Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Kindred  by GamgeeFest

At length, the Thain came to the summer of 1365. Twitch thought he could guess now where they were going, though he still didn’t know why. He did know that they were close, despite his previous assumptions, and they would be there within the hour once they were off again. 

He was curious about their destination, but he was nervous as well. From the Thain’s brief description, it didn’t sound like a place where he wanted to spend much time. In fact, if it were possible to turn around and go home now, he would. He looked off in the direction where he assumed they would soon be headed. There was nothing to see there at the moment besides rolling green plains and wildflowers. An occasional tree stood tall and proud, offering shade. 

The Thain got to the point of Ami’s coming of age party and suddenly stopped talking. Twitch shifted uncomfortably. They had only the silence to keep them company.


~*~


Chapter 17: Truths Revealed

Getting the master ostler to release Sprig from his duties had been simple enough, once Adalgrim explained to him that he and his family wanted to go small game hunting and needed a guide who knew the lands closer to Pincup. Getting Sprig to join them had also been simple, as the lad was under orders and had no choice. Getting him to tell them anything was another matter. Paladin was of the mind that the groom knew nothing of Ami’s machinations, but the groom still knew something. Sprig had met Perry briefly, for one, and he was from Pincup, for another. Pally said as much but this only seemed to make Sprig more reluctant to talk.

Clematis finally asked as a concerned mother for her darling daughter, and Sprig sighed and told them what he knew about Perry Nettleburr and the hamlet from which he hailed. This only prompted Adalgrim and Clematis to ride faster.

They rode over the Green Hill Country to reach Pincup on its southern edge. Sprig didn’t take them into town, which they could just glimpse beyond its outlying fields and ranches. Instead, he turned them south down the main road and led them for some miles, until the last homestead was a dot on the horizon and all around them were empty fields and bright sky.

“Is it much farther?” Clematis asked. She wore a hat to keep off the sunlight, but she was perspiring from the heat and going through her water bottle at an alarming rate.

“I’m not sure, Mistress,” Sprig said. “I’ve naught been there myself. I know at some point we have to leave the road and go east. I’m just not sure where.”

“How did Ami know where to find this place?” Pally asked, looking at Sprig accusingly.

Sprig looked back, his expression bland. “That I don’t know, Master Paladin.”

They only rested for a few minutes, eager to be on their way again. Sprig wished they would rest longer, it being their first break. They had been eating from the saddle and riding continuously through the hottest part of a mid-summer day. He feared the mistress would pass out from heat exhaustion if they continued much longer, but she took the reins of her pony in a stubborn grip and Sprig knew it would be useless to protest. He led them forward, gauging the road as best he could from the few scant directions he remembered overhearing from his childhood.

They rode for another few miles before he led them off the road, reminding them again he wasn’t entirely sure where the hamlet lay. There was nothing around them but open fields and silent earth. Few trees grew here, not so much as a bush, and aside from the wildflowers and butterflies there was no sign of life. 

It was two hours later when Pally pointed to a spot on the horizon where a plume of smoke appeared to be rising out of the earth. They continued in that direction and as they drew closer, they began to make out forms moving back and forth. Closer still, and they could make out the shapes of the now famous black-faced sheep, some cows, a couple of goats, several chickens - and a line of bedraggled hobbits standing cross-armed and waiting for them. 

Sprig sensed trouble and slowed to a stop. “Best to let me talk to ‘em, sir,” he said to Adalgrim. “They’re untrusting of gentlefolk.” 

Adalgrim nodded, searching the line and beyond for any glimpse of his daughter. Clematis looked ready to pass out, and Pally was frowning. He too was searching beyond the line and he didn’t like what he saw there. No homes. The few buildings he saw were poorly built and didn’t seem to be much used. There were a few unkempt pens for the livestock that were currently wandering about as they pleased. There were several plots for growing vegetables and small crop. These at least were well-tended and flourishing, but there was only enough to feed those who lived here. There would be nothing left to trade, nothing left for lean winters, of which he was sure they saw many. 

They dismounted and walked the rest of the way to the line of hobbits. Nearly all of the villagers wore the same sort of formless breeches and shirts, many times mended. Several shapeless dresses also appeared in the line. All their faces were hard and suspicious. A few held gardening hoes that could quickly be repurposed as weapons should the need arise.

Sprig bade the Tooks to stop and went the last few steps alone. He nodded cordially. 

“Hullo,” he said. “My name’s Sprig Dingle. These are the Tooks, Mr. Adalgrim, Mistress Clematis and Master Paladin. We’ve come to retrieve their daughter, Miss Amaryllis Took, who we have on good authority as having come here in search of one of your own, Perry Nettleburr.”

“Aye? And who’s authority is that?” asked an older hobbit. He was nearly bald, with just a few tufts left around his ears and nape, and as he spoke, Sprig could see he was missing some teeth as well. 

