Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter.

A/N Well, here it is. It is rather long so have plenty of time before you start on this one. It might take two weeks before I will post the next chapter. I am still sorting everything out, but I hope you enjoy!

There is some implied stuff between a married couple. But nothing too serious:-)

The Patrol

Legolas tugged impatiently at the chains binding his hands together. He could sense the other elves frustration as they helplessly watched their prince led out from the tent. He automatically straightened, his shoulders back, chin up, and back stiff. He would take whatever they gave him without a sound.

"Still so proud." The Easterling sneered.

Legolas ignored him, and gazed around at the circle imperiously, though fear threatened to turn his stomach into butterflies. What was happening? What was going on?

A backhand threw the prince to the ground. With his hand bound behind him and his feet also bound, he couldn't easily get up. He was roughly jerked up and pushed forward into a pole stuck in the ground.

"You would still be so proud and unyielding now?"

A sharp crack in the morning air, and the sudden flinch of pain was all that told of the snapped arm.

"No?"

Another crack rent through the air. The was a small almost inaudible gasp from the prince. The Elves watching flinched. Many having to look away at the horrible sight.

The Easterling gazed down at the silently suffering prince.

"You are too proud for your own good." He said as his huge hands took the prince's leg in his hand and with another snap, the limb was rendered useless.

Legolas breath hitched, as he started to hyperventilate, still forcing the screams back.

The Easterling laughed mockingly as his hand gripped the other leg. "Scream." He said almost casually as is he was talking about the weather.

Legolas stared into the Easterling's empty gaze.

"No." He ground out between clenched teeth.

The Easterling smiled.

'Snap.'

Legolas' back arched in agony, as his other leg was broken.

The Easterling rolled the trembling prince on his stomach, as he motioned for a whip. "All you have to do is scream." He said causally testing the leather on the whip.

"No." Legolas gasped.

The Easterling shrugged. "Very well." Testing the leather once more he brought the whip down upon the prince's back.

Legolas bit his lip as pain spread throughout his body. His arms and legs were broken and his back would soon be a bloody mass of flesh. He looked up suddenly spotting his second in command, Adoril through the Easterling's. Legolas could easily read the distress in Adoril's eyes, his wanting to save his prince from such torture. Legolas shook his head imperceptibly; he would not risk his patrol to save his life, not when the lives of the others would only serve as shields.

Adoril slowly nodded, a single tear slipping from his eye and down his cheek. He would respect his prince's wishes, even if he completely disagreed with them. He forced himself to keep watching as his beloved Prince and friend, was whipped senseless and then dragged away.

"Soon." Adoril whispered. His hand clenched. "Soon."

*~*~*

Legolas woke with a jerk, his breath coming in gasps. He quickly felt his arms and legs checking each limb to make sure it was still intact.

The dream or rather nightmare had been so real. So life-like. He could have sworn he could have felt his bones snapping. And that laugh. He shuddered as he allowed himself to relax and with a sigh lay back down.

Dawn would not come for at least a couple of hours. Though there were no windows or anyway to tell time, Legolas instinctively knew exactly when the sun was up or when it was still peeking over the horizon.

He rolled over on his stomach a pillow cushioning his chin.

What did the nightmare mean? Did it tell of what would happen? Would it be something so horrendous? Why would he have such a dream anyway? Did it have anything to do with the patrol he was to lead out today?

He sighed again laying his head down on the pillow. It was still to early to talk to his ada and he wouldn't dare intrude upon Lomion and Thalion, both of whom were married. Lothgil wouldn't understand, but Tasari..

Legolas sat up. Tasari. Of course. He would probably understand. He pushed back the covers, he figured since he had on a shirt and leggings he wouldn't need his robe. After all he would just be walking down the corridor. And Tasari wouldn't care anyway.

After a moments hesitation Legolas slipped out his door and headed to Tasari's room. Since they no longer lived in a place where windows also served as means of escape Thranduil was able to post less sentries at night. Giving the married sentries time at home that they had not previously had.

