” He gave a pointed glance to the rather mussed hair on Thranduil’s head. “I would suggest you all freshen up and eat then you can come back.” He paused. “In turns.”

There were a few who were about to protest, but Thranduil knowing that the healer was right, ushered them out. “Very well Galion.” He said quietly.

“Thranduil.” Galion caught the king’s attention. “When the herbs come send them to me immediately.” His voice softened. “I will not allow anyone in the same room as I when I will be working.”

“You’re still worried Legolas might lose his leg.”

It was more of a statement than a question, but Galion nodded anyway. “I am not quite sure how to proceed at this point and right now if Elrond doesn’t have any answers.” He shrugged. “Neither do I.”

Thranduil nodded, he had tried to prepare himself for the worst, but the worst seemed to keep getting worse.

“I’m sorry.” Galion offered quietly. He could easily see Thranduil’s quiet pain and wished he could ease it, but knew that there would be nothing he could do if Legolas died to save his king.

Legolas and Thranduil were just too close. It was almost as if they were twins at time, they could almost read each other’s mind and each could easily read the other’s emotions. As Thranduil put it one time, Legolas was a younger version of him; only the prince had more of his Naneth’s features than his Adar’s.

Not that Thranduil ever minded of course.

The king nodded again then slipped out the door after his other children, casting one heart felt glance at his youngest then left.

*~*~*

Home, for Thalion, was at last in sight. They had pushed their horses hard, but their reward was at last in sight.

Thalion sighed in relief. He knew within his heart that Legolas needed him most desperately, or rather the herbs and letter he was carrying.

How his heart ached to see his wife! A slight smile lighted his dirty face up, transforming him.

The others exchanged quickly smiles as each one quickly figured out what the prince’s smile meant.

“Soon Haldir, you will meet my father!” Thalion called out rather happily. He could already picture the scene in his mind, a stubborn and arrogant border guardian against an equally stubborn and arrogant (at times) king. He knew exactly who would win that match.

Aragorn traded glances with Halbarad then eased his horse to the other ranger’s side. “Do not say anything foolish as you usually do around Thranduil. He does not trust many humans, and anything you say could easily get taken the wrong way.”

Halbarad grinned, then widened his eyes taking on an innocent look that clearly said ‘who me?’

Aragorn gave a long-suffering sigh while he rolled his eyes dramatically.

Elladan saw the exchange and grinned broadly. Just another thing to tease Aragorn about... Letting Halbarad get away with such behavior! He chuckled then turned his attention back toward the prince in the lead.

“Thalion! How soon will we get there?” He called out.

Thalion glanced around, grinned the pulled his horse up forcing the others to do likewise. Grinning easily at the confused elves and men still on their horses he turned around and whistled.

To the others it sounded remarkably like a birdcall, but to the elves in the forest it was like a beacon of light, alerting all in hearing range that Prince Thalion, Thranduillion was home... And with company.

In an instant, elves dropped down from the boughs of the trees, seven of them to be precise.

“Prince Thalion!” A tall blonde haired, green-eyed elf stepped forward and clasped wrists. “We did not expect you for at least another week.” He hesitated. “We heard reports of your death in fact.”

“Does my Ad.. I mean does the king know?” Thalion pressed, suddenly worried.

Tivione nodded soberly. “Yes, but he hasn’t really had much time to dwell upon it.” He hesitated then. “Do you know about Legolas.”

“A few details.” Thalion allowed.

Something flickered in the depths of the green eyes, then disappeared before Thalion could figure it out exactly. “Tivione?” He questioned.

The other elf shook his head. “You are doubtlessly wanting to get to the palace as soon as possible.” He turned and called for another elf. “Jiahan can tell you everything as you travel back.”

Thalion nodded.

Tivione bowed his head, then melted back into the forest.

Elrohir shook his head. “Mirkwood elves.” He muttered.

“Are not as bad as Rivendell ones.” Thalion laughed lightly at Elrohir’s startled look. “Remember son of Elrond. You are in my territory now.”

Elrohir shivered slightly, wondering why the jest sounded a little like a threat.... He quickly cleared his mind as the elf Jiahan began to speak of the youngest prince.

*~*~*

Breakfast came and went, slowly. Agonizingly slow. No one was really hungry and most of them just picked at their food, but Thranduil, Lomion and Tasari all forced themselves to eat a full meal because they knew that they would need the nutrients for the day ahead.

Tasari was due back to train in another horse while Thranduil had an audience and Lomion had many reports to read, papers to fill out and sign. Lainiel needed to oversee cleaning the palace rooms, Miriwen needed to take inventory on the herbs in the healing ward so Lothgil was the only one who could really sit with Legolas.

But she didn’t really want to. After all, Thorinell was here.

Didn’t that explain everything?

She sighed, rubbing her arms as a chill crept down her back. Unless...

She quickly sat up as the door opened revealing Miriwen.

“Miriwen!” She cried out happily. “Can you take my spot for a few minutes? Please?”

Miriwen regarded the younger elleth with an open curiosity. “May I ask why?”

