Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Let me be the one  by LOTRFaith

Moving On

Legolas felt numb. Unable to move, feel or think. Numb. They had gone through each body piece and put it with its owner on a blanket. It had taken days. Days of blood. Days of pain. Days of remembering. Days of silence. Days of tears.

Once done, all the bodies completely assembled, Legolas had gone to each body and taken a token. A lock of hair, a broach, a piece of cloth, a button, a string, anything for their family to remember them by. Then King Thranduil had come.

"In everything there is a time.

A time to live and a time to die.

A time to plant and a time to dig up.

A time to kill and a time to heal.

A time to tear down and a time to build up.

A time to cry and a time to laugh.

A time grieve and a time to dance.

A time to gather and a time to scatter.

A time to embrace and a time to refrain.

A time to search and a time to give up.

A time to keep and a time to throw away.

A time to be silent and a time to speak.

A time to love and a time to hate.

A time for war and a time for peace.

In everything there is a time. "

Thranduil toned solemnly as they watched the flames consume the bodies. He had decided not to let any of the families attend the funerals.

"Let them be remembered in laughter, not in pain or agony." He said. He looked at his youngest son, who was silently watching the flames as if in a trance. Thranduil knew something was bothering him, but what, Legolas refused to reveal. And with heavy hearts they returned to the palace.

Thranduil watched with a proud but heavy heart as Legolas gave each family a token of their loved one. Telling each of their loved ones bravery and courage even in the face of death. Legolas shed not a single tear in public. But in the silence and privacy of his room he wept.

*~*~*~*

A few days later, he was interrupted.

"King Thranduil? There is a messenger from Dol Amroth. He wishes to speak privately with you."

Thranduil frowned. His oldest daughter lived in Dol Amroth with her husband and two children. It was rare to hear from her, but something about this wasn't right. He nodded "Send him in." He motioned for the others in the throne room to leave.

At the entrance the messenger paused, took a deep breath, threw back his shoulders and walked in. He bowed, "King Thranduil. I have news for you from your eldest daughter, Loriel."

"Yes?"

The messenger paused, then handed the king the message.

And suddenly Thranduil taking a deep breath opened the seal and began to read.

"My dearest father,

I know this comes as a surprise to you, but I know that you must know this. As of today, Galador, our two children and I are leaving for the Valinor. I know this comes as a shock to you, but the sea longing has been in my heart for several years now, and Galador has decided to accompany me. This is a short and hasty note, and I beg your forgiveness for that, but I knew that I must bid you farewell. Please give everyone a hug goodbye from me. And please tell Legolas that I will tell Naneth hello for him as I promised I would so many years ago. I love you all,

Your loving daughter and sister, Loriel."

Thranduil, stunned let the letter slid through his fingers. His daughter, gone? Suddenly Thranduil was filled with remembering. Remembering his little blue eyed, blonde haired daughter. Her laughter, her sweet smiles, her proclamations of "I love you ada!"

"Sire? Are you alright?"

The messenger's soft voice broke into his thoughts.

Thranduil nodded shakily. "Please send in my advisor."

"Yes sire?"

"Please send for my children."

*~*~*~*~*

Legolas stared in shock at his father. Loriel had left for the Valinor? Why?

Thranduil swallowed. "The sea longing has been tugging at her heart for many years now. She told me when she first saw the sea, but her love for Galador persuaded her to remain for several years." He gave a slight smile to Legolas, remembering how Legolas had hated Galador for taking 'his' 'Riel.

"She said she would say hello to naneth for you, Legolas."

Legolas jerked. He had not forgotten Loriel's promise that is she 'found' naneth, that she would tell her how much he missed her. He had been but a little elfling at the time.

Lomion gazed worriedly at his youngest brother. Thalion, Tasari and Lothgil did as well. They all knew that Legolas suffered every night from nightmares. But did not speak of it. And that he cried every night, but never once revealed his pain.

He was too pale and far to thin. Lomion decided, he knew that Legolas had not slept in days and that often could not even force himself to eat. He was worried. He decided to speak with ada as soon as possible.

