Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Enigmas- The Life and Love of Linwe and Frodo  by MysteriousWays

Chapter Twenty-two

 

Sam and Rosie woke up to the sound of roosters crowing from around the neighborhood. They dressed then went to the kitchen to find Linwe and Frodo already there, with breakfast ready.

"Well this is a surprise!" Exclaimed Sam

"Linwe and I thought we owed you two for yesterday." Said Frodo smiling. "Waking up before the two of you was a bit tricky to work out."

"So we stayed up all night." Put in Linwe.

"You didn’t have to do that." Protested Rosie.

"Yes, they did," teased Sam.

"It’s all right." Assured Frodo "I don’t think either of us could have slept much anyway there was so much we had a lot to talk about. You see," said Frodo taking Linwe’s hand "I asked Linwe, and quite properly I might add, to marry me last night. This time she said yes."

"Oh, this is wonderful!" cried Rosie as she went to hug Linwe. Sam hugged Frodo, then Rosie hugged Frodo, and Sam hugged Linwe.

When Sam pulled away from Linwe he noticed the necklace she now wore. "You have given her Lady Arwen’s necklace!" He exclaimed to Frodo.

"Yes," Said Frodo looking towards Linwe with loving eyes. "It seemed appropriate."

Everyone settled down to breakfast. The conversation quickly became about wedding plans. "Have you set a date yet?" Asked Rosie "I think you might want to wait until the autumn.  Between the two of you, you are related to pretty much everyone in the Shire, so most of the Shire will have to be invited.  We will need plenty of time to plan and prepare for so large an event."

"Actually we were thinking of an earlier date." Said Frodo.

"And a much smaller event.  I still get nervous in crowds." Said Linwe

"Oh Linwe dear, I know you do. But you were fine at our wedding, and besides, I don’t see how you can get around it. All of the Tooks and Brandybucks will have to be invited, and then there is everyone from the Longfather line. They must simply all be invited." Said Rosie

"And don’t forget" added Sam "Frodo is the acting Deputy Mayor of the Shire. I know that he is planning on retiring from that office soon, but folk from all over the Shire will want a chance to pay their respects to him on his wedding day. And you Miss Linwe, there are all those folk that you helped care for after the Battle of Bywater, they will all want to be there to wish you happiness."

"Oh, but would it really be so unforgivable if we did not make a big fuss? Neither of us wants it." Pleaded Linwe

"I truly don’t see how it can be avoided." Said Rosie "You saw how everyone reacted to Sam and I getting married. And that was just because he was one of the famous four travelers."

"And for the Cotton’s as well, Rosie dear." Reminded Sam "I don’t think we could have got the support that we did were it not for your father and brothers helping to rally folk."

"That is true, and it just makes my point that much Stronger." Asserted Rosie, "If nearly the entire population of the Shire wanted to attend our wedding, there is even more reason for them to want to attend yours. I really don’t see how the two of you think you can avoid it."

"Very simply," said Frodo, "Linwe and I will be married within the next seven days. Either Paladin or Saradoc can do the ceremony. Both have that authority and they can both be trusted to keep quiet until it is done. We are thinking Saradoc if he will agree to it. We both feel rather close to him. Besides if we bet married in Buckland then we will not have to go out of our way to get Merry and Pippin from Crickhollow."

"Oh, and Rosie, you have to stand with me." Added Linwe

"Sam, you will stand with me, I hope." Said Frodo

"Well of course we will stand with you." Said Rosie answering for herself and Sam. "But… Well really, even if you do this, there is still going to be a fuss. Folk will come calling, and inviting you to teas in your honor. You really can not get away from all of it. So many would feel hurt and insulted."

"Then we will take the callers as they come, and the teas as well. It is mostly the large party we wish to avoid." Replied Frodo.

"But a large party might actually be easier to deal with, everyone making a fuss at once." Argued Rosie.

"No Rosie, it would only add to it. I have seen enough of the goings on of a wedding to know." Said Frodo "Even if we had the big to do, there would still be folk inviting us to teas and betrothal parties, on top of the wedding its self. Hobbits will take any reason to celebrate and wring it for all it is worth. Linwe and I want a small wedding with only those we hold most dear in attendance. Any callers that come after can be dealt with, and any invitation that we do not wish to accept may be politely refused."

"But…" Rosie started to protest.

"Now Rosie," interrupted Sam, "They have already made up their minds, so let them be."

