Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Enigmas- The Life and Love of Linwe and Frodo  by MysteriousWays

Authors note- my thanks to Pearl Took for allowing me to borrow the wedding ceremony from "Peregrin and Diamond" I lovely heart warming story that I highly recommend. In my interpretation of the ceremony the Hobbit officiating speaks on behalf of the Hobbit community as a whole, including those living in Buckland, Bree, as well as the Shire. I realize that this does not precisely match the social and political structure of the Shire, as described by Tolkien. I take these liberties with consideration and respect for what is cannon.

 

Chapter Twenty-five

 

"I would say that covers everything on our list," said Esmeralda looking down at a piece of paper on the table before her. Rosie and Esmeralda sat together going over the arrangements for Frodo and Linwe’s wedding. "I have helped to plan quit a few weddings in my time, but never one on such short notice."

"All things considered, I think it is best that this one is coming about so quickly. I don’t think it is safe to leave Frodo and Linwe to wait much longer than this. Things can change so swiftly with those two, when they set their minds to it."

"So I have noticed. Rosie, what happened? Las time I saw Frodo and Linwe was at your wedding which was not quite two months ago. Frodo did nothing but stare at her all day and evening. Merry and Pippin visited just a little over two weeks ago. They came home reporting that things with Frodo and Linwe were still the same as they ever were. What happened to change things so quickly? I tried talking to both of them about it and neither of them will say all that much. Both of them blushed bright red and muttered something about having just had a good long talk."

Rosie chuckled and blushed a bit herself, "I am sure talking played a part in it. At least that is what Linwe told me. I suppose the started off talking, but at some point things went beyond that."

"Rosie, you are trying my patience, now speak plainly. What happened?"

"It was seven days ago, or maybe it was only six, depending what time of the night all of this came about. Linwe said she woke up to use the privy, while she was up she noticed light coming from beneath Frodo’s bedroom door. She said she went to his room to see if there was anything she could do for him. He did not answer her knock so she let herself into the room. She said he was asleep in a chair by the fire so she woke him up to send him off to bed. This is where she gets quit vague in what she told me. All she would tell me was that they ended up talking. However it did not stop with talking. The following morning, Sam went to Frodo’s room to wake him up. When Sam walked in he found Frodo and Linwe sound asleep in one another’s arms. Judging by what little Sam could see they were also apparently not wearing a stitch of clothing."

"Oh my! Oh dear!" Said Esmeralda in amazement. "I must say that I did not expect that."

"Neither did Sam." Said Rosie smiling mischievously.

"Poor Sam, that must have been a terrible shock."

"Indeed it was, I don’t think I have ever seen him so angry, and what was even more amazing was that he was actually angry with Frodo. I did not even think that was possible."

"I take it Sam held Frodo responsible for what happened?"

"Oh yes!" Exclaimed Rosie. "Sam would have been exceedingly disappointed to find Frodo in that situation with anyone at all. But to find Frodo in that situation with Linwe was too much. Sam loved Linwe first because she is a relation that it is clear he and Frodo both share. He has since come to love her for herself as well, but the family ties have given Linwe a special place in Sam’s heart. Then there is the fact that Sam has this notion that in such matters it is a lad’s responsibility to see that matters do not go beyond a certain point with a lass. You put all of that together and you can see that in Sam’s mind Frodo committed a transgression that could only have been worse if it were Sam’s sister instead of Linwe.

"I can understand Sam’s point of view. You however don’t appear to be disturbed by this."

"No, I’m not. Not entirely anyway. I have had plenty of time to get to know Linwe. For all of her shy quiet ways, she can be assertive when she feels the need. I think Linwe was just as responsible for what ever happened if not more so. I think Linwe saw an opportunity to make Frodo understand a thing or two and she took it. Since the two of them have finally reached a point of showing some sense then I am glad what ever happen did happen."

