Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Enigmas- The Life and Love of Linwe and Frodo  by MysteriousWays

Chapter Twenty-one

 

 

Sam and Rosie woke up to the sound of roosters, from around the neighborhood, calling out their greeting to the sun. After taking a moment for a little affectionate nuzzle and a good morning kiss, they got up to start their day. Sam headed out to the garden, to get a feel for the day as well as the sort of weather they would have (It felt like it was going to be warmer today). Rosie went to the kitchen, stirred, up the banked fire then put water on for tea. Once this was done she went back down the passage to Linwe’s room to wake her up. This morning Rosie noticed that Linwe’s door was ajar, but gave it little thought. When she stepped into Linwe’s room she was rather surprised to find Linwe’s bed empty and unmade. Rosie checked the bathroom, when she found it empty as well, she decided that Linwe must have got up early and had decided to go outside for a bit and was most likely with Sam now. Rosie decided to leave Linwe be, and set about getting breakfast by herself.

About half an hour later Sam came back in from the garden. "Sam did you see Linwe anywhere outside?" Rosie asked when he came in alone.

Sam shrugged "No I didn’t. Should I have?"

"I don’t know. I went to wake her up and found her bed empty as well as unmade. I assumed she must have got up early then went out for a bit of morning air." Said Rosie, her voice edged with mild concern.

"I am sure that is all there is to it. Just let me go wake Frodo, then I will go back out to look around for her."

Sam headed down the passage to Frodo’s room. He took little notice that the door already stood open a couple of inches, he just pushed it open the rest of the way and stepped into the room. Sam did not notice the two, small mounds of white fabric on the floor by the fire place, but he did notice that the drapes around Frodo’s bed were already open, which was a little unusual. Sam was somewhat surprised by this but he was more astonished when he walked up to the side of the bed and found Linwe nestled in Frodo’s arms. Both of them appeared to be without a stitch of clothing, from what he could see. Sam turned to left the room silently closing the door behind him.

"Well that didn’t take very long!" Said Rosie, surprised to see Sam return to the kitchen so quickly. "Is Frodo all right?"

Sam didn’t answer.

Rosie looked up from the bread she was slicing. She took a moment to really look at Sam and noticed that his face was white except for two red spots on his cheeks, which he got when he was angry or upset. "Sam, dear, what is wrong?"

"I found Linwe." He said shortly.

"You did, where is she?"

"In Mr. Frodo’s room."

"Frodo’s room! Is he ill? I will just go see if she needs me to get her anything." She said as she started past Sam, without waiting for him to reply.

As she was going past, Sam reached out to take hold of her arm to stop her. "Frodo isn’t sick." He said biting off each word.

"Then what is wrong, why is Linwe there?"

"She is in his bed with him." Said Sam through clenched teeth.

"Rosie’s eyes got very wide, she took a step back, then smiled a very small smile of triumph. "Oh! I see then! I guess I will just finish getting breakfast for the two of us, then I think we should just go on about our day leaving them be."

"You are taking this awfully calmly." Sam accused.

"Why should I be upset. We both have known for ages that they are in love. I would have preferred that they wait until they were married first, of course."

"Rose Gamgee!" Cried Sam in shock. "I don’t believe I am hearing this, not from you!"

"What good will it do for me to get upset? You seem to be doing enough of that for the both of us." Said Rosie as she went about setting the kitchen table for breakfast. "They are in love. They have been from the first moment they laid eyes on one another. I know you remember that evening in my parents’ house. Everyone in the room could feel the bond between them."

"I do remember. But this is Frodo and Linwe. I expect more of Frodo, I expect him to treat a lass with respect as well as consideration. Especially when that lass is kin to me, Merry, Pippin and more importantly to himself!"

"Sam, Darling, think about this. You know that in all of these months Frodo had fought his feelings for Linwe. I know it has saddened you very much to see him doing that. Something apparently happened last night to make him stop resisting. Frodo and Linwe need each other. If it means one night of indiscretion to allow that love to truly live, then I for one, will just accept this for the greater good. Now sit down and eat your breakfast."

"It’s not right!" Grumbled Sam as he sat down to eat.

