Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Let me be the one  by LOTRFaith

Aragorn stood alone on terrace, lost in his thoughts. A gentle breeze blew across the troubled face unnoticed.

"What is a matter, Estel?"

Aragorn jumped unaware of that somebody had come up beside him.

"Oh, nothing, Ada."

Elrond smiled "Nothing?" Aragorn heaved a sigh, running his fingers through his hair, "It's just that, well..."

He sighed again, frustrated. "It's Legolas. He father and his got in a big argument before he came here, and when I asked about it, Legolas just brushed it off. But I can see the pain and hurt in his eyes, and he won't talk about it."

Elrond reflected on the silent question before he answered. "How do you know they had an argument, Estel?" Elrond questioned softly.

"Meldon told me." Came the sober reply. "Meldon was really worried about Legolas, he said they he had never seen him like this."

Elrond smiled and asked the seemingly obvious. "Why don't you tell Legolas that you are worried about him?"

Aragorn shrugged, "Do you think he'd listen to me?"

Elrond laughed. No the prince probably wouldn't, "But," He said aloud. "It wouldn't hurt to try."

*~*~*~*

"Legolas! Legolas!" Aragorn looked in his room then in Legolas' room. He wasn't there. He looked up at the oncoming elf "Adoril have you seen Legolas?"

The elf looked up, anger and confusion showing clearly in his eyes. "Yes! And you need to go and talk to him!"

Aragorn was taken aback by the outburst. "Why? What's a matter?" Aragorn asked concerned.

"See for yourself, he's in the Hall of Fire." Came the mysterious reply.

Aragorn frowned as the elf walked away. What was going on?

Legolas was in a foul mood. He paced the length of the Hall of Fire. Why did his father have to be so stubborn? Why couldn't he just. Legolas turned too swiftly and caught his toe on a piece of furniture. Curses flowed easily in westron.

"Legolas!" The shocked voice startled Legolas. He turned quickly to see Meldon standing at the door.

"What do you want?" Legolas questioned sharply.

"What's a matter with you, Legolas? What is bothering you?"

"Nothing!" Meldon looked in shock at his departing friend. What was going on?

Aragorn stepped into the Hall of Fire prepared to talk to Legolas. He found a confused Meldon instead. Aragorn frowned "Where is Legolas?"

"Somewhere." Meldon gestured to the door where Legolas had stalked off. Meldon stopped him with a word, "Aragorn. Last time he was in this kind of mood, well." The elf shook his head soberly.

Aragorn stepped back "what?"

Meldon hesitated, "Just be careful."

Elladan and Elrohir stared at the prince in shock. They had gone to practice their archery but instead found an angry elf literally hurling arrow after arrow at each of the targets each becoming further and further away yet the arrows still flew with deadly accuracy.

Legolas never paused; arrow after arrow flew from his bow, mere seconds apart. Once the targets all had an arrow in the center, he continued to fire the arrows each landing an exact inch away from the previous one. Soon the arrows in his quiver were all spent. The prince, in disgust threw his bow down and stalked off into the forest.

Aragorn went to the target practice area only to find Elladan and Elrohir pulling out arrows from the targets.

"Where's Legolas?" He questioned.

Elladan looked at Aragorn incredulously, "You mean you are trying to find him?"

Aragorn frowned at Elladan, "Yes, now where is he?"

Elladan shook his head, and pointed to the forest entrance. With another sigh Aragorn started off once again to find Legolas.

Legolas climbed up a tree that had thick branches, where he could sit and think. He needed to clear his thoughts and for that he needed to be alone. He climbed easily higher and higher 'til he found the perfect branch. He sat down; one leg tucked under the other, and leaned back. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes and listened to the wind rustle through the trees. Letting his thoughts drift back to that awful day in Mirkwood, he could still hear both his and his father's words.

"You can't!"

"You are the prince of Mirkwood, not just an elf Legolas! You know that I must do this! Soon you will have these responsibilities, duties.."

"I don't want it! I don't want it!"

"You have no choice!"

"Leave me alone!!!!!"

"Legolas come back here!

Legolas!"

Legolas jerked up.

"Legolas? Where are you? What is matter?"

He looked down at Aragorn, who was obviously searching for him. He frowned at the ranger and kept quiet, intending to ignore him. But the words caught his attention.

"Legolas, I know about the argument you and your father had. Do you want to talk about it? Meldon is really worried about you. Legolas! I know that you can hear me."

Legolas jumped down from the near suicidal height, ignoring the sudden pain in his ankles as he angrily confronted the ranger. "What do you know? You weren't there. You don't understand and I DON"T want to talk about it. So LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!"

Shocked at Legolas sudden appearance and harsh words Aragorn could only watch as his friend stalked off into the woods. Aragorn ran a hand through his hair, confused. Something was defiantly bothering the elf, and he intended on find exactly what it was. He started after the prince, oblivious to the fact that neither he nor Legolas had any weapons.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List