Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter

Healing is the hardest...

*~*~*

Tasari frowned as he quickly walked into the palace. He had been summoned by someone from the palace, and had thought that his Adar had gotten back home, but from the way it sounded he wasn’t so sure.

He had been recently breaking in horses using different tactics. He had recruited a couple of warriors who helped him use various ways that horses were used on the front lines against wargs, spiders and orcs. Using arrows, spears and other ways he had quickly found a way to have arrows whip by the horses head and the horse would remain still. He also began teaching horses how to respond by using just knees instead of a bridle.

It had been exhausting work but one that left Tasari feel more accomplished, but he still had yet to really test the horses on a battle ground.

He wiped his dirty, sweaty face on his un-tucked shirt as he turned a corner and bumped into another. He was about to apologize and move out of the way, but there was something in the other elf’s eyes that stopped him.

It was a look of confusion, happiness and startled hope.

“Your pardon.” Tasari nodded. “I was not looking where I was going.”

“Nay.” The other elf was quick to deny the fact. “I should have been watching where I was going.”

Tasari grinned, liking the elf immediately. “My name is Tasari.” He offered his hand.

“Prince Tasari?” The other elf asked hesitantly.

Tasari nodded, curiously wondering where the elf had had found out his name.

“I am Thorinell.” The elf bowed.

“Ahhh.” Tasari grinned again. “You are the one Lothgil has been corresponding with.” He stated rather than asked.

Thorinell sighed. It had been his luck to run into Lothgil’s father, Lothgil’s sister in law and now Lothgil’s brother. Of course it was not her only brother, but perhaps this one would hand out threats so easily as Thranduil and Miriwen had been. “Yes, I am.” He said warily anticipating the threats that would surely come now.

Instead, to his utmost surprise, the other elf grinned all the more and enthusiastically began to pump his hand in welcome. “At last I met the elf who has won over my tom-boy of a sister!” He cried out happily.

“Tom boy of a sister?” Thorinell repeated rather taken aback at the welcome.

Tasari laughed, wiping his face again on the un-tucked shirt. “That would be Lothgil.” He shook his head.

“She’s a tom boy?” Thorinell asked, hesitantly siding Tasari as a possible ally.

Tasari nodded and motioned for the other elf to join him walking down the corridor. “Have you been put in a room yet?” He questioned.

Thorinell shook his head. “I was told to look for a Princess Lainiel, but the servants didn’t tell me where to look for her.”

“Lainiel?” Tasari shrugged, wondering where Miriwen was, as she usually took care of guests or others. “Do you happen to know where Princess Miriwen is?”

“Miriwen? The healer?” At Tasari’s nod he continued. “She is currently in the healers ward with the king and Prince Legolas, I believe.”

Tasari stopped short. “Where?” He questioned.

“The healers ward.” Thorinell repeated.

“Are you sure?” The prince pressed.

Thorinell nodded.

“I must be off then.” Tasari bit his lower lip.

‘It was a quality that the entire Thranduillion’s did that, it seemed.’ Thorinell thought curiously.

“Mikel!” Tasari called out to a passing stable hand. “Can you take Thorinell to Princess Lainiel?”

“Aye, M’lord!” The other elf called out.

Tasari nodded. “My thanks Mikel.” He nodded. “Thorinell, I trust you will find your stay here enjoyable.”

Thorinell smiled and started to move off with Mikel.

“But...”

With a sinking heart, Thorinell turned back toward the prince. “Yes?”

“Make sure Adar doesn’t see you making out with her ay?” With a low chuckle and a clasp on the back, Tasari moved off towards the healer’s ward. Leaving a rather startled, but happy elf behind.

*~*~*

Tasari arrived the same time as Lomion and Miriwen did. He drew up to a halt, staring at the both of them. “How is he?” He asked quietly.

Lomion sighed. “Last time I knew he was in serious condition, from what I hear from Miriwen, his condition hasn’t improved.” He replied seriously.

“What happened?” Tasari demanded, wanting, needing to know.

In quick quiet tones Lomion told them about Legolas’ capture, tortured imprisonment, the loss of Adoril, the killing of the Easterling and then the return home.

There was horror etched on the faces of Tasari and Miriwen, but there was an infinite sadness in Lomion’s eyes. Both Tasari and Miriwen knew that there was something that the crown prince was holding back, but neither of them pressed.

The door creaked open to reveal a very worried looking king hurry out, not even looking at his son’s or daughter in law.