 

~~~~~~

Frodo woke up and smiled, delighted in the comforting presence of Linwe nestled in his arms. He had only to shift his head slightly to kiss the top of her head, which he did, several times. He was afraid of moving anymore than this for fear of waking her. What if she woke up then decided it was all a terrible mistake. It would be more than his already wounded heart could bear.

"There is no mistake." He heard Linwe murmur in a sleepy voice. "I love you."

Frodo sighed then relaxed. "I love you, Linwe." He said quietly.

Linwe looked up into his face smiling softly. "That is the first time you have actually said that to me."

"I’m sorry it has taken me so long to say it."

"It is better that you were long in saying it, than to never have you say it at all."

"This is true." He said then leaned forward to kiss her. It was a long lingering kiss with hints of more passionate feelings threatening to ignite once more. Frodo pulled away. "You know we really can not go on like this."

"We can’t?" Linwe said with mild surprise.

"No," Frodo said decisively.

"Then what do you think we should do?" asked Linwe

"I think we should get married." Said Frodo

"Well there is an idea." Agreed Linwe. "But, I am afraid we can’t."

"We can’t? Why not, don’t you want to?" Frodo was quite startled.

"Well yes, I would love to marry you. Nothing would please me more." She said with a smile that glowed with her love for him.

"Then what is the problem?" Frodo could feel himself getting frustrated

"You have not asked me," Linwe said simply.

"I sort of thought that was what I have been doing?" Said Frodo now feeling very bewildered.

"No dearest. You said we should get married. Then you asked me if I wanted to get married. But you have not asked for my hand."

"Oh! Well then, Linwe will you marry me?"

Frodo missed the glimmer of annoyance that passed through Linwe’s eyes. "Hmmm Let me think on this for a moment. NO!"

"No? Why not, I thought…that is to say…and last night we…" Frodo was too flustered to finish a sentence.

"Frodo Baggins, a lass does not want to receive a marriage proposal in this manner. You just threw that out there as if you were asking me if I would like some tea with my toast. Last night was lovely and I think necessary, but if you want to marry me you will have to ask me properly?"

"Properly, what would you consider to be proper?"

"I don’t know, Frodo, a little courting might be nice, but you have to figure it out."

"Courting?"

"Yes Frodo, courting, a proper betrothal! You’re a reasonably smart lad, I am sure something will come to you." Exclaimed Linwe as she gathered a bed sheet about her and left his bed with an amazing amount of dignity for one so attired. Frodo would have found her to be terribly adorable at this point were it not for the fact that he was busy being frustrated and confused. Linwe picked her nightdress up from the floor. "Now, It is late in the morning. I was supposed to go to market day with Rosie this morning but I suppose she has left by now. You should probably go have a talk with Sam."

"Sam, why Sam?"

Linwe rolled her eyes skyward. "Obviously it has not occurred to you that Sam has most likely been in here at his usual time, to wake you, and had the surprise of finding us both."

Frodo’s face went white. "I forgot about Sam. I some how don’t think he will be pleased with this at all."

"Hence the reason you need to go straight away and talk to him, my dearest love." Said Linwe. She blew him a kiss then gathered her sheet about her more securely before marching out of the room with her head held high.

Frodo sighed. "Yes, I suppose your right." He muttered to himself.

 

~~~~~

It was a nervous Frodo that stepped outside to look for Sam. He did not have far to look; all he had to do was follow the sounds of wood being chopped with what sounded like considerable force.

"Good morning, Sam." Said Frodo with much blushing.

"Mr. Frodo" said Sam with a curt nod, between strikes of his ax.

"I think we need to talk, about what you may have (ahem) seen this morning." Frodo wondered if this could possibly get any worse.

"To be perfectly honest, Mr. Frodo, I think I am too angry to speak to you at the moment."

"Sam please talk to me." Begged Frodo wincing at how hard Sam was swinging the ax.

Whack!

Whack!

Whack!

"She is kin!" Whack! "Not some cheap hussy from a tavern in Minis Tirith!" Whack!

"You are right Sam."

"She deserves to be treated with more respect." Whack!

"I know Sam. I am sorry."

"What were you thinking of? How could you do that?" Whack!

"It just happened. If it makes any difference to you, I really do love her." Frodo said quietly.

Sam stopped chopping wood and paused to catch his breath. "I know you do Frodo." Sam said with mild frustration, "Everyone has known for months how you feel about her, that is everyone but you!" Sam heaved a great sigh of exasperation. "Maybe Rosie was right, maybe you did need something drastic to get you to see it. I don’t mind telling you that I think you have been behaving the fool, Mr. Frodo. I don’t know what all went on last night but it should not have come to this."

"You are right, Sam. It should not have."

"What’s done is done." Muttered Sam no longer angry. "I suppose you will be getting married now. When do you think the wedding will be."

