Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

LOL!! I forgot to publish the previous chapter! So you get 2 chapters today. :D Happy reading!

 

Disclaimer and Acknowledgements: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 35 – The Last Straw

Elladan braced his feet against the wall beneath the window. "I’m trying!! But the both of you are too heavy!!" he shouted in panic. With his heart pounding in his ears, he did not hear Aragorn shouting for help from behind him before the human joined in with the tug of war.

Elrond heard the screams and flew up the stairs straight into his room. He could not believe his eyes when he saw the chain of bodies hanging out the window. The elf lord rushed to the opening and looked down, horror struck him when he saw Elrohir hanging on to an almost catatonic Legolas. Reaching down, he wrapped his fingers around the slender arm of his son and pulled until he was able to reach the prince. Then he grabbed Legolas by the collar of his tunic and yanked him all the way back through the window. The three brothers collapsed on the floor panting heavily but Elrond grasped the prince by his tunic and hauled him to his feet.

"What in Elbereth’s name were you thinking?!" Elrond yelled at the prince and when the elf did not reply he got more irritated. He throttled Legolas vigorously trying to get a response from him. "Talk to me!" he screamed into the elfling’s face but Legolas just stared at him with unseeing eyes.

The three brothers cringed at their father’s outburst. They had never seen him so angry before and were thankful that they were not on the receiving end of the elf lord’s wrath. Scrambling onto their feet, Elladan and Elrohir made their way to their father hoping to calm him before he did some serious damage to Legolas but before they could utter a single word, Legolas’ eyes rolled back into his head and the elf pitched forward into the dark haired elf. Instinctively, Elrond released his grip on the elven prince and caught the limp body as it fell towards him.

"Sweet Elbereth! What have I done?" the elf lord cried out as he lowered the unconscious elf onto the floor, his voice laden heavily with guilt and pain.

Elladan and Elrohir crouched down next to their father noting his distress and tried to say something comforting but no words came to them. Instead, Elladan pulled their shock stricken father away from Legolas while Elrohir lifted the elf and carried him to the bed. Setting Legolas gently onto the soft bed, Elrohir turned to his twin and father.

"What happened Ada? I’ve never seen you like that before…" he questioned his father, fully prepared for another outburst his inquiry might bring but it never came.

Elrond merely buried his face in his hands and shook his head. "I don’t know what came over me," the elf lord said with an exasperated sigh.

"You are tired, just like all of us," Elladan added. `Ro and I got irritated at each other over insubstantial matters too and sent us into a full-blown rage. I guess that’s what happened to you," he admitted ruefully.

"I’m afraid you’re right, my son. Things are deteriorating and if Mithrandir doesn’t show up soon, this place will turn into a madhouse," he sighed and looked apologetically at the blond elf prince. "I can feel the evil lurking among us everyday and now with Legolas unconscious, I fear he would be the next target. I have no idea how to protect all of you anymore." Elrond’s shoulder sagged in defeat. He had never felt so helpless and powerless in his life.

"I wish Mithrandir were here," Elrohir snuggled up to his father and Elrond hugged him tightly. Not wanting to leave his other son out, he extended his arm towards Elladan and beckoned him to come over, enveloping him in a warm embrace too. He wished he could tell them that everything would be all right but he could not.

"I see you’re having some trouble." The raspy voice behind them brought the three elves around to confront the intruder. The figure stood by the door leaning casually on his staff. His weatherworn robe fell to his ankles and a pointy hat sat atop his head, long gray hair mixed with streaks of white flowed from beneath it down his shoulders.

"Mithrandir!!" the twins cheered and flung themselves at the old wizard. "We’re so glad to see you!" Each twin found one of Gandalf’s arms and clung tightly onto it.

The Istari laughed and tried to free himself from the two elflings. He had more urgent matters to attend to. The twins however refused to let go and he was forced to drag the two along with him and met Elrond halfway across the room. Elrond gave the wizard a quick hug after his sons had finally detached themselves from the old man, thanking him for making the trip to Imladris.

"I sensed a great evil when I entered your realm my friend, an evil that I have not encountered for many millennia. What’s happened?" Gandalf asked as his gaze fell upon the unconscious elf on the bed. "And where’s Estel?"

Estel! They had forgotten all about him! Turning towards the window, Elladan and Elrohir’s jaws dropped as they say the boy curled up on the floor snoring lightly. Cursing under his breath, Elrohir made his way t his brother in a few quick steps and jabbed him in the ribs under his arm.

The ranger yelped and bolted upright. His eyes flew open and darted around wildly. "What?!"

"You were asleep for more than fifteen minutes!" Elrohir explained and Aragorn rubbed his tired eyes while stifling a yawn. "Legolas! Did you get him?" Suddenly remembering his friend, the ranger blurted out the question at his elven brother.

"He’s fine. Father got him. And Mithrandir is here!" the younger twin bounced excitedly on his feet.

Aragorn gasped at the piece of good news and allowed his brother to help him to his feet. He rushed at the wizard much like what Elladan and Elrohir did earlier and wrapped his arms around the old man. Gandalf ruffled the boy’s hair affectionately and shooed him off to join his brothers. Pulling Elrond aside, the Istari grilled the elf lord for a condensed version of the story and his face turned grim as his life-long friend finished the tale.

"Get them onto the bed," the gray wizard instructed Elrond, "and put Legolas in the middle."

The elf lord signaled for his sons to do as Gandalf had said. They scrambled onto the large bed and arranged themselves as ordered. Wondering what the gray wizard was planning to do, the three siblings sat silently and stared at the old man.

"I’m going to cast a spell that would mask your life-signs from the demon. Once the spell is in place, the demon will not be able to detect your presence as long as you stay within the confines of the bed." Gandalf started chanting softly and raised his staff. The crystal that sat on top of his staff glowed brightly and the brothers watched in awe as the light snaked out from the stone and wound itself around the four-posted bed. The chanting stopped a few minutes later and the light vanished along with it leaving no traces of the magic.

"That’s it?" the bewildered trio asked the wizard in unison and gave each other a silly grin.

"Yes, that’s it," the Istari replied with a smile. "You may now sleep without fear."

"Finally!!" Aragorn let out a breath of relief and sank down into the soft mattress, falling asleep before his head touched the pillows. The twins too lay down with a contended sigh and within seconds, the two exhausted elves drifted off into their respective dreams.

After seeing that the children were resting comfortably, Elrond thanked Gandalf for his help. "But what do we do about the demon now?" the elf asked.

"We go fishing."

"Fishing?" Elrond was confused. His befuddled mind had stopped functioning some time ago and he could not catch on with what Gandalf was saying.

"Yes. We need to draw it to us. And we need a bait."

"What bait?" Then it hit him. "You want me to bait the demon..."

Gandalf nodded grimly. "Will you do it?"

"Of course! I will do anything to remove this evil from my house and family, even if it means giving up my own life!"

The old man chuckled at the elf lord’s words. "I wouldn’t go that far, my friend. I will watch over and protect you."

The Lord of Imladris grasped the Istari on his forearm and gave him a grateful smile. "Lets do it!"

*****

To Be Continued...

A/N: Sorry for the late post. Been sick for the past 2 days and was too groggy to even think about getting online. But I’m back to work now and back to posting! :D





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List