The three exchanged worried glances.

“You two go in, I’ll go see where Adar is going.” Lomion stated quietly, then headed off in the other direction.

Miriwen glanced at Tasari, and then slipped in the open door as silent as a wraith. She could feel Tasari right behind her.

“Galion?” She called out softly.

The door cutting the surgery room from the waiting room opened, reveal a haggard and worn looking elf.

“Legolas? Is he...” Miriwen couldn’t even bring herself to say that horrible word.

Galion smiled gently. “No, Miriwen. He still lives.” He hesitated, looking at Tasari. “He is in very bad shape however. Your father is sending another message to Imladris.” He looked grave. “I am putting Legolas in a coma until I get a message back.”

“A coma?” Tasari took a step backward. He shot a quick glance at Miriwen. “But won’t that hurt him all the more? In the long run I mean?”

“What would have me do?” Galion pressed. “If his leg starts healing now, he will surely be a cripple for the rest of his life because I would have to amputate his leg.”

“Amputate?” Miriwen gasped, her face going pale.

“Only if his leg starts healing now.” Galion replied. “I have yet to receive a reply from Lord Elrond.” He hesitated. “There is little I can do right now.”

“What about gangrene?” Tasari pressed.

“That is something I can do.” Galion retorted lightly. “The problem right now is to make sure that he gets his nourishment. I doubt he will waken on his own, but there needs to be someone at his side always.”

“Why?” Miriwen questioned confused.

“Usually when a patient wakes up they are often very disoriented and confused, the person beside them can help them regain any lost or vague memories.” Galion explained. “Legolas happens to be a special case.”

Why?” Tasari asked, suddenly knowing that there was something, something very important that Lomion had neglected to tell him. Time suddenly seemed to slow, seconds ticked by like years, as he waited for Galion’s answer. He vaguely heard Miriwen ask why, then felt Galion’s gaze turn upon him.

There was sympathy in Galion’s gaze and something else.... But Tasari couldn’t question the healer more because Lomion and Thranduil had walked back in the waiting room.

“No message yet received.” Thranduil shook his head. “The bird probably might have just gotten there, so it is very possible that we won’t get a message until tomorrow.” He looked frustrated.

Suddenly Miriwen sat down, feeling rather overwhelmed at the news. Tears slowly welled up, and her heart ached for her youngest brother in law. Legolas held a special place in everyone’s heart and each knew if Legolas could never walk again it would literally kill him.

“Can we see him?” She asked quietly.

Galion hesitated for a long moment, then slowly nodded. “Prepare yourself though. It is not a pretty sight.”

They all nodded, inwardly bracing themselves.

Galion opened the door and let them all in.

And there lying motionlessly on the table was Legolas. His eyes were closed because of the drug; his face normally pale was completely white. He was covered from the waist down with a thin sheet, while his torso was literally covered in bandages, many of the blood soaked. There was a faint rasp to the breathing and every so often the lithe body would shift restlessly even though drugged and unconscious. But what really shook Tasari and Miriwen was the hair, or rather the lack of hair.

It looked like his head had been shaven with a very dull blade. Even though elven hair grew very fast, it was almost a matter of honor if an elf’s hair had been cut. Warrior braids were a matter of honor and pride and to see Legolas without his hard won warrior braids was nothing less than shocking.

Miriwen gasped and felt her legs turn to jelly and she sank to her knees at the horrific sight.

Instantly Galion was at her side. “You shouldn’t be up.” Galion said quietly. “You need to be resting.”

Miriwen gave a shaky smile to the healer. She wasn’t surprised that Galion knew about her pregnancy, very little could escape the healer. “I’ll be fine Galion.” She replied in return. “I just need to sit for a little bit.”

Galion helped her to a chair where she carefully avoided the gazes of her in laws.

Galion saw the gazes and knew that the princess had not yet told them of her ‘delicate’ health, so he quickly began to speak of the various things he had to do to repair Legolas’ body.

Miriwen studiously ignored the curious glances at her way; she was determined that Thalion would be the first she would tell and then knowing Thalion as she did, she had little doubt that Thalion would raise the entire kingdom.

A small smile curved her lips, but she quickly hid it as Galion spoke about Legolas’ condition.

‘Ai! Thalion.’ She thought. ‘Come back, we need you to be here.’

She would not have been to surprised to find that her husband a few hundred miles away was in a rather harsh argument with Lord Elrond, with Aragorn, the twins, Telos and Haldir looking on rather amusedly and shamelessly.

