Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Runaway  by Lindelea

Chapter 32. Conversations at Table


 ‘What do you mean, you’re going to the great room?’ Meadowsweet demanded, not trying to conceal her outrage. Rusty did have the table laid already, as a matter of fact, and savoury smells wafted from their suite when Tolly opened the door.

 ‘My beloved, you know the escort always dine together,’ Tolly said. ‘Think how the tongues will wag if I am not in the great room this evening.’

 ‘I hardly see how it matters, as we will not be much longer in the Great Smials,’ Meadowsweet snapped.

 ‘Not much...’ Tolly echoed, at a loss.

 ‘You cannot plan to go on as if nothing has happened!’ Meadowsweet said in shock. ‘After what the Thain nearly did...’

 ‘After what the Thain nearly did,’ Tolly said calmly. ‘Do you know, my love, that he offered us half his holdings in restitution?’

 ‘As if gold could pay for the damage…’ Sweetie muttered resentfully, then her eyes widened. ‘Did you say half his holdings?’

 ‘I did,’ Tolly said, ‘though neither Ferdi nor I would take such.’

 ‘More fool you,’ Sweetie flared, ‘after what he did! You could buy your own piece of land and we could...’

 ‘My dear, I am head of escort,’ Tolly replied. ‘Having my own piece of land would not be convenient. How could I keep watch over the Thain were I not on the spot?’

 ‘Head of escort!’ Meadowsweet spluttered.

 ‘Yes,’ Tolly said, and when he used that tone there was no moving him, Sweetie knew from years of marriage to the hobbit. ‘Now my dear,’ he added, holding out his arm to her, ‘would you care to accompany me to eventides in the great room?’

 ‘I...’ Sweetie floundered, filled with fury at her husband’s calm acceptance of the situation, and despair that she could not move him.

 ‘Please?’ he added softly. He said naught else, but his eyes pleaded for him. This is my choice, my love. I want no other life. With you by my side, I have all I desire.

 ‘Well,’ she whispered, and suddenly all the fight went out of her. She put a hand to his cheek, which might well have sported a brand... but didn’t. ‘When you put it that way...’

Tolly put his hand over hers, pressing it to his face, closing his eyes the better to feel the reality of her touch. They stood thus for an eternity before Rusty cleared his throat from the doorway.

 ‘Supper’s going cold,’ he said apologetically. ‘Will you be dining in, or going to the great room, if you please?’

Meadowsweet drew herself up to her full diminutive height. Lifting her chin, she answered with great dignity, ‘We’ll be taking eventides in the great room tonight, Rusty. I’ll be back in time to tuck the little ones into bed and tell them their story.’

 ‘We’ll be back in time to tell them their story,’ Tolly corrected. Renewing his hold on Meadowsweet’s hand, he walked her to the great room.

The room was busy with chatter but the talk quickly died at their entrance. Tolly smiled and squeezed Sweetie’s hand, leading her to the escort’s table. The hobbits of the escort rose as one out of deference to their head and remained standing until Tolly seated his wife and then himself. The buzz of talk resumed.

Knowing that all eyes were upon them Meadowsweet tried to smile and laugh as usual, taking part in the conversations at the table, eating heartily, pretending for her Tolly’s sake that all was as it had ever been.

The talk died once more and Sweetie looked up to see Ferdibrand pausing in the entryway. He walked over to the escort’s table. ‘May I join you?’ he said cheerily, though all could see the lines of pain about his eyes.

 ‘Why aren’t you with Nell?’ Sweetie demanded. What was he doing here when he ought to be in bed, or at the very least by the side of his wife?

 ‘She’s asleep, and the Thain asked me to take eventides in the great room,’ Ferdi said. ‘It seems he wants to reassure the Tooks that all is well.’

 ‘He’s got a nerve,’ Sweetie muttered, but Tolly stepped on her foot and indicated an empty place, shooting her a look that said Don’t keep the hobbit standing there!