Esmeralda laughed "I am afraid that I have to agree with you. Like Linwe, Frodo’s gentle exterior hides the core of a very determined lad. If Frodo was set on not acknowledging his feelings even to himself then it would have taken bold action on Linwe’s part to make him see things differently."

 

~~~~~

Linwe sat nibbling on a scone as Merenwen fixed her hair. Linwe had decided to wear a crown of ivy and flowers as she had for Rosie’s wedding, but this time she would have ivy entwined with her hair instead of ribbons and white flowers to match her gown. A small yawn escaped her, she had barely been able to sleep the night before, in fact she had not slept much at all that week. "I can hardly believe it." She mused. " I can hardly believe that I am actually getting married."

Merenwen smiled as she wound a lock of hair around a strand of ivy. "Your parents would hardly believe it either. You caused them considerable worry with your lack of interest in suitors."

"I know I was a dreadful child. I wish they were here now, I think they would agree that Frodo is well worth the wait."

"I believe you are right. Frodo is a fine Gentle Hobbit. I don’t think Lila and Marmadas could have asked for a better match for you."

Linwe said nothing in response to this. The mention of her parents brought on a wave of sadness and loneliness. She thought that if her mother were here with her, she would allow Lila to put her hair up in all of the dreadful hairpins and things. She wished her father were there to escort her to the wedding and give his and her mother’s blessing on the union. These lonely thoughts lead to her remembering that a time may soon come when Frodo may have to leave her as well. "Do you think Frodo will be able to stay here, rather than go to the Grey Havens?"

"Lord Elrond feels that it is possible, it is what he hopes for. Going into the West would take Frodo away from Middle Earth so that he would not be so deeply haunted by the poisons that still linger within him and that add to the torment of his memories of the ring. However to go with the Elves would mean leaving almost all that he knows behind. If the two of you had not met then fallen in love, he would still have to give up the companionship of Sam, Merry and Pippin as well as the familiar comfort of his home and the Shire."

"Why am I not allowed to go with Frodo?" Linwe asked quietly.

"I believe, that at this time, you are being denied this passage, for the very same reasons Lord Elrond hopes that Frodo will find the peace in his heart to stay."

Linwe thought about this for a moment then said. "Do you know what I think? I think there is something you are not telling me, about all of this."

"You always were too clever of a child. There may very well be far more than what I have told you, but I assure you that I have told you all that you need to know at this time."

"So there is more that you will tell me, later?"

"If there is a need for you to know," said Merenwen with a hint of a smile.

 

~~~~~

Frodo sat patiently as Sam painstakingly trimmed his hair. Personally, Frodo felt that he looked fine, but he knew it was better to let Sam make the fuss. As Sam clipped minuscule bits from Frodo’s locks he let his thoughts wander. Thanks to his talk with Merenwen, the evening before, he was feeling more confident about going ahead with marrying Linwe, but there was one last little thing still bothering him. "You know Sam, I have not hardly the faintest idea of how to be a good husband."

"You shouldn’t worry, Mr. Frodo, you will be just fine."

"I wish I had your confidence. This is all happening so fast. I think I have just muddled everything from the first moment I saw her."

"I would not say that you have muddled everything, just some of it," said Sam with a smile. "Your just nervous. All grooms are nervous on their wedding day."

"Surely you were not nervous the day you married Rosie. I could not imagine you being in the least bit nervous a single day of your life." Frodo teased.

"Now, I am just trying to be of help here. There is no call for you sassing me," said Sam indignantly.

