Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter.

A/N: Hey all! Sorry I am late with the next chapter. Had a really tough one hashing this out. I think I outdid myself on the first chapter and struggled to pick up with the next one. You’ll be seeing a lot of Legolas’ family as well as Legolas.  

Also this is a sequel to Let me be the One. But… You can read this one without reading the other one. But there will be some references to LMBTO but nothing you can’t figure out. I hope you enjoy this!

Thoughts and Fears

Chapter 2

Legolas’ long fingers twitched nervously against the flowing mane of his horse. It wasn’t the first time that Legolas had gone on this very trail or the first time that Legolas had been nervous. But it was the first time that Legolas was forced to deal with a rather disturbing nightmare and his friends curious gazes directed at him. Shoving his thoughts aside he reached back and grabbed the map sticking out of his pack.

They were supposed go along the edge of the Mirkwood forest until they reached the edge of the Grey Mountains, then go along the Grey Mountains ‘til they reached the Forest River then travel along the Forest River until they reached home. Legolas frowned. That would leave a lot of area uncovered. He traced along the Mirkwood border. They would leave the cover of Mirkwood for the open plains until the reached the Forest River.

“Adoril.” Legolas leaned over spreading the map so his second in command could see. He traced the route they were to take, quietly explaining Thalion’s orders.

Adoril nodded, examining the chosen course. It was well chosen. Carefully picked in fact. Thalion would have nothing but the safest for not only his little brother but for a patrol of young novices on their first time out. Looking up he caught a flash of something on Legolas’ face. “What?” He questioned softly.

Legolas looked up surprised. “What?” He echoed.

Adoril nodded, eyebrow raised. “What.” He stated smiling.

“What do you mean ‘what’?” Legolas asked, confused.

“What?” Adoril repeated.

“What’s, what?” Legolas asked, rolling up the map.

Adoril sighed. “What.” He clarified. “Is a matter with you?”

Legolas frowned, shoving the map back in his pack. “I didn’t know anything was wrong with me.”

Adoril glanced pointedly at his friend.

“What?” Legolas defended himself.

“I thought Estel cured of not telling anyone your fears.” Adoril countered.

Legolas looked startled. “What?”

“You heard me.” Adoril said crossly.

Legolas bit his lip. “I told Tasari.” He admitted honestly. 

Instantly Adoril’s face brightened. “Really?”

Legolas nodded, hesitantly.

“Good!” Adoril exclaimed, and then turned forward ignoring his prince completely. Leaving Legolas sitting with a confused and surprised expression on his face.

“That’s all you’re going to say?” Legolas clarified. “Good?”

Adoril nodded.

“No ‘tell me or else I tell Estel’?” Legolas pressed.

Adoril shook his head.

“Nothing?” Legolas continued.

Adoril thought for a moment. Then shook his head again. “Nope.”

Legolas was baffled. He drew back on his horse’s mane slightly.  “That’s it?” He asked incredulously.

Adoril turned toward him, grinning. “Yup.”

Legolas turned to Meldon, who shrugged.

Shrugging himself, Legolas drew out the map again.

*~*~*

They camped quietly that night by several tall trees. Though it was several weeks into fall and the colors of the leaves already turning, the elves had no need to start a fire. Each had a warm cloak to cover himself and a blanket if needed. There was plenty of Lembas and water. Unbeknownst to all but himself, Legolas also carried 2 flasks of Miruvor. 

It was a wine of sort that would refresh anyone who would take just a sip of it. Thalion had made sure that Legolas would have some with him, because it was known that accidents happen and with them going near a river anything could happen.

Legolas posted sentries, given the shifts and had settled down to sleep when a wail broke through the night.

It was short, piercing, and deafening and completely terrified every novice around. Each one that had been or almost asleep jerked upward immediately.

“By the Valar!” Meldon exclaimed. “What was that?”

Legolas stood up, holding his hands out in a calming gesture.

“I’m sure it wasn’t anything that we need worry about. Now everyone get back to what you were doing.” He ordered.