“We know she came this way,” Sprig said. “We know she is friends with Nettleburr and that she intended to see him.”

“And how exactly be you knowing this?” the old hobbit asked again.

“She said as much,” Sprig lied.

“She ain’t here,” the old hobbit said.

Sprig nearly asked if there was really any ‘here’ here, but he didn’t want to insult them. Things were going bad enough as it was. He looked around and spotted Buttercream, the bay-and-white pony that Ami had taken from the stables. “That’s her pony.” It was, in fact, the only other pony there.

The hobbits shuffled on their feet and their apparent leader scrunched up his face, thinking quickly. 

“You’ve no authority to be here. Be off,” he said at last.

“I have no authority?” Adalgrim asked, incensed. “She is my daughter!”

“And ye gave her leave to go as she wished,” the hobbit replied. “Now as yer not liking where she’s come, ye changed yer mind.”

Sprig cringed inwardly. So much for not insulting them. They clearly understood the situation for what it was, and the Tooks’ simple presence here was insult enough already.

“Besides, she’s of age,” the fellow said, but Sprig could see the doubt in his eyes.

Ceasing a chance, Sprig said, “She’s not actually. Not for another few months.”

“No, she is,” a young lad said. “Perry was there at the fair last year when she turned thirty-two. She’ll be thirty-three now, the fair being over.”

“Ye best be off,” said another of the burly chaps. 

“I want to see my daughter!” Adalgrim said.

“Please,” said Clematis. “We only want to talk to her.”

A mother’s plea was difficult to ignore. The line started shifting uncomfortably again and at last the old hobbit took one small half-step forward. “We speak with Banks only.”

Sprig’s ears pricked at this, his own suspicion rising. Unless things had changed drastically since he left for his apprenticeship, these folk didn’t speak with anyone. The lack of a first name indicated that they knew only the surname of the primary family of Pincup and were hoping to get rid of them long enough to... do what? Spirit Ami and Perry away? To where?

“Which Banks?” he asked.

The fellow narrowed his eyes. Those holding the garden hoes gripped the handles more tightly.

Clematis decided she’d had enough. She charged the line and pushed through a couple of the lasses, who were too surprised at this sudden insurgence to do anything but gape after her. “Ami! Darling!” she called, walking around the gardens, searching the ground for entrance holes. “Ami! It’s your mum. Come out at once, lass.”

The two lasses who had let Clematis through broke away from the line, but they only followed her at a close distance. Adalgrim and Pally instinctually stayed where they were as the line reformed and tightened after the loss of two of their rank. 

“Amaryllis! Please, Darling, we just want to talk. Ami!”

No one and nothing stirred.




“So I take it ye’ve got a plan for getting us wood?” Perry asked.

Ami nodded. “It’s the standard way of doing business. You can’t build without wood, and there’s no way you can pay for all the wood we’re going to need. You can however become tree wards.”

“Tree wards?” Merlin asked.

Eveline brought them tea. Her mouth was still a tight line, but she at least looked interested. The meeting that morning had been more successful than any of them could have hoped. The other tenants of Nohill had been excited and eager at the idea of making proper homes and buildings. The elders were wary and hesitant about dealing with the Banks family, or anyone outside their little hamlet, but they couldn’t deny the wishes of everyone else. 

After the meeting, Ami had shown them her designs and taken the villagers around the shacks, explaining what could be done with the buildings and how. She emphasized that these were only her suggestions and all final decisions rested with them. She explained that she could help them design their own homes, whatever they needed or wanted. They listened attentively and afterward seemed to have warmed up to her considerably. Ambrosia even invited Ami to go foraging when the other lasses were getting ready to set out. They were now back and Ami was meeting with Perry and his kin in their hole to talk about possible negotiating strategies. 

“Yes, tree wards,” Ami said. “The woods don’t belong to any one Hobbit, of course, nor to the Banks family. It’s the custom that if you need the wood, you can cut down whatever you can replace, so long as it’s not too much.”

“But we can’t replace naught,” Merlin said.

“No, but we can buy seeds,” Ami said. “You offer to pick a section of wood to raze and clear, then you’ll replant and tend it until the saplings are hardy enough to continue to grow on their own. You’ll continue to watch over your section of woods for signs of possible disease or rot. The usual contract is five or ten years, depending on the types of trees. Ideally, you’d have trees already growing in planters to be transported to the forest. We could still do that, but it would mean a delay of at least two years.”

“And that should work?” Eveline asked, doubt in her eyes.

“You’ll need to go before the assembly to make your bid.”

“Assembly?” Perry said.

Ami nodded. “Or whatever they have here in these parts. In the Tooklands, it’s usually just Uncle Peanut. The Thain, Fortinbras,” she clarified at their blank expressions. “It could be you’ll only have to speak with Reynard Banks. If there is an assembly, getting Reynard on your side will go a long way to getting the others to agree.”

