Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Let me be the one  by LOTRFaith

Chap. 3 - Resting, recovering and remembering

Let me be the one

Leading you through the night

Sharing the smiles and tears you cry

Let me be the one

Lovin' you when you're weak

For all the strength you need

You can come to me

(Let me be the One by Plus One)

They stood around Aragorn's body. He had been washed and dressed in the finest of cloths in Rivendell.

Messengers had been sent to various regions telling of Aragorn's death. Days passed as many had flooded into Rivendell to pay their last respects.

Gandalf stood beside Legolas. He had not spoken, nor eaten in days, everyone was worried about him. He had never moved from Aragorn's last resting place.

Gandalf laid a kind hand on the young elf's shoulder "Come Legolas, even elves must eat and sleep."

The elf did not acknowledge the hand or the words.

Gandalf knelt before the elf looking at the pale face. "Legolas." He said gently "What is a matter elfling?"

Legolas looked at the wizard, his blue eyes full of pain and anguish. "It is my fault." He whispered in a voice barely audible.

They both sensed the presence before they saw the lord of Rivendell. He gently placed his hands on Legolas' shoulders. "It is not your fault, son of Thranduil." He said quietly.

Legolas jerked away. "It is my fault!" He yelled as silent tears slowly made their way past the pale cheeks. "I led him into the forest! Orcs nearly killed him! And then he dies because he got sick from the rain! How is it not my fault!?" He screamed the words at the Elven Lord and the Wizard, not caring how he sounded. Tears streamed down his face, Legolas angrily wiped them away.

There was a choking sound from the bed. All three turned to look. They all gasped as Aragorn jerked up suddenly from his bed. He turned blank eyes to Legolas, blood suddenly poured out his eyes, ears, nose and mouth. He lifted up a finger and pointed at Legolas.

Legolas woke up with a jerk, breathing heavily. The room spun around him. Rubbing a hand over his face he managed to bring the room back into a standstill. He squinted in the bright sunlight filling the room. Where was he? Someone walked through the door. Legolas blinked owlishly at the figure. It was Elladan, no Elrohir.

"How do you feel?"

The figure asked quietly. Legolas rubbed his eyes then it hit him. Aragorn! He yanked back the covers and got up. Intending to by pass whomever the figure was.

A hand caught his wrist. Since he was closer to the figure he could see who it was. It was Elrond. The prince felt blood rush to his head as the room spun 'round him.

Elrond caught him as his knees buckled. Legolas was horrified at how weak he was. Elrond silently helped the shaking prince back into bed and pulled up a chair and sat next to him.

"Legolas." He said quietly. "No one can wake up from a sleeping draught that quickly." Legolas frowned a bit blearily eyed at him, not understanding where the conversation was headed. Elrond placed a gentle but firm hand on Legolas' arm.

"Aragorn is fine. But it is you that I am worried about now." Legolas lowered his eyes to the coverlet. His slender fingers traced the quilted pattern. He remembered all too well the past several days.

(*~*Flash Back*~*)

Aragorn felt a hand grasp his and suddenly he was pulled from the water. He gasped in the air. Each breath hurt, but he was breathing. He felt very faintly drops of water? On his arm. His hand was holding someone else's. He very faintly heard Legolas' voice. He was telling him to come back, to wake up. Aragorn forced his eyes to open. Though his sight was blurry there was no mistaking the elven face just inches from his. Tears still pooled from the silver blue orbs, and worry was etched on the fair face.

He coughed, phlegm coating his throat. He was immediately pulled up and his back pounded on, to get the rest from his lungs. After what seemed like huge amounts of phlegm Aragorn could finally breath easily.

"Legolas." Aragorn whispered. He weakly raised his head up and looked at the other three occupants in the room. Worry and beginning relief was etched on each face. "What's a matter?" Aragorn asked weakly.

