Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Enigmas- The Life and Love of Linwe and Frodo  by MysteriousWays

Chapter Twenty-three

 

Word can travel quickly in the Shire. Frodo, Linwe, Sam and Rosie had just reached the Brandywine river when word made it to Brandy Hall announcing their imminent arrival. Merenwen had only been able to travel with the foursome a short distance before they found themselves in more populated areas where an Elf would likely stand out. With promises of meeting them later at Brandy Hall, Merenwen took her leave to make the rest of the journey in her own unobserved way.

When Frodo, Sam, Linwe, and Rosie arrived they found Esmeralda and Saradoc waiting outside for them. "Well this is a pleasant surprise," said Esmeralda as the four rode up, "And what do we owe the pleasure of this visit?"

Linwe sprang from her saddle and ran into Esmeralda’s arms, "Can’t cousins come for a visit just because they feel like it?"

"Yes they can, and are most welcome too, however I see you have brought with you the entire household of Bag End. I am guessing that anything that would get Sam away from those gardens for more than a day would have to be rather important."

"Now , Esme, the daughter of our hearts finally returns home for a visit and you start subjecting her to all of these suspicions. Your going to drive the lass away again," chided Saradoc.

"That’s all right," said Linwe as she turned to Saradoc to hug him, "she knows us all too well to think otherwise."

"So you do have a reason for coming." Saradoc carefully scrutinized her face, "yes you do seem to have a certain glow about you. I think I can make a pretty close guess myself as to what is a foot. In fact on second look I would have to say that all four of you are looking like your keeping something secret."

"I think you are right, Sara. I think we should show our guests inside, give them some refreshment then maybe they will tell us what it is that as brought them here."

An hour later, hugs and handshakes had been exchanged, rooms had been assigned, dusty traveling clothes had been traded for fresh attire, and Esmeralda had everyone settled in the private parlor of the Master of Buckland. "It looks like everyone here has all that they require for the moment. Perhaps one or two of you would care to tell Saradoc and I what brings you to Buckland with no more forewarning than some rumors. Frodo, Linwe, would either of you have something to say?"

Frodo and Linwe both blushed then looked at each other, "Why don’t you tell them, Frodo."

"Why should I tell them, you were the last one to live here and you are the one with the title of ‘daughter of their hearts’."

"All the more reason for you to tell them, You should probably ask permission, if you get my meaning."

Frodo just looked at her steadily for a moment with one eye brow slightly raised. "Linwe, the time for you to have held to such customs was about five days ago." Linwe blushed, Rosie tried to surpress a laugh, Sam closed his eye and shook his head from side to side muttering something about ‘this is hopeless’, Esmeralda had already guessed what had brought Frodo and Linwe to Buckland but began to be curious about how certain things came about. "Oh really you two." Esmeralda exclaimed in exasperation.

"I’ll handle this, Esme," asserted Saradoc. "I, speaking on behalf of Linwe’s much loved father and mother whom are no longer with us, would like to ask you, Frodo Baggins, what are your intentions towards Linwe?"

Frodo stood up next to Linwe’s chair, took her hand in both of his, then standing up straight with his head held high, he said, "With all due respect, Sir, I plan to marry Linwe, and I ask your permission and blessing."

"Permission and blessing granted and happily given, congratulations." Said Saradoc with a big happy grin." More hugs were exchanged, Esmeralda got weepy even though this was just what she had expected to hear. In a few minutes everyone was settled down again with their tea and cakes.

"So when is the wedding to be? I think it would be best if it was hear, after all Linwe is still considered a part of the Master’s household. An early autumn wedding would be nice, the leaves on the trees will be in full fall color, we can decorate with the leaves and dried flowers."

Linwe held up a hand to get Esmeralda’s attention, "We have set a date and we are wishing to have the wedding here, however the wedding will be a little earlier than the autumn."

"How much earlier were you thinking? Since this event will be hosted by the Master of Buckland there will be many from Buckland and the Shire that will need to be invited, add to that Frodo being the deputy mayor, add too that family from both sides, Tooks, Brandybucks, The Longfathers, and Bagginses, add to that pretty much everyone else because as we saw with Sam and Rosie’s wedding all of the Shire will be interested in the wedding of yet another of the Four Travelers, so they might as well be invited as many will come whether they have been invited or not. My point is, that we will need time to prepare, and even having the wedding in the fall will be cutting it a bit close."

"There is not need to worry over having time to prepare," said Linwe, "as we have decided to get married, the day after tomorrow, in a small private ceremony. We should probably arrange for announcements to be sent out afterwards, but I would prefer that those are not even written until after the wedding. We really do not want anyone finding out until this is over. Neither Frodo nor I are overly fond of large crowds, on our wedding day we would prefer that only those that are dearest to us be in attendance."

Esmeralda sighed, "I can’t say that I am surprised and I know better than to argue with either of you. I’ve known you both since you were children and I am well aquainted with how obstinate each of you can be. A small wedding it is, my dears."

