Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Road Goes Ever On  by Little Mouse

Challenge: Bogey-stories

Prompt: Goblin

When writing these drabbles, I started with Elladan and Elrohir, but Elrond insisted that he had a similar story to be told, so this is not so much a double drabble as it is parallel drabbles. 

Retreat

            “I can’t keep this up, El! They’ll run us down!”

            “There! Into the trees, Ro!”

            The twins raced for a stand of pines nearly a league distant. The sounds of pursuit added speed to their already aching limbs.

            Elros leaped for the nearest branch, some ten feet from the ground. Elrond was right behind him. The tree shifted and whispered to them, promising what protection it could give. Elrond placed a hand on the trunk in gratitude.

            The goblins could dimly be seen atop the far ridge. Despite the tree’s assistance, it would not be long before they were spotted.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

            Running straight for Anor, the twins leapt over a rocky outcropping and hunkered down. “We cannot keep this up,” Elrohir panted. “There are too many of them. They’ll run us down.”

            Elladan nodded, silently searching the rugged landscape. A single pine caught his attention. He turned to peer over the rock. “Goblin’s pursue in daylight, but their pets don’t appreciate her touch. Run straight east, then break for that pine,” he pointed, “ and hope to Eru that it blinds them long enough.” Elrohir nodded, ready to run. “Now!” Elladan cried, and they took off like arrows from the string.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List