“Mr. Banks seems like an agreeable chap,” Perry said, but he still looked nervous and more than a little overwhelmed. 

As long as he’s been wanting this for his people, things now seemed to be moving too fast. He had originally planned on rebuilding the hamlet five years down the line, once they had everything they needed to properly sustain themselves, and his plan had only involved homes, at least to start. Ami wanted to do everything all at once: homes, nurseries, sheds, gardens, pens, cellars, tanneries and who knew what else. There were simply not enough of them to do everything she wanted to do, not in a year’s time. Not in ten year’s time.

He was about to say just this when Merlin stiffened. Merlin was sitting closest to the ramp, and Perry noticed his brother’s ears twitching. The concern on Merlin’s face was alarming. “Beak?”

“I hear something,” Merlin said.

They all stopped to listen and soon enough, they could hear it too. A woman was calling Ami’s name.

“Mum?” Ami said, startled, and stood up. “That sounds like my mother. But how?”

“So much for no one knowing where ye are,” Perry said, standing as well.

“Esme,” Ami muttered. “They must have cracked her.”

“So your mother’s here,” Eveline said, giving Perry a knowing look. Perry missed it though as he was watching Ami closely.

“Ye have to go up there, lass,” Perry said.

“They’ll want to take me back,” Ami said and grabbed Perry’s hand.

Eveline huffed and went back to the kitchen. Merlin remained seated, unsure what to do. Perry motioned for him to stay where he was and, gripping Ami’s hand, led her up the ramp.



There was movement to the right. A head popped out of a shallow slope in the ground, followed by a torso and legs. He was a young chap with golden-brown hair and bright golden eyes, wearing slightly cleaner and less motley clothes than the rest of the hobbits present. Pally recognized Perry Nettleburr instantly. He leaned into his father’s side and whispered in his ear, “That’s him.”

Perry nodded politely to Clematis, who was standing just a few yards away, and turned to offer a hand to the lass following him out of the burrow. Ami.

Clematis ran to her and hugged her tightly. Perry gave a wave and the line of sentries broke apart. Adalgrim and Pally hurried to Ami and joined the hug. Sprig watched with the others, curious and still wondering how they had come to be here. Surely, this must be some sort of odd dream he was having.

Ami managed to pry herself loose after a few minutes. Her parents were too busy asking her how she was doing for her to answer, but once the hug ended, they fell silent. She stood back and took Perry’s hand. “Mum, Da, Pally. This is Perry Nettleburr. He is the friend I met at the Fair last year. Perry, this is my father Adalgrim Took, my mother Clematis Grubb Took, and my brother Paladin.”

Courteous as you please, she made the introductions as though they were standing in the entrance hall of Great Smials or sitting to tea in the parlor of their guest rooms. They all shook hands, going along with the ruse. 

“Adalgrim Took at your service,” Adalgrim said with a tight bow.

“Peregrin Nettleburr, at the service of you and your family,” Perry said, bowing back. “It is an honor to meet you at last, Mr. Adalgrim.”

He formally greeted Clematis and Paladin next. Only years of ingrained manners made Pally bow to the lad. All the while, Ami kept a grip on Perry’s hand, as though she believed if she let go for even a second, they might whisk her away. After the introductions and another awkward silence, Adalgrim seemed to recall where they actually stood.

“Darling, we need to have a word with you. In private.”

“Of course.” Ami dimpled, her grip on Perry’s hand tightening.

Perry slipped his hand free and gently pushed her towards her parents. Another wave of his hand and the hobbits dispersed entirely, going into their holes or the few buildings that were present. He rested a reassuring hand on Ami’s shoulder before retreating himself, going back into the ground. 

Clematis linked her arm around Ami’s waist and guided her back to where they had been resisted. Sprig politely removed himself to check on the filly, who was milling about with the sheep and cows, munching grass and enjoying the sun. It gave the illusion of distance, but voices traveled well here on the plain and he could hear their conversation clearly. He bet those hiding in the buildings could hear also and were likely keeping an eye out in case the Tooks attempted to take Ami away against her will. 

“Let me guess. Esme told you,” Ami said.

“We made her, yes,” Adalgrim said. “Marcho refused to say anything, at least so far.”

“What exactly did Esme tell you?”

Clematis took her daughter’s hand. She was scrutinizing Ami, making sure her daughter really was all right. “That you believe yourself in love with this lad, that you came here to help him build proper homes, that once you had done that you intended to bring him to the Tooklands to ask permission to marry him.”

Sprig’s heart shrunk at this. Clearly, they had to be wrong, and yet, what were they doing here otherwise? He waited for Ami’s response, holding his breath and hoping for... he wasn’t sure what. 

“To ask for your approval, yes,” Ami said. “I don’t require your permission.”

“You don’t?” Adalgrim said, sounding as astonished as the others looked. “You’ve got another think coming, lass, if that’s what you believe.”

