Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Unfaithful  by ChasingLiberty

Unfaithful

Chapter 1: Elladan is Eric Parker

A tall young man in a basketball jersey scored a basket from downtown. He pumped a fist. At first impression, he would entrance you. He was tall--- over six feet, he had well defined muscles though not overly bulky. The young man had dark raven hair just a little longer than usual that was cropped stylishly and held up by an Adidas headband. His gray eyes showed a gleam of passion and love for the game.

"I don't understand why you brought be here," complained Erin. "Why the hell would I want to watch a college basketball game?!"

The middle-aged man sitting beside her sighed. The man’s dark hair was graying and he had a moustache and a goatee.

"The game is not the point," he said sharply. "I want you to relax, take your mind off things."

Erin turned and glared at the man.

"Relax?" she said dangerously. "You want me to relax? Guess what? I have completely lost faith in the CIA! When my father was alive and healthy, you guys give me all this… 'Classified' shit! That funeral was my father's funeral, his death! He was in reckless danger and I was kept in the dark this whole time! Relax my ass!"

"I'm sorry," the man said, exasperated. "But his job was a secret and no one knew except a select few! It was not my decision."

The girl sighed again.

"I know, I know," she bit her lip. "It's just that, Mr. Hopkins… Look, my mother walked out on my family when I was four years old. I've gone through three stepmothers--- and none of them lasted. My father has been working for the United States Secret Service and CIA since before my birth. He has never been able to tell me much about his work because it's what they call 'Top Secret'. Now… I'm 21 and he dies on the job--- a job that I didn't know he was on."

Hopkins reached over and squeezed Erin's hand. "My dear, I am sorry," he said sincerely.

"Ms. Evans," he continued, "I was going to ask you something on behalf of the Director of the CIA. I doubt you will agree to this…"

"What is it?" asked Erin.

"We have a proposal," Hopkins said uncomfortably. "It is your choice of course… Director Bill Reinhardt has asked you to join the CIA."

"Pardon? Join the CIA?"

He sighed, "I didn't think you would agree. It's just that Reinhardt had a very high opinion of your father. Apparently your father had a high opinion of your skills. Reinhardt was very impressed and there have been talks about you joining since you were 17. If you choose not to join, I will tell Rein---"

"No," she cut him off. She looked down at the ground. "I want to join."

"You- you do?" Hopkins asked disbelievingly.

"This was my father's line of work," said Erin. "He had a high opinion of my skills? Then I will not disappoint him, Mr. Hopkins. Tell Reinhardt it's a deal."

"Thank you, thank you, Ms. Evans," Hopkins nodded eagerly. "Reinhardt will be most pleased--- and your father will be very proud of you."

Erin gave small smile. "I hope so."

They shook hands. "Welcome aboard, Agent Evans."

"Agent Evans… I like the sound of that," she commented, smiling.

They both fell silent as they turned their attention back to the basketball game. They saw the raven-haired young man dunk the ball. The stadium exploded in cheers. Erin stood up and clapped. She grinned.

"He's pretty good! I think I like basketball after all."

"Well I hope you will like him too," said Hopkins.

"What do you mean?" Erin asked curiously.

"Do you know who he is?"

"His jersey says he's 'Parker'."

"Ever heard of Dr. Ethan Parker?" asked Hopkins.

"Of course," Erin said, rolling her eyes. "Dr. Ethan Parker: Famous doctor, brilliant businessman, richest man in Chicago, one of the richest in the United States… Everyone knows Dr. Parker… Are you telling me…"

"Yes, this is his son, Eric Parker. Eric is a UCLA student--- He's brilliant like his father and as you can see, very athletic too."

"I think he's cute," said Erin, studying Eric. "Not my style, but definitely a hottie!"

"Just don't go broadcasting that around at work because it might be a little inappropriate to call a CIA agent a 'hottie'," Hopkins said wryly.

Erin gasped. "Oh my! You're kidding me!"

"Not at all."

"He's a student!"

"Yeah, well…" Hopkins tried to explain. "I don't know Erin. Agents are disguised as normal people; it works to their advantage. No one would suspect a college basketball player busting foreign mafias and things like that…"

"Good point," she paused. "Will I get to work with him?"

Hopkins shrugged. "Maybe," he said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stopping for a second as he approached his dormitory, Elladan turned on his cell phone and punched in a few numbers. After a few attempts, he paced around, frustrated.

"Damn you piece of shit with no signal!"

Someone approached him.

"Problem, Eric?"

"It's nothing, Hart," Elladan said quickly. "Just that my cell phone driving me nuts!"