Legolas grinned as he passed the unguarded doors. How easy it would be to play a trick on Tasari. He wouldn't dare even think about playing a trick on Lomion or Thalion. They were married. They didn't know how to have fun anymore, and besides, the cold bucket water or flour might land on Lainiel (Lomion's wife) or Miriwen (Thalion's wife). If that happened. Legolas shuddered. Lomion or Thalion would slowly kill him or something horrid.

He wrinkled his nose. He had yet to find out what was so wonderful about kissing and holding hands and all that mush. Girls were a mystery. But then again, his ada had expressly forbidden any and all interaction with any females his age or younger than him. When asked Thranduil had only said, "When the time is right." And left it off at that. Legolas shrugged, oh well. He'd rather be on patrols then with a girl.

As he quietly knocked on Tasari's door, Legolas drew his thoughts together. A muffled moan caught his attention and he cautiously opened the door.

"Tasari?" He whispered.

"Hmmm?" Tasari forced himself to stay awake. He had trained several horses the previous day and on of the mares started to foal but it took nearly 4 hours for them to get the feet out and in the end they had lost the foal and it had drained him, emotionally as well as physically. He had a special connection with animals and to see one in pain hurt him as well.

"Can I talk to you?" Legolas asked tentatively.

Tasari shook his head trying to rid the last of the sleep off, knowing his little brother needed him.

"Sure, come in." Tasari invited waving a hand on his bed. He blinked his eyes rapidly to get moisture back in his eyes. "What's a matter?" He asked quietly.

Legolas bit his lip as he sat down. "I had a nightmare." He began and proceeded to tell Tasari all about his nightmare and his curiosity as to why he would have such a dream.

Tasari leaned back, rather surprised at the realness of Legolas' dream. He himself had had many a dream but nothing compared to Legolas'. He absently twirled a lock of hair between his fingers as he thought.

"I don't know." He finally confessed. "It would seem to be a warning of the patrol you are going to take out today." He frowned. "I think we should wake ada." He said quietly

Legolas bit back a sigh; he had been hoping that Tasari would have the answers without having to wake ada. He nodded in agreement and they both stood.

Tasari could easily see that the nightmare weighed heavily on his little brother's mind and reaching out he slung an arm over the other's shoulders.

"Don't worry." He comforted. "Ada will have the answers."

Legolas gave a weak smile, he hoped so anyway.

As they stood at their Ada's bedroom door, Legolas was suddenly plagued with guilt. What was he doing? Ada already had so much on his mind. The patrols, reports, sending messages out to tell everyone of their move. The last thing he needed was a probable trivial nightmare that scared him.

He seized Tasari's hand before he could know. "Don't." Legolas said, biting his lip.

"What?" Tasari raised an eyebrow, puzzled.

"Don't tell ada, he'll just worry. Besides" Legolas spoke with false bravado. "I'm sure it's just my own nervousness and fears." He shrugged. "It's probably of my own making and nothing will come of it."

"Legolas." Tasari hesitated. "I think we should tell ada about it."

"He'll just worry." Legolas pleaded. "He worries enough without me having to worry him more."

"Well." Tasari gnawed his lower lip, thinking the argument over. "He does worry a lot." He said hesitantly.

Legolas eagerly nodded in agreement. "Please Tasari, just keep it to yourself. I doubt it is anything to worry about."

Tasari sighed. "Are you sure?" He asked quietly, placing both hands on Legolas' shoulders and gazed into the blue-gray ones.

"Yes." There was a note of finality in Legolas' voice.

Tasari nodded. "Alright." He agreed.

Legolas smiled in relief.

. "Now." Tasari commanded. "Go back to bed, there are still a couple more hours yet before dawn."

Legolas nodded, turned away, hesitated then turned back. "Thanks Tas."

Tasari smiled at the childhood nickname, as he paused beside his bedroom door. "You're welcome Las'."

*~*~*

Lainiel blinked waking quickly. She had heard soft voices in the corridor and easily identified Legolas and Tasari. She frowned when she heard. "Just keep it to yourself."

For a moment she considered waking her husband up but having heard a finality in Legolas' voice, relaxed. Legolas was no longer an elfling, he could take care of himself.

She turned to look at her husband. Lomion Thranduillion. Proud warrior. First born son of King Thranduil. Crown prince of Mirkwood. And a complete fool when it came to her.

