Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter

Chapter 22

Grace like Rain

Hallelujah, grace like rain falls down on me

Hallelujah, all my stains are washed away, washed away

(Grace like Rain by Todd Agnew)

*~*~*

As they clattered across the bridge, Thalion could see Lomion waiting for him on the steps into the cavern, a smile lighting his face in welcome and part relief.

As they all slid off their horses, Lomion quickly moved past them to greet his little brother in a warrior’s clasp. “Welcome home little brother.” Lomion grinned.

“”It is good to be back.” Thalion replied returning his brother’s grin.

“You look awfully well for one supposedly dead.” Lomion teased lightly, pricking his brother’s curiosity.

Thalion stopped short. “Dead?” He repeated incredulously.

“Aye.” Lomion clasped his back. “But it’s good that you are back and with company I see.” He appraised the others. “It would seem that you have traveled all over to acquire your companions.” He said looking at the two humans, two dark haired elves and one arrogant looking blonde haired elf that Lomion knew very well.

“I see you picked up a couple of strays.” He taunted lightly, loud enough for Haldir and the twins to hear.

“As pleasant as ever, I see Lomion.” Haldir returned.

“That’s Prince Lomion to you rascal.” Lomion retorted, a strange glint in his eyes.

“You have plenty of others who will kiss your ...” Haldir started.

A horse whinnied.

“So why should I?” Haldir smirked, oblivious to the gasps coming from Aragorn and the twins.

Lomion gave him a feral smile, on that reminded Aragorn of a warg about to leap on his prey...

“Because Mellon Nin.” Lomion said softly. “You’re in *my* realm now.”

Haldir returned the smile with an arrogant sniff. “Just make sure to stay upwind from me.” He taunted. Then he broke out in a grin clasped Lomion’s outstretched arm. “It is good to you again Lomion.” He said affectionately. “It has been too long, even for elves.”

Lomion nodded. “Come, Adar is looking to see how you have grown and hopefully.” He grinned. “Matured a little.”

Haldir gave a mock cry of outrage, but said nothing. Instead allowing Lomion to lead them into the cavern.

It was well lit, but there still was a rather eerie quality of being in a cave than unsettled the Lothlorien elf. He had only been in a cave once before and he could remember all too clearly the shadows dancing eerily along the walls. Fortunately there wasn’t the ever present ‘drip drip’ of water everywhere.

His attention diverted when a door quietly opened and shut revealing a blonde haired figure.

“Adar.” Lomion caught the king’s attention.

Thranduil looked upon the group with a raised eyebrow. Elladan, Elrohir, Estel, a human, Haldir and... His breath caught.

Thalion.

He reached out and grasped his son’s outstretched hand in a tight warrior’s clasp and unable to help himself he drew him into a quick, but tight embrace.

“Welcome home Nin ion.” Thranduil whispered.

Thalion smiled. “Ada, I have missed you.”

“But not as much as you missed Miriwen.” Halbarad quipped.

Thalion threw a glare of his shoulder. “Hush human.”

Aragorn laid a restraining hand upon the other human’s arm.

“Adar..” Thalion coughed. “King Thranduil, this is Halbarad of the Dunedain. He is the second in command under Aragorn.”

Thranduil drew himself up imperially. “Why is he here?” He demanded.

“He wanted to see how Legolas is.” Haldir stepped forward and bowed low. “King Thranduil.”

“Haldir.”

The exchanged reminded Aragorn of a cat playing with a mouse before pouncing upon it and eating it.

“I see you have finally decided that your skills as an archer were enough to be offered the position as a guardian.” Thranduil walked around Haldir, his hands clasped behind his back. “But I also see that you have yet to give up your wanting to be a healer.” He poked at the bag on Haldir’s back.

‘A healer?’ Lomion mouthed mockingly, a teasing glint in his eye.

