Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Kindred  by GamgeeFest

Ferumbras stood to stretch his legs. Twitch rose to his feet also but neither made a move towards the carriage. 

“I often look back at that one week at the Free Fair and wonder if there was any hint of what was to come,” Ferumbras concluded his tale. “How could one week change all our lives so dramatically? And why did Perry Nettleburr have to chose that year to attend? I suppose in the end it was inevitable.”

The Thain fell silent, staring off into a past that still made little sense to him. 

Twitch wasn’t sure what to make of the Thain’s story. In a way, it answered a lot of questions about all the fuss taking place there now. In other ways, it created more questions and he could only hope he’d have the opportunity to have those answered later. It was clear to Twitch that Ferumbras only knew so much for certain; the rest he guessed after years of thinking back and perhaps picking up a whisper here and there.

“Miss Amaryllis sounds just like any other Took I know, begging your pardon,” Twitch said. “What happened after the party? Why’ve I never heard of her afore?”

“That would be Mother’s doing,” Ferumbras said.

“But why has my dad never told me?”

“Again, Mother. But I also suspect your father was in love with Darling. Even if he had been permitted to speak of it, I don’t think he would have. I think that’s why he agreed to take me to Nohill, once it was all over. It was there it all ended for him, you see. He needed to let it go, I suppose, to move on.”

“Did something terrible happen there?” Twitch asked, feeling dread at the Thain’s hollow expression.

“Some would say yes. I only know what I heard. After the Fair, it seemed like everything would end all right, that everything would go back to normal. A year passed. Then Ami came of age and tried to reunite with her love. Even that seemed to have been resolved, but we all knew. Somehow, I think we all knew how it would end. It’s the Curse of the Tooks, after all.”



~*~



Chapter 18 - Torn

They arrived at Great Smials just before luncheon the following day. Sprig said little on the way back, aside from ‘yes, sir’ and ‘yes, ma’am’ whenever Adalgrim or Clematis required something. He said even less to Ami. He was more than happy to unload his charges at the stables and return to his regular duties of attending ponies, such easy-going, predictable creatures.

Adalgrim split from the others once inside the Smials. He needed to report to Fortinbras that they had returned and all was well. Clematis and Pally continued with Ami to their rooms. Being past noon and so close to luncheon, they only ran into a few relations, who expressed mild surprise at Ami’s early return from her Adventures. Clematis gave some obligatory response that explained nothing at all and kept them moving. They were soon in the quiet of their apartment. 

Ami went to her room to rest. Pally helped his mother make lunch for them. Once Adalgrim was back, they ate quietly in the kitchen. Ami was summoned from her room and sat at her chair politely. She had hardly spoken since the day before, but her appetite was as strong as ever. She finished her meal quickly and excused herself back to her room.

An hour after their arrival, Esme came home. She spent a few brief moments with her parents before going to check on her sister. She found Ami lying prostrate on her bed, staring blankly at the canopy. She joined her sister on the large mattress, sitting tailor-fashion beside her. She was just figuring out how to ask what had happened, when Ami spoke.

“His grandmother made me leave. She said I didn’t belong there.”

“I’m sorry, love.” Esme was sorry to see her sister forlorn, but she couldn’t say she regretted the end of this whole affair. Perhaps now Ami would allow herself to realize what a marvelous lad Marcho Hornblower was and win him back from Rosalie Chubb. “What happened?”

Ami inhaled deeply, let it out slowly. She sat up and faced the wall for a different view. She felt as though she had run into a wall, repeatedly and in quick succession, so it was only appropriate she look at one. 

“I arrived there with little difficulty just after elevenses. I admit, I was shocked by what I saw. Perry had told me but... I thought I’d maybe help them fix repairs on old buildings. There were some buildings, but that’s by the strictest definition. I wouldn’t even house a pig in those shacks. They do have gardens, though it seems they’ve only enough to feed themselves. I’d never been so afraid, Esme, but what else could I do? I kept riding and by the time I reached the village, it seemed like every hobbit in it was waiting for me. They thought I was lost, and when I introduced myself and asked for Perry Nettleburr they all looked at me with such shock and amazement, like I was something they’d never seen before.”

