Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Let me be the one  by LOTRFaith

Always a whisper

Elrond walked out to the balcony. Listening to his three sons laughing about something. A smile graced his fair face. He had been blessed, or cursed with them. Three sons and a daughter. He sighed. Though at times it seemed like he had four sons. Indeed Legolas had become nearly part of the family. He walked back inside his study, sat down and re-read the letter in front of him.

"To Lord Elrond of Rivendell.

Greetings. I know this is very presumptuous of me, but I would ask if Legolas could go to Rivendell for a couple of weeks. These past several days have been very hard on him and currently he is un-responsive to everything and everyone. He does not sleep and hasn't eaten in days. As of right now he is lying in his room with Lomion sitting next to him. The healer has informed us that Legolas' mind is very unstable and that he in his condition could do anything. Including suicide. And I know in these past days that he has suffered most dearly that it would be possible.

I have decided to close off the south of Mirkwood. The lands are too dangerous for anyone to go there as we found out tragically just a few days ago. Two full patrols were slain. Unfortunately Legolas was the one who was in charge of the third patrol to find them. Also, we just found that my eldest daughter, Loriel is going to the Valinor. This has, I believe been the hardest for Legolas to take. If you would please let me know if Legolas will be welcome, I would be most grateful.

Signed,

King Thranduil



Lomion looked up at his father quickly, "You think this will work?"

Thranduil sighed. "I hope so."

They looked at Legolas. He was and had been lying still as death, for the past 2 days. Thranduil walked over to him, and sat down, taking Legolas' limp hand in his. "Please Legolas, come back."

*~*~*~*~*

Tasari yawned. It was his turn to watch Legolas, and it wasn't that he didn't want to, but it wasn't like he did either. He reached over and roughly shook Legolas' shoulder. "Hey Legolas, remember the time when we got caught stealing from the kitchen?"

He laughed. "We were absolutely terrified at what ada would do, until Loriel got a hold on us." He shivered, remembering. "That was the worst punishment I ever got. She knew what we hated to do and made us do it for a whole week." The smile turned sad.

"I've missed her so much. You know, she reminded me so much of naneth, but not as much as you do." He sighed, resting his chin on his palm. "You are just like naneth. You have her eyes, her soft voice, her quick laugh, her gentle smile, you have the exact same sparkle in your eyes as she did."

He paused thinking. "Do you remember her Legolas? Can you remember anything about her?" He closed his eyes. "What I remember the most about naneth was her hugs."

He wrapped his arms around himself. "You were so devastated when she left." He choked back a sob. "But not at first. You were so positive that she was coming back. And when she didn't you went out to find her."

He quickly wiped the tear welled in the corner of his eye away. "But you didn't." Several more tears welled up and began to slowly fall. He tried to brush them away, but finally giving into his pain, Tasari buried his face into his little brother's shoulder and cried.

*~*~*~*~*

Legolas was tired. So exhaustingly tired. His eyelids seemed so heavy. He blinked several times to try and stay awake. But he couldn't seem to fight it. He was slightly aware of someone on his shoulder. He moved slightly to look. It was Tasari. Legolas frowned, why was Tasari in his room. And for that matter how did he get in his room? But his brain told him to sleep, so he let his eyes close and drifted off to sleep.

When Lomion walked into Legolas room to check on him, he immediately saw that Tasari had fallen asleep, the other thing he saw was that Legolas' eyes were shut. Alarmed he quickly checked his pulse. It was strong. He silently turned and quickly went in search of the healer.

He found him quickly and they made their way to Legolas room. Careful not to disturb Tasari the healer checked Legolas' pulse, temperature and gently opened an eyelid to check his eyes. Satisfied he leaned back.

"Don't let anyone wake him up, for at least the rest of the day." He smiled at the unspoken question in his crown prince's face. "Yes, he's going to be just fine."

The day and night passed peacefully. Sometime during the night Legolas' eyes opened and he slept as elves do. For the first time in days his dreams were filled with laughter, golden sunlight and warm welcoming hugs.

