Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Pretty Blue Eyes  by Little Mouse

Pretty Blue Eyes

Chapter 2

Hollin: Why are you here?

            Merry shifted position, trying to find a more comfortable spot on his rock ledge. It was his turn to watch, and it was a quiet one thus far. Too quiet, in fact. It was eerie without the sounds of birds and insects.

            Merry squinted up at the sun. It was nearly noon. Someone would be along shortly to relieve him. Just then, Merry heard footsteps coming up behind him, and he tried to guess who it was. These were not the booted feet of Aragorn or Boromir, nor were they the heavy steps of Gimli. There was no sound of a staff upon the ground, so it was not Gandalf. It did not sound quite like Hobbit feet either. That left him only one choice: Legolas. Merry turned to greet the Elf. “Hello, Legolas. Come to take over the watch from me?”

            Legolas smiled. “Indeed I have, Meriadoc. I trust all has been quiet?”

            “Yes it has. Too quiet. I don’t like not hearing the birds, Legolas.”

            “I know, it is unsettling, isn’t it? Legolas, who was normally so in tune to their surroundings, seemed just as disturbed by the lack of sound as Merry. Even more so, perhaps, because he was so sensitive. Legolas sighed. “Go on and get some rest, Merry. We continue again by nightfall.”

            Merry nodded, and rose to make his way to his bedroll. As Legolas took his place, Merry paused at the top of the path, thinking of something he had been wondering for days, and may not get the chance to ask again. “Legolas?”

            “Yes, Merry?”

            “I…” he hesitated, almost afraid now to ask.

            Legolas turned smiled encouragingly at him, curious as to what this young Hobbit could possible be so hesitant to ask him. “Go on.”

            Merry took a deep breath, and plunged ahead. “I just wanted to know, why are you here? I mean, what do you hope to do on this quest?”

            “I hope to help save Middle Earth and my home, in whatever small way I can.” Legolas turned back to gaze at the empty horizon. “As for why I’m here, I’m here for pretty blue eyes,” he continued softly.

            Puzzled, Merry waited for him to say more, but when he did not, the Hobbit just shook his head and returned to camp, leaving the elven prince to his quiet watch.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List