“We could have eloped yesterday,” Ami said.

“Where?”

It was a fair question. A proper Took lass showing up with a lad obviously below her station and without her kin to witness would have difficulty finding anyone willing to risk such a ceremony. Even in Bree they would find the situation odd. 

Sprig rested his forehead against Buttercream’s flanks. All this time, he had imagined Miss Darling was a proper lass, but a proper lass would never do such a thing as this: sneaking around, lying, running away to be with a derelict. He had defended her based on that belief. How had he been so wrong? He didn’t want to hear anything else, but he didn’t have much of a choice.

“I did the research,” Ami said. “Anyone is capable of performing the service, and any seven adults can sign as witnesses. There are more than enough people here to qualify, and the contract would be as legally binding as any other. It’s only tradition that kin sign as witnesses and that the service be performed by a family head or lawyer, if not the mayor or those in his employ.”

“Darling,” Clematis said, beseeching, “you hardly know this lad. How can you be so sure that he’s what you want?”

“What makes you think he isn’t using you for your money?” Paladin asked.

Ami took a deep, even breath before replying. “First, I do know him. I know the important things: he’s kind, fair, intelligent, and an exceptional leader. He’s honest.” She gave her brother a piercing look. “Everything else, I’ll learn as I go along. That’s how all relationships work. If you need proof that he isn’t using me: one, he didn’t even know that I was coming; two, he tried to send me home as soon as I got here and again this morning until I refused to go; three, he won’t even hear of using any of the money I brought with me; and four, he actually has more money than I do. Anything else?”

“But Darling.” Adalgrim looked around, unsettled all over again. “How can he possibly provide for you? You can’t honestly want to live here.”

“Why not? A home is a home, whether it’s above ground, in a hillside or below it. It may not have all the comforts that we’re accustomed to but it has everything that’s needed.”

“To survive, Darling. That’s all,” Clematis said.

“You haven’t even spoken to Perry,” Ami said. “Come down and meet his family. Talk to him. Please.”

Adalgrim and Clematis conferenced silently with their eyes and nodded. “We would like very much to speak with him,” Adalgrim said. His tone and set shoulders weren’t promising. 

“Right this way,” Ami said and turned to lead them over the ground. She stopped at a hole and whistled, waited, then descended into the earth. After more brief glances between them, her parents and brother followed. 

Sprig watched them disappear and tried not to shiver. None of this made any sense to him, but he reminded himself he was only here as a guide. He hoped to soon be guiding them back to Tuckborough. All of them.




The meeting could have gone worse. It could have gone better, and might have if Eveline hadn’t spoken up when she did. Adalgrim and Eveline took seats on the tree stumps, while the others settled down on the rugs. Clematis and Paladin flanked Ami, separating her from Perry and Merlin. Ami introduced everyone, explained more fully how she and Perry met and what she’d been planning this last year. 

Then it was Perry’s turn. He explained how he came to be at the Free Fair the year before and why, and how he has been planning to improve things here for his kin and people. He was polite and appeared confident, but he was addressing Adalgrim and Clematis with proper titles, the first real sign of how nervous he truly was. Ami wanted to take his hand but didn’t dare reach around her mother to do so. 

“It was a smart decision to go to the Free Fair last year,” Clematis said. “That’s a long journey, when there’s a fair right here in Pincup.”

“Me granddad had told us about it a few times, and it was free,” Perry said. “We’ve no money to speak of, so I couldn’t figure a way to pay for a stall or whatnot. I weren’t too sure where the Free Fair was even. Just started heading west, then followed the others heading that way once I was close enough. I’d never been so frightened or unsure of myself. If yer daughter hadn’t found me, I’d’ve turned tail and run for it. Ye’ve a kind and caring lass.”

Ami smiled and felt herself blush. She shook her head. “You wouldn’t have left.”

“She taught me a valuable lesson that day - if ye pretend to be confident well enough, confidence will come to ye.” He returned her smile, everyone else momentarily forgotten. “It’s served me well. So this year I decided to try the one in Pincup. It is closer, as ye say, and I figured there weren’t no harm in offering a trade, as we lacked coin. 

“I met with Mr. Reynard Banks, and I was right nervous about it. Me granddad never trusted no one, always said as those Outside weren’t to be trusted, especially the gentry, which weren’t fair of him, considering. Mr. Banks is a kind chap and honest. He was more than happy to give me a stall for payment once the fair was over. All I had to offer was one of our sheep, but he said as the fare weren’t nearly worth that much. He let me set up my stall and told me to find him once I had the required coin. He trusted me. How could I not trust him in return?”

“Well, you certainly are ambitious,” Adalgrim said, with something close to praise in his voice. “You said you wanted to improve your community.”