Linwe came around the table to give Rosie a hug. "Honestly, Rose Gamgee! I know it’s really you who wants to make the fuss for us. And I love you more for it. But you have said often yourself, Frodo and I are not like other Hobbits. We like to keep to ourselves more. That is especially the case on our wedding day. Don’t you see, this will be better?"

Rosie returned Linwe’s hug with a tight one of her own then sighed, "You know I could refuse you nothing you truly wanted. Less so even, I love you too much. You are right. You and Frodo should do this your way. It will be far more beautiful than anything else, anyway."

 

~~~~~~

Linwe, Frodo, Rosie and Sam, sat about the table discussing travel and wedding plans, through second breakfast and on into elevenses. By the time the dishes were cleared away, it was decided that the following morning the four of them would set out on pony back, to make the trip to Buckland. Once at Brandy Hall, they could discuss final plans for the ceremony with Saradoc and Esmeralda. The rest of the day was spent with Sam rounding up two additional ponies for the trip, so that old Bill and Strider would not have to carry two Hobbits each. Frodo let it be known to those concerned that he was going to Buckland on Mayoral business for at least a week and that Sam, Rosie, and Linwe would be going as well for social reasons. Rosie and Linwe spent the day packing their clothes for the trip. The gowns that had been made for Sam and Rosie'’ wedding were being pressed into service for Frodo and Linwe’s wedding.

Linwe went into Frodo’s room for the first time since the night they had spent together. Suddenly that night seemed to be ages ago. So much had happened in so very little time. She felt rather bashful being in there now, though she had been in there hundreds of times before, having long ago taken on the duty of tending Frodo’s clothing as well as being sure his room was kept tidy. But today, as Linwe made her way across the room to his wardrobes, it was with the awareness that in a few days time this would be her room as well when settled in as Frodo’s wife. It was with this warm and comforting thought that Linwe set about choosing clothes for Frodo to take on the trip, especially his attire that she though he might like to wear for their wedding. By the time everyone had retired to their own beds for the night (Frodo and Linwe choosing to continue in separate rooms until they were properly wedded) all had been ready for this happiest of journeys.

The following morning the hour of second breakfast found the four Hobbits well on their way. The weather was fair; the roads were just damp enough from recent rainfall to keep dust from being a bother. All in all it was the perfect day for traveling. They made good time arriving at The Floating Log Inn, in Frogmorton, just in time for them each to take a bath before dinner. Sam and Frodo spent the better part of the evening in the common room, sharing a drink or two as well as a bit of pipe weed. Linwe and Rosie spent the evening setting thing in order so that they might make a respectable appearance at Brandy Hall the following day.

Shortly after sunrise, they set out once again. This time, just before they were ready to stop for second breakfast, they came around a bend in the road and found an Elf standing there as though she were waiting for them.

"Merenwen!" Cried Linwe as she fairly flew off of her pony and into Merenwen’s arms. "Oh I hoped we would meet you on the way! I am sure I was calling you with every thought in my head!"

"So I have heard. Well met my fairest Linwe."

"Oh but where are my manners, I must introduce all of you." Turning towards the other three Hobbits who had now dismounted and come forward, Linwe started her introductions. "Merenwen, I would like you to meet my most protective of cousins Samwise Gamgee, his wife Rosie, who is dearer to me than any sister could be I am sure. This is Frodo Baggins, with whom I have but recently become betrothed." Said Linwe beaming with happiness. "Everyone, this is Merenwen Sirfalas, I have know her all of my life and she is quit like family to me."

"Well met all of you." Merenwen greeted the trio, of who only Frodo was not entirely surprised by her appearance.

Greetings were exchanged then Sam started to ask questions, "Excuse me but I am curious, how is it the two of you should know one another?" Indicating Merenwen and Linwe.

"I guess I have sort of forgotten to tell you and Rosie about Merenwen." Linwe said a bit sheepishly

"I suppose you did. I think I would have remembered if you had." Replied Sam.

"It is very simple really. Merenwen met my mother one day, in the woods, close to our home in Bree. Mummy had recently lost the baby she had been carrying. It was not her first loss. She and Papa had been married about eight years and not once in that time had she been able to carry a child to the end of her term. She was most heart broken as you can imagine. Merenwen heard my mother crying so she went to see what was the matter. Mother told Merenwen of her troubles, and Merenwen offered to use Elvish healing arts to help mother have a child. I am that child."

"Well I’ll be." Exclaimed Sam in wonder.

"I knew there was something different about you, Linwe Taralom Gamwhiche." Said Rosie with a laugh. "This explains quite a bit I think."