She detailed her stay in Nohill, up to and including the meeting with her parents and Eveline tossing her out of the village. She did not tell Esme about staying to speak with Perry privately. What transpired then was between her and Perry alone. She closed her eyes and felt again the press of his lips on hers, the tight clench of his hands on her waist. He had held her so tightly she could hardly breathe, but she hadn’t noticed. She remembered his whisper in her ear, his promise to her. She clung to that promise; it was all she had left.

“Oh, Darling, I’m sorry,” Esme said when Ami stopped talking. She hugged her sister tight, though privately she was grateful to Eveline for seeing what Ami could not, that such a union was impossible. She couldn’t tell Ami that however, so she settled for patting Ami’s back while Ami took several deep breaths.

After a few minutes Ami pulled away. Her eyes were dry but red. “Why did they have to follow me? What did they think was going to happen?”

“They thought you were going to elope.”

Ami stared at her, stunned. “Elope?” She said the word as though she had never heard it before. “Why would I do such a silly thing?”

“I told them that wasn’t part of your plan, but you know how they worry sometimes.” 

“I think they liked Perry.”

Esme patted her back again. “Do you want me to bring you anything?”

“Anything sweet,” Ami said. 

“I’ll be right back,” Esme said.

Ami heard the door click behind her sister. She looked up at the canopy but didn’t see it. She was seeing Perry’s golden eyes, full of yearning and determination.

She would see him again.




“I don’t know what the lass was thinking, going off on an Adventure. At least she came to her senses,” Lalia said over tea that afternoon. This was the general consensus among the inhabitants of the Smials, who were delighted and surprised to discover that Ami had returned so soon and before the Curse could get her.

Fortinbras and Rumbi said nothing. Neither liked keeping secrets from Lalia, but if she discovered the truth, it wouldn’t take long for everyone else to learn it as well. So far the only ones who knew what Ami had really been planning were themselves, her family, Marcho Hornblower and the groom Sprig. None of them were about to say anything. 

Rumbi wanted desperately to talk to Ami, but he wasn’t sure how much she herself knew. Did she know that he and his father knew about her plot? If she did not, how would she react to learning that they did? Rumbi figured the best thing to do was to wait until dinner and approach her in the dining hall. He could ask how her Adventure went and let her lead the conversation from there. She would either trust him enough to tell him, or she’d come up with some story. If necessary, he could ask Pally but he didn’t know if Pally would be any more forthcoming.

Only none of the Whitwell Tooks were present at dinner that night, or breakfast the following morning. Even Amber and Heather had chosen to dine with their family in their apartments. 

He spotted Ami and Amber taking Arlo for a stroll over the hills later that morning, but they were surrounded by a flock of Ami’s friends and he was unable to approach them. He did pause and watch her for a time. She was smiling and laughing, but even at that distance, he could see the slump of her shoulders. Surely they must see it too, but there was nothing unusual about the way they were treating her.

He did manage to get in a few words with Pally at luncheon. They took their food to the Thain’s study and Pally gave him a brief recount of everything that transpired. He had no more to add than what Adalgrim had told his father. He did mention that Sprig had been nearly rude to Ami the following morning. He had wanted to mention it to Fortinbras, but Adalgrim figured they had enough trouble.

“Ami writes to him,” Rumbi said. “I think he is, or was, enamored with her. He’s engaged though, to one of the chambermaids.”

“I suppose he’s just disappointed. I know I am. What was Ami thinking, falling for someone like that? And his grandmother! I don’t know who’s worse, her or Lalia. Don’t take this the wrong way, but she’d have been much better off marrying you. At least you can see she has all she wants and needs.”

“No I couldn’t. Not all she wants,” Rumbi said. He didn’t know what to make of Nettleburr. Had there been any warning that summer of what was transpiring? Clearly, Pally had thought so. Pally had asked Rumbi to tell Ami not to continue associations with Nettleburr, but Rumbi had been content with her explanation for seeing the lad had something to eat and had not seen a reason to lecture her. Would that even have helped or made the situation worse? Was there anything any of them could have done to prevent any this? Not from the sounds of it.

So what did Nettleburr have that Rumbi didn’t? And why was Rumbi even obsessing over this when he had chosen to marry Chrysanthemum? In fact, he should be preparing for the Grubbses arrival.

