Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See Default Chapter

Chapter 3 -

The Princes of Mirkwood


There can be no triumph without loss,
No victory without suffering,
No freedom without sacrifice.
(The Return of the King Trailer)

"Namaarie." Thalion placed his right hand over his heart and swept outward in a traditional gesture of farewell. He locked eyes with his wife, and seeing her sadness at his leaving, smiled. "A star shall shine upon our meeting." He called out.

She smiled bravely, fighting against the tears welling up in her eyes. "And may it shine forever." She called back.

He smiled and led his patrol out. Looking every inch a Prince of Mirkwood. Confident in his own abilities and the abilities of those under him. His back was ramrod straight, his shoulders set and his head lifted.

Miriwen lifted her own head; she would not embarrass herself or Thalion by shedding tears. She quickly blinked back the tears. "May the Valar watch over you." She bit her lip, fighting the lump in her throat. "And bring you back to me safely."

She watched until they were but a speck even for elvish eyes, then taking a deep breath turned and walked back inside. She refused to look back, knowing her husband was out of sight, but in her heart she could still see his face. Still hear his voice. Still feel his touch. As she entered into the cavern she felt a wave of peace flow over her. She knew that Thalion would return. She just knew it.

Last night I had a crazy dream
A wish was granted just for me
It could be for anything

I didn't ask for money
Or a mansion by the view.
I simply wished for one more day with you.

One more day
One more time
One more sunset, baby
I'd be satisfied.

But then again
I know what it would do
Make wishing for
One more day with you.

(One more day - Diamond Rio)

*~*~*

Legolas lifted a brow at his Adoril. "You've got to be kidding right?"

Adoril shook his head.

"No 'ha ha'?" Legolas persisted.

Another negative shake.

"Please tell me you are joking." Legolas stated.

"Why should I when I'm not?" Adoril returned.

"Because." Legolas replied hotly. "I do not appreciate my friends or second in command for that fact, to say such things when they very well know that my older brother and the second crown prince have orders for me to follow. Not disobey."

Adoril looked taken aback at the quick response. "I did not suggest disobeying anyone." He replied just as hotly.

"Well that's how you said it." Legolas retorted.

"All I suggested was to send a couple of Elves with you or me and scout out the area around here." Adoril replied, frowning.

"And Thalion ordered us to stick together." Legolas said softly, suddenly aware of listening ears.

"I think it would be a good idea though, Legolas." Meldon said suddenly throwing an apologetic glance at his friend.

Legolas sighed, drawing out his map. There were hardly 3 days ride from the underground palace, and yet they wanted to jump the boundaries that Thalion had set for them. "Where would you suggest a scout?" He asked resignedly.

Eagerly Adoril leaned over. Stretching his fingers to brush against the paper. "We will most likely be camping here. With someone going ahead to where ever tonight."

"We will most likely reach the edge of the forest tomorrow." Legolas said contemplating Adoril's words. "Who would be in charge?" He asked suddenly.

Adoril leaned back. "You of course."

"Me?" Legolas asked incredulously. "Why me?"

"Because." Adoril dropped his voice lower. "They respect you as you, but you need to somehow help their respect for their prince."

Legolas looked startled. "And you think that the scout would do that."

"No." Adoril shook his head. "But I think that would help you get to know some of the Elves underneath you."

Legolas leaned back as he contemplated his second in command's words. True it would give him time alone to get to know a few elves at a time, rather than all at once. He glanced at Meldon, who nodded his agreement. Letting a small smile grace his features Legolas nodded his own agreement.

"Alright then!" Adoril said enthusiastically. "Pull out that map and we can figure where we are going to meet and where you are going to go."

*~*~*

It was quiet, eerily quiet. No birds sang, nothing moved in the dark forest. Even the sunlight seemed to grow darker as Thalion's patrol moved further and further South. The elves moved with a deadly grace to their designated spot. The flets would be in need of cleaning, and to make sure that no spiders dwelled near there.

They were but a day from their home now. They had ridden swiftly through the forest on paths that only elves knew of. It had saddened each elf to see the trees in such discord. As they rode south the trees became more and more twisted and bent out of shape. The song of Arda became twisted as the evilness of the forest tried to overwhelm them. Many felt as if someone had put a rag over their mouths and were threatening to suffocate them. They drew comfort on each other, each praying that someday Mirkwood would once more turn green.

Thalion quietly searched the trees, looking for the hidden flets. It had been almost one year since they had left their former home above ground. Though hardly a blink to elves, the trees and vines had covered many old paths and the flets.

"Prince Thalion."

Thalion turned around looking for the speaker. It was Telos, an experienced warrior that had fought in the Last Alliance of Men and Elves. He had many years of experience on Thalion; he even had years of experience on Thranduil. He had never wanted a position as a leader, but many looked to him when the battle lines were drawn.

"Yes Telos?" Thalion turned his full attention on the warrior.