"I know, and I appreciate it. You are right, I am sure a lot of this is just wedding day nerves, but there is more to it than that. It is the same problem that I had with the matter of courting. I’ve never given any of this serious consideration. If the thought occurred to me I quickly brushed the thought aside to consider later. "

"It seems to me, Frodo, you have had quit a lot getting in the way of your learning about these things in life that the rest of us sort of take for granted. First there was losing your parents, the two people who should have been giving you your first lessons in such matters. Then you moved in with Mr. Bilbo. You know I love him dearly, but a bachelor is not exactly the best sort to be teaching a young lad about courtship and such. Then there was the ring. Mr. Bilbo never aged the entire time he had it. It was given to you at just about the time you should have been starting to think of settling. You did not age in looks the entire time you carried it, maybe in mind you didn’t age either. Maybe you have spent the last near twenty years, with the heart of a lad just coming to the end of his tweens. What ever the reason for it, I don’t think you really need worry so much. Yes, this has all come about in a rather backwards way, but the important thing is that you love Linwe, she loves you, and together you will figure it all out."

"You make it all sound so very simple."

"It is simple, I am willing to bet that you will find loving Linwe to be far easier than all of this time you have spent trying to tell yourself that you don’t love her like you do."

 

~~~~~

Linwe sat alone in Merenwen’s room. Merenwen and Rosie had slipped out a little while before, to go to the wedding. Linwe was waiting for Sam to arrive to escort her to the wedding; they were to be the last to arrive. Linwe’s thoughts were restless. She was nervous about the wedding, nervous about being married. She missed her mother and father and couldn’t help but think how pleased they would be with Frodo. A quiet knock on the door interrupted her thoughts. Linwe stood up and walked across the room to open the door, there on the other side stood Sam. Linwe smiled, "Good morning, Sam."

Sam just stood there for a moment looking at Linwe, his eyes wide. "How I could have a cousin as beautiful as you, is a mystery to me."

"Oh Sam!" Linwe blushed.

"And Frodo is right, you do have a very pretty blush."

"Now you are just teasing me." Said Linwe indignantly.

"I am only speaking the truth. Now if you are ready, I think the only Hobbit in all the world worthy enough, is waiting to marry you, shall we go?" Sam held his arm out for Linwe. And the two headed down the deserted passage, then out the door into the bright June day. Close to the seldom-used entranceway, stood a dappled gray pony. Its coat shining in the sun from a thorough grooming and it’s main plaited and tied with white and silver ribbons to match Linwe’s gown. Sam assisted Linwe onto the sidesaddle, when he was sure that she was well settled he took the pony’s lead rope and they set off.

 

~~~~~

It was a happy expectant group that waited in a small clearing, for the arrival of Sam and Linwe. The clearing was one that had previously been known only to Merry and Pippin. There were no obvious paths that lead to it, so everyone felt fairly certain that no wondering Hobbits would happen to stumble across the wedding party. Merenwen prepared her gift for Linwe and Frodo, while everyone waited for Linwe to arrive. Earlier that morning Merry and Pippin had gathered fallen branches from around the forest, then using vines to tie them together had erected a somewhat crude four sided trellis with a sort of roof. Merenwen had collected cuttings of a variety of climbing flowers then planted these at the base of the trellis next to the supporting branches. Whispering in Elvish she encouraged the flowers to grow and climb until they soon had a flower covered pavilion with open sides. Merenwen decided to add one final touch to her work, she sang out in syllables that sounded like the ringing of wind chimes, soon a rainbow of butterflies came flitting from all directions coming to rest on the pavilion a touch of ever moving color.

Soon after a rustling could be heard in the trees, everyone turned towards the sound. Not far off under the canopy of trees was Sam, walking with his head held high and his face glowing with joyful pride as he lead the silvery dappled pony that bore Linwe. No one spoke as the watched the arrival of Sam and Linwe. All that could be heard was the sound of the ponies steps at moved steadily towards them, the singing of birds in the trees, and the slight rustling of leaves in a gentle breeze.

Frodo stood transfixed as he watched the arrival of his bride. Linwe sat perched on top of her mount, side saddle, her gown seeming to flow in graceful waves across the pony’s side, a silvery sash rested lightly on her hips then was knotted loosely in front of her allowing the ends to trail down among the folds of her gown. When Sam led the pony from beneath the trees, into the clearing sunlight fell on Linwe setting her gown off in a blaze of blue white light. To Frodo she looked like a vision from the spirit come to fill his heart with peace. In that moment any doubts that he still may have had evaporated in her radiant light. He knew his place was with her.