"Frodo, did you know of this?" Demanded Sam.

"Yes, I have known since not long after Linwe came to Hobbiton." Said Frodo casually.

"Tell me, Linwe, how is it in all of the months we have all lived under the same roof, you have never managed to get around to telling Rosie and I any of this?" Sam asked trying to look sever.

"I am sorry, I would have told you, had I thought of it. I am just used to not telling folk. It would create quit a fuss in the Shire if everyone knew, so my parents and I never said anything about it."

"And how then, Mr. Frodo, did you come to find out?" asked Sam, continuing his interrogation.

"Very simply, Mr. Gamgee, I asked her. In fact I am rather surprised that you never thought to ask her yourself. You of all people must have noticed that her name is in fact Elvish."

Sam began to blush. "I am rather ashamed to admit that it had never occurred to me."

Linwe laughed "Don’t worry Sam, you were not the only one. Merry and Pippin never seemed to take notice either. I suppose, Merenwen, you will be a surprise to them as well. You will meet them at the wedding, you will come, wont you? We are on our way to Brandy Hall now for the wedding. You simply have to be there!"

"I would not miss it for anything, but before we travel any further I must have a private word with you and Frodo."

"All right, Merenwen. Will you excuse us Rosie and Sam?"

"Of course." Said Rosie "Sam and I will have second breakfast waiting for you when you return."

Merenwen led Linwe and Frodo into the trees by the roadside. They did not have far to walk, before they were so surrounded by trees that they could no longer see the road. Here Merenwen turned to face Frodo and Linwe. "Linwe, I notice that your are wearing the jewel that once belonged to Arwen Evenstar, has Frodo told you the tale of how she came to give him that jewel?"

"Yes, She gave it to him with the invitation to take her place on the ship crossing to the West, in the event that Frodo felt he could no longer continue on here. If Frodo feels he must go then I will go with him."

Merenwen smiled though somewhat sadly. "That is brave of you. I know it would be hard for you to leave so many that you have come to know and love. But now I must ask you to be braver still, both of you in fact." Here Merenwen paused. "Linwe, I suspected after we visited together in March, that it was only a matter of time before you and Frodo should choose to be married. It is only natural for two so closely tied in spirit. I spoke with Esmeralda, not long after Sam and Rosie’s wedding she confirmed my suspicions. I then sent a message to Lord Elrond, to inform him of this development. He is most concerned for both of you. I have only recently had a response from him. In his letter there is a matter that he has bid me to tell you of if you were to choose to be married."

Frodo and Linwe could both tell by Merenwen’s demeanor, that they were about to hear something they would not like. Frodo slipped a protective arm around Linwe. Merenwen continued. "Lord Elrond bids me to tell you, that in the event the two of you are wedded, and Frodo still finds that he needs to go with the Elves, then he must do so alone. Linwe must stay here in Middle Earth."

"No!" Cried Frodo "That can’t be!" Linwe could say nothing, her mind was busy working to absorb and make sense of what she had just been told.

"I am afraid that is as it must be." Said Merenwen

"But why?" Demanded Frodo.

"That I can not tell you. However, Lord Elrond also wishes you to know, that your greatest hope in finding lasting peace, here in Middle Earth, is through the love you two now share. This could very well be a far greater peace than you could even find in the undying lands." Merenwen paused allowing the two before her a moment to come to some acceptance of what they had just been told. "Frodo and Linwe, I am sorry but you must decide now if you will take the chance and still be wedded or no."

"We will be married!" Declared Linwe, showing all of the strength and determination, that Merenwen was so familiar with. "Even if it were to mean only being together for a day, I want that day."

Frodo shook his head, "No Linwe, I think it would be better if we didn’t. You can go back to Bag End with Sam and Rosie, I will go to Rivendell. I think it might be better if we parted now, rather than later."

"So you choose to break my heart?" Linwe demanded as she was starting to feel angry.

"Please Linwe, I am trying to save you of some pain. Surely the more time we spend together now, will make it hurt that much more if I should have to leave later."

"Oh Frodo, be reasonable. This maybe your chance at never having to leave Middle Earth at all. Wouldn’t you rather stay here?"

"Well yes, but…"

"Remember Frodo, you can only truly hurt me if you don’t let me love you freely. Don’t you see? If you leave me now, then both of us will spend the rest of our lives wondering what might have been. Stay with me now, and if you still feel you must go with the Elves later, then at least we will have had this time."

Frodo frown gradually slipped away. He sighed then smiled, "Why is it I get the distinct impression that I will never win an argument with you?"

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List