 ‘Join us, and welcome,’ he said, waving to the servers to bring another plate.

Ferdi sat down with a sigh, but immediately pasted on a smile and began chatting animatedly, interspersing low-voiced comments that only the escort heard, putting them all in stitches.

 ‘Quite the lovely weather we’re having,’ he said aloud for the benefit of ears straining to hear their conversation, adding in a whisper, Perfect for warming your hands over a crackling fire, don’t you think?

Bite your tongue! Hilly hissed, but Tolly laughed.

 ‘Very lovely,’ he answered, cutting a piece of ham and stuffing it in his mouth. Not to mention a cup of hot cider before heading out to parts unknown.

 ‘Do you really think so?’ Ferdi said, affecting great interest as a server placed a laden plate before him. ‘Are you saying that we’ll have a good growing year?’

 ‘Undoubtedly,’ Haldi said. The talk continued much in this manner for several minutes, with Ferdi inquiring solicitously after Meadowsweet and the children, all the while interspersing whispered comments. The members of the escort had to suppress grins at seeing Tooks at nearby tables nearly falling out of their chairs to hear the talk.

 ‘Aren’t you going to eat?’ Meadowsweet asked Ferdibrand acerbically. She’d had quite enough of the joke.

Ferdi dove into his plateful, closing his eyes as he chewed and swallowed. ‘Ah,’ he said in satisfaction. ‘Nothing like a good bit of meat and potato.’ He took a swig of tea. Do you suppose they have such food in Gondor?

 ‘A bit fancier, but just as tasty,’ Pippin said behind him, slapping him on the back as he choked on his tea. ‘The portions leave a bit to be desired. For such Big folk, Men hardly eat enough in a day to make a single meal for a hobbit.’ Diamond smiled, and Farry stood between his parents.

The escort rose hastily to acknowledge the Thain, but he waved them all to their chairs. ‘May we join you?’ he asked.

 ‘Certainly, certainly Sir,’ Tolly said, rising again to offer his own chair, but Pippin told him to sit down and gestured to a server to set places for himself, Diamond and Farry.

Once the places were set he saw Diamond into her chair and Faramir to his and then took his own place. ‘Lovely weather we’re having,’ he said, aware that all eyes in the room were now glued to the escort’s table.

 ‘Quite right, my dear,’ Diamond said in confirmation.

Stay seated, the Thain whispered next, and the hobbits of the escort eyed one another. What was he up to? Pippin gave a nod and rose again, standing a moment, stretching to his full height. He then bowed with a flourish to the escort at large, rising to say, ‘I thank you for your hospitality.’

Gathering his wits Tolly nodded. ‘You’re most welcome, Sir,’ he said faintly.

Pippin bowed even more deeply, this time to Tolly, holding the bow an eternity (as it seemed to the head of escort), rose, and bowed again to Ferdi for a long moment, until his cousin was moved to hiss, Get up you idiot!

 ‘Not at all,’ Pippin said rising again. ‘Just showing the Tooks where you stand in my esteem.’

 ‘We’re sitting, rather,’ Ferdi said crossly, ‘and you ought to follow suit!’

 ‘I beg your pardon,’ Pippin said, not at all contrite, and took his chair beside Diamond once more. ‘Shall we have a bonfire this evening, my dear? Roast bacon and mushrooms on sticks, and bake apples and taters in the ashes?’

 ‘Not to mention the head of escort and your special assistant,’ Diamond murmured behind her serviette.

 ‘O yes, we ought to invite them to join us,’ Pippin said blithely, ‘and all their families as well. I’m sure the children would enjoy the treat.’

 ‘Why not the whole Smials?’ Ferdi said acidly.

Pippin took a large bite of his dinner and eyed his special assistant with appreciation. ‘That’s what I like about you, cousin,’ he beamed. ‘You’re chock-full of good ideas!’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List