Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Enigmas- The Life and Love of Linwe and Frodo  by MysteriousWays

Chapter Twenty-six

 

 

 

The wedding of Frodo and Linwe was followed by a celebratory picnic. Blankets were spread beneath Merenwen’s pavilion. Wicker hampers were relieved of their burdens of cold spiced beef, apricot glazed ham, roasted chicken, soft cheeses, hard cheeses, crusty loaves of bread still warm from that morning’s baking, grapes, pears, and apples, as well as little tarts and bite size jam filled cakes.

Everyone was sitting about chatting and nibbling. After a while Merry and Pippin began to play on fiddle and drum. Frodo and Linwe, Sam and Rosie, Saradoc and Esmeralda all danced. Merenwen from time to time would sing a song. The day seemed to pass too quickly as happy days often do. Dusk came early in the heart of the woods signaling time to break up the festivities, "Come along everyone. It is time we send the bride and groom on their way, then the rest of us return to the Hall."

Sam went to retrieve the pony from its place in the shade of the trees while Linwe and Frodo collected final hugs and well wishes from everyone else. Linwe gave one last hug for Sam before he helped her onto the pony’s saddle. Frodo and Sam hugged one another as well then Sam gave Frodo a leg up. Frodo taking his seat just behind Linwe. He put his arms around her then took hold of the reins. ‘Fair wells’ were called out as Frodo and Linwe started to ride off into the trees. Beneath the early dusk of the forest Linwe’s gown could be seen glowing like a moon beam.

 

~~~~~

 

Linwe settled back against Frodo and sighed.

"Are you happy?" He asked in a low voice.

"Yes, I’m very happy."

"I’m glad, so am I."

"Are you?" Asked Linwe turning about to see his face "Why yes, I believe you are. How wonderful. I love you."

"I love you too."

They shared a brief delicate kiss then Linwe turned to settle back against Frodo again. As they rode on in silence, Linwe was lulled to sleep by the rocking movements of the pony. In time they arrived at a small, secluded cottage. Frodo spoke softly in Linwe’s ear. "Wake up Linwe, we are here." Linwe opened her eyes blinking several times. Before her was a lovely, little cottage with it’s round windows glowing from the fire and candle light within. Linwe said nothing her mind was still too sleepy from the nap she had on the journey there, but Frodo saw a drowsy smile touch her lips. He held her closer for a moment kissing her on the temple. "I think it is time we got off of this pony to go inside, don’t you?" Said Frodo as he released his hold on her.

Linwe nodded her head. "Yes, I suppose you are right."

Frodo slid down off of the pony then he reached up taking hold of Linwe’s waist he lifted her down. Resting one hand on the small of her back he lead her to the door then into the cottage.

Much had changed since Frodo had been there the day before with Saradoc and Sam. Gone were the cob webs and the thick layer of dust that had covered every surface. The floors and wood work had been polished. Some of the furniture that was rickety had been replaced the newer pieces that had the warm glow of many waxings, and years of loving use themselves. The shelves now held enough colorful dishes for their brief stay. There were also jars of tea as well as a few basic spices. Frodo felt sure that if he were to look in the small pantry he would find it well stocked for their stay. Judging by how brightly the fires burned he also guessed that who ever had been responsible for the welcoming transformation had only just slipped out just before he and Linwe had arrived.

"This is so lovely." Sighed Linwe as she walked further into the room taking in her surroundings.

"It is. I must admit I had my doubts when I saw it yesterday. It was rather dusty to say the least," said Frodo, "someone has put in a lot of work."

The interior of the cottage consisted of two main rooms, the main living area and the bedroom. Frodo watched as Linwe slowly walked around looking at everything.

"Do you think you will be comfortable here?" He asked anxiously.

Linwe turned to smiled at him, "Its perfect."

"I’m glad, I want you to be happy."

Linwe came back to Frodo putting her arms around his neck. "I am happy," she said smiling up at him warmly.

Frodo held her close for a moment nuzzling the soft skin of her neck with his nose. Then pulling back he searched out her lips to kiss her. Linwe’s kisses had a certain delicate quality to them, yet at the same time could be full of fiery passion. Frodo thought he could spend a lifetime kissing her just to learn how to describe them. Feeling his own passion starting to flare up inside himself he reluctantly pulled away. "I think I had better go settle the pony for the night before we are distracted further."

Linwe glanced down and blushed, "Yes, I believe you must…" Linwe paused as a great yawn escaped her. "Oh my!" she said blinking rather owlishly.

"Your tired, aren’t you?"

"I am fine, just a little sleepy from the ride here is all."

Frodo looked closely sown at his wife. Shadows beneath her eyes told him that she was far more tired than she was admitting to. Frodo was once again reminded that it had been a very long week. Even more so for Linwe who he now recalled had mentioned staying up late several nights tending to a number of preparations for the wedding. He also wondered if she had slept much the night before the wedding, he knew he hadn’t. He reached up to touch her face softly said "I will try not to be too long," he said before turning to go out into the evening.