Sam tied the pony’s lead to a sapling then walked back to the pony’s side to lift Linwe down to the ground. Sam gave Linwe his arm and they made their way across the clearing to the small group waiting by the pavilion. They met Esmeralda and Merenwen first, Hobbitess and Elven Lady each embraced Linwe then kissed her on the cheek all the while and smiling through happy tears. They then parted making way for Sam and Linwe to pass. Merry and Pippin stepped forward looking dashing in the trappings of their knighthood. Merry bowed then smiling said "You’re a vision of loveliness little cousin," he then kissed her on the cheek as well. Merry stepped back to let Pippin come forward. He bowed to then said, "Excuse me Samwise, but I think this is where I take over."

"I suppose so," said Sam a bit reluctantly. Before giving up Linwe’s hand he turned to her and smiled "I could not love you more if you were my own sister," he said then took his turn to give her a kiss on the cheek.

"I love you too, Sam." Said Linwe before he pulled away to place her hand on Pippin’s arm.

Pippin smiled down at Linwe, "Are you ready, little cousin?"

"I am."

"Your groom awaits." Pippin and Linwe turned to where Rosie, Saradoc, Sam, Merry, and Frodo stood.

Since arriving in the clearing Linwe had kept her eyes from Frodo’s though she could feel his gaze on her all along. Now as she allowed herself to look up. When her eyes met his, the air between them seemed to erupt with the strength of the bond between them. Everyone in the pavilion was silenced, dazzled the sheer force of emotion between bride and groom.

Saradoc was the first to overcome the enchantment of the moment. Later he would admit to Esmeralda that he felt that it was really rather unnecessary to go on with the ceremony after that magic filled moment. Saradoc shook himself in an attempt to clear his head, coughed slightly then smiled. "I suppose we are ready to begin then." Saradoc cleared his throat then adopted a look that spoke of his dignity and authority as Master of Buckland. "I, Saradoc Brandybuck, Master of Buckland represent the Four Farthings of the Shire and speak for all Hobbits everywhere. As their representative it is my honor and privilege to conduct this ceremony."

Saradoc paused then held his hands out before him, with his palms turned up. "Do you Merriadoc Brandybuck, Knight of Rohan, and future Master of Buckland, represent this day those loved ones that have passed on before, Drogo and Primula Baggins?"

"With honor I do." Merry replied solemnly.

"Then do you, Meriadoc Brandybuck, a cousin giving his blessing and the blessing of those parted from us, place Frodo’s hand in my palm, representing his coming away from your family to begin his own family, in the community of the Shire remembering that the bonds of blood still hold true?"

"I do." Merry took Frodo’s maimed right hand to lay it palm up in Saradoc’s left. Merry then turned to Frodo, "With my blessing and the blessing of your beloved parents, you leave to begin a new part of your life, with a wife and children of your own. But you never leave the love of your family nor your responsibilities to celebrate with us in times of joy, stand with us in times of need, and mourn with us in times of sorrow." Merry reached up and laid his hand briefly on Frodo’s shoulder before stepping back to stand with Esmeralda.

Saradoc took a deep breath then turned to his right. "Do you, Peregrin Took of Great Smials, Knight of Gondor, and future Took and Thain, represent those loved ones that have passed on before, Marmadas and Lila Gamwhiche?"

"With honor I do." Replied Pippin with a slight catch in his voice and tears glittering in his eyes.

"Then do you, Peregrin Took, a cousin giving his blessing and the blessing of those that have parted from us, place Linwe’s hand in my palm, representing her coming away from your family to begin her own family in the community of the Shire, remembering that the bonds of blood still hold true?"

