Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter

A/N: Sorry it took so long. ATF really threw me off schedule and it’s been a struggle to get back on;-) If you know what I mean.... But anyway....

This chapter is not beta read.

Chapter 19

The Hope within us

*~*~*

Lothgil took a step backwards, stunned beyond comprehension that the one she loved was standing before her with an equally stunned expression on his face.

“Thorinell?” She whispered, her hand seemingly taking a life of it’s own as she reached up and gently caressed his cheek.

Thorinell gently took the small hand into his larger one and let it drop gently. He bowed formally. “Princess Lothgil.” He whispered in return, then stepped around the love of his heart and started to walk away, his heart feeling like someone had dug an icicle into it.

“I received your letter.” Lothgil called out suddenly, taking out the letter from her pocket and holding it out for him to see.

Thorinell froze. His mind raced. ‘Letter? What letter? He had sent no letter!’ He turned out slowly, masking his puzzlement.

“I... I was about to send a reply.” The Princess said quietly, slowly opening the letter.

Thorinell reached out for the letter, hoping that his mother hadn’t... As his eyes quickly skimmed over the page, he felt a sort of half relief that someone had found it and sent the letter and half horror that his mother had actually seen and sent the letter.

“Are you angry?” Lothgil asked timidly watching Thorinell’s face cloud up.

Instantly his face cleared and he smiled at her. The mere sight making Lothgil go weak at the knees.

“No.” He assured her. “I’m just a little surprised to see it here so soon.”

Lothgil returned his smile. “So it is true.”

Thorinell chuckled. “Yes.” He said simply.

Unable to help herself, Lothgil threw herself into Thorinell’s arms and laughed aloud as her beloved twirled her around. After a few seconds, they slowed as they looked into each other’s eyes.

Hesitantly, like two shy little elflings, they slowly leaned toward each other and ever so carefully, their lips met in a quick kiss.

They both looked rather startled, but after another few seconds, Thorinell leaned back down and gently pressed his lips to hers again tugging her towards him a little close for comfort. She responded by cautiously wrapping her arms around his neck.

A throat cleared, and immediately the two broke apart putting each other at arms length.

And there before them, with a not too amused expression on his fair face was Thranduil. Nay, King Thranduil.

Both Thorinell and Lothgil could feel their cheeks turning red.

“Ada...” Lothgil started but stopped as soon as Thranduil raised an eyebrow.

“It’s not how it looks, sir.” Thorinell choked out.

Thranduil said nothing but continued to look at the two, now very uncomfortable elves.

“Ada?” Lothgil asked timidly, her pearly white teeth catching her lower lip. She had no idea how her Adar would react to her kissing Thorinell.... Another red blush stained her cheeks when she remembered the kiss. Soft, yet hard, gentle yet harsh....

She quickly averted her gaze lest Ada see what was in the depths...

“Lothgil go to my study in five minutes.” Thranduil said quietly, his face and voice emotionless. “Thorinell, you will be at my study in ten minutes.”

He waited for both of them to nod, rather miserably, and then strode off in the direction of his study, letting a smile blossom on his face as soon as he was past them.

So that was his little princess’ beloved, he thought rather wickedly. ‘I’m sure Lomion and Thalion will be most interested.’

*~*~*

“Get the prisoner up!” Lomion ordered, pulling his quiver straps tight against his chest.

He had decided to wait for a little while before heading back to the palace, just because many of the novices needed their rest first. They had all been through a very trying hour and had proved themselves with courage and pride.

But it was Meldon who many were the most worried about. He had watched his best friend die and his other best friend severely tortured, beaten and then tossed off a cliff. He had not said a word since Lomion had pulled his youngest brother from the river, and continually wore a haunted expression upon his fair face.

He had refused to open up and let his emotions out, which made the situation almost dangerous for him. Every elf knew that holding back emotions usually led to one thing. Death.

Lomion watched worriedly as Meldon stumbled ever so slightly walking to his horse. Though all noticed it, no one mentioned it. They all knew what was troubling him, but they could do nothing for him, unless he wanted help.

Everyone seemed to slow down as they all discreetly watched Meldon whisper something to his horse, who bobbed his head in return. A slight smile appeared on Meldon’s face before he buried his head into his horse’s mane and finally let his tears loose.

