Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

 

Disclaimer and Acknowledgements: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 34 – The Long Wait

Moments later, Elrond led Aragorn through the door and Elrohir helped his father settle his little brother into bed beside Legolas. Aragorn curled up next to the prince instantly letting his eyes slip close. He was dead tired; his head hurt like a horde of orcs had trampled over it. Demon or not, he was going to sleep... but a sharp jab in his ribs snapped him awake. The ranger growled unhappily and swatted at the intruding hand pushing Elladan away from him. The older twin reached over the prince again and prodded his brother but this time Aragorn reacted by snapping his teeth ferociously at the offending digit.

Laughing out loud, Elladan retreated from the bed and joined his twin who was busy picking at the leftover berries on the small table. Elrond did a quick scan over Legolas and was satisfied with the treatment provided to him. A smile graced his tired features but was extinguished by a small yawn.

"Is the demon gone, Lord Elrond?" Legolas asked in hope for some good news so he could get some decent rest.

"I’m afraid not," the half-elf replied downheartedly.

Just then Glorfindel entered the room with a bowl of sour plum in his hand and Celboril followed a few steps behind with a tray full of cups.

"Time for your wake-up juice," Glorfindel called out merrily and received a collective groan from the occupants of the room except Elladan.

"Wake up what?" the twin asked, puzzled at everyone’s reaction.

Elrohir bounced onto his feet and took a cup from Celboril, pressing it into his twin’s hand. "Here, try it," the younger elf said with a twinkle of mischief in his silver-gray eyes.

Elladan peered into the cup at the dark green liquid and wrinkled his nose at the aroma. "Are you sure it’s drinkable?" the older twin asked suspiciously at no one in particular.

"Of course it is," chipped in Legolas.

Elladan took a sip and almost spit out the tea at Elrohir. He choked down the mouthful of bitter drink and growled. "Argh! What poison is this?!" he spurted out after setting the cup down on the table.

"That’s Celboril’s wake-up juice. Guarantee to keep you awake for many hours," Aragorn muttered from beside Legolas.

"Just hold your breath and drink it." Elrond picked out a large plum and gave it to his older twin. "This will kill the aftertaste."

Elladan accepted the fruit gratefully and gulped down the tea, popping the sour plum into his mouth after that. One by one, the rest of the occupants drank their share and began their respective sleepless night.

*****

Days crawled by painstakingly slow. Only six days had passed but to the populace of Rivendell, it felt like an eternity especially for a certain human. Aragorn was finally allowed to catch a few minutes of sleep several times a day for fear that the demon would attack if he slept for too long. Morion was desperate now that it had gone without sustenance for almost a week and would jump at any chance it had to take a host. Its presence was felt by many but since no one was asleep, it could not possess anybody. Fortunately, elves could go on for weeks with little sleep when absolutely necessary but all of them worried about the human in their midst.

Aragorn was practically going insane with the lack of sleep and if he did not get some soon, they feared that he might not survive for long. Finally Erestor came up with the idea of letting him sleep but interrupt his nap every fifteen minutes so that he would not be unconscious for too long for the demon to detect his state of consciousness. The trick worked and the young man eventually got his rest. However, they could not risk this method on anyone else afraid that Morion would sense the trick and break their defense against him.

Celboril’s tea had lost its effect on the elves, as their bodies grew immune to the substance. Everyone had become tensed and agitated and tempers were short. Elladan and Elrohir snapped at each other more times in the past six days than six months put together. Dark circles under their eyes marred their once flawless face and their eyes had lost their usual sparkle. The twins wished that they had rested during their journey back after rescuing their brother and friend but it was too late for regrets now. Pacing irritatingly in their father’s bedchamber, the brothers watched over their charges while trying hard not to bite each other’s head off. Every fifteen minutes, they would take turns to wake their little brother.

Legolas sat in Elrond’s large chair by the window staring out blankly at the bright blue sky. His golden tresses were a mess and his braids had come loose from their bindings for he had neither the energy nor mood to groom himself. Fatigue and the lack of sleep had impeded his natural elven healing and the elf still ached from the various bumps and bruises. The woodland being had not spoken for days and no amount of coaxing could get him out of his solitude. He had become withdrawn and isolated himself from everyone for he was too worn out and restless to socialize and his mind kept taking him back to he day he stumbled. He could not help thinking that it was his fault everyone was suffering now. All he hoped now was for Gandalf to show up soon before his sleep-deprived mind made him dive out the window to escape the endless time they had been awake. His sanity was slipping with each passing second and he let out a frustrated scream, holding his head between his hands.

Elladan and Elrohir jumped three feet into the air at the sound and both snapped around just in time to see Legolas climbing out the window. The twins shouted at the prince and made a mad dash towards him mere seconds before he slipped of the edge of the window. Elrohir dove after the crazed elf without a second thought catching Legolas by his arm. Elladan grabbed his twin brother around the waist as younger elf was dragged halfway out of the window by the prince’s weight. The prince did not struggle; he merely hung there like a dead weight pulling Elrohir out further through the opening.

"Pull back `Dan!!" the younger elf shouted. "I can’t hold on to him much longer! He’s slipping!!"

*****

To Be Continued...

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List