 

~~~~~

The rumor of the new arrivals to Brandy Hall quickly reached Crickhollow. Merry and Pippin came barging into the sitting room unannounced. "Why the rumors, are true, Pip," declared Merry, "Our friends have come for a visit and they did not send word to us."

"Perhaps they are not our friends anymore. Perhaps they no longer care for our company," suggested Pippin.

"I think you might be right. Do you think we should just leave, since we are obviously unwanted?"

"That might be best. Should we ask for an explanation for this cold treatment first?"

"No, Pip, I think that would just be humiliating for us. If they no longer care for us then I would not want them to think that we care enough for them to notice their ill treatment of us."

"That’s so true, well then I guess we had best be on our way."

"Oh, you boys just stop that," said Esmeralda with some show of exasperation, "Frodo, Linwe, Sam, and Rosie, came with no prior notice given to anyone. We were just as surprised to see them as you are."

"Now you have my curiosity piqued," said Merry, "I know that Sam would not visit anywhere without giving at least two weeks notice of his expected arrival. Frodo on the other hand is well known for taking off when ever he gets a fancy to travel. However what with having Rosie and Linwe along there was at least some planning done. The four of you are hear for a reason, something that you feel needs taken care of soon and involving my parents. It is something important."

"Frodo and Linwe are getting married." Cried Pippin.

Merry first looked at Pippin in surprise over his outburst then looked to Frodo and Linwe. One look at them and Merry knew Pippin was right. "What do you know. Frodo finally figured things out. However one mystery still remains, why the sudden visit here? Announcing your betrothal doesn’t really warrant a surprise visit from all four of you."

"You’re right, it doesn’t," agreed Frodo, "However getting married the day after tomorrow with the Master of Buckland officiating does make an unannounced visit necessary, wouldn’t you say?"

Merry and Pippin looked at one another, "He has a point there, Merry."

"Yes, Pip, I suppose he does." Merry turned back to Frodo and Linwe, "Well don’t just sit there. Get up so that we can give you all of the congratulatory handshakes, kisses, and hugs."

~~~~~

That evening the main topic of discussion at dinner was the coming wedding. "Who will be standing up with you as family?" asked Pippin. Everyone at the table went silent. Frodo and Linwe looked at one another; Linwe’s eyes started to tear up. "We forgot that part," Linwe said quietly.

"Not to worry!" Exclaimed Merry, seeing Linwe’s distress. "I will stand with Linwe and Pippin here will stand with Frodo."

"Why should you be the one to stand with Linwe?" Demanded Pippin.

"Because I am older. I have known Linwe longer. I am also closer in relation to her."

"You have known Frodo even longer and you are even of closer relation to him than you are to Linwe. I think it is only proper that you stand with Frodo."

"Neither one of you will stand with Linwe, because I am." Declared Sam "Our fathers come from the same line so I should stand with Linwe."

"Sam dear, you are standing with Frodo as his friend, you can’t very well speak for Linwe as family too." Rosie reminded him.

Sam’s face took on a look of consternation. "But… She… I mean…"

"I am sorry Sam, but Rosie is right," said Merry, "You stay with Frodo. Since I am older than young master Peregrin here, who has not even come of age as of yet, I am entitled to decide what roll each of us will take. I say that I will stand with Linwe."

"I say," argued Pippin, "as the older of the two of us, it is only proper that you stand with the older of the betrothed couple. Therefore you must stand with Frodo."

Esmeralda spoke up at this point. "Actually Pippin, that is not necessarily true. Your reasoning that since Merry is the oldest he should stand with the oldest, is sound enough. But you are assuming that Frodo is the oldest. Frodo and Linwe were born on the same day, within the same hour. No one really knows which of the two is older."

Everyone at the table turned astonished looks at Linwe and Frodo. "Is this true?" Demanded Pippin.

"Yes it is." Said Linwe blushing a bit. "There is even the possibility that we were born at the same moment."

Everyone started talking at once expressing their astonishment or asserting their right to stand with Linwe. "Enough!" Roared Saradoc. Silence fell and Saradoc continued. "Esmeralda, you will speak for Frodo I will speak for Linwe. It is settled."

"That will never do." Argued Esmeralda you are conducting the ceremony. Besides I feel that Merry and Pippin should be a part of the ceremony since they went through so much with Frodo and they both are rather close to Linwe as well. We will toss a coin. Saradoc do you have one?"

Saradoc pulled a coin out of his pocket. "Heads stands with Frodo. Pippin, will it be heads or tails?" Asked Saradoc.

"Tails"

Saradoc tossed the coin in the air, when it came down it landed on the table. Everyone leaned forward to get a close look. "Tails! I win!" Cried Pippin. He stood up then dashed around the table. He pulled Linwe to her feet and waltzed her about the room.

"I really do not understand what all the fuss is about." Laughed Linwe as Pippin whirled her about again.

"I am not surprised." Said Rosie "I have been telling you all along that you have a very strange effect on those around you. You are an unusual Hobbit. Perhaps it has something to do with your having been raised by an Elf."

Pippin stopped mid whirl. "Did you say Linwe was raised by an Elf?"

"Yes, Merenwen is her name." Answered Rosie

"What? How can that be? How come I didn’t know?" Demanded Merry.

Frodo laughed. "I am surprised you and Pippin had not figured it out before."

"How could we?"

"Merry, what is Linwe’s full name?"

"Linwe Taralom Gamwhiche."

"Now tell me, is that a Hobbit name?"

Merry thought for a moment then blushed, "I can’t believe I never thought of that. It’s Elvish. Would anyone care to tell us the whole story?"

"My mother met an elf before she had me. Her name is Merenwen Sirfalas. Merenwen made it possible for me to be born, to thank Merenwen for what she had done, Mother and Father decided to give me an Elvish name. Merenwen stayed friends with my parents after I was born and came to see us often. She is coming for the wedding so you will meet her soon."

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List