Legolas' breathing suddenly quickened. His chin quivered as he fought back tears. Tears for his big sister that was the closest thing to a mother. Tears for his 'Reil.'

Legolas suddenly turned and ran out the room. Desperate to escape so he could cry. How he missed her. He had begged her not to leave him. Begged her not to marry Galador. She had laughed through her tears, told him she loved him, sung him a lullaby then left. Just like his mother. He remembered that lullaby just like it was yesterday she had sung in to him.

"I'm already there

Take a look around

I'm the sunshine in your hair

I'm the shadow on the ground

I'm the whisper in the wind

I'm your imaginary friend

And I know I'm in your prayers

Oh I'm already there. Don't make a sound

I'm the beat in your heart

I'm the moonlight shining down

I'm the whisper in the wind

And I'll be there until the end

Can you feel the love that we share

Oh I'm already there

We may be a thousand miles apart

But I'll be with you wherever you are

I'm already there."

She told him that she would always be there. Always. But she wasn't. She was gone. She had left. She had broken her promise.

He ran past the startled servants until he reached his secret hiding spot. It had been here that 'Riel had said goodbye, and it was here that his mother had also said goodbye, though the memories were faint.

He threw himself against the tree and sobbed his heart out. He sobbed for his mother. He sobbed for his sister. He sobbed for the warriors that had died. He sobbed for Jaeol, who only wanted the best for him. He sobbed for his friends. He sobbed for their families. He sobbed until the tears no longer came.

Thranduil watched with an aching heart. He knew his son suffered, but felt helpless to help him. He had asked the warriors that had went with Legolas what had happened. All they had said was that they had found Legolas cradling Jaeol. No emotion on his face. He had not spoken a single word in the entire time they had been there. He didn't eat or sleep. He had not eaten or slept at all in the 5 days since they had returned. He was on the verge of collapsing.

He walked over to Legolas and gently laid a hand on his shoulder. Legolas jerked back, quickly wiping off any remaining tears. "Yes ada?"

Thranduil sighed. "Legolas, you should not try to hide your pain. It isn't weakness. I know you are hurting, and it hurts me to see that. I.." Thranduil paused thinking on how to phrase his words. "I lost your mother from grief. I don't want you to go as well." He hesitated before proceeding.

"I am closing off the Southern part of Mirkwood. It is too dangerous. I have already told your siblings," He sighed again, trying to make sure his words were spoken correctly, "I am planning on moving to the caverns. The lands around here are becoming too dangerous for any one.

Legolas leapt up from his seat. "You can't!"

Thranduil frowned. "You are the prince of Mirkwood, not just an elf Legolas! You know that I must do this! Soon you will have responsibilities, duties.."

"I don't want it! I don't want it!" Legolas yelled.

"You have no choice!" Thranduil yelled back.

"Leave me alone!!!!!"

"Legolas come back here! Legolas!"

Thranduil stared at the fleeing back of his youngest son. Why had he lost his temper? He son suffered, as it was, why did he tell him now? He sighed, then turned and went back into the palace.

Legolas ran as fast as he could. The trees were blurred as he ran past; partly due the tears in his eyes and partly due to the fact the he ran without a care. He threw himself against a tree gasping for breath. He was weak. And he hated it. He closed his eyes, willing himself to regain control of his emotions. He brought up a hand to wipe off the remaining tear, and then froze. His hand was shaking. He looked at his other hand, it was also shaking. He clenched his hands, willing them to stop. They refused.

Dark eyes stared at the elven prince. Eyes that told of hungry. It tensed, and then jumped.

Legolas whirled around. Shocked that he had been nearly caught off guard. He reached for an arrow before realizing that he left his bow at the palace. He reached instead for his twin knives. A gift from his father. The blades whirled in a deadly but graceful dance of death.

In seconds the warg lay dead at his feet. But he wasn't finished yet. The sounds of the warg dieing had brought other wargs with orcs with them.

Legolas was barely a blur as he whirled around in his deadly dance of death. Anger pulsed through his veins as he remembered his friends, lying dead on the ground. Blood covering their fair elven faces, their hands, their bodies. A cry of rage came from Legolas' lips.