Perry nodded. “Aye sir. We can’t be flooding out every spring with the rains no more. Most of our folk ain’t so young anymore and it’s that hard on them. The buildings we do have leak so much as to hardly be worth the shelter. I’d no idea where to start though, figured that was still a few years down the way, until Ami came with her plans and sketches. For the first time, I’m beginning to think it might actually be possible. What’s more, everyone else is eager to start working. It’ll be a long road, but we’re willing to travel it.”

“You have some plan in mind for accomplishing this, I assume,” Adalgrim said. “How are you to build with no materials?”

“We were just discussing plans for that when you arrived,” Ami said. “I was telling you earlier, Perry got some coin during the fair this year. With some imagination, we can make that stretch a long way. The folk here have great skill with working hides, and they don’t have a tannery in Pincup. I thought they could set one up here. As for wood for building, they could sign a contract to be tree wards and get their wood that way. Wood will be easier to acquire than stone, not to mention easier to transport. As for getting tools, they could offer product from the tannery they’re going to build in exchange for tools now. It’s a common enough practice.” 

“We’re willing to try anything, so long as it’s fair,” Perry said, getting up to pour himself some water. He took a drink, topped the glass again and retook his seat. Merlin jumped up and offered tea to everyone else and served this as well. When Merlin was seating again, Perry continued. 

“There’s trust to be built with the folk in Pincup on both sides. Me granddad weren’t a trusting fellow, nor were his friends. They taught us to be wary of outside folk, especially the gentry. Said as they take as they wish and don’t care ‘bout those they take it from. I’ve not seen that to be the way of it. I did talk to Mr. Banks after the fair about wanting to build some here, and he said as he can find folk to help us, so long as we help them in turn, with the harvesting and sowing and whatnot. I’ve yet to convince everyone on the idea, but I will. Along with the plans yer daughter has, I think we might actually be able to accomplish this, and it’ll strengthen our relationship with Pincup. We’ll work and trade fair for all we get, and we’ll have a proper home.”

Adalgrim and Clematis nodded with approval. Next they discussed Perry’s lineage and were surprised to discover he was distantly related to the Bolgers through his great-great-great grandmother. Perry told them about growing up in Nohill, about some of the hardships of living with little but also the many joys of living in such a close knit community. He told them about learning to cook from his grandmother and to hunt from his grandfather and father. He told them about his lessons with his mother and uncle, and his many treks and explorations through the fields with his brother and friends. He could almost be speaking of Tuckborough or Whitwell by the way he talked.

It was clear to Ami that her parents were impressed with Perry and hope began to flutter in her chest. Even Paladin had begrudging approval in his eyes, hiding behind the skepticism. There was a lot of skepticism. When Perry finally got to a stopping point, Pally asked, “Pardon me, but how did this... village come to be here in the first place?”

Eveline’s mouth disappeared again and Merlin held his breath, trying to catch his brother’s eye. Perry glanced briefly at Ami. She thought she could read that look, regret that she had to hear it this way and hope that she would understand. Perry took a deep breath and looked squarely at Adalgrim and Clematis. 

“The official story is me granddad and his friends settled there after the Fell Winter. Their village, Brokenstone, at the base of the Brockenborings, had been crippled in an avalanche, and the recovery was slow. They figured they stood a better chance rebuilding elsewhere. Might’ve helped if they’d brought a carpenter along, but they knew the basics and figured as that was good enough. It wasn’t, of course. They had no tools, no materials, naught but the clothes on their backs and whatever they could carry with ‘em. Me granddad said as he settled here in Nohill as it was just below the hills of Pincup; it reminded him of home. I know as they tried to make relations with those in Pincup at first, but every town and village was suffering then and they’d not much to spare or offer, and me granddad had even less. The decision was made to go it on their own, and so it stayed that way until me granddad passed away and I took over.

“That’s the official story. It’s not all as happened though.” Perry swallowed and ignored the steely gaze of his grandmother. He plowed ahead. “Me granddad was desperate to feed his family, as were those who had gone away with him. They were settled for a time in the Woody End, but there was hardly any wildlife to hunt or wild food to gather. They’d brought a few pennies with ‘em, but those were long gone by the spring, when some of their friends got the ague. Me granddad figured if they could get more money, they’d be able to get what they needed. So he went back to Brockenstone, snuck into the home of his former employers and stole their cache, which he knew they kept hidden in a secret drawer in their wardrobe. He was caught sneaking back out. They branded him a thief, gave him a few coins and sent him on his way. He got back to the Woody End, picked up camp, brought everyone here and threw the coins afield. Coin was banned and we’ve been making due with what we’ve got ever since. We don’t accept charity or help that we can’t repay. We’re careful to be fair and honest in our trades.”

Silence followed this revelation. Paladin’s skepticism had won out, all admiration gone, but Adalgrim and Clematis at least seemed to be attempting to understand. There were many stories of hobbits starving to death in the years following the Fell Winter. Many hobbits had been displaced or left willingly to find their own way. Very few of those settlements survived, as those who settled there eventually returned to their homes or assimilated into other towns or villages. The villagers of Nohill hadn’t had that choice, or at least, Perry’s grandfather hadn’t. That anyone chose to remain with him, despite what he had done and the additional hardships he had brought them, spoke volumes of his friendship and leadership. 