~~~~~

After Frodo had left, Linwe stood looking about for a moment, then smiled then hugged herself. She went into the bedroom to get a better look at everything in there. She found a dressing table with her brushes and combs, as well as an assortment of toiletries she liked to use. There was also a wardrobe where she found her clothes hanging next to Frodo’s. In a drawer she found her underthings and several of her night dresses including one she and Rosie had made just for her wedding night. Linwe took a seat at the dressing table and started to remove the garland of ivy from her hair. The jewel of Arwen Evenstar sparkled softly in the candle light. Linwe paused to touch the lovely jewel and to remember the night that Frodo had given it to her. It hardly seemed that only a week had passed since then. Once her hair was neat and tidy she went to the wash stand that sat beneath a window and washed her face, hands, and feet with lavender scented water. Feeling refreshed she went to the wardrobe and pulled out her night dress then slipped behind a dressing screen in the corner to change.

After she was done preparing for bed, Linwe settled into an upholstered arm chair in front of the bedroom fire place. She watched the dancing flames as nervous thoughts of the night to come passed through her mind. Once again she was reminded that it had been only a week since that night she had spent with Frodo. So much had happened that she felt like it was nearly a dream. After a while the dance of the flames relaxed her, she pulled her feet up tucking them beneath her. Resting her head on the back of the chair she drifted off to sleep.

 

~~~~~

 

Frodo lead the pony across a small yard to a shed that held a single stall. As he went about the tasks of settling the docile creature for the night his own thoughts were on the evening to come. Frodo felt a chill of apprehension. So much had happened in such a short span of time he had really not had a chance to really grasp all that had been done and said. Nothing had gone the way these things usually do. Suddenly he felt at a bit of a loss as to what he should do next. He knew what was expected of a newly wed couple on their wedding night. He knew he wanted very much to be with Linwe to share that intimacy with her again. Showing Linwe affection by way of the occasional touch or kiss came easily enough, those gestures occurred in much the same way their first making love had, they were spontaneous. Now Frodo was all too aware that when he went back into the cottage certain things were expected to happen and he did not have the vaguest idea of how to go about such things in a deliberate manner. He was wishing he had thought to talk to Sam or Saradoc about this. But then even if he had, Frodo had to admit to himself that he would likely have been too embarrassed to bring the subject up. How did anyone learn about these things? He thought to himself. Was this the sort of thing that fathers were to pass on to their sons? In a sense Frodo had three fathers in his lifetime. His real father had died before Frodo was old enough to learn anything of the intimacies that occurred between husband and wife. It was Saradoc who had guided Frodo through his teens. It was Saradoc who had taken the time to explain how male and female came together to hopefully create a life. Saradoc’s explanation had been matter-of-fact and had not strayed into the emotional aspect that came when Hobbits did such things. Bilbo had been the least help of them all. He had tried to talk to Frodo about urges and how he should not act on them. Bilbo’s attempt at explaining such matters had been unintelligible. After that Frodo decided that it was perhaps better if he just did his best to ignore lasses until he came of age. Perhaps by then things would start to make sense to him.

Frodo found himself missing the time, not so very long ago, when he and Linwe would just talk. He realized more than anything he just wanted to sit with her, maybe have soothing cup of tea and chat as they had before the events of the past week had occurred. Maybe then everything would just sort of take care of itself. Feeling good about this plan, he finished the task at hand.

 

~~~~~

"Linwe, I’m back." Frodo announced as he came in the front door. Linwe did not answer. Frodo knocked on the bedroom door, "Linwe? I’m back." He called out again. Still she did not answer. Frodo listened at the door a moment but heard nothing so he pushed the door open and went into the room. Once inside his glance immediately fell on the two arm chairs before the fireplace, there a small figure up curled up sleeping in one of them. Frodo took a moment to just look at her. Linwe was nestled a sideways in the chair, her head supported on the wing coming from the chair back. She has changed into a night dress that had a wide ruffle trimmed with lace around the wide cut neckline, cuffs, and hem. Her small feet were tucked beneath her leaving her knees to peek put from beneath the ruffle on the hem. Her hair free of it’s garland of flowers and ivy shined softly in the firelight.

Frodo knelt before the chair. He took one of the small delicate hands that rested in Linwe’s lap. "Linwe?" he said softly, but she did not stir. Reaching up he gently touched the smooth skin of her cheek and smiled, "I knew you were tired." He said softly to himself. Frodo went over to turn bed to turn down the covers. Then he carefully picked up Linwe carried her to bed. She did not stir. Within just a few minute more, Frodo had changed into his own night shirt banked the fires and blown out the candles. Climbing into bed he gathered Linwe into his arms and was soon asleep himself.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List