Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Let me be the one  by LOTRFaith

Complications

Under the silver stars

Anywhere you are

Near or far you are close to me

When you don't understand

And when you think nobody cares

I'll be the friend and the hope you need

(Let me be the One by Plus One)

Legolas! Legolas! I know you are here!" Aragorn yelled into the forest.

Silence answered him, exasperated Aragorn turned to leave

"Fine! If you want to be alone, so be it! I only wanted to help!" As he turned he heard a rustle, he quickly turned back thinking it was Legolas, an arrow whizzed by his face. Shocked Aragorn fell flat to the ground.

"Legolas! What are you doing?" He yelled. Orc laughter answered him. Aragorn quickly stood reaching for his sword, only to grasp air. He had left his sword in Rivendell a good ways back. Turning he started to run. Arrows thudded into the trees by him. He gasped for breath; he hoped that Legolas hadn't been caught off guard in his mood. He tripped and struggled to get up, he felt something on his back, and whirled around only to see an arrow fly from seemingly nowhere and kill the orc standing almost on top of him.

"Estel! Over here!"

Aragorn ran to the voice. Arrows flew out of the trees and killed many of the orcs. Startled by the sudden rush of arrows the orcs turned and fled into the woods. Aragorn however, wasn't so lucky.

"What do you think you're doing! You could have been killed! Where are your weapons? Do you know how stupid that was? Going into the forest without any weapons! I thought you knew better!!"

Aragorn pushed Elladan's hands off him, "Leave me alone, Elladan, I was looking for Legolas." His voice trailed off as he realized that Legolas was still in the forest, unaware of the orcs. "Legolas!"

Legolas closed his eyes, trying to calm himself. "You know that your father is right." A voice in his head said quietly.

"I know, I know," Legolas muttered to himself, "but..."

"He's only doing what is best for not only you but Mirkwood." The voice persisted.

Legolas shook his head angrily. He turned and pressed his forehead to the nearest tree fighting back tears. He took a deep breath trying to get ride of the sudden lump in his throat.

Thunder rolled a crossed the sky, Legolas looked up, noticing the dark angry clouds, and the realization that he was far from Rivendell. Turning he started the long trek back.

*~*~*

Rain soaked through Aragorn's clothing. He was wet, miserable and still couldn't find Legolas. Elladan, Elrohir and several other warriors were spread out looking for the prince. "Legolas! Legolas!"

"What?"

A sudden weary voice behind Aragorn startled him and turning quickly his feet caught in a branch and he fell and stared into the sober face of Legolas. He quickly got up and hesitantly laid a hand on Legolas shoulder.

"Are you alright?"

Legolas shrugged indifferently, turned and started walking back to Rivendell.

Aragorn rolled his eyes, "Elladan! Elrohir! I found him!"

The twins waved to show they had heard and told the other warriors and together they all started back to Rivendell, all were wet, tired, and miserable.

Though elves didn't feel the cold rain as human would, wet clothes were still uncomfortable. As they spilled into Rivendell, Aragorn sneezed wetly. Elladan and Elrohir turned to him concerned. They had been in the rain for several hours with no protection.

Frowning Aragorn waved them off, and started after Legolas who walked to the guest room and was starting to take off his tunic. He stopped and stared at Aragorn,

"What?"

Aragorn frowned back, "You! You go off into the forest with no weapons, mad as ever, and all you can say is what!?" Aragorn yelled, the effect of the words would have been better had not Aragorn suddenly sneezed again.

Legolas looked at Aragorn with concern written on his face. "Are you alright?" He asked softly.

"I'm fine." Aragorn brushed aside the question.

A quiet chuckle from the doorway spun him around. Elrond walked in and gently laid a hand on Aragorn's forehead. "You are sick." It was a statement not a question.

Aragorn started to protest, but with a look from Elrond he decided against it. Besides, he wasn't feeling to well, his head was buzzing and his throat hurt. Before he left he turned to Legolas, "I'm not finished with you!" He threatened and left.

Aragorn hurt all over. Deep rattling coughs caused him to curl on his side in hopes that they would stop. It hurt to breath and what little air he did get in his lungs was immediately expelled due to the coughs. He groaned pressing his hands to his head.

"Aragorn?"

Aragorn was so deep in his misery and the coughing didn't hear the soft voice from the doorway. Legolas peered through the darkness at the coughing figure on the bed he walked over to the bed and laid a hand on Aragorn's shoulder. Aragorn turned to look at his friend. Perspiration dotted his face. Legolas laid a slender hand on Aragorn's forehead.

Heat radiated off of Aragorn's skin. Immediately concerned Legolas quickly ran out the door to Elrond's room and pounded on the door. "Lord Elrond! Lord Elrond!" The door jerked open.

"What! What is a matter?"

Legolas quickly explained as he pulled the elf lord to Aragorn's room. Elrond bent over his son, worry evident in his eyes. Legolas quickly stoked up the fire.

"Legolas." Elrond drew his attention. "Go get Elladan and Elrohir."

Legolas nodded and quickly ran out the room.

Legolas ran down the hallway, words echoing in his head "This is your fault! Yours! If you hadn't run off into the woods, none of this would have happened."

In his haste and self-condemnation he passed the twins door. He cursed at himself, turned and flung the door open. He went to Elladan's bed first.

"Wake up Elladan!"

Elladan groaned, "Go 'way." He said sleepily.

"Elladan! It's Estel, he's sick. Your father needs you!" At these words both bolted upright in their beds.

"What?!?"

"Estel is sick!" Legolas shouted at them and ran out the door, knowing that they would follow. He rushed back into the room; he could hear Aragorn coughing, deep hacking coughs.

"It's all your fault!" The words flew into Legolas mind. He shoved them away ruthlessly, he knew it was his fault but he knew that Aragorn needed him now. He bent over Aragorn, Elrond looked up at the bleak face.

"Hold him down, Legolas." He requested softly.

Legolas pressed his hands to Aragorn's chest. Elladan and Elrohir barged in. "Hold his legs." Elrond commanded them. They grabbed Aragorn's legs and watched as their father carefully poured a vile smelling tea down Aragorn's throat.

Aragorn was in a river, why he didn't know. Hands were holding him down, pushing him further down under the water. He choked, someone was forcing his mouth open and letting the dark water pour in his mouth. He fought against the hands and the water. Panic surged through his body. Why were they trying to drown him?

Time seemed to stand still for Legolas as he watched his friend writhe on the bed. Coughs shook the young human, and his breathing grew shallow.

"Lasto beth!" (Come back) Elrond cried.

Aragorn weakly shook his head, still fighting off the hands that were drowning him. Water filled his lungs, he gasped for breath, but couldn't find any air. Hands pushed down on his chest. He weakly tried to push away the hands, but he was too weak.

"Breath! Aragorn! Breath!"

But Aragorn didn't feel like breathing. Legolas watched in horror as his friend stopped breathing and his lips started turning blue.

"No!" He screamed at his friend. "You can't die! Come back!" In his panic he shook Aragorn's shoulders, trying desperately to wake his friend. He pushed down on Aragorn chest. "Breathe!" He yelled "Breathe!"

Elrond gently placed his hands on the prince's shaking shoulders. "He is gone, Legolas." He said quietly, his heart breaking in his chest. Time stood still as the elves looked at the ranger, each loosing hope.

"No." Legolas whispered. He sank to his knees on the bed, grabbed Aragorn's hand and pressed it to his forehead. Tears welled up in the silver-blue eyes and down his face, "No."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List