"I do." Pippin then took Linwe’s left hand to place it palm up in Saradoc’s right hand. Pippin turned to Linwe, his eyes filled with tears that threatened to spill over at any second. "With my blessing and the blessing of your dear mother and father, you leave to begin a new part of you life with a husband and children of your own. But you never leave the love of your family nor your responsibilities to celebrate with us in times of joy, stand with us in times of need, and morn with us in times of sorrow." Pippin leaned forward and placed a paternal kiss on Linwe’s brow before stepping back to stand next to Merenwen.

Saradoc took a deep breath then continued. "And do you Samwise Gamgee and Rose Gamgee" said Saradoc looking at each in turn "Do you who stand with Frodo and Linwe pledge yourselves to be the closest of friends to them, to give help and support to them as they live together as husband and wife, as well as to any children they may have?"

"We do." Said Sam and Rosie in unison.

At last Saradoc turned to Frodo. "Do you Frodo Baggins, son of Drogo and Primula Baggins, and Elf Friend, pledge yourself to Linwe? Do you promise to love only her, to cherish her and care for her and any children you may have with her?"

"I do." Replied Frodo, his eyes bright with emotion but his voice strong and clear.

Saradoc then turned to Linwe; his eyes filled with love for the small lass who had become like a daughter to him. "And do you Linwe Taralom Gamwhiche, daughter of Marmadas and Lila Gamwhiche, pledge your self to Frodo? Do you promise to love only him, to cherish and care for him, and any children you may have with him?"

"I do." Said Linwe looking straight into Frodo’s eyes as tears spilled down her cheeks.

Saradoc took their hands that he held in his own to place them palms together then held them between his own. "This new family is recognized and blessed by the Hobbits of the Four Farthings of the Shire, Buckland, Bree, and where ever else Hobbits reside. We pledge that if this family of Frodo and Linwe Taralom Baggins is ever in need, we will come to their aid and that of any children they may have."

Cheering and applause broke out among the small group gathered to witness this joyous event.

Frodo reached up to gently push back a stray curl that had fallen into Linwe’s face. "I love you, Linwe Taralom Baggins." He said quietly then kissed her.

"Ahem!"

Frodo and Linwe reluctantly ended their kiss and turned to find Merry, Pippin, and Sam, standing shoulder to shoulder before them. Raising himself to his full height Merry spoke. "There is something we would like to say to the new Mrs. Baggins."

Merry fixed his steady gaze on Linwe. "Once not so very long ago, Frodo honorably and bravely took on a task that no one else could. The three of us vowed then to accompany our beloved friend and cousin on this quest, and to render onto him any assistance it was in our power to give to aid him in this most grievous of duties. The quest was successfully completed, evil was destroyed, but at a great price. Each of us was wounded in one way or another, but none so much as Frodo. In honor of that sacrifice as well as the burden we know Frodo still bears, we hold to our vows to accompany and assist him in anyway we are able."

In unison Merry, Pippin, and Sam each crossed their hands upon his chest, bowed their heads in benediction then together raised them up again. Pippin spoke this time, in a voice clear and strong "Linwe Taralom Baggins, I Peregrin Took of great Smials, and Knight of Gondor…"

"And I Meriadoc Brandybuck, of Brandy Hall and Knight of Rohan…" Said Merry his head held high.

"And I Samwise Gamgee of Bag End, a Gardner…" Said Sam proudly but blushing furiously. "Wish to extend to you the vows we have made to Frodo."

"If ever by our presence or our deeds we may be of service to you. You have only to say so and it will be done." Finished Merry.

Together the three bowed deeply to Linwe. When they stood straight once more Sam was blushing to the tips of his pointed ears. Merry and Pippin were both smiling proudly.

Linwe dropped a deep and graceful curtsy. "I Linwe Taralom Baggins, am honored beyond all measure. I accept your vow." Linwe preceded one at a time to embrace each of her cousins and kiss them on the cheek.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List