His eyes quickly telling everyone to look away, Lomion strode over to the grieving elf and carefully drew the younger elf into his open arms and allowed him to cry into his shoulder.

*~*~*

‘Achoo!’ Thalion sneezed, then glared at Halbarad. “You were thmoking.” He accused, through a very thoroughly blocked nose. He grabbed the royal blue handkerchief and blew his nose.

“Sorry Thalion.” Halbarad shrugged rather unapologetically.

“Thure you are.” Thalion mocked, or rather tried to despite his lisps.

Against Elrond’s orders or wishes, Thalion had decided to get up and walk around the garden. He, like his younger brother had a natural aversion to staying indoors for any long period and needed to feel the fresh wind upon his fevered brow.

Not that anyone really knew the real reason, but he still wanted some fresh air. Then he had walked, accidentally upon Halbarad, Aragorn’s right hand man. Though Legolas had once told him jokingly that actually Halbarad was Aragorn’s left hand man, because Aragorn was actually left handed, not right handed.

(A/N: I have no idea if that is true:-)

Still feeling slightly off balance, Thalion had not noticed the pipe hurriedly being emptied out until he started sneezing again.

He was rather frustrated with it all, he hated the weak feeling in his body and wished with all his might that he wasn’t one of the ‘rare’ elves who were allergic to pipe weed.

“How is rascal doing?” Halbarad asked suddenly, surprising the elf.

“Rathcal?” Thalion repeated confused.

“Legolas?” The ranger grinned.

“You know Legolath?” The prince’s brow furrowed, trying to remember if Legolas had ever mentioned the ranger, it was rather hard because his mind seemed to be a puddle of ooze.

Halbarad looked confused as well. “Yes.” He said hesitantly suddenly looking rather worried.

“Oh.” Thalion resisted the urge to grab his head between his hands. “I don’t know.” He said tiredly. “Lath time I knew he wathn’t doing too good.”

“.... look too good.”

Thalion focused enough only to hear the last part of the ranger’s sentence. “What?” He questioned.

“I said you don’t look too good.” Halbarad repeated a little louder, making the prince wince.

“Well you don’t have to yell.” Thalion retorted crossly.

After a moment’s hesitation, the ranger very carefully placed a cool hand on the fevered brow.

“You have a fever.” He stated.

“Ithn’t that nice.” Thalion rolled his eyes.

“Shouldn’t you be in bed?” Halbarad pressed.

Thalion yawned tiredly. “Have you ever been around when Legolath wath wounded?” He asked.

The ranger chuckled. “Yes.”

The elf shrugged carelessly. “I’m the thame way. In fact Legolath got hith ‘I’m fine’ from me.”

Halbarad sighed. “So you’re the brother who Legolas said he was trying to beat in getting wounded the most times.”

Thalion burst out laughing. “Ith that what he told you?” He asked incredulously.

“You are his second oldest brother right? And you have a wife by the name of Miriwen? And you have a rare scar on the top of your left shoulder?” Halbarad questioned.

Thalion shook his head. “Ith not a thcar, it’s a birthmark. Here.” He loosened his tunic at the top and pulled it to the side to reveal a two inch white puckered line of skin. “Everyone thinkth ith a thcar but I athked not only my Adar but my Naneth as well. Ith a birthmark, not a thcar.”

Halbarad nodded knowingly. He had a birthmark on his lower back right next to his spin, but it looked nothing like the Prince’s birthmark. He stood up. “I think you need to get back in bed.” He stated smiling, but there was something in his manner that told Thalion not to resist.

In all truth, Thalion didn’t really care, he felt too miserable to resist.

*~*~*~*

Galion carefully probed for more bone fragments. He had gotten several out, but what worried him most of all, was the amount of fragments. There would be a good inch or two that would be missing in reconstructing the bone.

He needed something so that when healing, Legolas’ leg bone wouldn’t pull together leaving his one leg shorter than the other.

“Miriwen.”

“Yes Galion?”

“Go get King Thranduil and ask him to come here.”

The princess nodded and slipped out of her bloodstained over-gown and quietly left.

Sighing tiredly, Galion made sure that the prince was still unconscious then shaking his head, returned his work.

Prince Legolas Thranduillion of the woodland realm was in need of a miracle. And Galion had no idea how to provide one.

*~*~*

“Who is this elf you were kissing?” Thranduil asked smoothly his back turned on his daughter.