"I have not the faintest idea. I asked her this morning if she would marry me, and she said ‘no’." Said Frodo glumly.

"She said ‘no’!" Exclaimed Sam in shock. "Why did she say ‘no’?"

"She said she wants to be courted or a proper betrothal."

"But that makes no sense!" Cried Sam in exasperation. "Where is she? I am going to have a talk with her right now!"

"No Sam. I think this is something I need to take care of myself." Said Frodo, relieved that at least Sam no longer seemed angry with him.

"I suppose your right." Sighed Sam "Though I don’t understand any of it.’

 

~~~~~~

Later that day, Frodo was in his study, trying to get some work done on pulling Bilbo’s notes together, but he could not get his mind off of the situation with Linwe. Frodo had never done any courting before. Somehow, perhaps because of the ring, it was something that had just never really mattered to him. Now Frodo was at a total loss as to what it was Linwe wanted from him.

Frodo’s thoughts were interrupted by a quiet knock on the door. "Come in." he called. It was Rosie who came through the door. "Hello Rosie. Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Actually, I thought I might be able to help you."

"How so?"

"I thought I might be able to help you with Linwe."

"Yes, I could use help there." Said Frodo with a wry smile. "Rosie, I have never even thought about courting anyone before."

"And you have not the vaguest notion of what is expected of you?"

"That is exactly it."

"Frodo, you have to first understand that Linwe has loved you from the first moment she saw you. From that moment she has been cautiously expressing that love in a variety of small ways. She has been very carefully nurturing your trust in her. She has been doing this with great patience for many months now, because she understood that it was what you needed. She has not told me all of what happened last night, but it is apparent that the two of you came to some sort of understanding. To reach that understanding, Linwe has had to give and give of herself. Now it is your turn to give to her. She needs assurance that you will not take her for granted."

"I don’t think I could ever take her for granted."

"Yes, but you need to make that clear to Linwe. She has come along way for you Frodo, and she is willing to go further still. Just show her that you are willing to go any distance for her as well."

At this point Frodo was starting to wonder if maybe he should not have just pushed Linwe out the door as soon as her gown had come off. "How do I do that?"

"Well, it could be that you need to just take your time with her as she has with you. But then again, maybe there is something you only have to say to her. I think you are the better one to sort that out. In fact you need to be the one to sort this out."

"Thank you Rosie. I think you have given me something more specific to consider." Said Frodo.

 

~~~~~

Frodo thought about what Rosie had said, the rest of the day. By the time he sat down for supper he knew what he thought he should do.

As soon as the supper things had been cleared away, Frodo invited Linwe to take a walk around the garden with him. Linwe accepted. It was a lovely moonlit night, only the brightest stars were able to out shine the moon’s glow. Frodo and Linwe walked in silence. When they came to a garden bench, Frodo suggested that they sit down. When they were seated, Frodo took one of Linwe’s hands into his own, taking a moment to collect his thoughts. "Linwe, I have been doing a lot of thinking today." He said turning to face her. "I love you. And because of you, I feel strong enough to say that, to allow myself to feel that. It is the greatest gift you have given me."

"And I love you, Frodo."

"There is more that I must say to you." Frodo took a couple of deep breaths reached into his pocket and removed the necklace that Linwe knew he usually wore under his shirt. "Queen Arwen gave me this necklace when I told her and Aragorn that I would be leaving Gondor to return home. Arwen gave it to me, she told me that when the time came, I could take her place and go with the Elves, into the West. I love you and I want nothing more than to spend the rest of my days with you, but I still hurt, you know that. Last night you helped make that pain not only bearable, but you helped to make it something that I could truly live with. Loving you makes that possible, I see that now. I don’t know for how long, but maybe with you I could live a peaceful life here. You give me that hope. If not, if the pain gets more difficult to bear, I would hope that you would be willing to come with me, to leave with the Elves. I know it is asking a lot of you, on top of all that you have already given me. I will understand if you would rather not. I want you to know that I will love you in any way that you will allow me. Will you, Linwe Taralom Gamwhiche, marry me?"

"Yes, Frodo Baggins, I will marry you. Even if it means going to the very ends of the earth with you."

Frodo smiled tears of joy spilled down his cheeks. Frodo took the necklace and reached up to put it around Linwe’s delicate neck. "Arwen Evenstar, once gave this necklace to Aragorn as a reminder of her love and devotion to him as he set out on the quest for the ring. I would like you to wear it now, as a reminder of my love and devotion to you in all of the times to come."

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List