He waited ‘til they all had settled down before he himself settling down on his bedroll. Despite his seeming ease with the scream his heart was pounding with fear. What was the scream? Where had it come from? Why did the person scream in such agony?

With these chilling thoughts in his mind, he found that sleep would not come.

*~*~*

Thalion yawned as he sat up. He had been looking forward to going on patrol, but when he looked at his sleeping wife, something tugged him back. Reaching out he gently pushed back a stray lock of hair. His wife. That word meant so much, yet it was so small. She made him whole. Life without her was like a bow without an arrow. A tree without leaves.

She was the half that made him whole. She filled his life and at the same time emptied it. His weakness was her strength, her weakness was his strength, and together they could conquer the world.

She moved slightly as she woke. She blinked sleepily. “Thal?” She questioned her voice husky from sleep.

“Shhh.” Thalion soothed. “Go back to sleep. I need to go make sure everything is set for me to go.”

“Already?” Miriwen woke quickly, sitting up to embrace her husband.

“Yes.” Thalion said simply, enjoying his wife’s close touch.

“I wish you didn’t have to go.” Miriwen said softly, rubbing his back.

Thalion laughed softly. “So do I, but I must.”

There was a stretch of silence before Thalion quietly broke it. “Will you be ok?”

Miriwen smiled. “Of course. Why would I not be?”

Thalion rubbed her stomach, but didn’t say anything.

Miriwen brought her lips to his. “I’ll be more than fine, Thalion. Don’t worry.” She urged.

Thalion nodded, touching his lips to hers. “Completely sure?”

Miriwen pressed her forehead to his. “Yes.” She laid back down. “Go with my blessing, Thalion.”

Thalion nodded and got up. “I will be back, my love, before I leave.”

She nodded “I will be here.” She watched quietly as he dressed himself and strapped on his sword, bow, quiver and daggers, then opened the door and with a quick glance back, stepped out. A full Prince of Mirkwood. She sighed as she rolled over. “Valar protect and keep him.” She whispered.

*~*~*

Thalion quietly opened the door to the command room, not really surprised to his elder brother and father standing over a map. “Lomion. Ada.”  He greeted them.

Thranduil looked up with a smile. “Thalion.” He returned. 

Lomion grinned. “Thalion.”

“So.” Thalion quickly walked to the map. “What is agenda for today?”

“Well.” Thranduil quickly traced a route. “The orcs have been the most active in this area. Though we have yet to see any wargs, there are also several known nests of spiders there. I highly doubt that the spiders and orcs would work together, but I am not banishing that idea at all.” He straightened. “What we need to know, is how frequent there are orc patrols, if there are going to be wargs and where and how many nests of spiders have multiplied.”

He sighed, throwing down the ink stained feather. “And not get any casualties.”

Lomion and Thalion nodded in agreement.

“I don’t need any elves killed or hurt.” Thranduil said quietly. “We are but a year living in this underground realm.  We are still hidden from the enemy and we need to use that to our advantage.”

Thalion nodded. “How do we do that?” He questioned.

Lomion pointed to several marked spots. “We have several flets in each spot. There are still there and it is easy to move from spot to spot. The orcs wouldn’t know of such things and it would be easy to spy on them from there. They are a safe distance from the reported spider nests so I don’t think that we would have any trouble with that. However the nests were growing rather rapidly when we left the palace so it could be possible that the spiders have overcome the flets.”

Thalion nodded slowly. He knew exactly where each flet was, and his mind rapidly mapped the paths to take.

Thranduil studied him carefully. “Are you sure you’re up to this?” He questioned softly.

Startled Thalion looked up, meeting his Adar’s gaze. “Yes.” He said simply. He frowned suddenly. “Why do you ask?”

Thranduil smiled. “Miriwen.” He replied. 

Thalion blushed. “And?”

Lomion laughed. “’It's no mistaking you adore her so utterly that an horde of orcs could sneak on you, without you noticing.”