The Lothlorien elf had decided to stay and see Thalion to full strength having taking a liking the Mirkwood prince who has a lot like the guardian. And watching the Mirkwood prince go head to head with Rivendell’s lord was rather amusing to say none the lest.

So far the Lothlorien guardian was having more fun than he had had in a long time and he knew that Thalion had no qualms about him going to Mirkwood.

Mirkwood had always held a rather curiosity about it. Many of the elves from other realms often wondered how the forest or its inhabitants could live in such an evil place and needless to say Haldir was curious about the many battle tactics used in Mirkwood.

“I am fine!” Thalion firmly stated, interrupted Haldir’s thoughts.

“Ada.” Elladan laid a placating hand on his father’s shoulder. “Elrohir, Aragorn, Estel, Haldir, Telos and I are all going with Thalion. If anything happens I think between all of us, we can take care of Thalion’s needs.”

Thalion turned a glare upon the twin. “It’s a good thing I am with you, because there are many things in Mirkwood that are deadly to Noldor elves.” He said quietly.

Elladan raised an eyebrow, not hiding the smirk on his face at the veiled threat. “What is that suppose to mean?” He challenged.

“I suppose you would have the anti drug if someone was to say get bitten by a spider?” Thalion purred smoothly. “And then I would suppose that you would actually know the ingredients for such a drug.”

Elladan gave a shaky laugh. “See Ada? We are all prepared in case anything happens.”

Elrond sighed, and then placed his hand on Thalion’s forehead. After a long moment he took his hand away. “Well.” He sighed again. “I do not think I will be able to make you stay any longer, however.” He paused reaching for a pack lying on the ground a few feet away. “You are to give this to Galion immediately.” He hesitated. “It is for Legolas.”

Thalion searched Elrond’s eyes, instinctively knowing that there was something that Elrond had not told him.

“Hurry Thalion.” Elrond said quietly. “Your brother is going to need that pack as soon as you get it to Galion.”

Thalion nodded, wanting to ask more questions but dared not after Elrond’s grave message. He quickly turned and threw himself on his horse. The others had all already pulled themselves atop their horses and had been waiting for him.

Ready and eager to go back to his home and wife, Thalion urged his horse forward. If they were lucky, the ride would be an easy one and they would get there within a day and night’s ride.

Casting a quick glance backward, he dug his heels in the horse’s sides and galloped off.

The other elves and human exchanged glances, they all knew that the next few days were going to be without much sleep, food or warmth, but none of them really cared, the all knew that the youngest prince of Mirkwood was in desperate need of them.

*~*~*

Lainiel frowned at the paper, suddenly realizing that she had made a mistake, and of course it just had to be the very last sentence as well. She sighed and once more dipped the quill into ink holder.

A knock sounded at the door.

“Enter.” Lainiel called, not looking over her shoulder to see who it was.

“Lainiel? Do you know if Lomion is back yet?” Lothgil called from the entrance.

“Lomion?” Lainiel asked, turning around in her seat to look at her sister in law.

“Yes Lomion. I thought he would be because Adar is back with Legolas.” Lothgil informed her.

“Hmm.” Lainiel shook her head. “If he is back I don’t know of it. Where did you see Adar?”

Lothgil blushed and stared at her booted feet.

“Lothgil?” Lainiel set the quill down.

“Well...” Lothgil hesitated before plunging ahead. “Ada caught Thorinell...”

“Thorinell is here?” Lainiel interrupted.

A deep sigh of happiness came from the younger female. “Yes, he’s here, but.” She hastily composed herself. “He found Thorinell and I.... Well....” She blushed again. “We were you know...” She stammered.

Lainiel laughed. “He caught you two kissing?” She questioned.

Flushed red to the tips of her hair, Lothgil nodded, but a shy, dreamy smiled appeared on her lips.

“So I take it you liked it?” Lainiel teased.

If it was possible Lothgil blushed an even deep red.

Lainiel laughed. “What did Adar say about it?”

“Well.” Lothgil bit her lip. “He was talking to Thorinell last time I knew, but then I decided to go find you.”

“Well then.” Lainiel stood up and linked her arm with Lothgil’s. “I would think that Legolas, Adar and Lomion would all be in the healer’s ward. And I bet we are about to be summoned.”

“Princess Lainiel! Princess Lothgil!”

Lainiel winked at Lothgil. “See?”

Lothgil laughed.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List