“Darling and Mum are meeting with Marcho and his mother for tea,” Pally volunteered with a frown. “Darling told Mum and Da she’d talk to Marcho.”

“You don’t think she should?”

“Not for this reason. Not because she feels she has no other option. She could have any lad she wanted.”

Except for the one she really wanted. The truth hung uncomfortably between them, silent but ever present.

Rumbi cleared his throat. “She just needs time. She’ll come to love Marcho.”

“I’m sure she will.”

They finished their meal speaking of fishing, golf and hunting. 

In the room adjoining the Thain’s study, Lalia silently seethed. 




Ami refrained from sighing. She had been refraining all through this dismal tea, and it was becoming a chore, draining her of what little energy she had. She wanted nothing more than to retreat to her room and crawl into bed, but that was out of the question for the time being. She was stuck here, trapped as surely as a coney in a sling. Her chest felt too tight. She was short-winded and the walls were too close. It was an effort to concentrate on what was being said around her.

“Don’t you agree, Darling?”

“Hm?”

Clematis treated her with a warning glare. Jonquil Hornblower grinned, looking confused. “I was saying that a wedding in the spring would be most ideal, just after the Clearing but before the Sowing.”

“Oh. Yes. Absolutely,” Ami agreed hastily. She risked a glance at Marcho, who was watching her with concern.

Marcho turned to his mother. “Mum, Darling and I aren’t actually Promised yet.”

“Well then ask her already before she can slip off again! You brought it, didn’t you?”

“I forgot it.”

“Well, it’s only for ceremony anyway. Ask the lass, you can give her the token later.” Jonquil beamed at her son and Ami.

“May I have a moment alone with your daughter, Mistress Clematis? Just out in the garden?”

“Of course,” Clematis said. She watched Marcho take her daughter’s hand and escort her outside to the gardens that lined the sitting rooms. She reached for the tea kettle once the door was closed behind them. “More tea, dear?”

Jonquil nodded. “Thank you, Clematis. Or what about an autumn wedding, just when the leaves are turning? That’d be lovely, don’t you think?”

Clematis’s return smile was tight. “It would be, but I think it’s best to let the children decide what they want.”

“How long do you think until we have grandchildren?”

Grandchildren. In all this time, Clematis had never once thought about grandchildren. She saw again the vast nothingness of Nohill and tried not to shudder. As much as she had liked Nettleburr, she could only hope that Ami would come to her senses and settle on Marcho. 

Outside, Marcho led Ami to the farthest corner of the garden and settled on the grass. He was aware that anyone in other sections or walking the pathways could still hear them, even if their mothers couldn’t, so he kept his voice low as he asked Ami about her Adventure. “I gather it didn’t go so well.”

Ami shook her head. “Thank you for not saying anything.”

“To be honest, it was for my sake as much as yours. If word got out I was conspiring like a Took, my kin would disown me.”

Ami managed a smile. “You’re an honorary Took if I ever knew one. Have you had any luck with Rosalie?”

“Some. She thinks I’m courting you of course, so she’s been keeping her distance. I think she’s interested though.”

“How do we get out of this?”

“Tell the truth, or as much of it as we can. We could say that in your brief stint of an Adventure, you realized you weren’t ready to settle down yet and I realized that Took blood was too bold for me after all, and we parted friends.” Marcho rested an arm over her shoulders. “Or we could get married.”

“And what about Rosalie?”

“She won’t know the difference.”

“You’re fond of her.”

“Aye, but I’m fond of you too. I might prove to be boring for you.”

“You’re not boring to me.” Ami rested her head on his shoulder. “I look at Amber and Heather and remember how happy they were when they were planning their nuptials. To husbands they no longer have. So short a time they had to be married, to belong to someone else. If I ever fooled myself to think I could be content with someone other than Perry, I know better now. It’s him or it’s no one.”

“What are you planning?”

She shook her head. “He’s coming for me. He figures he can change his grandmother’s mind, and even if he doesn’t, he’s going to come for me.”

“I can keep a lookout for him if you want, but first, we should tell our mothers we decided to call it quits. Will yours suspect anything, do you think?”

“Probably, but no more than she already does. Thank you for being such a dear friend to me, Marcho.”

“Just let me kiss you once. That’ll be all the thanks I need.”