“I want to go get my embroidery, Adar isn’t around so I can probably finished his gift early.” She beamed innocently.

‘A little too innocently.’ Miriwen thought. She was most likely going to try and see Thorinell but...

“Come right back.” She said mildly.

Lothgil jumped up and gave her sister in law a quick hug. “Thanks!”

Miriwen laughed as Lothgil quickly exited. Oh to be in love. She sobered and sent a prayer up to the Valar.

They still had had no word of Thalion’s patrol yet, and last they knew Thalion and his patrol were all dead....

Miriwen forcefully pushed the thought away. No Thalion wasn’t dead, he couldn’t be. She would have known. Thalion was like her right hand, and she would know if her right hand was cut off, wouldn’t she?

She sighed heavily, carefully folding some washed cloths. A small moan quickly caught her attention.

It was Legolas. He moaned again, this time shifting ever so slightly before stilling again.

Miriwen gently pressed a soft hand to his forehead. “Shhh Legolas.” She whispered. “You are safe. You are safe.”

The lines on his face soothed out.

She very gently picked up his hand and began to hum a lullaby from long ago. After a while the words came back to her and she softly began to sing.

*“Come stop your crying, it will be alight.

Just take my hand, hold it tight.

I will protect you from, all around you.

I will be here, don’t you cry.” *

She smiled as Legolas calmed down even more.

*“Cause you’ll be in my heart.

Yes you’ll be in my heart.

From this day on, now and forever more.” *

She gently kissed his forehead, then stood and quietly finished folding the cloths, waiting for Lothgil to get back and thinking about Legolas.

Each family member had their own ‘title’ of sorts. Thranduil was the leader, Lomion the protector, Lainiel the comforter, Thalion the warrior, Miriwen the healer, Tasari the bodyguard, Lothgil the peacekeeper and Legolas... Legolas was the heart of the entire family.

He was the thin thread that held together the entire family.

She smiled gently at him, then as she finished folding all the cloths she turned and looked curiously at the door, wondering if Lothgil was ever going to appear again...

*~*~*

‘She tasted of wild honey....’ Thorinell thought as his tongue teasingly dancing with hers.

They were currently in an empty corridor, with Thorinell wrapping his arms around her and her arms reaching up and over his neck.

In Lothgil’s hand she held her embroidery, but paid no attention to it. Keeping a light hold to it to prevent it from falling.

A chuckle broke them apart.

Tasari laughed outright at the blush staining his sister’s cheek and the blush also staining Thorinell’s cheeks. “Be glad it’s me not Adar.” He teased.

Lothgil threw a glare at him. “Tasari shut up and go away. Can’t you see I’m busy?”

“Oh I would.” Tasari readily agreed. “But I just saw Adar and he is on his way to see Legolas and aren’t you supposed to be with him? And not.” He coughed, hiding his grin. “Kissing Thorinell?”

Lothgil narrowed her eyes, then strode over and very casually as she walked by, smacked her older brother across the head and continued onward.

“Are you sure you still want her?” Tasari asked ruefully, rubbing his head.

“I heard that!” Lothgil yelled.

The two elves looked at each other and then burst out laughing.

“I am glad to see that you two are getting along well.” Lomion’s droll voice brought both elves up.

“Of course Lomion!” Tasari returned brightly, winking conspiratorially at Thorinell. “Thorinell is a good guy, you just have to look past the fact that he wants to marry Lothgil and then you will see all of his good qualities.”

Lomion laughed. “Indeed.”

“Yes.” Tasari grinned. He was in a very jovial mood today. Though he was worried about Legolas he had just successfully trained his very first horse exactly how he wanted to. A warrior could easily shoot arrows from the horse’s back, or any weapon for that matter... He could also guide the horse using only his knees.

He had tried training the horses in the same manner before, but this was the very first time that he had finally figured out exactly what commands to say for the horse to learn and respond. In a word, he was pleased.

“Have you heard anything from the borders yet?” Tasari pulled his thoughts forward.

Lomion grinned. “Thalion is on his way here with, get this, Estel, another Edain, Elladan, Elrohir and...” He paused theatrically. “Haldir.”

“Haldir?” Tasari groaned. “The arrogant little...”

“Tas...” Lomion threatened lightly. His heart was too happy for anything somber at the moment. “Do you know where Adar is? I need to tell him that Thalion and company should be here in an hour or so.”

“He’s checking in on Legolas. I’ll go let Lainiel know so she can see that some more rooms are prepared.” Tasari replied.

Lomion nodded and stepped away, leaving Thorinell and Tasari together.

Tasari raised an eyebrow at Thorinell who looked back curiously.

“Tell me Thorinell.” Tasari gestured for the other elf to accompany him. “How many orcs have you killed? Or for that matter spiders and wargs?”

“Why?” Thorinell risked the question.

“Cause Thalion will only be looking at how many things you’ve killed and your fine upstanding position as a leader.” The prince replied cheekily.

Thorinell laughed. For all the bumps, and threats so far that he had received he knew he was going to like his new in-laws.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List