Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

Disclaimer and Acknowledgements: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 33 – Forgive and Forget

Beginning the story from where he and Legolas left his father’s bedchamber for the study, Aragorn continued on until he was taken hostage by Morion, hesitating when he reached the part where Elladan pushed Legolas down the stairs.

The twin was shocked speechless. All he did was keep shaking his head unable to believe that he actually did physical harm to the Mirkwood prince who had become like a brother to him and his siblings. "H-How bad was he hurt?" Elladan stammered afraid to know the outcome of his violent behavior.

Aragorn was also anxious to find out the extent of the prince’s injuries and both brothers looked pleadingly at their father for an answer.

"He was fine. A broken wrist and a cut across his brow were all I could tell from my preliminary examination. Glorfindel was with him when I left the house in search for the two of you." Elrond looked at the worried glances the brothers threw at each other and quickly added, "He’s in good hands. Don’t worry."

"He is going to kill me!" Elladan said desperately, "Or at least King Thranduil will if he found out..."

Elrond laughed despite the situation. "I’m sure he is more understanding than you’ve given him credit for. But right now, I think it’s best we head home or Glorfindel will start to panic."

The two elves helped the human up and steadied him when he wobbled on his feet, his head still pounding painfully at every sudden move he made. Slowly, the trio made their way back to the house. When they reached the house, Glorfindel was pacing avidly in front of the gates wearing a deep impression into the ground. The blond elf lord rushed up to meet them as they approached and bombarded them with questions. "Thank the Valar you’re back! I was beginning to worry! Is everyone all right? Did anybody get hurt? Where is the demon? Did it escape or did you contain it?"

"Peace my friend," Elrond rested a hand on the great elven warrior’s arm. "The two little ones are fine except that Estel has gotten himself a mild concussion. The demon had fled from Elladan’s body when I found them but he is contained within Imladris. I have enhanced the spell surrounding our realm to keep him in until Mithrandir gets here." After settling his side of the tale, Elrond could see that Glorfindel had visibly relaxed. But he was still anxious to know how Legolas fared.

"How’s our prince?" the dark haired elf lord asked as Glorfindel ushered the group back into the house.

"He’s fine but seemed to be..." Glorfindel paused searching for some appropriate words to use and finally decided on something not too harsh for Elladan’s sake. "He’s in some discomfort because Celboril’s tea is keeping him awake and he desperately needs rest."

The truth was that Legolas was in much pain but Glorfindel dared not give him anything to numb the pain for that might put him to sleep. Not only had the prince broken his wrist, upon further examination, Glorfindel discovered that he had also sprained his left ankle badly and bruised a couple of ribs.

Elladan eyed Glorfindel suspiciously sensing that the elf lord was bending the truth. "I know you’re not telling us everything for my sake, Glorfy, and I thank you... but..." the young elf trailed off without finishing his sentence. "I want to see him."

"He’s in your father’s bedchamber. Elrohir is with him."

Elladan nodded mutely and picked up his pace leaving the other three behind as he made his way hurriedly across the field and into the house. Elrond shook his head sadly. This disastrous event had taken a toll on the young ones and he feared for their emotional health. Hands still wrapped around his human son’s waist, he led Aragorn into the house with a much slower pace to compensate for the man’s slight limp. Although the wounds he had received at the village were healing well, they still pained him if he overexerted himself.

*****

Elladan dashed into his father’s bedchamber scaring his younger brother half to death by his abrupt entrance and because he wasn’t certain if the elf that had barged into the room was his brother or the demon. But all doubts left him when he saw the tear-filled eyes and not the strange misty black ones that he had seen in Legolas’ not too long ago. Jumping up from the overstuffed chair, Elrohir ran over to Elladan and gave him a crushing hug.

"`Dan!! I’m so glad to see that you’re all right!" the younger twin cried out with joy.

Elladan returned the hug affectionately and choked back a sob. "I am well but Estel is pretty bruised up because of me... and Legolas..." The older elf approached the bed slowly not sure what the prince’s reaction would be. Legolas laid propped up against a mound of pillows. He had more bandages on him than clothes. A light bandage was wound around his head over the cut across his brow. His wrist, chest and ankle were bound tightly and he actually looked rather comical. If not for the dire situation, Elladan would most probably be poking fun at him.

"Legolas..." he started but did not know what to say. He could apologize but was sure Legolas would brush him off.

"Elladan," the blond elf spoke before Elladan could cook up his apologies, "I will not accept your apologies."

Elladan’s heart went cold at the prince’s words and his world fell apart right before his eyes. He felt like a hundred tons of rock had crushed down on him and he could not breathe.

"You do not need to apologize for something that you did not do." The prince exchanged a mischievous grin with Elrohir as he said that.

Legolas’ words made the older twin sigh out in relief and let out a disgusted groan when he finally caught up with the jest. Apparently the two had conspired against him and played a practical joke on him. Sitting down on the edge of the bed carefully, he tried not to jostle the prince too much.

Legolas gave him a warm smile and reached out with his good hand placing it on the dark haired elf’s arm. "If you insist on apologizing to me, then I will apologize to Elrohir and we will be going in circles until we drive him crazy. And you know what he’ll do when he gets cranky." Legolas threw Elladan a mischievous grin.

Elrohir glared dangerously at the elf prince and the wood-elf just winked at him. Glad that he finally managed to draw a smile from Elladan, Legolas chuckled lightly and groaned as his action pulled on his ribs. Switching to healer mode, Elladan immediately started fussing over the prince and earned himself a "do-not-mother-me" lecture from Legolas.

*****

 To Be Continued...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List