He was happy, until someone started shaking his shoulder. Rudely. Annoyed he brushed the hand away, turn onto his stomach and buried his face in the pillow in hopes that whoever was trying to wake him would leave. A soft laugh greeted his ears. And the hand kept shaking him. He groaned tossing a pillow over his head. But to no avail, the person still shook him.

"Go 'way." He muttered into the pillow. Another laugh, this time with a tug on his hair.

"Come on, little Greenleaf."

Legolas' brain tried to figure out who it was. There were only a few people who dared call him little greenleaf. His father, Thalion, Mithrandir, Glorfindal and Elrond. Legolas seriously doubted that Glorindal, Elrond or Mithrandir were here so it had to be either Thalion or his father. He rolled over and stared blurry eyed at the person in front of him. It was Thalion.

"What are you doing in my room?" He asked, his throat dry.

Thalion quietly gave him a cup of water, but to Legolas' surprise his hands were shaking so badly he couldn't hold the cup without spilling. Thalion quickly grabbed the cup before it could spill and helped Legolas get a drink.

"What's a matter with me Thal?" He asked staring at his hands.

Thalion sat down next to the bed. "Well, you know how you can go into shock if your wounds are really serious or you are in a lot of pain?"

Legolas nodded, he had been in shock once, he had nearly died or so he had been told.

"Well," Thalion continued. "The healer said that your mind went in a kind of shock. And I can see why too, you've hardly eaten a thing, this is the first full night of sleep you've gotten in days." He shook his head. "Are you trying to kill yourself or what?"

Legolas rolled his eyes. "If I was trying to kill myself, I'd already be dead." He sighed, his fingers playing with the light blanket on him. "How could you sleep when your mind is constantly filled with the lives and deaths of elven warriors? With the thoughts of your friends that died in agony?"

Thalion laid a gently hand on Legolas' shoulder. Because Legolas was still but a youth in elven eyes, he had much to prove to everyone. But it gladdened Thalion to hear Legolas speak with an openness that surprised even him.

"I know these days have been very hard on you, but it does no good hiding your pain. It only grows." He hesitated, thinking. "Don't feel like you are weak if you do show your pain." He hesitated again, trying to form the words in his heart. "It.it's not.it's not." He sighed frustrated, visibly gathering his thoughts together. He gently pulled Legolas' still trembling hands into his, and stared deeply into his eyes.

"I know you are hurting, and it hurts me to see you like this." He pressed his forehead to Legolas'. "Do not be afraid to speak your hurts."

A tear welled up in the corner of Legolas' eye and slowly fell down the pale cheek. Lomion used his thumb to gently brush it away.

"Thanks, Lomion."

Lomion gently hugged his little brother. "That's what I'm here for."

*~*~*~*~*

(A few days later.)

Thranduil quietly walked into his youngest son's room. He smiled. Legolas was sprawled out on his bed, a book in one hand and the other was entangled in his long blonde hair. He had been confined to his quarters by the healer, though very mad at first he had snuck into the royal libraries and took several books to keep him from boredom. It had worked for two days so far. And since Legolas had not cause any problems, Thranduil had decided to tell Legolas that he had been 'invited' to Rivendell for a couple weeks. He smiled again watching his youngest.

Legolas was truly a treasure. As was all his children, but Legolas seemed even more of a treasure. He looked just like his mother, from his blonde hair, to his sparkle filled eyes and to his fair skin. He remembered the one time when Lomion had asked if he planned to go to the Valinor, he had said no that 'one look' at Legolas reminded him of his wife, and the fact that Legolas still needed him.

He watched with a bitter-sweetness at Legolas, who was frowning at the book, as his mouth silently formed the words. Bittersweet. Bitter because he knew that Legolas still silently suffered. And sweet because he was strong even under the worst condition. He walked into the room.

"Good book?" He questioned.

"Oh, yeah."

"What it is about?"

"Last Alliance."

"Ah."

Legolas grinned up at his father as he sat on his bed. He knew that his father detested talking about the Last Alliance, so Legolas had to glean any information he wanted from books.

"Have a minute?"

Legolas glanced around his room, "I think I could spare a couple." He grinned mischievously.