With a mischievous grin, she rolled over and playfully bit his shoulder.

He woke with a start and quickly turned to her. "What was that for?" He growled.

Lainiel laughed softly, reaching her arms around her husband's neck pulling them into a close embrace. "You've been working to hard." She whispered.

Their lips met quickly.

"Have I been?" Lomion questioned, and then quickly pressed his lips to hers again.

Lainiel smiled. "Yes."

"Well then." Lomion pressed his forehead to hers. "Do you know of anyone that could remedy that?"

Lainiel laughed.

*~*~*

Legolas fidgeted nervously in his chair. They were all waiting for Lomion and Lainiel to arrive for breakfast.

He had been unable get back to sleep after his terrifying dream. His long slender finger towed with the rim of his glass as he thought about the nightmare. He had decided that only he and Tasari would know of it. The others were too busy to deal with a probably insignificant dream.

The door opened quickly revealing the crown prince and his wife.

"Sorry we are late, Adar." Lomion apologized, seating Lainiel and then himself.

"I'm rather surprised that you are hungry at all." Thranduil said with a dry yet humorous tone, watching the blushes quickly appear on both faces.

Thalion laughed as he and Miriwen exchanged glances. They knew exactly what their ada was speaking about.

Tasari, Lothgil and Legolas blushed. Each sensing the conversation meant more than what was actually said.

"Are you still going to visit your mother today?" Thranduil asked as the food arrived.

Miriwen smiled. "Yes." She risked a glance at Thalion, who gave an almost imperceptible shake of his head, before continuing. "There are some questions that I would like answered."

Thranduil nodded, as he dished some fruit onto his plate. "I hope they are answered." He said sincerely.

Lomion raised his eyebrows as he looked at his youngest brother. His mind was wandering again.

"Are you prepared for the patrol today, Legolas?" He asked purposely.

"Yes."

Lomion was slightly taken aback at the quick answer. It seemed that Legolas' mind wasn't so far away after all.

Lomion continued to watch Legolas toy with his food, taking a few bites here and there, but mainly just pushing it around. At first Lomion thought it was just nerves, but immediately dismissed the idea. He seriously doubted that Legolas was nervous. It was something that went deeper.

He caught Tasari's worried gaze directed at Legolas, who immediately shook his head.

Lomion frowned piecing the picture together. Something was troubling Legolas and Tasari knew what it was. But most likely once confronted both would deny anything.

His heart twisted as he remembered all the times that Legolas had opened his heart to him. But ever since he had gotten married, Legolas had back off and rarely would go to him. He didn't know if it was because he was married or the fact that Legolas was growing older and was starting to realize the complications of running and controlling a palace and didn't want to bother him, Thalion or ada.

As he sorted his thoughts, Lomion resolved to speak with his youngest brother before he left.

*~*~*

Two golden haired heads bent over a clear drawn map of Mirkwood. A slender finger pointed along the Grey Mountains.

"I want you to go along the Grey Mountains this time, Legolas, and then come back along the Forrest River." Thalion hesitated. "This should be a routine patrol, but be on your guard. There have been several reports that some Easterling's have started to move down off the Mountains to the south."

Legolas straightened, "Do you really think that there would be any around here?" Legolas asked, his eyes still fixed on the map.

Thalion straightened as well, tossing the ink stained quill on the large table full of open and closed maps. "I doubt it, but one never knows, and for one to presume as such would be foolish indeed. For even the wisest of wizard can clearly see the future."

Legolas grinned slyly. "Better not tell that to Gandalf then huh?"

Thalion shook his head at the joke, suppressing a smile.

The door opened turning both elves to the entrance.

"Prince Legolas?"

It was Adoril, Legolas' second in command. Adoril and Meldon had both personally asked Prince Thalion to be part of Legolas' archer patrol, who in turn, knowing that Legolas' friends would help protect him all the more, agreed.

"Yes Adoril?"

"Everyone is ready." Adoril's voice was calm, not betraying any nervousness that he might have felt, this being the first time that the three of them would be alone with 24 novices. All the other times had been though led by Legolas, had always had someone experienced with many battles with orcs, goblins, wargs, and many other evil creatures, had been along. Either to point out something wrong or just to be there to make sure that it anything went wrong.