“No milord.” Haldir replied smoothly. “Lady Galadriel had some of the healers in Lothlorien gather some herbs that are not around here and could be usefully to Prince Legolas.”

“Oh Ada.” Thalion pulled a bag off his own back. “Lord Elrond requested me to give this to Galion.”

Immediately Thranduil’s face lit up. He snatched the bag from Thalion and quickly turned and went back inside the room.

Lomion grinned happily. “Come, I want to see what Galion has to say before you can all take baths.” He paused. “You especially Haldir, smell like a horse.”

*~*~*

Galion quickly rummaged through the pack, looking at the accompanying list. He pulled out several herbs and called for water and bandages as well as the tools for surgery.

His face, hopefully, his movements, sure, he knew what had to be done now and ordering everyone out of the room, he locked the door, quickly washed and with a set face... Very carefully began to lower his knife to the bared skin...

*~*~*

“Well..” Lainiel gave a half smile. “I guess I will show you to your rooms.” She motioned for the twins, the humans and the Lothlorien elf to follow her.

“Thalion!” She called back.

“Yes?”

“Take a bath before you find Miriwen.” Lainiel said dryly, ignoring the looks of amusement from the males around her.

They walked in silence down some corridors, and then turned down another corridor and then another one and then rather suddenly Lainiel stopped. “What is your preference for your sleeping arrangements?” She asked smoothly. “I know that Elladan and Elrohir will sleep in the same room, and Aragorn will be sleeping in his usual bed next to Legolas’ room.”

She turned a quizzical look towards Halbarad and Haldir.

“Separate rooms.” Aragorn spoke up amused. “Halbarad doesn’t usually get to sleep on a feather mattress.”

Lainiel smiled. “Alright.” She gestured towards the rooms that each one would occupy. “Also.” The five males turned towards her. “There are baths drawn and clothes for you to put on while your present clothes are being washed.” Her voice turned steel. “You had better not touch anything but the floor before you wash either.”

She smiled again. “Am I understood?”

After she received appropriate replies from all of them, she very gracefully folded her hands together in front of her and walked out of the corridor. Knowing, yet completely ignoring the fact that the five males were staring after her in mild shock.

“Is she always like that?” Halbarad asked quietly. He knew first hand how good elves ears were.

“Only when she sees dirt.” Aragorn replied laughing.

*~*~*

After they had all bathed and changed, Elladan, Elrohir, Aragorn, Halbarad, Haldir and Thalion along with the rest of the royal family met in the room outside of the surgery room.

They were all quiet, waiting for Galion to show up. While they all anticipated the healer’s return, it was also something each person dreaded, for each knew that Galion would bring good news or bad news.

As the seconds ticked into minutes and minutes into hours, the royal family came and went, each needing to slip away for a duty to be done. But they would always hurry back to wait again.

As night slowly drew upon them, there was a stiff tension in the room that felt thick enough to cut with a knife.

Lomion on his return had brought with him Meldon, one of Legolas’ closets friends and companions. There was a tired grief etched on the face of the young elf, but there was also a quiet pain in his eyes that stopped any questions about him being in the room.

Meldon had watched Adoril, his closets friend die, and although he did not want to see Legolas die, there was a hope in his chest that Legolas would be alright after the ordeal he had suffered. That everything would go back to normal, except for Adoril.

That ache in his chest would remain forever.

The door creaked open.

Galion stepped through the door, wearing a tired smile.

“Well?” Thranduil demanded.

“He will be fine, but he needs his healing rest.” Galion said quietly. He was exhausted from the long hours of working over the young prince but he was pleased at the outcome.

“Is he awake?” Lomion asked, his eyes bright with hope.

“Yes he is.” Galion allowed. “He would like to see his Ada and Lomion.” He informed them.

“Does he know that there are many more here that wish to see him?” Aragorn asked amused.

Galion looked around rather startled at the amount of people in the small room. He gave a small smile. “I will tell him, I am sure he will want to see you all.”