The orcs were startled at the sheer fury that the lone elf put against them. Startled and afraid. Soon the fear against fury of the elf outweighed the fact that there had been 26 orcs attacking and 4 wargs.

The few orcs had run off. Legolas was tempted to chase after them, but the adrenaline that raced through his veins only minutes ago, left and Legolas found himself slumped against a tree.

*~*~*~*~*

Thranduil was worried. It has nearly midnight. Legolas had left at mid- morning, he should have been back by now. He knew the dangers of being in Mirkwood alone. At least Thranduil hoped he did. He sighed. Of all of his children Legolas was the only one who had ever run away, gotten captured by orcs, returned and promptly broke his leg, he was the only one who had ever broken both arms, both legs, probably all of his ribs, concussions and worried his father to death. Well almost to death. Thranduil smiled sadly and Legolas was the only one who could barely remember his nana. He remembered a time when Legolas had come running into his room a frown on his alabaster face.

"Ada?" He had asked.

"Yes Legolas."

"What is a naneth?"

Thranduil remembered how his heart had seemed to break at the innocent question. No, he would not lose his youngest son if he had anything to say about it. He walked out of his bedchambers.

"Adoril!"

*~*~*~*~*

They found Legolas sitting with his back to a large tree and his knees drawn to his chest. One arm hung limp and the other unconsciously trying to wipe the blood off his hand on his legging.

In front of him was a scene of carnage. There were 4 wargs and several orcs lying dead on the ground.

"Legolas?" Adoril questioned softly, not liking the vacant expression in his prince's eyes.

He repeated the prince's name several times, each time getting no response. He reached out tentatively and touched his shoulder. Still no response. Adoril gently shook him. Still nothing. He turned puzzled to Meldon who shrugged, also puzzled.

"Meldon go back to the palace, tell King Thranduil that we found the prince, and to bring a healer. And hurry!"

He watched as Meldon raced back to the palace. He got up and walked to his horse, and got a blanket from the saddlebag. He unfurled it and gently wrapped it around Legolas and sat down to wait.

The healer, the king and the three other princes arrived shortly after dawn. Legolas hadn't moved an inch. Adoril repeatedly said his name or gently shook him. But he never responded.

Thranduil nearly threw himself off of his horse, in his haste to reach his son. Lomion, Thalion and Tasari did as well. Thranduil stopped abruptly when he saw his son. He turned to the healer who rushed past him. He quickly checked Legolas' eyes, temperature and pulse. Then turned to Thranduil.

"He's ok, physically, but emotionally and mental, he's very unstable. We need to get him back to the palace as quick as possible."

"What happened to him?" Lomion whispered.

The healer sighed. "This is just his minds way of telling his body that he needs rest."

They quickly managed to get Legolas behind his father and rode slowly back to the palace. Legolas felt almost lifeless in his father's arms. He was completely limp.

They laid him down on his bed, and were immediately shooed out by the healer. They were allowed back in several hours later.

"Well?" Lomion asked immediately

The healer shook his head. "He should be watched at all times. Emotionally and mentally, he is very, well." He paused thinking on how to word what he needed to say. "In his condition, he is very susceptible to whatever may come to his mind."

Thranduil frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Any and all weapons should be removed from this room."

They all gasped. To even think that Legolas would even think those thoughts was beyond preposterous.

The healer sat down, "I know this sound utterly absurd but I know what I am talking about. Legolas must be watched at all times."

"But look at him!" Tasari burst out. "He hasn't even moved a finger!"

The healer shook his head, "That is why you must keep an eye on him. If he happens to wake up suddenly and no one is here, who knows what he could get into his head." He paused thinking. "King Thranduil, it might be best if once he woke up if he left for a few weeks. He is obviously very traumatized by what has happened in the last few days. If he could leave for a couple weeks he should be able to completely heal. Emotionally and mentally."

Thranduil nodded, understanding what he meant. "Lomion, you will take the first watch, then Thalion, then Tasari and then Lothgil, and then come get me." His children nodded, Lomion went over to the bed, and the rest followed their father out. Thranduil went to his study. And sitting down took up a quill.

"To Lord Elrond of Rivendell..."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List