"Shhhh, Estel, you need your rest." Elrond gently admonished him. He gently wiped away the sweat that was still beaded on his face. He turned to Elladan and Elrohir. "He will be alright now, go back to bed."

Wearied from the battle of Aragorn's life they nodded and left. Elrond turned to Legolas, intending to tell him the same thing, but something in Legolas' eyes told him that he wouldn't leave the room. Elrond sighed and nodded, he had intended to stay beside Aragorn, but. "If he worsens," Elrond drew Legolas' attention, "Get me immediately."

Legolas nodded, words abandoning him. Legolas watched Elrond leave the room, he stood up stiffly, and walked over to the water basin and filled a cup of water, and gently poured a little bit in Aragorn's mouth, who nodded gratefully and sank into sleep.

Legolas suddenly feeling rather shaky himself sank into a nearby chair. He stared at his sleeping friend. "You did this to him." Legolas drew up his knees, wrapped his arms around them and let his chin rest on his knees. "You did this. You. He nearly died, because of what? You wouldn't talk to him. All he wanted to do was help you, but you shoved him away and he almost died because of it." The words of self-condemnation came easily in Legolas head. "This is your fault." Legolas whispered the words aloud. "This is my fault."

Several days had passed, Aragorn sleeping through each, regaining his strength. Legolas sat with him every day. Food had to be forced upon him. Elrond knew for a fact that Legolas had not slept a bit since Aragorn had fallen sick. He shook his head as he watched the young elf, his eyes never left the sick human. Elrond quietly left, and going to the kitchens he brewed a cup of tea, he took the tea to his study and added a sleeping draught.

"Erulehto!"

The elf came quickly when Elrond called.

"Yes Lord Elrond?"

"Take this the Legolas, and make sure he drinks it." Erulehto nodded and left.

Elrond pressed a hand to his forehead; hopefully the young elf would be to tired to realize what he was drinking.

Erulehto's heart ached as he saw the young elf staring at the human. He gently touched the shoulder of Legolas. Unaware of his surroundings he jumped. His complete attention on Aragorn. Erulehto gave the cup to Legolas. "Tea, drink it all." His voice brooked no argument.

Completely exhausted, Legolas did as Erulehto bade. His hands shaking ever so slightly as he handed back the cup when he was done.

Erulehto stayed in the room watching as the prince's eyes slowly began to close. Erulehto became worried, elves never slept with their eyes closed unless mortally wounded or completely exhausted. Legolas eyes jerked open, then slowly closed, and within seconds Legolas was fast asleep. Satisfied Erulehto left the room and made his way to Elrond's study. He poked his head in the door

"He sleeps with his eyes closed." He told the Elven lord. Elrond quickly stood up, and walked quickly to Aragorn's room. He looked in the doorway; it was true, the prince slept with his eyes closed.

Elladan and Elrohir stood behind their father their eyes on the sleeping prince. Aragorn had been out of danger for a while, but Elrond had drugged him to make sure his body was fully rested before he woke. He had not foreseen Legolas sitting by his side never sleeping and barely eating. He had refused to believe that his friend would be ok until he saw his friend up and around.

Elladan walked past his father and gently picked up the prince. He was shocked to feel how weightless he was. He turned and took Legolas into the next room, the covers had already been thrown back and Elladan gently set the prince down. He removed the leather boots and the over tunic and pulled the covers over him.

(*~*End flashback*~*)

Legolas stared at the elven lord sitting next to him. "You drugged me?" He questioned his normally fair voice was rough from the lack of use and sleep.

Elrond laughed softly. "Yes, son of Thranduil, I drugged you. Had I not, you would have collapsed. I thought that you would prefer falling asleep to fainting."

Elrond studied the young prince before him. He had known Legolas for quite a while. He had known all of the sons and daughters of Thranduil, yet Legolas seemed to some how stick out more than the others. He unlike his siblings very rarely strayed out of Mirkwood. He was a legend with his archery and had an uncanny ability to see even farther than most elven sight. He had welcomed the friendship with Aragorn, even when his father had been completely against it. He smiled at the still blurry-eyed prince. "Even the strongest of elves have to let their feelings out, son of Thranduil."