He turned around with Thranduil and Lomion right behind him and reentered the room.

“Ada?” Legolas’ voice was rough from the lack of use.

He was bandaged from almost head to toe, Thranduil saw, but he was awake. “Hello my little ‘Las.” He gently pressed a kiss to the forehead. “How do you feel?”

“Tired, sore, weak, numb and feeling like I’m going to throw up.” Legolas grinned weakly.

Lomion chuckled lightly. “Well I’m glad to see that you aren’t feeling too awful for company.” He also pressed a kiss against the nearly translucent skin.

“Company?” Legolas asked tiredly.

“Elladan, Elrohir, Aragorn, Halbarad of the Dunadain, Haldir of Lothlorien, Meldon, as well as Lothgil, Lainiel, Miriwen, oh and someone else as well.” Thranduil said lightly.

“Who?” Legolas pressed, taking his Ada’s hand in his own and for a moment pretended everything was normal. He wasn’t lying in bed half crippled, his hair nearly shorn off, his back full of whip marks, and his lungs didn’t feel like they were on fire.

“Thalion is back.”

“He is?” Legolas struggled to sit up, but was so physically drained that he could barely move let alone sit up by himself.

Thranduil quickly caught his youngest son as Legolas started to tip off the bed from his movements. “Hold still.” He ordered. “You are in no shape to go anywhere.”

Legolas breathed deeply in his Ada’s tunic as his face was pressed forward. “Does that mean they can come to me?” He coughed as mucus coated his throat from his lungs.

Thranduil chuckled despite his worry, the sound vibrating into Legolas’ ear. “Yes my little one, that means they will come to you.” He gave a short nod to Lomion who turned and quietly exited to get the others.

“I am sorry Ada.” Legolas whispered.

“For what?” Surprise resonated in the king’s voice.

“Worrying you, putting white hairs in your hair.” Legolas giggled suddenly, to tired to even think on what he was saying. “But I think you would look good with white hairs, or even silver.” He yawned. “Lord Celeborn has silver hair and he is your cousin, Ada. So I don’t think you would look too bad with silver hair.”

Thranduil laughed. “Oh my precious.” He held Legolas close to his heart. “Is there nothing that can stop you?”

Legolas smiled, reaching up his hand to curl his fingers into his Ada’s hair, a trait that had been born in him. “Only you.” He whispered as sleep slowly came over him, exhaustion making his eyelids slowly drift shut. “Only you.” He whispered again, and then fell into a healing sleep.

As the others quickly filed in they were all slightly disappointed to see that Legolas had fallen asleep. Aragorn was shocked to see Legolas in such a state; in all of the long years he had known Legolas he had never seen the prince in such a place of well, of disarray and weakness. His skin was so pale it resembled the snow that was falling outside.

Thranduil smiled at them.

“Ai!” Thalion gave a soft cry of horror upon seeing his little brother. In his worst nightmare he had not even come close to the image that was now stamped in his memory. He let go of Miriwen’s hand and gently took Legolas other hand into his. “Ai my little brother.” He whispered. “You take too much upon yourself.”

He had heard in full detail of Legolas’ captivity and had been filled with horror at what had been done to him. But looking at Legolas, with his eyes closed, his skin white as snow, it was like someone hitting him in the chest with the realization that everything that Thranduil and Lomion had told him, was true.

His heart ached at the thought that his little brother had been tortured so. He could hardly bear the image the picture cast in his mind when Lomion had spoken of the evil things done on Legolas’ body and spirit.

“Be at peace little leaf.” Thalion whispered as he bent down and gently pressed a kiss to Legolas’ forehead. “You are safe now.”

Though Legolas gave no sign of showing Thalion that he heard him, the lines on his face relaxed ever so slightly.

“Alright, Legolas needs his sleep and I am sure that the rest of you all do as well.” Galion spoke up from the corner. He stood and began to shoo everyone out.