“I know as me granddad always regretted what he did. Not because he was caught, but because he knew it was wrong to do. I know his reasons for not wanting money in our home, but the plain truth is we need it. That’s why I traded some of the beasts for coins.” He was talking to his grandmother now, hoping she would understand. She sipped her tea and refused now to look at him. 

“That is not what happened and you know it!” she said, her voice nearly strangled with rage. 

“How dare you besmirch yer grandfather’s name?”

“Because he lied to ye, Nana. He lied to everyone. He was afraid if he told everyone the truth, they’d leave him. Ye’d leave him.”

“Ye were there when he told us, Nana,” Merlin said.

Eveline shook her head. “He weren’t thinking right when he said that, and ye said as ye wouldn’t go repeating his lies.”

“And I haven’t,” Perry said.

Eveline stood, her face pinched and eyes glaring. “Even if that is true, they didn’t have to be branding him as they did! They made sure as he’d never be able to provide for us again. Yer grandfather was right.” She glared at the Tooks. “The gentry can’t be trusted. They’ll use ye up then turn ye out. Thank ye kindly for coming to retrieve yer daughter. Ye can all be on yer way now.”

Perry stood and faced his grandmother. “Ye can’t turn Ami away if she’s not wanting to go.”

“No? I am still in charge of this family, and she’s not welcome here.”

“She’s here to help the village. It’s naught to do with this family. She can stay if she wants.”

Eveline smiled sadly. “She’s here for ye, lad, and naught else. It’s everything to do with this family. She’s going. Maybe once she’s gone, ye’ll start thinking clearly again.” She plowed on before Perry could protest. “She doesn’t belong here, and ye know it. Ye said so yerself last night. Now do as ye should of done this morn and say yer farewells. The sooner ye do it, the easier it’ll be.”

“You said that, Perry?” Ami asked.

Perry met Ami’s gaze with reluctance. He thought for a moment then turned to her parents. “May I have a moment alone with yer daughter? Just a moment.”

Adalgrim considered him closely then nodded slowly. “Of course,” he said. 

Everyone else stood, except Ami who remained where she was seated, looking at the rug. They filed outside, squinting a little as their eyes adjusted to the sunlight. The Tooks moved a few paces away from the hole, as did the Nettleburrs. Merlin looked forlorn and Eveline looked no better. She knew she was hurting her grandson, but she knew also it was for the best. Eventually, he would understand that.

Clematis felt she should say something, perhaps apologize for what happened to Eveline’s husband, but she doubted that would solve anything. Eveline might even feel that Clematis was being condescending. Adalgrim was torn. He quite liked Perry and thought him a good, sensible lad, but he couldn’t leave his daughter here. Paladin was eager to go and he watched the hole with suspicion. He didn’t trust Perry alone with his sister, especially as the moments stretched into minutes. What was taking so long?

They stood in awkward silence until Ami and Perry finally emerged from below. Both looked worn and red-eyed, and their hands were clasped tight. Perry led Ami to her family and with great effort handed her over to her mother. “Ye’ve a fine lass, Mr. Adalgrim. It was my honor to know her.”

Adalgrim had trouble meeting that pain-filled gaze, but he somehow managed it. He swallowed the tightness in his own throat and said, “It was our honor to meet you, Master Peregrin. Good luck in your endeavors. Extend our farewells to your grandmother and your brother.”

Adalgrim put his arms around Ami’s shoulders. She was shaking so badly she could hardly walk on her own and it took him and Clematis both to guide her back to the ponies. She didn’t even notice Sprig as he helped her onto her pony. Pally mounted his steed and took Buttercream’s reins. Once they were all mounted, Adalgrim led them out of the hamlet; they didn’t see the line of villagers who gathered to see them off but Sprig did.

He couldn’t have seen things as he thought he had, yet it was hard to argue with himself over it. Miss Ami, his lovely, delightful and proper Darling, had come to this accursed place because she was enamored with that shepherd lad. That lad had even less position than Sprig did and was entirely unworthy of Miss Ami’s affections, which surely Miss Ami had to know. When he thought of all those times he stood up for Ami and defended her honor, it made him sick with disappointment. He wanted nothing more than to get back to Tuckborough and never see the Whitwell Tooks again.




They reached Pincup just before teatime and stopped at the inn to check in for the night. There had been no discussion about trying to make it to Tuckborough; Ami was too distraught to stay in saddle for that long. As it was, she hardly made it to Pincup and once checked into their rooms, she went straight into the second chamber, insisting she was tired. Clematis brought her a tray of tea and crumpets and left her to her sorrows. Knowing she wouldn’t notice if they left the inn, they went across town to Ridge Manor, home of the Banks family. Adalgrim wanted more information on the squatters in Nohill and hoped that Reynard Banks would have some answers.