"Lord Elrond's sons have invited you to Rivendell for a couple of weeks."

Legolas blinked. It wasn't unusual for him to be invited to Rivendell, but this seemed a little too suspicious for his liking.

"Where is the note?"

Thranduil hid a smile; he had known this would happen. He silently handed a separate letter to his son.

"To Prince Legolas of Mirkwood.

Greeting. Legolas, you are officially invited over to Rivendell for a couple of weeks. My Adar said it is ok, so if is ok with yours, hurry up and get over here. Elladan and Elrohir just got back from the Dunadain and said that we could hunt with them. Hope you are on your way.

Signed, Estel of Rivendell"

Legolas grinned at the letter. He could almost see his friend bent over and hastily writing a quick note. He raised questioning eyes to his father.

Thranduil smiled. "Yes you may go." Legolas immediately jumped off his bed and quickly grabbing a bag began stuffing clothing in it.

"But." Legolas turned slowly at the single word, fearing the worst.

"But you first must go to the healer."

Legolas frowned. "I'm fine ada." He stressed the fine.

Thranduil sighed. "I just want to make sure."

Something inside of Legolas suddenly burst. "I'M FINE!!!!!!" He yelled. "WHY DON'T YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE?"

Then stood back, shocked at his own emotions.

Thranduil kept his face emotionless, yet his heart wept and laughed. Wept for the pain and laughed that it was finally coming out.

He stood and placed a hand on Legolas shoulder and stared into Legolas surprised eyes. "I know my son. I know." He gave a gentle squeeze. "See the healer before you leave, Adoril and Meldon are accompanying you." It wasn't a request and Legolas knew it.

He sighed and nodded giving his agreement.

"Be safe my son."

Legolas could have rolled his eyes. How he hated being treated like an elfling, just cause he was the youngest in this realm didn't mean anything. True he had a lot to prove, and you can't prove anything when your father, brothers and sister were all watching you constantly.

"I'm not an elfling." He stated to the suddenly empty room. "I don't know why they treat me like one." He snorted and continued to stuff his bag with clothes.

*~*~Flash forward~*~*

Aragorn stared at the blonde archer in front of him. Of all the egotistical, prideful, arrogant elves he had known, Legolas surely took the cake. He ran his hand through his hair.

"So Lord Elrond thought that because of these past weeks, my fear for the dark was re-opened." Legolas' voice was soft.

Aragorn snorted drawing all eyes on him. He frowned at Legolas.

"Who am I to you." He asked Legolas abruptly.

Confusion reflected on all the elven faces.

"Umm, you're my friend." Legolas turned to his friends looking for an answer that only Aragorn knew.

"Exactly!" Aragorn fairly yelled. "I'm your friend."

"Umm, what does this have to do with anything?" Elladan questioned puzzled.
"Adoril." Aragorn drew the elf's attention. "When you need to talk to anyone, whom do you go to?"

Adoril coughed, looking at the others. "I go to Meldon."

"Who is your best friend!" Aragorn said triumphantly.
"What are you getting at Aragorn?" The four elves spoke nearly simultaneously.

Aragorn sighed facing Legolas. "Why do you keep all the pain inside? Does it make you feel better? No! You should talk."

Legolas rolled his eyes. "I just did."

Aragorn snorted. "Before you collapse from grieving."

Legolas gave a weak smile.

Aragorn laid a hand on his shoulder. "When you are hurting or in pain, let me be the one to help you. Let me be the one to help you carry your burdens."Elrond stared thoughtfully at the letter. It pained him to read that Legolas was suffering so. Legolas was like a son to him. He nodded suddenly making his decision; he dipped a quill in the ink.

"To King Thranduil of Mirkwood."

*~*~*~*

Thranduil let out a sigh of relief.

"Ada? What is it?"

Thranduil wordlessly handed Lomion the letter.

"To King Thranduil of Mirkwood.

Greetings. Yes, Legolas will be most welcome here in Rivendell. I know that Legolas will be suspicious as to the reason why you would send him so tell him that my son's have invited him. I will try to help Legolas while he is here. My sons and I await his arrival.

Signed,

Lord Elrond"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List