Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

Disclaimer and Acknowledgements: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 32 – Escape Into the Woods

Elrond stood in the garden contemplating again if he should go after his two sons but decided against it as he weighed Glorfindel’s words in his mind. If the demon found out that he had been followed, there was no doubt that he would kill his youngest and Elladan would never be able to forgive himself and would surely follow his brother into the Halls of Mandos. Sighing long and deep, the Lord of Imladris toyed with the invisible ring on his right middle finger. The only way now was strengthening the borders to keep the demon confined inside Rivendell until Gandalf turned up and he hoped that the old wizard would have a way to contain this evil. Speaking some ancient words, the ring became visible and glowed brightly in the dark. Elrond raised his hand and chanted softly but rapidly. The glow intensified and suddenly a brilliant flash exploded from the ring and the glow seemed to engulf all of Imladris in its blazing light. Seconds later, the light dissipated as quickly as it had come and everything went back to normal before the magic was cast. Satisfied that the magic would keep the demon in, the elf lord left the house in search of his two missing sons. He had given them several minutes of a head start and knew that the demon would discard his hostage once he was safely away from the house. A hostage would only slow his escape. Picking up the trail easily, Elrond began tracking for Elladan and Aragorn.

*****

The demon dragged Aragorn through the woods towards the waterfall that they frequent having somewhat retained some of Elladan’s memories. He needed water to leave the elf’s body without depleting his own energy. The Elladan-creature scanned the area making sure that he was not followed before releasing his grip on Aragorn’s throat but still holding the ranger’s hands behind his back. He shoved the human forward roughly, eager to reach the water source and get out of this restricting form. Never did he know that he would not be able to leave Rivendell now that Elrond had placed a more powerful magic around it.

The waterfall came into view after several long minutes of walking and the demon’s hopes perked at the wondrous sight. Finally he would be free. But first he needed to get rid of the troublesome human. Raising his free hand, he balled it into a fist and slammed it hard into Aragorn’s temple. The human gasped as the fist connected with his head but before he could cry out, everything went dark.

The corners of Elladan’s mouth curled up into a sinister smile as he watched the human crumple onto the ground. Good riddance. Such a burden to be dragging along. Elladan’s long strides carried him to the side of the lake and he dropped onto his knees. Cupping his hands, he dipped them into the cool water and scooped up a handful of the clear liquid. Bringing the water to his lips in quick succession, he gulped down the water greedily as if his thirst was unquenchable. The creature drank until he felt sick to his stomach before stopping the intake. Turning to the side and bracing himself with both hands, he heaved the contents of his stomach onto the grass. As he emptied his stomach, a wisp of white smoke escaped from the corner of his mouth and dissipated into thin air. Released by the demon, Elladan’s body went into a painful spasm before the elf collapsed from exhaustion.

Aragorn groaned as consciousness slowly returned. Someone was calling his name and the persistent voice was asking him to open his eyes. His lids felt like lead and he was trying hard to pry them open. His head hurt and he wished that the annoying voice would stop pestering him.

"Estel, wake up my son," Elrond tapped him on the face lightly trying to bring the boy around.

"Go away…" the human whined pathetically hoping that whoever the person was would leave him in peace.

"I wish I could but I can’t," the elf lord said melancholically. "You probably have a concussion so I need you to wake up before I can tend to your brother." Elrond was torn. He wanted so badly to get to Elladan but his human son needed him too. He wished he could split into two and help them both at the same time but it was impossible. "Come on Estel! Focus on my voice and open your eyes!" Elrond shook the boy lightly and pain exploded inside the young ranger’s head.

"Argh!!" Aragorn ground out through clenched teeth and pushed his father away.

"I’m sorry," the dark haired elf said apologetically but his actions had finally pulled the stubborn ranger back to the world of consciousness.

Blinking a few times in attempt to clear his blurry vision, Aragorn groaned as the slightest movement made his head spin. Forced to sit up by his father, the young man gritted his teeth and swallowed hard at the bile that threatened to rise from his throat.

Elrond brushed a strand of stray brown hair from his boy’s face and peered into his eyes. Confirming that he only had a mild concussion, the elf lord helped him up onto his feet despite his protests.

"I need to get to Elladan and I don’t want to leave you here," the half-elf explained. "Do it for your brother."

Aragorn nodded and moaned, regretting the sudden movement but the pain eased off slowly and his world stopped spinning. Leaning on his father, the two made their way to the fallen elf.

Easing Aragorn down onto the grass, Elrond reached out and searched for a pulse on Elladan’s neck. The heartbeat was strong and steady. The elf was merely unconscious and not injured. Calling lightly to his eldest son, the elf lord managed to rouse him on the second try.

Elladan moaned and sat up gingerly, still groggy from the experience. Looking around in confusion, he wondered why he had woken up in the middle of nowhere. Rubbing his tired eyes, he looked at his father and brother in complete bafflement.

Aragorn flinched as Elladan’s gaze fell upon his face, not sure whether the brother that he had grown to love so much was back or if the demon was still residing inside his body.

"Why are you looking at me like I have sprouted another head? And what am I doing here?" the older twin rasped and wondered why his throat felt so dry. The searching gaze of his father and brother unnerved him and he squirmed uncomfortably.

"You don’t remember anything?" Elrond asked and all he received was a blank look from his older twin son.

"All I remember was taking a light nap in my room before reporting to you," Elladan recounted his journey until his return to the Last Homely House ending with the unintended nap. Looking around nervously having sensed that something was not right, he began to fidget. "What is wrong father? Why are we out in the woods in the middle of the night?" Then the twin noticed the dark bruises on Aragorn’s neck, wrist and the side of his face. Brushing his fingers across the bruises on his brother’s face, his anger flared at the brutal treatment his brother had been subjected to. "Who did this to you?!"

Aragorn exchanged glances with his father and the elf lord nodded giving him permission to reveal the truth. The human took Elladan’s hands in his and let out a defeated sigh before answering his brother’s question. "You did it, Elladan."

The younger elf gasped, unable to believe that he was capable of hurting his little brother but before he could start beating himself up, Aragorn interrupted quickly.

"But it wasn't you! It was the demon that had taken possession of your body. You cannot blame yourself." The truth was he still felt guilty for what had happened in the village although his father told him that it was not his fault and he knew that the guilt would stay with them for a very long time. Aragorn wrapped his brother into a warm embrace and held him for a long time before pulling away.

Unshed tears glistered in Elladan’s eyes and they told of shame and remorse.

"I do not fault you Elladan so please stop blaming yourself over this." Aragorn reached out and brushed the tears that had unknowingly spilled down his brother’s face.

Elrond wrapped his arm around his eldest son’s shoulders and gave them a gentle squeeze letting him know that he had the support of his father too.

"I want to know the truth," Elladan’s voice was barely above a whisper but both Elrond and Aragorn caught it without problem in the quiet of the night.

*****

 To Be Continued...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List