They found Reynard at home and they were ushered into the sitting room where the family was enjoying tea. The Bankses rose to their feet and Reynard made the introductions: his wife Nomina, his sons Lanson and Beregin, and his daughter Eglantine. Adalgrim introduced himself, Clematis and Paladin and after a series of never-ending handshakes, they all sat down. The maid arrived with cups and plates for the guests and served their tea. 

They chatted amiably while they ate, about the weather and the crops and the fair that just ended. When they exhausted the food, Reynard excused his children. Paladin was likewise dismissed, much to his chagrin. He went outside with Lanson, Beregin and Eglantine where some of the servants’ children were playing a round of kickball. The Banks children joined them immediately, and after a moment’s hesitation, Pally followed. He needed the distraction from whatever was taking place inside the smial.

Adalgrim and Clematis waited until the door was closed behind the children. Nomina and Reynard exchanged a look and turned to their guests. “We received your letter just this morning, so I take it this isn’t a social call?” Reynard said, blunt and to the point.

“It is not, no,” Adalgrim said. He explained as briefly as possible what had happened, leaving out as many details as he could while still keeping the story coherent. He made no mention of Perry’s grandfather and the thievery that had forced them into exile. Finally he finished his story and said, “What can you tell us of this hamlet?”

“Nothing you don’t already know,” Reynard said. “In fact, you know a great deal more than we ever did. They’re not a trusting bunch, from the little I’ve dealt with them. I’m surprised they let any of you into their hamlet at all.”

“Our dealings with them are brief, when we have any at all,” Nomina said. “They keep to themselves and don’t harm anybody or anything. Livestock might wander that way during a storm; they bring the livestock back, in exchange for hides and supplies.”

“Their leader now is a young chap named Perry Nettleburr,” Clematis said. “He told us he met with you.”

“Yes indeed. He’s quite an astute and observant young lad, a quick study, that one,” Reynard said. “He came to the Fair this year, seeking trade in livestock. He sought our audience for a tea just before the Fair to inform us he’d be there, in case it caused a stir. Quite a surprise, all the way around. He was more intelligent than I would have expected, though I certainly never had the impression any of them were dull. Far from it. He was even learned in some of our history and legends and he knew his numbers, yet he couldn’t tell a farthing from a penny and seemed unfamiliar with most of our cutlery. Isn’t that remarkable?”

“We spoke with him at length this afternoon,” Clematis said. “He makes quite the impression.”

“He has a way about him,” Nomina said, weighing her words carefully. “He always seems in control, so confident. It draws people to him. It’s no wonder he turned your daughter’s head.”

They asked a few more questions but could get no more information from the Bankses. Finally, they concluded their interview and rose. Their hosts followed them outside, where Pally and the others were still playing kickball. 

“I’m sorry to hear of your misfortune,” Reynard said. “I hope the best for your daughter.”

“She sounds impulsive enough,” Nomina said. “A dashing young lad with spirit should make her forget all about Nettleburr.”

Clematis wasn’t so sure but she knew better than to voice her doubt. She thanked their hosts for their help.

“Come along, Pally,” Adalgrim called when the game reached a lull. “Say farewell to your new friends.”

Pally bade the Bankses farewell and followed his parents back to the inn. Inside their suite, they found Ami sitting on the divan and staring out the window, her eyes red but dried. She looked up bleakly when they entered, then straightened and lifted her chin in preparation for whatever was coming. 

She needn’t have worried. Her parents merely kissed her on the brow before retreating to their room to wash off the day’s ride and discuss what to do next. Pally stood for a time at the window before joining Ami on the divan. He reached over for a crumpet, conscious on his sister’s gaze upon him. He finished his crumpet and sat back, looked at her.

He could have said any number of things but her distress made him reconsider. Whatever she thought she was feeling, it was genuine and painful. He patted her hand and pulled her close for an awkward hug. Then, as though unable to help himself, he said, “Is Marcho really so bad?”

“No,” Ami said. “He’s sweet and kind and caring.”

“So then why not give him a real chance?”

To his surprise, Ami nodded. “I suppose.”

Pally suspected she simply didn’t have the energy to argue. Or perhaps she had used her time alone to consider the situation practically and had already come to that decision on her own. She could be quite pragmatic when she put her mind to it. 

He didn’t say anything else and finally Ami pulled away. “I need some fresh air.” She slipped outside. 

Pally waited a few moments and followed her. She could be pragmatic; she rarely was though and he didn’t want her slipping away on his watch. He needn’t have worried. Ami wandered the town, keeping away from the more crowded lanes. After an hour or so of this aimless wandering, she returned to the inn and their rooms. If she knew Pally was following her at a distance, she made no indication of it.