Ami grinned and kissed him gently, a soft pressing of lips, nothing more. “Good luck to you.”

“And to you. You’re going to need it more than me,” Marcho said, standing. He offered his hand and helped her to her feet. Then they went inside to break the news.



By dinner, everyone had heard the news. Ami’s friends gathered around her at table and offered their condolences. They seemed to think she needed comforting, even after she told them it was a mutual agreement and there were no ill feelings. Dicentra offered to let Ami sleep over that night so they could talk, and Verbena and Euphorbia started planning the rest of her week, packing it with activities to keep Ami’s mind off Marcho. They didn’t seem to believe her when she said she was fine. Dicentra even patted her hand and said, clearly humoring her, “Of course you are, dear heart. You’ll be just fine.”

If Ami had felt suffocated before, she realized now that there were worse things than simply missing your love. She didn’t want to lie to her friends, she didn’t want to let them believe that this supposed break up with Marcho was difficult for her, too difficult for her to be comforted by her friends. Yet she couldn’t fathom spending endless hours, no, days, explaining over and over again that she was fine, that this was what she wanted. If only she could tell them about Perry, but she knew that would be unwise. 

Yet, why was it unwise? She wasn’t ashamed of Perry, far from it. He might be poor but that was hardly a reason not to tell her friends about him. Her parents had warmed to him sooner than she had thought they would, so surely her friends would understand. She glanced at her parents, so clearly happy to have her home. Pally was watching her closely, just as he had been since Nohill. Too closely. She hedged and assured her friends that she was certain to find her one true love soon. They were quick to agree.

She managed to hold out until afters, then she excused herself to her room. She wasn’t surprised when she heard someone calling after her halfway down the tunnel. She was surprised when it turned out to be Amber. She waited for her sister to join her and followed as Amber led the way back to her own apartment. Once they were safe inside and the door closed, Amber sat Ami down on the settee.

“Mum and Da told me everything,” Amber started. Her tone and expression were sympathetic and sincere, and Ami listened intently, wondering where this was going. “It’s easy to get lost in the emotion of love. You see only that one person, and everything else just fades away. You miss things, sometimes important things, because of that. This place, Nohill, it’s not going to get fixed in a year, or even two or five. Are you sure you’re prepared for this, Darling? Or do you think Perry would agree to move here?”

Ami tried to imagine Perry dressed up proper, having tea in the sitting rooms and speaking about the latest scandals and secrets. It was enough to make her smile. He might be more comfortable back on their farm in Whitwell, but he would want to get his hands dirty, not simply oversee things as her father did. And he would not under any circumstances abandon his people.

As though sensing the way her thoughts were going, Amber continued, “I understand why they originally settled there. They couldn’t go back to their homes and were understandably too afraid to join any of the other towns, but that’s over. They needn’t be frightened anymore. They can move on, settle into proper homes in Pincup or wherever else they want to go. If Perry wants to bring his family to Whitwell, I’m sure Mum and Da wouldn’t object.”

Ami remembered the thrill in the eyes of the hobbits when she was talking about building up Nohill, making homes, planning the tannery, plotting proper gardens and digging wells. Perry’s grandfather was the only reason that village had been settled, and he had passed away over a year ago. If any of them had wanted to leave Nohill, they would have done so already. They loved their home and wouldn’t give it up easily. Nor would Perry. 

“So maybe it will take longer than a year,” Ami said, sobered by the thought but every bit as determined as before. “I’m prepared for that, so long as Perry is at my side.”

Amber reached out and brushed the bangs from Ami’s brow. Her smile was proud but sad. “I imagine all the Shire started out that way; we’ve just forgot.” She pushed Ami’s hair behind her ear, a comforting gesture. “Are you sure about this? About him? If you add up the amount of time you’ve actually spent together, it’s hardly more than a day.”

“I knew as soon as I saw him, I just didn’t know that I knew, if that makes sense. But it was instant. I looked up and saw him standing there, so small and uncertain. Then he started talking about his sheep, and he transformed. He was grand and confident and still unassuming. And the more I spoke with him, the more certain I became. He’s kindred to me. He’s a part of me, and I’m a part of him. We can’t be separated, no matter how far apart we may be.”