"No problem, use mine," replied Hart, thrusting his sleek silver cell phone to Elladan.

He smiled. "Thanks."

"Hello?" he heard someone answer after two rings.

"Alcarin!" Elladan said happily.

"Hi, Elladan," she replied, just as eagerly. "Congratulations, I heard! You guys won… I heard you played awesome."

"Thanks. I'm pretty elated myself right now!"

"I bet you are…"

"So… how was your day?" asked Elladan.

"New York is New York," Alcarin replied casually. "Some of my customers are off their rockers. They come to me for advice but some of them don't listen to a thing I say!"

"Is it dinner time for you right now?"

"Should be," she sighed. "But I have to take care of some unfinished business first. It’s been a long day… especially without seeing you!"

"I miss you too, baby."

Then, Elladan remembered. "I going to New York over the week-end."

"Really? Awesome!" Alcarin laughed. "Listen, El, I've got to go right now. I'll call you later, okay?"

"Oh yeah, no problem."

"All right. Don't let any girls get too close to you or I'll throttle them!"

He laughed. "No problem. I love you."

"Love you too. Bye."

"Bye."

Elladan handed the phone back to Hart. "Thanks buddy, I really appreciate it."

Hart nodded. "That was your girlfriend?"

"Yeah." He said, not caring to elaborate.

Elladan said goodbye before heading for his dorm. It was more of a fancy suite than a university dorm. On the mahogany door was an expensive looking computerized device. Elladan bent down so his eye was level to the lens of the device. A quick flash of laser light scanned the iris of his eye.

"Access approved," said the computer’s voice. "Welcome Eric."

The door automatically slid to one side, permitting a space for Elladan to enter the room. He walked in. The door closed behind him.

"Lock the door and dim the lights.”

There was a 'zap!' sound at the door and the bright lighting dimmed. "Procedure completed," said the computer.

Elladan plopped down on the couch, exhausted. He felt happy about his victory but did not want to join the party to celebrate. He looked around the room. It was painted a soothing blue. There was a home theatre system, a top-line computer, a large mahogany table along with other mahogany furniture, two comfy couches, TV, stereos--- the whole gist. And this was only one room. There was a large and spacious kitchen connected to this room. Elladan's top-class bedroom connected to a lavishing bathroom was also part of the package. He even had his own exercise and weight room. Compared to the other UCLA students, this was beyond luxury.

Known to other students and friends as 'Eric Parker', he lived in the most fancy residence building, the 'Franklin D. Roosevelt Building'. In this building, lived the high-society and the wealthy people. Most of them, Elladan found, were nice people but a few were snobby and haughty.

"Turn the TV on to the channel 33 news," he said to the computer.

The large screened TV turned on. "And next on CNN news, Chicago billionaire Ethan Parker has opened another branch of his company, 'Parker Corporation'. His company has met with great success and is still expanding. This new branch will be opening in Dallas, Texas. Meanwhile, Dr. Ethan Parker has a few comments about his research that has been taking place at 'Aiglin Institute'…"

Elladan saw his father's face appear on the television. Elrond's face was fair and pleasant. His voice was calm and controlled.

"I want to reassure everyone that our gene therapy experiments have met with great success so far," commented Elrond. "My partners and I are confident that in short time, we may be able to cure cancers using this new therapy."

The camera flipped back to the newscaster. "This is wonderful news for our world of advancing science and technology. Dr. Ethan Parker, who is already a Nobel Prize winner, is still making great leaps in our goal of conquering cancer. And next in the news, we have…"

Elladan zoomed out as the TV went on about other news. He was thinking about his father. Elrond, known as Dr. Ethan Parker to the world, was a very successful man in many ways. Several years ago, Elrond had received a Nobel Prize for being able to detect mutated genes in a fertilized egg and then manipulating and correcting the bad gene--- therefore avoiding birth defects and conditions such as Down's syndrome. Elrond's elven healing abilities came into great use, though the public knew nothing about that. All they knew was that he was a very gifted doctor and scientist.

Many millenniums of changing names, having aliases, lying to the world, life hasn't been easy for the elves. There were plenty of them, scattered around the earth, occasionally contacting each other. The elves had to be careful to not settle in one place too long or letting others onto their immortality secret. More than once, deaths had to be faked. Elladan and his brother, Elrohir often joked about their 'graves'.

"Turn the TV off."

After several minutes of silence, a 'ping!' was heard. "Phone call from Dr. Ethan Parker of Chicago," announced the computer. "Do you wish to answer?"

"Yes."