He let Thranduil alone, knowing that the king needed sometime alone with his youngest son. As Lomion and Thalion filed out they met each other’s eyes and quietly agreed to leave their Ada alone for the time being.

Thalion quickly snagged Miriwen’s arm as she walked past him. He lowered his lips to her ear and quietly whispered something in her ear that made her blush. “Thalion!” She cried out, scandalized. She hit his upper arm. “Someone might have heard you!”

“All I care is that you heard me.” Thalion replied mischievously, making sure no one was around and the door to the other room was closed he stuck his tongue out at her, daring her...

Making sure no one was around to see their scandalize behavior, she stood on her tip toes, opened her mouth and allowed Thalion’s tongue in.

After a few moments she broke free, slightly gasping for air.

Thalion sighed lightly. “I missed that.”

“Well you might have to get used to it for a little while longer.” Miriwen teased.

“What do you mean by that?” Thalion asked curiously.

“I’m pregnant.” Miriwen whispered.

“What?”

“With twins!” Miriwen gushed.

“Twins?” Thalion gasped. “You’re pregnant with twins?”

“Yes!” Miriwen cried out happily.

“You’re pregnant with twins.” Thalion repeated.

Miriwen laughed.

The loud cry of happiness was heard down several corridors and was so loud that it even woke Legolas up.

“Thalion! Miriwen! What is the meaning of this commotion?” Thranduil demanded at the sight of his two children dancing around happily, or rather Thalion swinging Miriwen while pressing his lips to hers.

“Ada!” Thalion cried out. “I’m going to be an Ada!”

Thranduil blinked. “What?”

“I’m going to be an Ada!” Thalion cried out again. He spun Miriwen around, and then suddenly halted. “I’m going to be an Ada.” He whispered. “I’m going to be an Ada.”

“Thalion?” A weak call caught the prince’s attention. He carefully eased around Miriwen and Thranduil and walked to the door.

“Legolas?” Ai! How his heart ached to see his little brother in such a state! “I see that you didn’t do as I told you too.” He jested lightly.

Legolas grinned. “Maybe you will have better luck with your kids.” He said weakly. He sobered. “I’m sorry.”

“Shhh.” Thalion was quick to press a finger against the rough lips to prevent Legolas from speaking. “There is nothing to be sorry about. I heard everything what happened from Adar and Lomion.” He hesitated then spoke again. “There is nothing to be ashamed of either.”

Legolas coughed weakly.

“And.” Thalion continued. “If you blame yourself for what happened, I will blame myself for sending you on the patrol, Lomion will blame himself for authorizing the patrol and Adar will blame himself for giving his blessing for the patrol.” The prince gave a calculating smile. “So you see if you blame yourself we will all blame ourselves and we will all feel horrible in the end.”

Legolas rolled his eyes, but Thalion could see some of the shadow lift from his little brother’s eyes.

“Put a cork in it Thalion.” Legolas retorted lightly. “My feelings are my own.” But Thalion knew he didn’t mean it.

“You need to rest and heal so you can show Haldir that he isn’t as good with a bow and arrow as a Mirkwood elf.” Thalion said quietly, placing a kiss upon Legolas’ forehead.

The young prince chuckled. “I will.” He promised. He yawned. “I will.”

His eyes unfocused, then slowly slid shut. He felt Miriwen’s hand upon his shoulder, and then listened as his wife began to sing a lullaby.

Lay your head
Down to bed
Let your slumber sweep your cares away

In your dreams
Chase moonbeams
All the way across the Milky Way

And as you rest
In the bed*
That we've made for you

We'll caress
And keep you blessed
Never alone for the whole night through

Go to sleep
Don't your weep
Tomorrow's gonna be
Tomorrow's gonna be
Tomorrow's gonna be a brand-new day

(Never alone – (Eeyore's Lullaby) – by Tyler Collins) *Slightly altered*





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List