Instead of answering, Telos nodded to a nearby tree. "There is one." He said simply.

Thalion nodded as he turned around, he saw no spider nests but one could never be sure. "Rumil. Celebren" The two elves stepped forward. "Make sure there are no spiders." Thalion ordered.

The two elves nodded and quickly climbed the tree. They were down in seconds. "It is clear Prince Thalion." Rumil said respectfully.

As Thalion climbed up, he could easily spot the flets surrounding him. He saw no spider nests or much of anything for that matter. He quickly spread the elves out on each flet; they would sleep here tonight and in the morning continue on. Into the very heart of Mirkwood.

*~*~*

Legolas felt a shiver of excitement race through his veins. Adoril and Meldon had arranged the various signs that Legolas would leave as he scouted out the area ahead of them. Being completely confident in Adoril's command, Legolas felt no unease leaving him in command. Both Adoril and Legolas had decided that four elves would accompany him. Though the entire group was on the same level, Legolas had known that the four he picked out had shown extraordinary quality with a bow and arrow.

Though it was completely dark out when Legolas and his four elves stopped, they could still see.

"Prince Legolas?"

Turning Legolas identified the younger elf. Edrahil, son of Ruien and Corein.

"Yes Edrahil?"

"Do feel as though something is watching us?" Edrahil's voice was low.

Legolas closed his eyes and listened to the winds gently twirling through the trees. He felt the hairs on his neck rise. He nodded; knowing Edrahil and the others could see his movements. Something was indeed watching them. He motioned them off of their horses, knowing it would be easier for one to slip off then if they were on the horses.

"Who?" Edrahil had easily caught onto the plan, and his voice could have easily been interpreted as the wind, so lightly it was spoken.

"We will all go." Legolas whispered back. "Stay on the path. Let the horses continue onward alone." He looked back to see the other elves nod in agreement.

He ducked suddenly and disappeared into the trees. The other's quickly followed his lead, each quickly disappearing into the trees. They quickly spread out, Legolas being ahead of the others by mere seconds, traveled the furthest around where they thought the thing was.

Their movements were silent as they moved into place. Legolas let out a shrill bird's cry and leapt forward. They all burst out into the open spot where there was.. Nothing there. Startled each warrior had an arrow out and was aiming into his fellow warrior's face. Each quickly jerked his weapon down.

"Spread out." Legolas hissed, taking his own advice and throwing himself back in the trees. He quickly began to thread his way around to the next warrior when, something slammed into his head and sent the prince into a long dark oblivion.

*~*~*

Thalion blinked quickly trying get moisture back into his eyes. Something or someone was out there. Watching them. Thalion shivered as he rose, pulling out his knives.

"Prince Thalion?" It was Anithrawyn, an elf born the same year as he.

"Yes Anithrawyn?"

"What exactly are you doing?" The words were spoken with not a small amount of perplexity.

Thalion jerked his head into the forest. "Something is out there, and I intend on finding what it is."

Anithrawyn laughed incredulously. "You mean, you a full Prince of Mirkwood, son of Thranduil and Second in Command of all the warriors in Mirkwood are going out alone?"

Thalion frowned. "Yes."

Another elf, Anarandil stepped up to them. "Are your truly serious Prince Thalion?"

Thalion sighed. "I thought I was serious. Maybe I'm not."

Another elf, Elaviel sat up, in his bedroll. "You can't be serious."

Thalion threw up his hands. "Ok, I'm not serious anymore. Anarandil and Anithrawyn will go out and see what it is."

The three elves grinned sheepishly at each other. Not exactly what they had thought the outcome would be, but when your prince orders you to do something, you do it.

The two elves shouldered their weapons, sheathed their knives and daggers and climbed down from the flet. Thalion watched their progress worriedly. He felt chilled suddenly, which worried him, because elves do not feel chill as a mortal would. He turned to Elaviel, "Do feel it?" He questioned softly.

Elaviel frowned. "Feel what, Prince Thalion?"

Thalion turned back to the forest. "Chilled."

Elaviel quickly stood. "No." He said cautiously approaching his prince.

Suddenly a shrill scream rent though the air. The evilness of the scream paralyzed almost everyone. Suddenly the woods became alive with arrows and torches.

"Orcs!!!!" Thalion yelled, throwing an arm back and quickly notching it.

Another shrill scream rent the air, the darkness of it throwing hands to ears to protected themselves against it.

As the torches seemed to burn brighter a single black horse appeared in a silhouette.

Thalion felt his blood grow cold. He had heard tales of these evil things. Neither living nor dead. An Ulaire!

*~*~*

Reviewer responses:
Daw the Minstrel: Hey Thanks! I am glad that Thalion and Miriwen are believable. I will be having more scenes with Lomion and his wife as well:-)

I'm glad that you like this story:-) It means so much to me that you are reading!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List