Pally waited until she closed the door on her room again before returning outside. He needed some fresh air himself, hoping perhaps a good walk and a clear head could help him make sense of the day’s many revelations. 

The sun was on its final descent. The surrounding trees muted the sunset’s startling orange glow to a dusky yellow, casting everything in a mellow light that helped to ease his heart and mind. Yet no matter how far or long he walked, he could not begin to understand why his sister was willing to throw everything away for this scrap, especially when the scrap didn’t even want her. No, Pally didn’t quite believe that. He had not missed the pain in the lad’s eyes when he had turned to address Adalgrim and send Ami home. At least the lad had sense enough to know where Ami belonged, even if she didn’t. 

“Farthing for your thoughts.”

Pally startled. He had been leaning against a fence and hadn’t heard the approaching footsteps. He turned to find Eglantine Banks leaning over the fence a few feet away, watching him curiously. He looked past her and realized he had come to a stop outside Ridge Manor.

He laughed ruefully. “I doubt they’re worth that much.”

“It’s the least I can offer,” Eglantine said, which was true enough. Shire currency went no lower than a farthing, but Pally caught the double-meaning. 

“What’s the most you can offer?”

Eglantine looked to make sure no one was watching from the manor windows, then snuck a flask from her dress pocket. “It’s bourbon, diluted with cider, so don’t get too excited.” She handed it over. “Consider it medicinal.”

Pally took it gratefully, uncapped it and knocked it back, once, twice. If it was diluted with cider, it wasn’t diluted by much. The sting started in the back of his throat and quickly spread from there, punching its way into his sinuses and gut. He spluttered and coughed, handing back the flask. Dimly, he heard her laughing over the roar of the liquor in his ears. When the onslaught subsided, he fixed his hostess with a hard stare. It had little effect on her.

“Feeling better now?” she asked. She had pocketed the flask again and was watching him with much amusement. “It’s Daddy’s secret recipe.”

“Not secret enough apparently,” Pally said, or tried to say. He had to clear his throat and try again. His voice was scratchy but he managed to make himself understood.

“What fun is a secret if no one else knows about it?” Eglantine looked up at the stars emerging to the East, little white sparks peeking through the coverage of leaves and branches. “I hear your sister is unwell. I am sorry.”

“Thank you.”

“May I ask what she’s ailing from?”

“A broken heart.”

She drew in a sympathetic breath. “Poor dear.”

“She should never have fallen for him in the first place. He’s entirely the wrong person for her.”

“Oh, but the heart doesn’t care much for such considerations,” Eglantine said. “I once had a crush on a lad named Tobias Pincer, a respectable enough family but no real wealth. He was brash and unreformed and entirely exciting.”

“And what happened to good ole Tobias?”

“He stopped being exciting and became annoying and presumptuous, like most lads do.”

“Is that so?” Pally was offended on behalf of lads everywhere but was wise enough not to voice that opinion.

“Oh indeed it is,” Eglantine said gravely. She couldn’t be more than twenty-five, but she managed to sound like a lass wise to the ways of the world, or at least the Shire. “Lads go out of their way to impress us when we first meet them, and once they think they have us, they show themselves for the sloths they really are.”

“No exceptions?”

“There’s always an exception, or so I’m told. I just haven’t found mine yet.”

“Well don’t expect me to try to impress you.”

“No?”

“It hardly seems worth the trouble, does it?” Pally turned to face her. “Perhaps I should start off by disappointing you, that way things can only improve.”

She weighed this option and nodded. “It’s an interesting approach. What are your absolute worst qualities?”

“I’ve been told I take too long to wake up. That is, I wake at the normal hour but I’m not pleasant company until after second breakfast.”

“That is a late hour to become pleasant,” Eglantine agreed. “Go on.”

“I often forget to put the bath towels in the hamper. I can never keep the crumbs on my plate no matter how hard I try. I dunk my crackers in my tea; they taste so much better that way, you know, but it is considered poor form. I’m told I snore, but that never bothers me at nights.”

Eglantine giggled. “Anything else?”

“Not that I can think of at the moment, but I’m sure there’s more.” Pally squinted at her in the failing light. “What about you? What are your worst qualities?”

“Oh, I don’t have any. I’m perfect in every way,” she said, a mischievous grin spreading across her pretty face. 

“Is that so?”

“Tina!” The call came from the manor. No doubt, Nomina had noticed her daughter wasn’t indoors where she belonged. 

“It is so,” Eglantine said, stepping back from the fence.

“Can I call you Tina?” Pally asked, reluctant for her to leave.

Eglantine shook her head. “You may not.” Then still grinning, she turned and ran back into the smial. The soft click of the door shutting announced that Pally was now alone.

Pally pushed away from the fence and returned to the inn, wondering how soon he could write to Eglantine without appearing presumptuous. 





To be continued...





GF 11/4/11





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List