Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Glimpses of Middle-earth  by Linda Hoyland

B2MeM Challenge - Love in M-e- A mother's love
Format: triple drabble

Genre: General, family
Rating: PG

Warnings: none

Characters: Gilraen, Ivorwen, Aragorn

Pairings: Arathorn/ Gilraen

Summary: Gilraen contemplates her new born son

In loving memory MJM

These characters all belong to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.

My mother wraps the babe in a blanket and places him in my arms.

"You have a fine son, Gilraen," she says. "I am so proud of you, my brave girl."

She kisses my forehead and I see tears in her eyes. She rubs them and looks away."

I clutch my baby nervously. He looks so tiny and fragile. What if I drop him?

I pull aside the blanket a little and study my son. He has ten tiny fingers and ten tiny toes, a long body, and a shock of dark hair. His face is red and crumpled, just like my sister's babe was when he was born. He opens his eyes and looks at me, while one tiny fist clutches at my finger.

I am seized with such a surge of overwhelming love that it almost takes my breath away. This babe is surely the fairest creature upon Arda! Not even an Elven child could surpass his beauty! This is my child, my son, flesh of my flesh, bone of my bone and heart of my heart. I must live now for my son, protect him from all perils. I would gladly die for him, even kill for him!

He whimpers and I know at once that he is hungry. I offer him my breast and he suckles eagerly.

My mother smiles at me. "You are a natural mother," she says. "Today, new hope has been born to our people."

I gaze on my babe's innocent, contented face. Will my mother's foresight come to pass? Is my son destined for some great future? Or will he be as quickly forgotten as the other Chieftains of the Dúnedain, their names recalled only in fireside tales? I know one thing only, he will never be wanting for a mother's love.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List