Thalion frowned. “That isn’t…” He started but was abruptly cut off.

“That is true.” Thranduil said with a smile. “Are you worried about her?”

Thalion nodded, sighing. “Yes, I am. It is the first time I’ll be away from her for more than one month. What if something happens? What if orcs come? What if…”

Thranduil gently tugged on his blonde hair. “Miriwen will be fine. Neither Lomion nor I will let any danger come to her. I swear.”

"As do I.” Lomion said solemnly.

Thalion nodded, letting his heart find peace in their words. “Is that all?” He questioned.

Thranduil nodded. “Why?”

Thalion grinned. “I need to say goodbye to my wife.”

*~*~*

Legolas stretched, looking very much like a sleepy cat woken from a nap in the sunlight. The night had passed without incident much to Legolas’ relief, but he had a nagging feeling in the back of his mind. Like he was forgetting something, or something was about to happen.

He shook off the heavy feeling as Adoril approached him.

“Which path are we taking?” Adoril questioned.

Legolas showed him. “Thalion said that this path might be easier on the horses and we’ll be able to see through the trees a little bit better.” He pointed along a path, unmarked on the map.  “Thalion also said that there have been recent Easterling movements in this area. But since we are skirting around there, he said that he doubted that we would happen to run into them.” Legolas smiled grimly.

Adoril grinned. “Wouldn’t that be fun?”

Legolas shook his head in mock disapproval. “Is that anyway to act in front of the novices?”

Adoril grinned. “Well, I can only hope.”

Legolas laughed. “I’m sure.” He sobered. “Thalion also said that if do happen to run into the Easterlings that we are to take down everything about their camp. Supplies, men, tents, the whole works.”

“Well.” Adoril said in a mock solemn tone of voice. “I guess if that’s what you call fun.” He laughed, Legolas joining in.

“What are you laughing at now?” 

The two elves turned to see Meldon, leaning against a tree arms folded across his chest. 

“Do you really want to know?” Adoril asked a grin pasted on his face.

Meldon looked at his prince and second in command.  Both had a grin on their faces that spoke of something that Meldon didn’t really want to be a part of. Even though he had no idea what that ‘something’ was. He had too many past experiences when they all ended up in the infirmary. “On second thought.” Meldon grinned. “I take that back. When are we leaving?”

Legolas laughed. “Chicken.”

Meldon raised his hands in self-defense. “What?”  

They circled him, like two fox’s hunting a hen. “Too scared?” Adoril jested.

“No.” Meldon defended himself. “I just don’t want to end up in the infirmary.”

“Really?” Legolas raised an eyebrow.

“Yes.” Meldon pushed himself off the tree. “I doubt that your father really wants to see you back in the infirmary writhing on the bed in pain.” He finished seriously, looking at Legolas.

“I don’t writhe around in pain.” Legolas said indignantly.

“Sure.” Meldon nodded. “I believe you. Like that time when you forgot to tell the healers about the arrowhead in your shoulder and they had to cut it open to get it out.”

“I wasn’t writhing.” Legolas defended himself.

“And the time when you ‘accidentally’ forgot that the knife used to cut you had poison on and they had to pour human's beer on it just to clean it out!”

“That little thing?”

“And what about the time when that arrow broke off into your arm!”

“That little splinter?”

“That little splinter was almost ten inches long Legolas!”

“No it wasn’t.”

“Oh yes it was.”

Legolas shrugged, Adoril laughed and Meldon rolled his eyes. 

“It wasn’t a splinter!”

“Define splinter.”

Reveiwer responses:

Hey Daw: Thanks for the reveiw. After your reveiw I had to write this chapter lol. I changed (again) the plot line.  You'll be seeing a bit more of Thalion than I had planned. I hope you like it! Thanks!

Aly: Hey thanks! Yeah, my grammer stinks, but I have been trying to fine tooth comb it, but my mom says that I miss a lot :-\ Oh well, I have to find a beta-reader. Hope you like it!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List