A screen flashed up against the wall. Elrond's face appeared. His father was sitting on a couch, making the phone call from his home in Chicago.

"Elladan."

"Oh, hi Father," he greeted.

"You’re speaking English these days?” Elrond's voice commented dryly.

"Well, people will find it strange if they hear gibberish all the time or if I call you 'Ada' or something," Elladan said indifferently. "So is there a reason you called me?"

"Am I not allowed to talk freely with my son?" Elrond raised an eyebrow.

Elladan felt slightly guilty. "I didn't mean it that way… It's just that you're usually very busy."

"Understood," Elrond commented lightly.

"You were on TV again."

"I was giving a public statement," replied Elrond. "But enough about my business… Congratulations on your basketball game."

"Thanks. UCLA has been playing great this season."

"I've heard," said Elrond. He paused. "I have to go soon but I just wanted to tell you that we're having Christmas this year in Chicago. I've called Elrohir, Elanor, several friends, and your grandparents. They're all coming. I hope you can spare some time during your vacation and come home, Elladan."

His father's voice was genuine and sincere.

"Of course, Father," he said and smiled. "I'd like to come home for Christmas."

"That's wonderful!" Elrond checked his watch. "I have to speak to a few media members. Bye, Elladan, I'll see you soon."

"Yeah," Elladan said softly. "See you soon, Ada."

The screen disappeared. After awhile, Elladan was getting up, reading to go out for lunch when the computerized voice interrupted.

"Phone call from Unknown. Do you wish to answer?"

Elladan smiled wryly. He knew it was someone from the CIA. With all their secrecy and classified business, they did not take any chances with revealing their identities. Somehow, they always screened the calls so that there would be no name or place recognition, and no visual--- only sound.

"Yes."

"Hello Parker," greeted a rich voice that Elladan recognized at once. It was his boss, Director Bill Reinhardt.

"Hello Bill," answered Elladan. It was forbidden to call his boss by full name whenever there was a possibility of somebody listening or recording. 'Bill' was the name the present Director had asked everyone to call him by.

"When you’re in New York over the week-end, I want you to meet a new co-worker there. I hope it will not be a terrible inconvenience for you nine o’clock on Saturday."

Elladan scowled. "You always know," he stated, annoyed. He had only planned the weekend New York trip a week ago but Reinhardt always knew one way or another.

"I always know," echoed Reinhardt. "A few things you should know… Her name is Agent Evans. I will get the address of your meeting place to you via e-mail.”

There was a pause. Then Reinhardt spoke, "Have a nice day, Parker."

Elladan felt slightly annoyed. His boss was okay and nice at times but his all-knowing attitude and mysteriousness could be rather annoying at times. Almost like his grandmother, Galadriel… But with Galadriel, it didn't seem as annoying.

There was no choice for Elladan but to obey Reinhardt. Reinhardt and a few select members of the CIA knew their secret. They knew about them being elves and their immortality. They told them they understood the importance of it remaining a secret to prevent uproar in the world. But they had made a deal: Reinhardt and the CIA would keep their secret if a few elves agreed to join the service and work for them. Elladan had no choice but to agree.

The CIA didn't know everything. Elladan told Reinhardt that there were only a few elves left in the world--- not many at all. They didn't know the full extent of elven abilities. They didn't know about their whole history dating back to middle-earth… However, they knew an important thing: their immortality. Since the elves did not fancy the idea of having scientists study them as lab rats, they agreed to the deal so the secret would be kept. The elven members of the CIA were Elladan, Elrohir, Elanor, and Legolas.

It wasn't all that bad. Being in the CIA had its advantages. The pay was good, some of the work was cool, and here’s the bonus: The CIA helped to cover them up if there were ever any slips. After getting to know him, Reinhardt wasn't that bad of a person. He can be shrewd and frustrating at times, but understanding and willing to listen too.

Straying away from his thoughts, Elladan turned on the radio to a song by LL Cool J. Relaxing, he rapped the song under his breath.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ada--->Dad

Author’s Note: LOL, I know in 2050, LL Cool J would not be performing. But hey, humour and just pretend that he’s a star in this time. I hope this story isn’t too cheesy for your liking. Just remember that 47 years from now, a lot of things have changed… like the population, the technology, the science, the fashion, etc.

Thanks to Kelly, my beta-reader.

PLEASE REVIEW!

References to the Lord of the Rings (i.e. characters, places, events, etc.) are Copyrighted © Professor J.R.R. Tolkien. Original characters, plots, and events are Copyrighted © 2003 Alexis Delaflote, all rights reserved.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List