Legolas lay back on the pillow, his thoughts whirling about in his head. To his utter surprise and horror, tears welled up in his eyes and began to silently make their way down the pale cheeks.

Aragorn forced his eyes open. He tried to lick his lips, but found his mouth was dry. Cool water trickled into his mouth. He focused on the person giving him water. Elrohir.

"Where is Legolas?" He whispered, slightly panicked that his friend was nowhere to be seen.

"Shhh, father drugged his tea, he hasn't slept in nearly a week."

"Why?" Aragorn croaked. Elrohir placed his fingers on Aragorn lips indicating that he shouldn't speak.

"You have been sick, and father has drugged you to make sure you are fully healed. Legolas is just sleeping."

Aragorn nodded and drifted back into sleep.

Legolas woke with a jerk and immediately the room swam before his eyes. He closed them and put a hand on his throbbing temples. Where was he? His head snapped up "Aragorn!"

He pushed the covers off his legs and ran barefoot across the hall into Aragorn's room. His heart nearly stopped when he saw the bed neatly made. Aragorn was nowhere to be seen.

At a slight noise behind him, he whirled around thinking he would see Elrond. It was Aragorn.

Legolas stared at his friend who was obviously healthy. Legolas swallowed and hesitantly reached out, barely breathing and touched Aragorn's shoulder. He jerked back when Aragorn started laughing,

"I am not a ghost, come back to haunt you Legolas."

Legolas took a deep breath, closed his eyes and started to shake. He hadn't slept in days, fearing for Aragorn's life. He had poured his strength and entire focus into seeing Aragorn well.

Now that the danger was past, the relief nearly overwhelmed him. He staggered backwards, until his back found the wall. He released a shuddering breath.

Instantly Aragorn was beside him "Legolas? Are you alright?" He questioned worriedly.

Legolas grinned at him tiredly. "I am well." He replied softly.

A soft chuckle brought both heads up. "You are not well, Legolas." Elrond stated quietly.

Aragorn laughed quietly earning him a glare from his friend.

Elrond placed a hand on Legolas' shoulder, feeling Legolas shaking he motioned to his room. "Come Legolas, you need rest, something that you have not had. And food."

Legolas started to nod but decided against it when the room started to swim before his eyes.

"Legolas?" The quiet voice of Aragorn brought him back to reality.

He smiled wearily and let Aragorn help him to his room, as Elrond walked to his study to get some herbs. He sank gratefully under the covers, Elrond handed Aragorn a cup of tea. Legolas made a face; he knew what was in the tea. He looked up hopefully at Elrond

"If I sleep will I get to skip the tea?"

Elrond only raised an eyebrow. Legolas sighed and looked distastefully at the cup in his still shaking hands.

"Drink it, Legolas."

The prince looked up at the human. He curled his lip disdainfully, but was refrained from speaking by Elrond.

"Legolas, you will drink this tea and then you will sleep." There was no give in his voice.

Seeing no other escape the prince closed his eyes and quickly drank the tea. He grimaced at the awful taste. But the herbs worked quickly on his already worn down state and soon he was fast asleep.

*~*~*

Legolas woke up abruptly. It was night and a cool breeze gently blew the thin curtain open. He rubbed his forehead. Even sleeping herbs could not help him not remember the past. He rose quietly, his eyes quickly scanning the room.

Aragorn wasn't there. The prince let out a small sigh of relief. Even though the ranger was his best friend, well, even best friends needed to get away from each other.

He walked out onto the balcony. He thought over what he had spoken to Elrond about. It had been hard to tell him what had transpired between him and his father. Legolas closed his eyes and let the slight wind brush against his face. He was going to have to talk to Aragorn about what happened, but for now all he wanted was to gaze at the stars.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List