“His name is Thorinell, he is a leader of one of the settlements.” Lothgil’s voice shook ever so slightly.

“Is he indeed.” Thranduil stated, not letting his daughter know that he knew exactly what type of elf Thorinell was.

“When did you meet him?” He continued.

“Five years ago, when you had all the settlement leaders come in for a week long meeting.” Lothgil replied softly her eyes upon her Adar’s back.

“Five years?” Thranduil turned around. “And when did you decide that you were going to let the rest of your family know? Especially your father?”

Lothgil blushed a deep red. “I..I...I...”

“I, what?” Thranduil prodded gently.

“I wanted to make sure he loved me first.” She whispered, her eyes lowered.

“And does he?” The King smiled softly.

Instantly Lothgil’s eyes shot up and she met his glance with no hesitation. “Yes.” She smiled happily. “He does.”

“We shall see.” He said noncommittally. He strode over to the door and opened it to reveal a rather sheepish looking elf.

“I’m here Sire.” Thorinell blushed, not meeting Lothgil’s eyes.

Though Thranduil was amused to see that Lothgil didn’t meet Thorinell’s eyes either. Had he been the same way when he had courted Lalaith? He wondered. He suppressed a chuckle knowing that it was probably true.

“Come in Thorinell.” Thranduil stood back. “Lothgil, I will see you later.” He dismissed her.

Lothgil gave a hesitant smile then slid past her Adar and her beloved, inwardly praying that she would see Thorinell later on in one piece.

As the door slid shut behind her, she turned to look at the door. Her lower lip tucked neatly between her teeth as she suddenly realized something.

Adar was here, so where was Legolas and Lomion? Suddenly worried she turned to hurry and go to the healer’s ward, knowing that most likely Legolas would be there. And perhaps she would find out where Lomion was as well.

She stopped as another thought came to her. If Legolas was in the healer’s ward she wouldn’t be able to see him.... But maybe Lomion was with Lainiel...

Changing directions again she turned to the royal family’s ward to see if Lainiel was in her room.

*~*~*

After the last shuddering sob, Meldon finally pulled back wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. He was rather surprised to see the encampment cleared only Prince Lomion and him remained.

“Where are the others?” He asked tiredly.

Lomion smiled. “They are waiting for us.” He said simply, and then let out a whistle.

The rest of elves rode up each carefully avoiding staring at Meldon’s still tear stained face. They were all in desperate need of baths; indeed the novice patrol had not been able to wash for nearly a week.

Meldon’s face had been particularly dirty because he had been forced to dive face first into the ground several times, though he had tried to clean it the night before, he had drifted off to sleep instead.

Quickly mounting up they headed back to the palace, eager to find out what would happen to the youngest prince.

*~*~*

Miriwen carefully knocked on the door to her father in law’s study. She had been told that he was in a meeting but Miriwen knew that Galion needed him, so she had decided to interrupt the meeting.

“Yes?” Thranduil called out.

“Forgive me Adar, but Galion needs you to go to the healer’s ward. He needs to talk to you.” Miriwen called through the door.

The door opened before her and she saw a tall handsome elf standing before Thranduil. So this was Lothgil’s secret admirer.

Though he looked a bit pale there was a sparkle in his eyes that told the princess that the elf had heard some good news, but not before her Adar would have threatened him what would happened should he break Lothgil’s heart.

“What does Galion need?” Thranduil asked briskly.

Miriwen could see he was exhausted. The past few days had worn him down wither he was aware of it or not. “I do not know.” She replied neutrally. “But he asked for you to come as soon as possible.”

There was a sudden look in Thranduil’s eyes that startled Miriwen. A look of horrified terror that passed so quickly that Miriwen had to question if she had seen it at all.

He nodded and strode out the door leaving Thorinell and Miriwen standing in the entryway of his study.

After watching her father in law disappear down the corridor Miriwen turned to the elf beside her. “So you are Thorinell.” She smiled in welcome and held her hand out.

Thorinell blinked rather surprised to the fact that someone else in Lothgil’s family knew his name. “I am.” He acknowledged. “I take it you are Miriwen?”

The princess laughed lightly resting her hand on her stomach. “I am.” She gave a slight curtsey. “I am most pleased to finally meet you.” She gestured for him to start walking beside her. “I have heard many things about you from Lothgil.” She turned, stopping him and searched him with her piercing gaze. “I hope everything is true, or else you will not only have King Thranduil after you but the rest of the family as well.”