Amber’s hand left Ami’s hair and settled on her shoulder. She smiled at her younger sister, bittersweet and proud. “You’re lucky then. Not all of us get to have that. If that’s how you truly feel, then I wish you well, Darling. Promise you’ll visit us from time to time, and you’ll write regularly.”

“I’ll write a letter every day,” Ami promised and hugged her sister. For the first time, this actually felt possible and she could hardly wait for Perry to arrive.




That night, Clematis and Adalgrim again lay awake. They hadn’t spoken yet about Ami and Marcho breaking off their false courtship. They had meant to, until they returned to their apartment to find Amber waiting for them. Ami and Esme were spending the night with Amber and Heather, and Pally was at the inn with Ferdinand. Amber took the opportunity to speak with them in private and she’d had a lot to say.

Now they lay in silence, each thinking the same things, the same doubts, the same hopes. Finally, Adalgrim sighed and Clematis took his hand.

“He does seem like a nice lad,” she said. “He’s honest enough. He didn’t have to tell us about his grandfather.”

“Ami could still find someone else. She could change her mind.”

“I don’t think so. Pally was right. If she hasn’t changed her mind by now, she won’t. She’s set on him.”

“If they don’t rebuild, she’ll be living in squalor.”

“We’ll convince her to come home. Somehow, we’ll convince her.”

Adalgrim turned his hand and laced his fingers with hers. “Do we send her back? I don’t think I can do that.”

“We let him come for her, as he promised her. If he doesn’t, that will tell us all we really need to know.”

“Maybe he won’t come.”

Clematis squeezed his hand. “Maybe he won’t.”

“What if he does?”

“Then we’ll go down that path when we come to it.”




Afterlithe passed without a peep from Nohill, and Wedmath was nearly half over when the Whitwell Tooks began preparing to return to their home amongst the farmlands. They had stayed longer than they normally would, and they all noticed Ami’s many wanderings over the hills. She could often be seen looking out to the east, watching for movement on the distant horizon. Sometimes Pally and Esme joined her, and Marcho was true to his word, keeping a watch when Ami couldn’t until his family returned to their home. Adalgrim and Clematis sympathized, but they couldn’t wait indefinitely. Harvest would arrive all too soon, and they had matters to attend to. 

When they finally announced that they would be going home in two days’ time, Ami again felt the tightness in her chest squeezing out all the air. Why hadn’t Perry come? What if he arrived after they left? What if he was waiting in Whitwell? But no, she had told him they were staying in Tuckborough, so surely he would come here first. She needed only wait, even if that meant remaining behind when her family returned to Whitwell. 

The day of their departure had nearly come when Perry at last arrived. Ami and Esme were strolling along the hills near dusk and were preparing to turn back towards the Smials when they both spotted movement on a distant hill. That was nothing new or unexpected. Tooks often came from that way on their return from hunting in the Woody End or fishing in the streams. Out of habit, they waited until they could see the approaching figures more clearly, which at this hour meant waiting until they were nearly at the same hill on which they stood. 

Esme could sense Ami’s growing excitement as the group came closer. Though Ami remained still, she was shaking with the effort, waiting until she was sure. The group reached the bottom of the hill and stopped. Then one figure came forward and Ami was hurrying down the hill to meet him. 

They met about halfway, Ami colliding into Perry with such force that she almost knocked them both over. She was barely aware of the tears trailing down her face as she clung to him and felt his arms circle around her to hold her close. Perry started to say something, but she stopped him with a kiss. She didn’t know how long it was before she became aware of their audience again. She took a half-step back with reluctance, but kept her hands clenched in his, afraid that if she let go, he would disappear.

“I’m sorry,” Perry said. “I’m sorry I’m late.”

Ami shook her head. “You’re just in time.” She looked to the group that stood at the bottom of the hill. “Were you expecting resistance?”

He grinned. “I heard as the Tooks have archers.” He sobered quickly and closed the distance between them with another hug. “I was afraid I’d lose my nerve halfway here. They were to pick me up and carry me if they had to.”

“Do I scare you that much?” She was mostly joking.

“Aye. I was terrified ye’d’ve changed yer mind.”

“And here I was beginning to wonder if you had changed yours.” She breathed in the scent of him, the familiar, lovely twang of dirt, earth, sheep and Perry, before stepping back again. “Your grandmother?”