Legolas nodded. "I'll be right there."

Adoril nodded and shut the door behind him, leaving the two princes alone again in the room.

Legolas sighed, his hands busy rolling up the map that was needed.

Thalion caught a glimpse of unease in Legolas. Curious he decided to seek out the unease and hopefully relieve it.

"What is it Legolas?" He asked gently.

Legolas frowned, puzzled at the question. "What is what?"

"Why are you uneasy? Do you want a warrior to go with you again?"

Legolas shook his head "No." He bit his lip as he tried to sort out his feelings. "I feel as though something is going to happen."

Worried Thalion questioned "Something bad?"

Legolas shrugged. "I don't know, but I am prepared as much as I can be."

Thalion hesitated, struggling between his feelings on wanting to continue to press Legolas to see if he could find out more on his younger brother's unease, but he knew that the patrol was eager to be off. "Just." Thalion sighed. "Just be careful. I don't want anything to happen to you again."

Legolas smiled albeit weakly. "I'll try."

Thalion nodded. "The patrol will probably take a couple of weeks, because I want you to go to the edge of the mountains instead of just the forest." He said walking towards the door with Legolas by his side. "If you take the shortest route it would possibly take a week and a half, but I want you to make sure to check every hiding place you can think of. Don't worry about being gone so long, I've already alerted Ada and the novice's parents. If there is trouble, make sure to send a rider back immediately."

Legolas nodded solemnly, tucking away the advice carefully. Just before they exited the underground realm Thalion turned to Legolas. "I will see in you in three months time."

" Three months?" Legolas echoed surprised.

"Yes, I am taking a patrol out tomorrow to the southern edge." Thalion said quietly. "There have been several movements reported and I need to check on it, three months is the latest I'll be home."

Legolas nodded. "Be careful." He requested.

Thalion hid a grin as he embraced his younger sibling. Now that Legolas was more involved in the realm, he understood with a clearer vision how endangered the woods and elves of Mirkwood were. "I will if you will." He said pulling back.

They clasped arms in warrior fashion, each grinning at each other, then turned away, each having his own

As they both turned, each to go his own way, Thalion couldn't help but look back. He had a sudden feeling that Legolas wouldn't be the same when he returned.

*~*~*~*

Legolas easily mounted his horse. As with all elves, the horses wore no saddle or bridle. The supplies were on the back of the elves themselves, each, including Legolas taking his own share for the possible two-week trip. Each had a bow and quiver strapped to his back along with either two or three knives in plain sight and usually one or two hidden from sight. There were plenty of lembas and they would refresh the water when necessary.

Legolas looked back at his troops. They were all young and had never before been gone so long from their home. But since it was just a normal routine patrol with little to no danger the king was a little less worried over them than he would the south patrol.

Legolas tucked his thoughts away for later as he glanced at Adoril and Meldon. They both nodded seeing that he was ready to take off.

With an unconscious straitening of his shoulders, and stiffening of his back, he called them to attention and rode out, completely oblivious of his ada and siblings watching him.

Thranduil smiled sadly as he watched his golden haired son ride off into the vast Mirkwood forest. How many times had he watched patrols leave? How many times had he feared for the lives of his sons? How many times had he been forced to watch his sons and patrol members come back with grievous wounds? Lifting up a silent prayer to the Valar, he could only pray that Legolas would come back to him. In one piece, with no wounds and safe.

Lomion silently cursed as he watched Legolas ride off. He had not been able to speak with Legolas and he hoped that he could have. He prayed that everything would go well.

List of characters:

Thranduil, King of Mirkwood

Lomion, Crown Prince, First son of Thranduil. Married to Lainiel.

Loriel, Gone to the Valinor. First daughter of Thranduil. Married Galador of Dol Amroth.

Thalion, Second in Command of all warriors, Second son of Thranduil. Married to Miriwen.

Tasari, Stable Master, Third son of Thranduil.

Lothgil, in charge of the palace duties.  Second daughter of Thranduil.

Legolas, in charge of the archers patrol in the North. Fourth son of Thranduil.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List