Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Road Goes Ever On  by Little Mouse

Challenge: Ironmongery

Prompt: Bolt

A continuation of the adventures of the twins...

Refuge

            Elros got the thick bolt in place just before the beast hit the cellar door.

            Elrond quickly dismantled some old shelves to get to their upright supports. “Help me get them under the door, Ro,” he called. Together they wrestled the heavy timbers into place, bracing the ancient entry.

            They stood silent a moment, panting hard and watching the door shudder with each warg’s blow. “Where’s Cirdan?” Elros asked.

            Elrond concentrated. “Too far away. They’ll break through before he can get here.”

            Elros scanned the dirt walls. “Then we’ll just have to find another way out,” he said grimly.

 

Thousands of years later…

            “We can’t stay here. They’ll catch our scent.”

            “I know, I know,” Elladan muttered, his grey eyes scanning the landscape for a sturdier refuge. He spotted an abandoned stone farmhouse. “There,” he pointed.

            Elrohir peered between branches. “Will that door hold?”

            Before Elladan answered, they both heard a familiar voice in their minds. We’re coming. Elladan’s lips flattened into a grim line. “We’ll make it hold.”

            They jumped from the pine and ran. A cry went up behind them. They gained the entry and slammed the door shut, throwing the bolt just as the lead warg hit the timbers.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List