“She’ll learn to love ye as I do.” He was grinning again, but even in the fading light Ami could see the worry in his eyes. “She consented but she still has her concerns. She just needs some time, is all. She did give me this for ye.” He reached into a pocket and pulled out a ribbon with a wooden lily dangling from it. “Granddad gave this to her when they were Promised. He carved it himself. She’s never taken it off till now. The ribbon’s new though. It’s hard to tell in this light, but it matches yer eyes.” He forced himself to stop babbling, took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He looked at her intently, hopefully. “Will ye marry me, Ami?”

Tears threatened to spill again as Ami nodded. “Aye, I will. I’ll marry you, Perry.”

They kissed again, and Perry slipped the necklace over Ami’s head, gently lifting her hair so it settle it upon her shoulders. She shivered as his fingers lightly brushed against her neck and collar bone. He was being so gentle, so caring, her heart swelled with affection and the tears did spill over. She hugged him again, she couldn’t seem to stop herself from touching him in some way, and she breathed his scent once more. 

Finally, she forced herself to step away but she kept hold of his hand. “Ready for this?”

“As I’ll ever be.” He breathed deep again and turned to the group behind them. “She said aye.”

“Then she’s a glutton for punishment and perfect for ye,” Merlin’s voice drifted up as the group began to move towards them. 

From above, Esme made her way down. Soon, they circled the couple and Ami recognized all the faces, though she had forgotten a few of the names. She introduced her sister, and Perry obliged them both by introducing his brother and friends. Besides Merlin, there were three of their friends, Dougal, Will, and Filigon, and their cousin Arvin. All but Merlin were of age. Ambrosia and her mother were also there; Ami knew without asking that they were there in case this plan actually worked, so that Ami wouldn’t have to travel alone to Nohill with a group of lads. It was the proper thing to do, and whether they had come out of friendship for her or loyalty to Perry, she was glad for their presence. 

“You must be hungry after your journey,” Esme said, thinking fast. Dinner was over in the Smials but there were liable to be some hobbits lingering in the dining hall; it was the labyrinth of tunnels leading to it that would pose the greatest risk. Their guest quarters were near enough an entrance hole that they could probably get the group there without being seen. That seemed safest for all concerned. They could figure out later where everyone would sleep. “We can take them to our apartments.”

“What? Go in there?” Dougal asked, looking up the hills at the many lighted windows of the Great Smials. As they watched, a handful more windows popped into view by candlelight. In the near dusk, it looked like the hillsides were glowing. “What is that place?”

“It’s a smial,” Ami said. “Or rather it’s a group of smials linked together by tunnels and ramps. Our apartment is in the guest quarters, just around that bend.” She tugged on Perry’s hand, and he obliged by taking a step but then stopped. He was as awestruck as the rest of the group.

“How do ye not get lost in that, lass?” he asked.

“I do sometimes,” Ami admitted. “I get turned around or forget where I need to go. You get used to it. It’s not so bad once you’re inside.”

“Maybe we could take our rest out here,” Filigon suggested with desperate hope. “And we’ve ‘et already, Miss Esmeralda.”

“Aye, it’d be better to approach Mr. Adalgrim in the morn, don’t you think Perry?” Merlin said.

“We could get you rooms,” Ami said, heart sinking. “Most of the summer guests have gone and the winter guests won’t arrive until after Harvest, so there’s plenty of room. We might even be able to get you rooms on the same hall, if not next to each other.”

“We’d have to ask the Mistress,” Perry said, even as he wondered if any one hobbitess could possibly be in charge of a home that large. 

Esme caught Ami’s eyes and shook her head. Asking Lalia’s permission would mean explaining who they were and why they were here. It was a complication best to be avoided if at all possible. Ami nodded, giving in with reluctance. “I’ll come fetch you first thing in the morning. At least that way, I can prepare Da and Mum, and we could have breakfast in the apartment. Do you need help setting up camp?”

“Nay, we’ve got it,” Arvin said. He and Will were already heading back down the hill to the next slope over. They couldn’t seem to get away fast enough. 

Ambrosia shook her head. “It won’t look so big come day is my guess,” she said with confidence. “It’ll just look like a hill. It’s the lights, see. There’s just so many of them.”