The elf looked startled and not a little shaken at the threat, he knew very well what warriors the House of Oropher had. “I will do my utmost to keep her love.” He said quietly.

Miriwen smiled, not at all moved by his words. “Actions.” She said solemnly. “Speak louder than words.” She gave another slight curtsey then quickly moved off in the direction of the healer’s ward, leaving a rather shaken elf behind.

*~*~*~*

As the horses clattered into the stable area, Lomion felt a flash of relief. Though there had been no sign of the enemy it was always good to get back home. But now would come the hardest part; healing.

Making sure that all the warriors would bathe and eat, he quickly mounted the steps to the inner courtyard and then down the healer’s ward where he knew Legolas and perhaps his father would be.

Quickly changing course he turned around a corner and ran into Miriwen. He quickly caught her, both looking surprised. “Miriwen, where is Legolas and Adar?” He asked quickly.

“Legolas is being operated on by Galion and Adar went there because Galion summoned him.” Miriwen said quickly, taking Lomion’s arm and leading him down the corridor. “There is something wrong with Legolas and I don’t think Galion knows what to do.” She said worriedly.

“What do you mean?” Lomion grabbed her arm to stop her.

Miriwen sighed. “I don’t know, Lomion.” She said quietly. “I’ve worked with Galion for several years and in all the cases he’s worked on I’ve never seen him like this.”

“Like what?” Lomion demanded.

Miriwen sighed. “There is a helplessness around him, like he doesn’t know what to do.” She shook her head. “I don’t know Lomion, but I’m scared.”

Lomion gently placed a hand on her shoulder. “All will be well, Miriwen. Just don’t loose hope.” He said encouragingly.

*~*~*

“Galion?” Thranduil spoke quietly drawing the healer’s attention.

Galion quickly looked up and drew his hands from Legolas’ leg. He wiped the blood off of them and walked over to Thranduil’s side.

“There is quite of bit of bone lost in Legolas’ leg.” Galion said quietly. “Right now there is about two inches of bone missing, what I need to figure out now is to separate the top and bottom bone pieces long enough for bone to grow between there.”

Thranduil stepped back. “What do you have that could do such a thing?” He questioned.

Galion shrugged helplessly. “I don’t know.” He hesitated. “What is the quickest way to get a message to Rivendell?”

“We have several birds for that very purpose.” Thranduil informed.

Galion nodded. “I am in need of one then.”

Thranduil nodded and left, leaving Galion to quickly write a hasty message to the renowned healer of Rivendell.

*~*~*

Lord Elrond

        Greetings. I am Galion a healer at King Thranduil’s realm. Prince Legolas has recently been wounded and his leg has been shattered below the knee. I have been able to retrieve many if not all of the bone fragments, but in doing so I have found that there is at least two inches of bone missing in trying to reconstruct the bone together. I have no idea what I should proceed to do, I can stop the leg from healing completely until further notice but I fear it will only take it’s toll on the young prince. I await further instructions...

        Sincerely,

        Galion

*~*~*

Elrond frowned at the missive. The bird had flown as fast as it could to Rivendell, making the entire trip in about four hours.

He quickly went into his study and began pulling out several books to look up different types of healing herbs that would work quicker than others.

Taking a piece of paper he began to jot down a list of several herbs and their healing properties. It would be a risk, for Legolas would have to remain unconscious for several days for the bone to reconstruct itself, and in the worse case scenario, Legolas would remain in a coma for a few weeks, but it would not be permanent. For while Galion could easily use herbs to still the natural healing, there were only a few rare herbs that could be used that would actually enhance the healing of bones to a certain point.

Galion knew the exact point to where Legolas needed healing, but Elrond could only really guess. So he enclosed several different herbs, their uses and how to use them and then quickly sent them back to Mirkwood by way of a bird carrier.

Then with a sigh went to check on one of the other Mirkwood princes in his own care and to tell Thalion the news about his youngest brother.

But hopefully this prince wouldn’t react as much as he knew Legolas would have. With a slight smile and knowing the exact reaction, fever or no that Thalion would have, Elrond turned the door handle and opened the door. Bracing himself for the well known Thranduillion stubbornness, pride and temper, he walked in.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List