Ami and Esme followed the group to where they were making their camp. Ami held onto Perry’s hand the whole time, reluctant to let go. She didn’t know how she would manage to sleep tonight, with him so close. Yet he might as well be in Nohill for all the good it did them. 

When they reached the spot where Arvin and Will had begun to lay out their things, Perry forced himself to let go of Ami’s hand. “I’ll see ye in the morn, lass.”

“We’ll watch the sunrise together,” Ami promised. Since she wouldn’t be getting much sleep, she was certain she would be awake with time to come here before dawn. She also sensed it would be best to get them inside the Smials and the apartment before too many of the gentry could awaken.

Perry smiled sweetly, remembering their first, and so far only, sunrise. “Aye, I’d like that.”

They kissed once more, a meeting of lips and a promise of tomorrow. Then Esme hooked her arm around Ami’s elbow and pulled her sister away. The hike back to the Smials was done in silence. Ami was lost in her thoughts, walking on a cloud as they say. Esme was lost in thoughts of her own and none of them cheerful. She simply didn’t see how they could get away with this. They had been lucky that there had been no other hobbits around to witness Ami’s and Perry’s reunion, but even if they could get the group inside in the morning without being seen, what then? She sensed trouble looming but she kept those fears quiet. Ami was too happy to ruin her mood with doubts.

They made it to their apartment, running into only a few others. Thankfully, no one stopped to exchange pleasantries though Lalia seemed on the verge of asking them something. She settled on wishing them goodnight and saying she was looking forward to their farewell tea tomorrow. For reasons she couldn’t fathom, that sent shivers down Esme’s spine and rose the hairs on the back of her neck. She told herself there was nothing to worry about. The farewell tea was a tradition and the engagement had been set since last week. They bade Lalia goodnight and made it to the apartment without further incidence. 

As luck would have it, Adalgrim and Clematis were both in the apartment, getting ready to leave again for drinks in one of the main parlors. One look at Ami and the pendant around her neck and they quickly changed their plans. A half-moment later Ami was hugging them fiercely.

“He came, Mum. He’s here. Well, he’s not here here in the Smials here but he and his friends are camping on the hills here and they’ll be here tomorrow morning once I go to fetch them. He gave me this, it’s from his grandmother actually, so she still doesn’t entirely approve but she’s willing to accept me, and I invited them to come in so we could get them all rooms, but he didn’t want to come into the Smials tonight, none of them did really, I think they weren’t prepared for the size of it, but he’s here and he’s asked for my hand and I gave it to him and-”

“Darling, breathe dearest,” Clematis gently chided. She and Adalgrim exchanged a look. They had come to the path and found themselves unprepared to take it. Of course, they wanted their daughter to be happy, and she clearly was at the moment. She was radiant with hope. They also wanted to have a serious discussion with Perry Nettleburr before they gave their consent.

“How many of them are there?” Adalgrim asked.

“Seven,” Esme answered. “I figured it would be best to have first breakfast here.”

“Yes,” Clematis agreed, thinking ahead. She had been letting the cupboards run low since they were to be leaving in two day’s time. There wouldn’t be enough to feed a group that size. “I’ll find Belinda and ask her to bring us provisions for tomorrow. You’ll take Pally with you when you go to fetch the group. He’s staying the night with Ferdinand.”

“And Rosamunda,” Esme said. “If Ami tiptoes over to Uncle Siggy’s to wake Pally to go fetch Perry in the wee hours, you can be sure everyone in the Smials will know about it before first breakfast. She’ll wake them all up if she has to.”

Adalgrim nodded. “I’ll ask Pally to cancel his plans, or perhaps Ferdinand will agree to sleep here instead. He’s better at being discreet than his sister.”

“Try to get some rest, Darling,” Clematis said. “Tomorrow will be a long day.”

They kissed their daughters goodnight and left. Ami sighed happily as the apartment door closed behind her. A half-moment later, she was looking at the door in alarm.

“What?” Esme asked.

Ami turned a fretful gaze on her sister. “I don’t have anything to wear!” She dashed down the hall to her room. 

After a pause, Esme followed, certain that Ami’s wardrobe was the last thing about which her sister need worry.





To be continued....



GF 11/8/11





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List